PDA

View Full Version : Why is it...?

FanSince72
10-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Why is it that virtually EVERY time we play a crap team we end up in these dogfights?

We seem to do well against rivals and teams with good records, but whenever we play against teams with below .500 records or teams with losing streaks we roll up into a ball and end up hoping the clock runs out before it's too late.

Right after we settled for a field goal after Mendy's long run, I thought to myself, "Here we go again" and sure enough it comes down to a Hail Mary.

For Chrissake, we should be blowing out teams like this to the point where we could even rest starters but instead we not only don't do that, but we end up getting starters hurt and limp through the game.

I'll take the "W" but this shit has to stop!

stb_steeler
10-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Why is it that virtually EVERY time we play a crap team we end up in these dogfights?

We seem to do well against rivals and teams with good records, but whenever we play against teams with below .500 records or teams with losing streaks we roll up into a ball and end up hoping the clock runs out before it's too late.

Right after we settled for a field goal after Mendy's long run, I thought to myself, "Here we go again" and sure enough it comes down to a Hail Mary.

For Chrissake, we should be blowing out teams like this to the point where we could even rest starters but instead we not only don't do that, but we end up getting starters hurt and limp through the game.

my favorite part is, we let second string QB's look like heroes to the end...lol
This should give us an idea what the seasons gonna be like! :mad:

lipps83
10-16-2011, 04:24 PM
my favorite part is, we let second string QB's look like heroes to the end...lol

I take it almost losing to the Peyton Manning Colts without Peyton Manning didn't give you an idea?

stb_steeler
10-16-2011, 04:40 PM
I take it almost losing to the Peyton Manning Colts without Peyton Manning didn't give you an idea?

my point exactly....

tony hipchest
10-16-2011, 05:42 PM
both our past 2 coaches are very conservative and chose to turtle shell it. both tomlin and cowher lack that cut throat, killer instinct and the desire to pound an opponents body in the turf.

tomlin should adopt a "no mercey" philosophy instead of trying to get out with a gemtlemanly win.

even poor teams stumble across a 40 point game once in a while. i cant even remember the last time steelers hung up 6 td's (besides kicking around the brownies on opening day a while back).

NEWstevo
10-16-2011, 05:44 PM
If I am going to watch the rest of the season, I will need large quantities of chewable antacid tablets.

After Mendy's long run I was starting to feel bad for the jags cause the Steelers could do nothing wrong. But then, they slowly fell apart and were lucky the game wasn't 2 more minutes.

After the field goal it was Ben's worst 3 quarters since the ravens. And more o-line injuries? Thank god Polamalu was a beast out there... oh wait... now he is injured to?

I am gonna need lots of alcohol too. sigh.

Go Steelers!

tanda10506
10-16-2011, 05:53 PM

12-26, 108 yards, 1TD and 5 sacks? That doesn't look like a hero. The defense played well and being as much as they were on the field in the second half we're lucky we only gave up 100 yards passing. It's not even that the offense was horrible, Ben missed every time but once. The play calling was worse then the first half but it would have been a blowout if Ben hit 2 or 3 of those long bombs he missed.. The D played well, Ben had time, that game was only close cause Ben completely missed all the opportunities we had. IMO with the rest of the team playing as well as it did, we can beat anybody if Ben starts throwing accurate.

GMU Steeler
10-16-2011, 05:55 PM
12-26, 108 yards, 1TD and 5 sacks? That doesn't look like a hero. The defense played well and being as much as they were on the field in the second half we're lucky we only gave up 100 yards passing. It's not even that the offense was horrible, Ben missed every time but once. The play calling was worse then the first half but it would have been a blowout if Ben hit 2 or 3 of those long bombs he missed.. The D played well, Ben had time, that game was only close cause Ben completely missed all the opportunities we had.

