PDA

View Full Version : Please- cool it on the long balls!!!

NEWstevo
10-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely L-O-V-E the 40+ yard touchdown bomb to Wallace (or any Steeler). Some games it's the only thing that gets me outta my chair. But after that first (and only) long pass down field, Ben and BA starting swinging for the fence on almost every pass play.

A dozen incompletions later- the Steelers passing game was dead and the running game was nearly stuffed into the Heinz Field grass.

Is Ben shooting for the long ball too much?

tony hipchest
10-16-2011, 05:02 PM
arians dials up atleast 5 of them in every game and according to ben they are gonna run each one come hell or high water.

i really dont mind them as long as ben learns that if he's not throwing a bomb to wallace he actually needs to aim the ball to the wr. sanders and brown are quick but nobody in the league really has wallaces' speed.

ben missed atleast 3 easy balls today that an elite QB completes 9 out of 10 times.

shaner82
10-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Deep balls are a low percentage play at the best of times. There's simply no reason to have a minimum number of long balls that you try to get into the game. That simply makes absolutely no sense. You take what the defence gives you. Early in the game when we were running the ball well, then okay, take a shot or two down field because the defence has it in their mind that they aren't stopping the run and they're going to start cheating. In the second half when we had no running or short passing game, then it is incredibly dumb to take a shot down field.

GMU Steeler
10-16-2011, 05:06 PM
They're going to keep on doing them since we have the personnel for them. There has to be a time where Ben, Arians, and the offense realize they're not working and cut down on them though. Ben's just missing them. If he gets them, we're happy. It's not the idea but the execution that's the problem here. Though I do think they should have started grinding the ball out when they had a seventeen point lead.

tanda10506
10-16-2011, 05:11 PM
I agree that we should throw them less when we play the Ravens or Pats, but this game they would have all been big plays if Ben didn't miss them. Against this team airing it out would have worked if Ben would have just made a few of those passes, the run game was ok and defense was great, against good teams it's up to Ben making those passes to win, he can't be that inaccurate.

btaylor179
10-16-2011, 05:17 PM
once again we played down to our competition

Atlanta Dan
10-16-2011, 05:27 PM
ben missed atleast 3 easy balls today that an elite QB completes 9 out of 10 times.

Agreed- Ben was awful after the midway through the 2nd quarter

Atlanta Dan
10-16-2011, 05:31 PM
arians dials up atleast 5 of them in every game and according to ben they are gonna run each one come hell or high water.

Dan Reeves was on Atlanta sports talk radio this morning and, with regard to Julio Jones of the Falcons, said you cannot have a predetermined number of plays where you want to force the deep ball

Arians disagrees - i agree with Dan Reeves

steelfury02
10-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Arians: "We're going to come out and take what the defense gives us. We're going to run when it is appropriate, and pass short quick routes where appropriate. If we are up big, we'll try to go for the dagger but I really just want to keep using what works until it is stopped. PSYCH! Today is opposite day!"

Every day is Arians' opposite day.

harrison'samonster
10-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Arians: "We're going to come out and take what the defense gives us. We're going to run when it is appropriate, and pass short quick routes where appropriate. If we are up big, we'll try to go for the dagger but I really just want to keep using what works until it is stopped. PSYCH! Today is opposite day!"

Every day is Arians' opposite day.

that's what makes me so grateful to have such a genius working for the Steelers.

mizzouristeeler
10-16-2011, 06:18 PM
that's what makes me so grateful to have such a genius working for the Steelers.

Is it opposite day for you???:chuckle:

steelfury02
10-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Just take a look at this. Arians celebrating with Tomlin after XLIII win. What do you think they said?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OblK51AVFkM

Bruce: "You know Mike, I thought for a second there before Ben threw it to Tone again, I thought that I saw my last days here with you guys."

Mike: "Bruce, what are you worrying for, man? Ben told me you two golf together its all good. If Ben is back there, you're here - REGARDLESS."

harrison'samonster
10-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Is it opposite day for you???:chuckle:

it is opposite day! I was thinking maybe if we all supported Arians' stupidity, then he would throw another curve our way and make a decent offensive philosophy and stick to it. He's one of those wacky geniuses.

