PDA

View Full Version : Suisham

TAmes
10-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Lost amid the hand-wringing about the Steelers holding on to today's victory is the fact that if Suisham had made that 46-yd field goal in the 2nd Quarter, the game would never have seemed as close as it turned out.

With the game on the line, does anyone have confidence in Suisham?

What's Skippy up to these days? Might be time to bring him back for a tryout. He made his living in the 40-50 yd range...

jwmann2
10-17-2011, 12:02 AM
All teams have doubts in their kickers. Even in guys like Adam Vinatieri. Great punters and kickers are extremely hard to come by. You have to have leg strength, poise and a great work ethic.

tony hipchest
10-17-2011, 12:27 AM
hell, id just be glad with an offense and its coordinator proving it is capable of scoring more than twice against the likes of JAX on a consistant basis. :doh:

we'd probably be better off if we let arians kick field goals and have suisham call the plays.

pete74
10-17-2011, 05:55 AM
im actually happy the game went the way it did. if we played the 2nd half the way we played the 1st all the sport writers would have us right back up there to win the super bowl and i belive the steelers play better as the underdog.

we have a really good team and we just need to bring everything together and hopefully we do that and peak at the right time

tunes4life
10-17-2011, 08:49 AM
im actually happy the game went the way it did. if we played the 2nd half the way we played the 1st all the sport writers would have us right back up there to win the super bowl and i believe the steelers play better as the underdog.

we have a really good team and we just need to bring everything together and hopefully we do that and peak at the right time

I completely agree with this. It seems like it has been this way for 10 years or so. We always seem to play down to competition and we always play better when slighted. Not sure if that's personnel or coaching.

I do love the occasional blow out game where we can pull the starters at the beginning of the 4th. Does every game really have to come down to the wire?!? I'm getting too old for this sh*t.

steelfury02
10-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Re @ Underdog - Yup, even 08' season when we had the best defense since the Steel Curtain era - our offense played with a chip on their shoulder because of all the talk about how the o-line stunk, which is really what helped them become one of the most clutch offenses out of Pittsburgh I ever witnessed. That year, no matter what - you knew our defense was going to cause the turnover, or Ben was going to seal a final drive to win it. Our offensive philosophy of riding Ben's improv came to a screeching hault in the Super Bowl last year which is why we won't even make it back or win it all unless we can find a way to keep the pedal to the floor on offense.

Steelerfreak58
10-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Lost amid the hand-wringing about the Steelers holding on to today's victory is the fact that if Suisham had made that 46-yd field goal in the 2nd Quarter, the game would never have seemed as close as it turned out.

What's Skippy up to these days? Might be time to bring him back for a tryout. He made his living in the 40-50 yd range...

Really? You are trying to put that on the kicker? They were up 17-0 at one point and then Bruce Arians decided to act like he forgot what got him those points the ENTIRE SECOND HALF of the game but you want to call out the kicker...

SmashmouthFootball
10-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Suisham is serviceable, but not great. We just can't allow ourselves to put the team in a position where him making 45+ yarders consistently is imperative to our chances of winning the game.

I miss Reeds foot, but he was a knucklehead and too worried about a contract and he legitimately lost us multiple games last year. It was a good call to move on and we shouldn't try to re-visit it.

When we are in field goal range and looking to kick a field goal, we need to play like it. Make an honest effort to gain him those 5-7 extra yards. Avoid penalties and sacks.

Put him in a position to succeed and he's probably not going to shit the bed, but he's not going to go up there and kick 4 53 yarders to save our asses either.

truesteelerfan
10-17-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm not comfortable with our K situation- likely no one better out there or they would already be on a roster, but I would think of the hundred of college kickers last season, someone has to be as good as what we have- if not better. He says the right things about forgetting the past kicks he's missed- but he needs to make his foot do a better job of that IMO

Atlanta Dan
10-17-2011, 12:21 PM
I would be worried about Suisham kicking in a playoff game at Heinz in January but since the Steelers appear to be at best a wildcard team that is not a pressing concern

It may have been due to the wind but in addition to another missed FG his kickoffs also dropped off in the cooler weather

PhantomJB93
10-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Suisham's no Jeff Reed but anybody who thinks a better option is available before next offseason is a fool.

Anybody we can get mid-season will be equally inadequate, if not far worse than Suisham.

FanSince72
10-17-2011, 07:41 PM

I have more confidence in him now than when he first joined the team.

When he first came here he seemed nervous and it showed in his kicking. But now
I think he's gotten comfortable with Heinz field and comfortable with his teammates and he seems to have settled in as well as settled his nerves.

steelax04
10-18-2011, 09:54 AM

What about the running into the kicker that gave the Jags life on yet another one of their stalled drives? I think that was more of a factor in keeping this game close than Suisham's missed FG.

DanRooney
10-18-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm actually content with Suisham solely on the fact that he's able to boot it out of the endzone and tackle the kickoff returner if he doesn't. His kicks beyond 35 yards make you hold your breath.