Yeah containing Gabbert wasn't the problem today. Jones-Drew had a decent game though. But yeah the problem was that we weren't executing. As I said earlier, had no problem with some of the home run balls but Arians and the Offense needed to adjust. I tell you what I think hurt us though. If we had gotten the TD following the big Mendy run. It would have been a lot more comfortable score wise. Defense looks good. Needs work but they did a good job with Gabbert I thought.

btaylor179
10-16-2011, 07:44 PM
IVE SAID IT BEFORE AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN WE ALWAYS PLAY DOWN TO OUR COMPETITION

steelerjim58
10-16-2011, 07:55 PM
While obviuosly Ben missed some wide open receivers, it seems as though I have seen this play many times over the years. The offense will come out and look unstoppable for a quarter to a quarter and a half , and look like crap the rest of the game.

Atlanta Dan
10-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Ed.B of the P-G sums up the turning point of the game

This was their third series and they moved in for an early kill today. Rashard Mendenhall had just scampered 68 yards for a first down and then a facemask penalty put it halfway to the goalline, at the two

It was time for Isaac Redman to come in and do his short-yardage thing, but as we know, the Steelers only use their best short-yardage back when its short-yardage that does not include the possibility of scoring a touchdown. Mendenhall got them down there and dad-gum it, he would get the "glory" of scoring the touchdown.

Usually, when a back runs 68 yards and there is no timeout or TV break or something, they put another back into the game so the one with the long run can catch his breath. Not the Steelers, not on this day.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

Not taking out Mendy and putting in Redman is on Tomlin:banging:

TRH
10-16-2011, 09:23 PM
both our past 2 coaches are very conservative and chose to turtle shell it. both tomlin and cowher lack that cut throat, killer instinct and the desire to pound an opponents body in the turf.

tomlin should adopt a "no mercey" philosophy instead of trying to get out with a gemtlemanly win.

even poor teams stumble across a 40 point game once in a while. i cant even remember the last time steelers hung up 6 td's (besides kicking around the brownies on opening day a while back).

i completely agree. Its almost like when we're ahead, Tomlin just "takes it easy". I just dont' see that 'Pats' type of killer, animalistic win big mentality. I'd love to see that...i think it would change us for the better.

StainlessStill
10-16-2011, 09:41 PM

I've seen this my whole life. Fact of the matter is, the Steelers are built for it. Close games are our memo. We never, ever take style points. We beat you in the ground, even if it's ugly in doing so. With that said, I agree. Keeping Jax in the game the way they did was ridiculous.

I was there today, and watching the offense be a step too slow all 2nd half was a let-down for me. I'm not happy with how the offense came out sluggish with that big of a lead, failing to score from the 1 yard line and missing deep ball after deep ball. Defense missed many tackles too. Should have been a blowout. Redman should be our closer.

WickedSteel
10-16-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm not quite following you guys here.

I believe it was the "going in for the kill", "dagger in the heart" mentality that nearly cost them the game out there. After the Steelers pounded the Jags on the ground and Wallace burned them for a score, Arians decided to bring in the bomb squad to "FINISH THEM!" is if they were playing Mortal Kombat. This resulted in quick 3 and outs that put more and more pressure on an aging D who was then getting worn down as the game wore on. What they needed to do was start picking the Jags apart with long drives resulting in at least FGs and wearing THEIR defense down. Instead they let the Jags keep hanging around and hanging around and gave them the chance to win it at the end.

FanSince72
10-16-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm not quite following you guys here.

I believe it was the "going in for the kill", "dagger in the heart" mentality that nearly cost them the game out there. After the Steelers pounded the Jags on the ground and Wallace burned them for a score, Arians decided to bring in the bomb squad to "FINISH THEM!" is if they were playing Mortal Kombat. This resulted in quick 3 and outs that put more and more pressure on an aging D who was then getting worn down as the game wore on. What they needed to do was start picking the Jags apart with long drives resulting in at least FGs and wearing THEIR defense down. Instead they let the Jags keep hanging around and hanging around and gave them the chance to win it at the end.

Agreed.

"Going for the Kill" (in my mind) isn't necessarily throwing bombs. If it's possible to do that - fine.
But I think that if we would just keep doing what we were doing, we would keep adding points all game long.

I hate to keep bringing up Belichick, but dammit he does just that and it usually works.
He basically just keeps playing until they tell him to stop.
He doesn't "protect" or get into Martyball, he just keeps doing whatever works until the game is over.