GMU Steeler
10-16-2011, 07:03 PM
If those long balls had worked, we wouldn't be upset. The problem really isn't the idea though I agree that Arians does go pass friendly way too often, the problem was the execution. If Ben delivers to Wallace or Brown on two or three of those balls, we're talking about another win like we had with the Texans. I don't disagree with you guys that going to the deep ball repeatedly was a bad idea but I think we need to execute better which is something on the players as much as it is on Arians.

kirklandrules
10-16-2011, 07:10 PM
That game plan from the middle of the 2nd quarter till the end of the game was truly meant to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Very much in tune with their schizophrenic offensive scheme.:banging::banging::banging::banging:

harrison'samonster
10-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I do agree that the players need to execute better. I truly do believe that ultimately the players are responsible for winning or losing, but the coaches (especially the head coach) are held responsible.

But Arians is still a moron.

WickedSteel
10-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Ben may have missed those balls but they shouldn't have been thrown in the 1st place. They were pounding the Jags on the ground and went up 17-3 and then decided to go for homeruns every other dropback. Not a good idea on a windy day at Heinz field. This dumbass approach resulted in numerous 3 and outs and let the Jags climb back into the game and nearly pull off the upset. I am tired with the "we are going to bomb it at least 5 times every game no matter what" approach. Last week was a thing of beauty and they said to hell with that this week. They were acting like it was the Pro Bowl out there.

Atlanta Dan
10-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Ben may have missed those balls but they shouldn't have been thrown in the 1st place. They were pounding the Jags on the ground and went up 17-3 and then decided to go for homeruns every other dropback. Not a good idea on a windy day at Heinz field. This dumbass approach resulted in numerous 3 and outs and let the Jags climb back into the game and nearly pull off the upset. I am tired with the "we are going to bomb it at least 5 times every game no matter what" approach. Last week was a thing of beauty and they said to hell with that this week. They were acting like it was the Pro Bowl out there.

We agree:jawdrop:

I better quit drinking for the day - or drink more

LVSteelersfan
10-17-2011, 02:08 AM
One week of good Arians to 3 weeks of bad Arians is about par for the course. Sorry, but Ben really is not an elite QB if he can't hit those easy short TD passes he missed today. You can bet dollars to donuts that Brady, either Manning, Brees, Romo, Schaub, and any number of other QBs in the league hit that pass when they have that much time more often than not. There is absolutely no excuse for a QB with Ben's experience to miss that pass. We should have had 28 points on the board in the first half alone.

OX1947
10-17-2011, 03:08 AM
Actually, every one of those long balls were perfect if Big Ben got them the ball. There were 4 TDs approx, in those missed throws.

Aussie Steeler
10-17-2011, 04:05 AM
What? I thought Ben's long balls were pretty good just a bit off but were catchable. I thought the WR's had a bad day dropping passes and letting them slip right through their hands.

plenewken
10-17-2011, 05:48 AM

That's why I never considered Ben an elite QB. Very good? yes. Elite? Nope. His passing accuracy is mediocre.

BritishSteel
10-17-2011, 06:12 AM
We've a QB with a strong arm and a group of quick receivers so the bomb is a legitimate weapon, but like everything else, it works better in a varied offence. There's no sense in throwing 10-15 long ones a game, especially when you can't complete 5 yarders. They're always gonna work best when the other side of the ball has to factor in the run, the screen, the bubble pass and the short-medium stuff. That's where we blew it yesterday - we got one-dimensional. It was the anti-Titans game approach, where we mixed it up with a decent run game, a good mix of short, quick passing plays so we hit Wallace on multiple deep plays. That felt like a sweet memory halfway through the 4th yesterday.

shaner82
10-17-2011, 08:41 AM
That's why I never considered Ben an elite QB. Very good? yes. Elite? Nope. His passing accuracy is mediocre.

Agreed, and for the amount of money he gets paid, he needs to play like an elite QB every week. Ben looks great some weeks, terrible some weeks, and just average most weeks. He's way too inconsistent, and I sometimes wonder what else we could get for the money that he is paid. I've never been a big fan of Ben. I think the team around him accounts for most of the wins we have had over the years. He has won a few games single handedly, but he's also caused us to lose some.

ricardisimo
10-17-2011, 09:15 AM
What? I thought Ben's long balls were pretty good just a bit off but were catchable. I thought the WR's had a bad day dropping passes and letting them slip right through their hands.
What I saw looked more like our wide receivers playing defender on a couple of those, breaking up possible INTs. They had a good day in that regard. It shouldn't have come to that. It would be one thing if we were having difficulty on the ground, but we were running at will.

Steelerfreak58
10-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Arians is a joke.

SmashmouthFootball
10-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Here's where it gets tricky.

We haev the QB, the recievers, and the offensive coordinator to draw up the proper long-ball plays. If anything, Arians has great long-ball schemes and does a great job getting recievers open. The main issue is his use of them during the game.

