PDA

View Full Version : Our pass defense.....

Danny136200
10-17-2011, 01:32 AM
Is awesome; and has been performing awesome since that week 1 debacle. Now, in two weeks, comes the real test. Can we slow down the pats? or was the pass defense beneficiary to playing bad QBs and the fact that teams can actually run on a Steeler defense. We shall see...

MDSteel15
10-17-2011, 09:14 AM
And why is that? Because the front is doing their job which alows them to do theirs!!! :hatsoff:

steelfury02
10-17-2011, 09:19 AM
I'll go with Post-Gazette's opinion piece - "Mssr Fitzgerald and Brady will be coming to 'pass' judgment in the next few weeks." And really, the Ravens and Cincy both have a nice passing attack. We have quite the gauntlet these next 4 games. If we go 3-1 I will be thrilled. THESE games are the measuring stick, and if our D-line and O-line do their part we'll be fine.

Not to make an excuse for our O - but we've seen what I feel are less talented teams do to the Pats defense and we've already beaten the team that has handled the Ravens so voila. 3-1 Is very doable. I really want this win at Arizona to soften the sting of any following losses. If we lose @ Arizona things aren't lookin very good IMHO.

shaner82
10-17-2011, 09:27 AM
I think we're in trouble against the Pats. Our pass defence is still very susceptible to short passes, which Brady will take advantage of all day long. Our run defence has been weak this year as well. We've played a few bad teams so far and I really think it's making us look better than we are. I also think to try to keep up with the Pats, Ariens and Ben are going to go deep every 4th or 5th play, which will just cause more 3 and outs.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see this team making the playoffs. I think some big changes are needed in the off season.

SmashmouthFootball
10-17-2011, 11:39 AM
The Defense has done a really good job even though they've been put in terrible positions with turnovers from the offense a lot of times.

Listen, in this day and age of the NFL, it's impossible to shut any team with a quality passing attack down. The defense is going to give up TD's at times because the only way to defend certain things often results in officials eagerly throwing flags.

The key for the defense is to be strong early and be strong late. If they are strong early, the offense needs to back them up by giving them a lead to play with. Often in games it comes down to whether you can get a stop on that no-huddle, two-minute drill offense or not. The best way to shut that down is to simply make a big play at some point. We have the personnel to make those timely plays, it all comes down to if they step up at the right time.

Danny136200
10-17-2011, 11:49 AM
I'll go with Post-Gazette's opinion piece - "Mssr Fitzgerald and Brady will be coming to 'pass' judgment in the next few weeks." And really, the Ravens and Cincy both have a nice passing attack. We have quite the gauntlet these next 4 games. If we go 3-1 I will be thrilled. THESE games are the measuring stick, and if our D-line and O-line do their part we'll be fine.

Not to make an excuse for our O - but we've seen what I feel are less talented teams do to the Pats defense and we've already beaten the team that has handled the Ravens so voila. 3-1 Is very doable. I really want this win at Arizona to soften the sting of any following losses. If we lose @ Arizona things aren't lookin very good IMHO.

IDK about the Cardinals, Kevin Kolb has been playing pretty awful this year, and the way the Dline is playing right (pass wise) has been playing very well the past two weeks. I believe that will continue in Arizona. And other the Fitzgerald, they really have no other receivers; the receiving corps that we played in the super bowl three years ago is basically gone and only Larry is playing good right now.

The pats defesne played well against the Cowboys, getting some pressure from their two fat, interior linemen against the Dallas offensive line. IDK if our offensive line is ready for that. We have to use the gameplan that we used against the titans. There were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many deep attempts that Ben overthrew (admittingly, they were wide-open), and, of course, he under-threw mike Wallace on a couple of deep passes. These bombs work only if you use the short and intermediate passes, which was under utilized yesterday, and our offense sputtered in the second half because of it.

All in all, I think our pass defense has been playing lights out (they did basically shutdown Hasselbeck, who was playing very well before we came along). and what we did yesterday, even though it was a rookie qb, was pretty impressive. WE have to start forcing turnovers though, we cant rely on forcing three-and-outs.