Why is that so hard for us to do?

Why does there have to be some "special strategy" employed whenever we get up by two scores or so?
I mean, if we can get up by two scores, then why not three? And if we're up by three scores, then why not four?

Does Tomlin think the other coach is going to get mad at him if he does that?
I mean, plenty of people get mad at Belichick for doing that but Belichick has a team that everyone else is afraid of.

So which is better? Not stepping on the other coach's feelings?
Or having a team that everyone else is afraid to have on their schedule?

This IS about winning, isn't it?

ricardisimo
10-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Ultimately everything is on Tomlin, because he's the HC. But let's face it, there's another culprit here and we all know who it is. We've been seeing this forever, and for good reason: if one team has success in the air against us, (or rushing, or using a certain blocking scheme, etc.) then the next team will do it, and the team after them, and the team after them, so on and so forth, until we can put a stop to it. That's how you gameplan.

So far as I can tell, there is only one offense in the entire league that categorically refuses to look at statistics, trends, strengths and weaknesses, both our own and the opposition's. That offense is ours. I am so unbelievably sick and tired of watching this week in and week out. Our defense regularly gives us six-, seven, eight-game stretches - hell, whole seasons sometimes - of truly dominant performances, yet this offense cannot put two games together, and more often than not they can't put two halves together, like today.

I hate to be such a whiny little bitch after a win, but c'mon... that was pathetic. Bruce Arians is a retard. I have things stuck to the bottom of my shoe that are more intelligent than he is.

tony hipchest
10-16-2011, 10:32 PM
the only team to score fewer than 20 points today and actually pull out a win was the steelers.

other than maybe the 95 or possibly 2001 team (3rd in the league in offense), bruce has been blessed with the most dynamic and explosive talent since the HOFers of the 70's.

too bad he pisses it away, week after week.

WickedSteel
10-16-2011, 10:48 PM
the only team to score fewer than 20 points today and actually pull out a win was the steelers.

other than maybe the 95 or possibly 2001 team (3rd in the league in offense), bruce has been blessed with the most dynamic and explosive talent since the HOFers of the 70's.

:chuckle::banging:

Sixburgher
10-17-2011, 12:49 AM

If Roethlisberger makes the throws today a supposedly elite QB is supposed to make, they score in the 40 point range easy. I fail to see how his inability to hit wide open receivers on what would have been walk in touchdowns is on the offensive coordinator.

#1LambertFan
10-17-2011, 02:08 AM
IVE SAID IT BEFORE AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN WE ALWAYS PLAY DOWN TO OUR COMPETITION

As is the nature of a run first team. And for all you nay-sayers, believe it or not we are still a run first team. We consistently win due almost entirely to this philosophy. Would you rather us play a 5 wide shotgun offense 75 percent of the time to blow out oppenents more often at the cost of being blown out frequently ourselves?

steelfury02
10-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I believe what we are talking about is not employing a 5 wide or shotgun heavy formation the majority of the time but rather going with what the defense gives you in passing situations - which more often than not is the short to intermediate routes where you have 3 to 4 seconds to gain 5 to 7 yards or 8 to 12 yards thus dinking and dunking.

All too long we have ridden on Ben's improv skills and 5 to 7 step drops. They (Ben and Arians) are stubborn and have admitted to at least going for the home run 5 times a game. As Ben gets older the improv is working less and less.

We've seen the success of our bunch formation and hooks, slants, look-ins, delays, side lines, down and ins, etc, etc but we think that a 17 point lead is enough and keep trying for circles, posts and fly routes. Why on earth would you all of a sudden STOP what has worked?

All you need is 2 to 3 good route runners and 1 to 2 tight ends with great hands. You don't need 5 wide to do this. AND - you don't even need to be a 60 to 70 percent pass team to do this - if you just do it a few series combined with running a few series well then teams won't know what to expect. THIS is when it is successful - then if you have to you can go no huddle / shotgun at the end, but certainly not the entire time.