The best way to take advantage of the long-ball is to use it at the proper junctures, Arians struggles to do that. Often on 2nd and short, he'll dial up something just to eek out a first down no matter where we are on the field. Those are usually the prime opportunities to strike, 2nd or 3rd and short. Arians gets us into trouble with bad first down and 2nd down playcalling. I'd bet that long-balls have a much lower success rate on first and 10 or 2nd and 8 versus 2nd and 3 and 3rd and 3. He needs to do a better job of picking his spots, because that's what you have to do with the longball, pick your spots.

kirklandrules
10-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Agreed, and for the amount of money he gets paid, he needs to play like an elite QB every week.

I thought Ben was paid well as compensation for pain and suffering inflicted by a poor o-line :chuckle:

Fire Arians
10-17-2011, 12:31 PM
i wish we would stick with the short-intermediate passing game like we pulled against the titans. with that philosophy you'll get even more chances for the long ball when you force the opposing secondary to try and stop the shorter routes

Third Rail
10-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Here's where it gets tricky.

We haev the QB, the recievers, and the offensive coordinator to draw up the proper long-ball plays. If anything, Arians has great long-ball schemes and does a great job getting recievers open. The main issue is his use of them during the game.

The best way to take advantage of the long-ball is to use it at the proper junctures, Arians struggles to do that. Often on 2nd and short, he'll dial up something just to eek out a first down no matter where we are on the field. Those are usually the prime opportunities to strike, 2nd or 3rd and short. Arians gets us into trouble with bad first down and 2nd down playcalling. I'd bet that long-balls have a much lower success rate on first and 10 or 2nd and 8 versus 2nd and 3 and 3rd and 3. He needs to do a better job of picking his spots, because that's what you have to do with the longball, pick your spots.

This is a good assessment. It's a gamble either way because on short yardage, you have a better chance of making the first down with a quick slant pass or a run, but it can pay dividends if you go deep and the team isn't expecting it. Of course, that requires the receiver running the correct route and the QB putting the ball where it needs to be. But I do agree they should attempt the long bombs more often when they only need short yardage because the other team might have no idea that it's coming.

MzunguT
10-17-2011, 01:21 PM
I thought Ben was paid well as compensation for pain and suffering inflicted by a poor o-line :chuckle:

I would even assume that with most of the guys we could have as a QB for the money Ben gets, we would be playing our second QB by now because they would be in a coma after the Texans game.. :helmet:

plenewken
10-17-2011, 01:38 PM

Considering the amount of time the OL line gave Ben yesterday and what he did with it, Ben should give a special bonus to each member of the OL and buy them dinner. ::chuckle:

Goldsteel86
10-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Live by the pass, die by the pass. Look at where Arians came from Cleveland, Ben is more effective on quick hitches to set up the deep balls. I truly believe, this offense desperately needs to utilize the run to set up the pass, the short possesion throws lead to the occasional long ball, correct me if I am wrong but Heath could have been an absolute stud yesterday if Arians would have dialed him up more. Arians is so quick to abondon the run and the possession passes, really time folks for a long hard look at the "O" Coordinator, I wonder if we had Mularkey right now, how good would this offense look????

ricardisimo
10-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Live by the pass, die by the pass. Look at where Arians came from Cleveland, Ben is more effective on quick hitches to set up the deep balls. I truly believe, this offense desperately needs to utilize the run to set up the pass, the short possesion throws lead to the occasional long ball, correct me if I am wrong but Heath could have been an absolute stud yesterday if Arians would have dialed him up more. Arians is so quick to abondon the run and the possession passes, really time folks for a long hard look at the "O" Coordinator, I wonder if we had Mularkey right now, how good would this offense look????
I don't know. Mularkey's offense is not exactly setting the world on fire right now.

Sixburgher
10-17-2011, 09:35 PM
You can bet dollars to donuts that Brady, either Manning, Brees, Romo, Schaub, and any number of other QBs in the league hit that pass when they have that much time more often than not.

Romo? Really? May want to rethink that. He's coughed up at least two games for the Cowboys almost singlehandedly already this year.

tony hipchest
10-18-2011, 12:10 AM
You can bet dollars to donuts that xxxxx*, either Manning, Brees, Romo, Schaub, and any number of other QBs in the league hit that pass when they have that much time more often than not. .

especially when they are all at home in the climate controlled comfort of their cozy dome.

bring them their woobie and a cup of hot cocoa. :binky:

i have seen ben play atleast twice (maybe 3X) in the remnants of a hurricaine and can attest that his long ball accuracy suffers in 30-40 MPH winds. :noidea:

DAMN HIM!