PDA

View Full Version : Are the Steelers ready for the challenges ahead?

steelfury02
10-16-2011, 06:24 PM
"The big challenges lie ahead," Tomlin said. "We need to prepare for them."

I'm glad that Tomlin has publicly called out the looming road blocks. Yes - this team needs to take it one game at a time but they also need to realize that out of 6 games - they've only had one "impressive" performance. You could argue that in the game against Seattle the offense had a lot of missed opportunities as we have been discussing on here today as result of the Jags victory. I'm hoping they realize the urgency of the situation they are in. Yes - they are a respectable 4-2 but are far from being able to put together a great game against a great team. I never bought into the Titans 3-1 record before we played them because the Ravens were ripe for the major letdown after dismantling us.

What are everyone's thoughts about the stretch of 4 games leading into the bye? What Ws/Ls does everyone see based on our performance thus far? What do you think we can build on (positives) and what do you think will be still glaring going into break?

To me - they are all ultra tough games. @ Arizona, NE, Balt, @ Cincy. Phew - we got our hands full. I see us going 3-1 with a loss to Cincy. I see D continuing to increase sacks and finally get a bunch of turnovers with the O putting up 1 more impressive performance in that stretch.

GMU Steeler
10-16-2011, 06:26 PM
I am not underestimating Cincy but has Dalton had to deal with any defense that has our reputation? Yes, I think we're ready. Need some stuff to work on but I think we could do well over that stretch of games. I worry about NE's offense because we've always struggled against them and the Ravens look tougher than in the past but I think we'll be okay. We won a lot of ugly games in 2008 too.

steelfury02
10-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Re @ the Red Rifle - I can agree with that. However, just to play devil's advocate - based off today's performance we tend to make the young QBs look better than they are and I believe Red Rifle is better than today's young gun.

steelers33
10-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Don't worry we'll find out if were for real or not when we play NE and Balt back to back.

GMU Steeler
10-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Re @ the Red Rifle - I can agree with that. However, just to play devil's advocate - based off today's performance we tend to make the young QBs look better than they are and I believe Red Rifle is better than today's young gun.

You think Gabbert did a good job today? 12-26 109 yards, 1 TD, sacked five times? I hardly call that making young QBs look better than they are not that it hasn't been a problem before but today that wasn't the case. I do agree with you Dalton's the better young QB though. The reason why the Jags were able to stay in the game was Jones-Drew and the idiotic penalty on Mundy but there's a flipside to that too. Dalton's a better QB than Blaine Gabbert is but MJD is better than Cedric Benson at RB. Plus our execution on offense in the second half stunk which I agree needs to improve.

steelfury02
10-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Gabbert didn't turn the ball over and did what he could. I didn't think it was a great performance - just that as a whole, we gave him more opportunities than what he would have had against a better team. Yup - agree - offense put our team in a bad spot and yup - thanks to our defense we won.

If the great neutralizer to the argument is the difference in the RBs than being @ Cincy rather than at home only adds to the difficulty. Plus - I'd argue that Cincy has better WRs and a much better defense.

btaylor179
10-16-2011, 06:42 PM
WE ONCE AGAIN PLAYED DOWN TO OUR COMPETITION AS WE ALWAYS DO

steelfury02
10-16-2011, 06:44 PM
did you know your caps lock was on?

GMU Steeler
10-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Gabbert didn't turn the ball over and did what he could. I didn't think it was a great performance - just that as a whole, we gave him more opportunities than what he would have had against a better team. Yup - agree - offense put our team in a bad spot and yup - thanks to our defense we won.

If the great neutralizer to the argument is the difference in the RBs than being @ Cincy rather than at home only adds to the difficulty. Plus - I'd argue that Cincy has better WRs and a much better defense.

From what I was hearing we nearly picked him off a couple times. He wasn't horrible but I wouldn't say he did good or even ok either. Below average but not epic failure eitehr. You're right though that Cincy has a better D and WR corps. I dunno, I just think of those four Cincy is the one I worry least about. I don't count them out. Hell I don't count out any team but I am more worried about Arizona and to a bigger extent the Pats and Ravens than I am the Bengals who have surprised me thus far though.

steelfury02
10-16-2011, 06:51 PM
True - almost intercepted. Well - then at the least we "Let him off the hook! He was who we thought he was!" Lol - yes this Arizona game has me uneasy. For every step forward we take 1 week, we take another half step back the following - regardless of W or L.