Thank you for the post people :)

Danny136200
10-17-2011, 12:06 PM
The Defense has done a really good job even though they've been put in terrible positions with turnovers from the offense a lot of times.

Listen, in this day and age of the NFL, it's impossible to shut any team with a quality passing attack down. The defense is going to give up TD's at times because the only way to defend certain things often results in officials eagerly throwing flags.

The key for the defense is to be strong early and be strong late. If they are strong early, the offense needs to back them up by giving them a lead to play with. Often in games it comes down to whether you can get a stop on that no-huddle, two-minute drill offense or not. The best way to shut that down is to simply make a big play at some point. We have the personnel to make those timely plays, it all comes down to if they step up at the right time.

You are absolutely right. The defense does need to be strong early and late. I think the defense, other than one drive in the thrid quarter that gave the jags some confidence, was lights out. The offence still needs to step up. The running game is getting really really good, with two back capable of starting IMO, but the deep bombs need to quelled a little. I think that is hurting the offense most times, as it is a very low percentage pass and results in a loss down with no gain. the game-plan against the titans was awesome; Arains just needs to tone down on the deep play-calling, which is a tough task since is helplessly addicted to them. And yes, we have play makers on defense, but the steelers have not create many turnovers, but look for that to change, I think we will start forcing turnovers, especially against the weaker opponents that we face after the three game gauntlet starting against the pats.

ricardisimo
10-17-2011, 12:26 PM
And I hasten to point out that Gay has been solid. He played a better game than Ike yesterday.

steelfury02
10-17-2011, 12:27 PM
As has been discussed before - there is a thin margin between being 9-7 and 12-4. I'm not that confident against Cardinals - simply because of playing down to competition and the fact they are coming off a bye (they are right?)

Do I think they are capable of getting to 5-2 - yup, but I certainly see a scenario where we watch a lead evaporate or get off to a terrible start. Basically - this team is up and down and mystifying. We have some time to find an identity, but we better do so
"While reflecting on a win - which is a much nicer feeling" to paraphrase Tomlin.

Even if we had beaten Houston and were sitting at 5-1 I'd still feel just as uncomfortable because that win wouldn't have soothed any doubts either.

I'm not in the locker room but I feel like this team needs to start rallying around the "too old" theme and the fact that Heinz has come out and said he is done after contract is up (2013). So - the window is officially starting to close for some - I'd hate to see Ward not go out with another ring.

DanRooney
10-17-2011, 12:50 PM
It's been outstanding since week 2. Was McFadden the weak link or has Gay and Lewis' play just gotten that much better?

Third Rail
10-17-2011, 01:18 PM
I don't know, but I'm just glad it seems to be working. They would have looked even more lights-out yesterday had special teams not f***ed them on 4th down and rushed the punter. Stupidest thing I have ever seen. They already had a comfortable lead, and Jax was backed up far enough that the punt probably didn't go that far.

Danny136200
10-17-2011, 01:18 PM
And I hasten to point out that Gay has been solid. He played a better game than Ike yesterday.

Gay has been playing really good, and Ike did give up a touchdown, but it seemed he was expecting some safety help. YAY FOR GAY!!!!

Danny136200
10-17-2011, 01:19 PM
I don't know, but I'm just glad it seems to be working. They would have looked even more lights-out yesterday had special teams not f***ed them on 4th down and rushed the punter. Stupidest thing I have ever seen. They already had a comfortable lead, and Jax was backed up far enough that the punt probably didn't go that far.

I know, it seemed kinda stupid, but we almost got to the punter; too bad nobody has told Mundy has cannot hit stick the punter....

Third Rail
10-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Yeah, if you can block a punt, that's really awesome, but at that point in the game, there wasn't even a need to try.

Danny136200
10-17-2011, 02:48 PM
As has been discussed before - there is a thin margin between being 9-7 and 12-4. I'm not that confident against Cardinals - simply because of playing down to competition and the fact they are coming off a bye (they are right?)

Do I think they are capable of getting to 5-2 - yup, but I certainly see a scenario where we watch a lead evaporate or get off to a terrible start. Basically - this team is up and down and mystifying. We have some time to find an identity, but we better do so
"While reflecting on a win - which is a much nicer feeling" to paraphrase Tomlin.