All details aside - I think it is the misuse of superb offensive weapons and overthinking in game planning that is making everyone mad. I see your point though as well, if we are running the ball - why abandon it? But - it is a lot easier for teams to take that away than a team that can eat you alive on timing routes.

Third Rail
10-17-2011, 01:12 PM
If Roethlisberger makes the throws today a supposedly elite QB is supposed to make, they score in the 40 point range easy. I fail to see how his inability to hit wide open receivers on what would have been walk in touchdowns is on the offensive coordinator.

People are hammering Ben pretty hard and perhaps rightfully so, but I also think the receivers need to shoulder at least some of the blame for all of those incompletions. They had to settle for a field goal in 2nd quarter because Hines dropped a surefire TD pass, and then a wide open Brown missed the ball because God forbid he move a little bit and make a play. And then you had Sanders in the 3rd quarter not being able to catch up to a ball that would have been another TD (overthrown, but it looked like he slowed down before the ball got there).

Fine, I'll give you that Ben threw some far from perfect balls, but at least a few of them were catchable had the WRs tried a little harder. When I see Dwayne Bowe juggle a ball in the air while doing an aerial somersault and still manage to make a catch, I don't think it should be too much to ask Brown to take another step to the right or Sanders to catch up to the ball.

Fire Arians
10-17-2011, 01:28 PM
TRAP GAME. and we almost fell in the trap, got a little comfortable after starting off the game dominating. hopefully they learned their lesson

thing that pisses me off is jones-drew always has a huge game against us, why cant we ever stop that guy? I'm used to seeing teams pass on us but seeing teams run on us annoys me to no end

Third Rail
10-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Well, it's probably because he's been their only offensive weapon. EVER. Gabbart and his receivers couldn't get much done at all, and it's not like they were much better when Garrard was at the helm.

Fire Arians
10-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Well, it's probably because he's been their only offensive weapon. EVER. Gabbart and his receivers couldn't get much done at all, and it's not like they were much better when Garrard was at the helm.

true but if he's the main guy we have to focus on stopping, and our D is keying on that guy as the main threat, he shouldn't be averaging over 4 yards per carry. that's just my thoughts though. I know he's good but this is the steeler D we're talking about, nobody runs on us. well except this year :chuckle:

Third Rail
10-17-2011, 01:37 PM
True. I wouldn't worry too much about him though. He's starting to get old for a runningback, meaning the next time we play the Jags, he likely won't be there anymore.

Unless the Jags make the playoffs this year (LMAO).

fer522
10-17-2011, 01:55 PM
If I am going to watch the rest of the season, I will need large quantities of chewable antacid tablets.

After Mendy's long run I was starting to feel bad for the jags cause the Steelers could do nothing wrong. But then, they slowly fell apart and were lucky the game wasn't 2 more minutes.

After the field goal it was Ben's worst 3 quarters since the ravens. And more o-line injuries? Thank god Polamalu was a beast out there... oh wait... now he is injured to?

I am gonna need lots of alcohol too. sigh.

Go Steelers!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

SmashmouthFootball
10-17-2011, 04:19 PM
The Steelers have been doing this stuff for the last 10 years. We discuss this "phenomenon" every single season.

Best case scenario, playing in close games builds character and going through adversity now helps you know how to battle through it later.

Worst case scenario, not playing perfectly every week keeps the talking heads off of our bandwagon(which is GOOD. You never want to be the media darling.) and gives the coaches something real to harp on to keep the players focused throughout the season.

Conclusion: It's not a big deal, we've been to 3 super bowls and won 2 in the last 7 years despite always exhibiting poor showings in wins against weaker teams during the season.

Were the Packers blowing everyone out of the water last year or did they have to scrape their way into the playoffs? What happened to those other-worldly Pats last year? What about 2007? How many wins in a row? How many TD's did Brady throw? Did they win the super bowl? Earlier in the decade when they did win super bowls, we're they this prolific unstoppable team? Were they even FAVORED in every super bowl they won? Nope...

The only things that come from beating bad teams by tons of points are improving your power ranking position and getting bigger point spreads to cover from the sportsbooks.