I know we had a lot of ugly wins in 08' season but their weren't as many questions being raised about the team like their are now. I know, I know - all in due time - but what the heck else am I gonna do on a Sunday night? Talk to my wife!?!?!? Lol.

Steel_Bus_24
10-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Remember that Scene in "A Christmas Story" when the dad gets the major award and first looks into the crate???

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/6768953/1024/12/leg-lamp.jpg

"There Could be anything in there"

GMU Steeler
10-16-2011, 06:59 PM
True - almost intercepted. Well - then at the least we "Let him off the hook! He was who we thought he was!" Lol - yes this Arizona game has me uneasy. For every step forward we take 1 week, we take another half step back the following - regardless of W or L.

I know we had a lot of ugly wins in 08' season but their weren't as many questions being raised about the team like their are now. I know, I know - all in due time - but what the heck else am I gonna do on a Sunday night? Talk to my wife!?!?!? Lol.

Oh I realize almost is different but it's not like Gabbert was embarrassing our D. I just disagreed with you that our D made another young QB look good. He didn't have a good or even okay game in my book. Their TD drive was aided by a penalty on a punt and the two FG's Scobee made were long ones The reason why the Jags stayed in the game is because our offense couldn't put them away. We had issues in 2008. We were down to Melwede Moore at starting running back because Willie Parker was far from 100% and Mendenhall went down early against the Ravens. And the offense passing wise had its struggles too. In fact I believe statistically that was after 2006, Ben's worst year but we got it done when we had to. Plus if you remember 2007, Aaron Smith got injured and there was a little doubt going in to that year that the run D would be what it had been in the past. We have to get better as a team no doubt but the difference I am seeing between this year and a let down year like 2009 is that we are holding on. It's been uglier than it should be no doubt but this team can make the playoffs I think and go far if we do enough things right.

harrison'samonster
10-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Remember that Scene in "A Christmas Story" when the dad gets the major award and first looks into the crate???

"There Could be anything in there"

I agree completely. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we beat all four, lost to all four, or anything in between. In other words, "there could be anyhing in there."

I think they are ready for any team, they just need to cut out stupid turnovers. And I think to beat the Patriots they might have to force a few.

Atlanta Dan
10-16-2011, 07:31 PM
"The big challenges lie ahead," Tomlin said. "We need to prepare for them."

Good luck with that

This offense will always be pedestrian with Arians as OC - a very good but not no longer great D will not bail him out

steelbad@50
10-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Don't worry we'll find out if were for real or not when we play NE and Balt back to back.
DITTO:tt02:

thebus36idf
10-16-2011, 07:57 PM
To me - they are all ultra tough games. @ Arizona, NE, Balt, @ Cincy. Phew - we got our hands full. I see us going 3-1 with a loss to Cincy. I see D continuing to increase sacks and finally get a bunch of turnovers with the O putting up 1 more impressive performance in that stretch.[/QUOTE]

I admire your positive outlook. I know this is a copout, but I would like to reserve my answer until after next weeks game but I can' resist, if we lose next week we are done, and if we win I still think we are capable of losing both the following games. We haven't been able to beat N.E. since 2004 and they haven't just beat us they owned us. So if your giving the Bangels a win we go 1-2 I think we have a better chance of beating Cinn. because of the rookie QB, against Dick's D. A great article about the matchup between N.E. vs. PITT in the bleacher report by Mad Chad a steelers fan, and It was written before the year. I know this article would be much different written now.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/832102-pittsburgh-steelers-need-to-beat-tom-brady-and-the-new-england-patriots

fer522
10-16-2011, 08:01 PM
WE ONCE AGAIN PLAYED DOWN TO OUR COMPETITION AS WE ALWAYS DO

and that's on the coaches:noidea:

thebus36idf
10-16-2011, 08:13 PM
I do give us a good shot at both, because it almost never matters who is playing well, and who is not during these divisional games, they are always close. (I ERASED THE LOSS TO BALTIMORE EARLIER IN THE YEAR FROM MY BRAIN!) Darn It just slipped back from my subconsceince I guess I need a bigger eraser.

RatbirdExtreme
10-16-2011, 08:40 PM
To me - they are all ultra tough games. @ Arizona, NE, Balt, @ Cincy. Phew - we got our hands full. I see us going 3-1 with a loss to Cincy. I see D continuing to increase sacks and finally get a bunch of turnovers with the O putting up 1 more impressive performance in that stretch.

Hmmm. @Arizona as an ultra tough game? Cant agree with you on that one. But the 3 leading into the bye will be tough ones for ya'all, no doubt. Ill throw away that game, I think its a gimme. Arizona has a really bad OLine.