Even if we had beaten Houston and were sitting at 5-1 I'd still feel just as uncomfortable because that win wouldn't have soothed any doubts either.

I'm not in the locker room but I feel like this team needs to start rallying around the "too old" theme and the fact that Heinz has come out and said he is done after contract is up (2013). So - the window is officially starting to close for some - I'd hate to see Ward not go out with another ring.

This is true, we always play close with crappy teams it seems for the past several years. The first half looked like it was going to get ugly, then we got too cute with the deep bombs, and we let them back in it.

Danny136200
10-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Yeah, if you can block a punt, that's really awesome, but at that point in the game, there wasn't even a need to try.

You are correct, there was no need for even an attempt to block the punt, we were controlling the game defensively up to that point.

tanda10506
10-17-2011, 03:16 PM
It's been outstanding since week 2. Was McFadden the weak link or has Gay and Lewis' play just gotten that much better?

Both. Gay might be the most improved player this year. Most of our players started out somewhat poorly but are playing well now. Gay was horrible last year and is playing like a solid #2 corner, him and Lewis combined with the dime packages are why the pass defense is so much better. We haven't faced any great QB's yet, Flacco and Schaub are pretty good but Houston didn't pass on us that much. But the way we have done it against the other QB's has been good. We completely shut down Jackson, held Gabbert to 100 yards, and shut down Hasselbeck pretty well. Their's not many Brady's or Rodgers out there, and you aren't going to shut them down completely.

Steel_Bus_24
10-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Have to post it again

*Seahawks didnt have their best WR(Rice)
*Titans were down their best WR(Britt)
*Texans were down their best WR(Scratch that "The" Best WR in Johnson) most of the game(As if they needed to pass anyway)
*Colts played with Collins most of the Game
*Gabberts a Rookie with mediocre Receiving weapons....Ike was getting toasted though by his guy all day

They have not been tested.....the most complete threat they've faced was freaking Flacco....and got destroyed

Not saying they can't improve and be really good this year, I just don't take much stock into what they've done thus far......The real Test starts with NE....

Fire Arians
10-17-2011, 03:35 PM
andre johnson isn't the best wr, megatron is

Steel_Bus_24
10-17-2011, 04:19 PM

fine 1A...and 1B

SmashmouthFootball
10-17-2011, 04:26 PM
The Steelers have never had too much of a problem with big-play #1 recievers anyway though. They've always had much more trouble covering shifty little white dudes and athletic tight ends(well, at the moment pretty much everyone struggles at covering those guys). Almost always because either we don't get to the QB in time or because someone whiffs in coverage. The longer a d-back can stay with their guy, the more time you have to pressure the QB. It's gotta be a team effort defensively.

Danny136200
10-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Have to post it again

*Seahawks didnt have their best WR(Rice)
*Titans were down their best WR(Britt)
*Texans were down their best WR(Scratch that "The" Best WR in Johnson) most of the game(As if they needed to pass anyway)
*Colts played with Collins most of the Game
*Gabberts a Rookie with mediocre Receiving weapons....Ike was getting toasted though by his guy all day

They have not been tested.....the most complete threat they've faced was freaking Flacco....and got destroyed

Not saying they can't improve and be really good this year, I just don't take much stock into what they've done thus far......The real Test starts with NE....

You point out some good points against my argument that this pass defense is really good. And I do agree with you that we have not really faced hall of fame QBs during the first six weeks. But, I remember in years past, that we gave up alot of yardage in the air to even the bad teams. I remember Colt Mcoy's first start of his career, and even though they lost by 18, the Steelers made them look pretty good. I think there is a slight change in philosophy this year in stopping the pass first, because teams are passing the ball more and more.

And for the Ravens, Flacco did not destroy us by any means, Ray Rice single handly (and Ben and the offense helped along the way). I dont know why, but it seemed we did not gameplan for Rice, like he was not on the team for 3 years already.

BKAnthem
10-19-2011, 12:51 PM

Megatron is Just starting to come into his own...AJ has been the man since the day he stepped onto the field as a Texan