The last 3? Be happy with 2-1, Dont be too surprised at 1-2, No shame in that. I Dont see 3-0, and I dont see 0-3, but I can't decide which way to go.

BTW, Congrats to Steelers fans. I didnt think it was possible, but you guys actually DO hate your OC more than we do in Ballmer. :banging:

stb_steeler
10-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Hmmm. @Arizona as an ultra tough game? Cant agree with you on that one. But the 3 leading into the bye will be tough ones for ya'all, no doubt. Ill throw away that game, I think its a gimme. Arizona has a really bad OLine.

The last 3? Be happy with 2-1, Dont be too surprised at 1-2, No shame in that. I Dont see 3-0, and I dont see 0-3, but I can't decide which way to go.

BTW, Congrats to Steelers fans. I didnt think it was possible, but you guys actually DO hate your OC more than we do in Ballmer. :banging:

Yeah he's the type of OC we'd like to see on the opposite side of the field.....

jwmann2
10-16-2011, 10:59 PM
I am not underestimating Cincy but has Dalton had to deal with any defense that has our reputation? Yes, I think we're ready. Need some stuff to work on but I think we could do well over that stretch of games. I worry about NE's offense because we've always struggled against them and the Ravens look tougher than in the past but I think we'll be okay. We won a lot of ugly games in 2008 too.

Dalton tore the Bills apart. The Bills D has been carrying them this season. And even though the Bengals are 4-2, those 2 losses to San Fran and Denver very down to the wire.

SunshineMan21
10-17-2011, 03:12 AM
The Bills D has been carrying them this season.

Um, what?

steelfury02
10-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Yea - I can't agree with Extreme Ratbird - Nothing about our team has given me confidence that we can go in and dominate Ariz. Do I think we can win? Yes - but so far nothing says to me that it will be convincingly.

StylCurtainXL
10-17-2011, 09:27 AM
We are due for a bunch of TO's for our D. Maybe it's time to cash them in.

steelfury02
10-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Just thought I'd post this to reiterate "challenges ahead:"

Sunday, Oct. 23 at Arizona 4:05 p.m. CBS
Sunday, Oct. 30 NEW ENGLAND 4:15 p.m. CBS
Sunday, Nov. 6 BALTIMORE 8:20 p.m. NBC
Sunday, Nov. 13 at Cincinnati 1 p.m. CBS
Sunday, Nov. 20 Bye ------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, Nov. 27* at Kansas City 8:20 p.m. NBC
Sunday, Dec. 4* CINCINNATI 1 p.m. CBS
Thursday, Dec. 8 CLEVELAND 8:20 p.m. NFL Network/KDKA
Monday, Dec. 19 at San Fran 8:30 p.m. ESPN
Saturday, Dec. 24* ST. LOUIS 1 p.m. FOX
Sunday, Jan. 1* at Cleveland 1 p.m. CBS

You know we hate the 4ish o'clock games lol. I can't believe the @ San Fran is a Monday Nighter. Guess what - playing 4 games in less than 3 weeks (20 days) might not necessarily help us either. Nothing like getting a weird Saturday game on Xmas eve. What is up with that?

That said - would be an awesome way to celebrate Xmas or New Years (although I'm not sure I'd be functional for a post new years even 1 p.m. game)

Rotorhead
10-17-2011, 12:31 PM
I actually think we can beat NE this year. Our Def is defending the pass better than in the past. We have been generating more rush lately, and our O does have the capability to be explosive (if BA pulls his head out that is). I think we are better built to stop passing O's this season rather than stopping the run. Balty I am no so sure about, we are going to have to play a perfect game to win i think. So I hope for 4-0 but would be happy with 3-1 losing to Balty I guess. Even if we lose 2 of 4, we can still achieve 12-4 and head into the playoffs hopefully healthy having a cohesive line ready for a run. The Pack wasnt dominating anyone last season remember, but they got hot when they needed to.

Fire Arians
10-17-2011, 12:35 PM
I actually think we can beat NE this year. Our Def is defending the pass better than in the past. We have been generating more rush lately, and our O does have the capability to be explosive (if BA pulls his head out that is). I think we are better built to stop passing O's this season rather than stopping the run. Balty I am no so sure about, we are going to have to play a perfect game to win i think. So I hope for 4-0 but would be happy with 3-1 losing to Balty I guess. Even if we lose 2 of 4, we can still achieve 12-4 and head into the playoffs hopefully healthy having a cohesive line ready for a run. The Pack wasnt dominating anyone last season remember, but they got hot when they needed to.

Our secondary performing better has me a little more confident about the NE game, but I still think NE would be favorites to win at this point. Our D isn't forcing turnovers and ben hasn't been necessarily careful with the football. 1 turnover could be all it takes to hand the game to new england and their offense.

i'm liking that our secondary is playing tighter coverage at the line of scrimmage, it will make it harder for brady to constantly do that 3 step drop and dunk that has always killed us in the past

Atlanta Dan
10-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Nothing like getting a weird Saturday game on Xmas eve. What is up with that?

NFL figures ratings and attendance will be down with Christmas Day games, so the only Christmas game is Chicago at Green Bay that night

Atlanta Dan
10-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Our secondary performing better has me a little more confident about the NE game, but I still think NE would be favorites to win at this point. Our D isn't forcing turnovers and ben hasn't been necessarily careful with the football. 1 turnover could be all it takes to hand the game to new england and their offense.

i'm liking that our secondary is playing tighter coverage at the line of scrimmage, it will make it harder for brady to constantly do that 3 step drop and dunk that has always killed us in the past

So instead this year we will be treated to Brady slicing up Footre and Farrior with passes to his 2 tight ends?:noidea:

I know the Pats should have lost to Dallas but I have no hope for this year's version of the annual pillaging by Brady

Fire Arians
10-17-2011, 12:45 PM
So instead this year we will be treated to Brady slicing up Footre and Farrior with passes to his 2 tight ends?:noidea:

I know the Pats should have lost to Dallas but I have no hope for this year's version of the annual pillaging by Brady

i'd say use more dime packages and bring polamalu up to cover a TE. i dont think going to dime would make us much weaker against the run because polamalu up in run support is money. troy's health is the big question mark at this point but i think he'll be ready to go vs NE.

tanda10506
10-17-2011, 01:38 PM
We played great against Tennessee, great in the first half yesterday, and were a few long bombs that Ben missed away from a 31-3 finish. Ben's got to make those throws, if we call the right plays and Ben doesn't miss open throws our offensecan be great, we can score 30+ consistantly, especially against the pats defense. Their defense is bad, our offense is better then last year at the time we played them, and our passing defense is much better. Woodley and Keisel are getting to the qb and the dime packages are working. If we have Timmons or Polamalu one one TE and Lewis on the other we will be ok. We are not going to shut them down but we can limit them. This year we definetly can beat them with the right play calling. The Cardinals game doesn't worry me too much. The Bengals look good actually, but they won't beat us unless we play down to them. The one I am worried about is Baltimore. I watched them against Houston yesterday and they always had a receiver/TE open, every play, their defense is real good, and so is their run game. I think our defense will be pumped and play great that game, but I don't see us just shutting them down. Our o line has been playing pretty decent, but they won't look as good, and Ben can't keep missing like yesterday cause the ratbirds close on the ball quick. We can win if we play and play call like we did against Tennessee, quick passing, running the ball, pumped up defense, etc. I just am not optimistic about it at all. If we go 3-1 through those 4 games we will be doing well.

SmashmouthFootball
10-17-2011, 03:22 PM
If they don't turn the ball over, they can hang with and beat anyone in the league.

Win the turnover battle, win the ballgame.

Atlanta Dan
10-17-2011, 03:24 PM
If they don't turn the ball over, they can hang with and beat anyone in the league.

Win the turnover battle, win the ballgame.

Hard to win the turnover battle when you have secured 2 turnovers in 6 games - pass rush picked up yesterday - hopefully more turnovers is the next piece in the puzzle

steelfury02
10-18-2011, 11:55 AM
I have to say I think our chances increase of winning with zero turnovers but to beat NE and Baltimore we have to force some in their territory. I don't even think at this juncture I respect our offense enough to think they'd be able to do anything if we turned it over at say our own 15 to 20 yard line. We might get a field goal out of it - but nothing momentum shifting. PROVE ME WRONG STEELERS, PROVE ME WRONG!!!!!!!

Steelillini
10-18-2011, 01:52 PM
I always look at the season in 3-4 game stretches. 3 of the first 4 were on the road and I thought at best we would be 3-1 and I would be OK with 2-2. We are now in a 3 game stretch in which I think we need to go 3-0, 2 games down and 1 (AZ) to go. Then we have the 3 game trifecta of NE, Balt and Cincy, where I believe we need to be 2-1