PDA

View Full Version : Steelers/Cards Question/Opinion

ebsteelers
10-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Is this game against the Cards a must win ?

sitting at 4-2, cards, then pats, then ravens,

to get us to 5-2, then split with ravens and pats
gets us to 6-3

where if we lose to cards, probably looking at 5-4.

i know are schedule gets alittle bit "softer " after ravens.

say softer because the bengals should be 2 wins but arent gimmies,
49ers wont be a gimmie, browns arent good but arent awful

So in short yet i think its a must win. (or close to it)

shaner82
10-17-2011, 08:57 AM
It is absolutely a must win.

With the way we have played this year, we are likely going to lose to both the Ravens and Pats. The Bengals are going to be a tough test, and I wouldn't be shocked if we split the series with them. The 49'ers are the real deal this year and are going to be tough to beat.

If we lose to the Cards, we're in serious trouble.

steelfury02
10-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Glad to see some similar opinions out there. I want us to win every game and in 16 games, every one is important, but I can't emphasize this game enough. If we win this one - I feel good that we don't lose twice in a row at home. I'm seeing 3-1 or 2-2 at worst. Anything else will probably seal any deal of getting a bye in playoffs. All speculation aside - we're a team that has a very thin margin of error.

SmashmouthFootball
10-17-2011, 10:54 AM
It's not a "must-win", but a loss puts a lot of unneccessary early pressure on a banged-up team. We need every victory we can get.

truesteelerfan
10-17-2011, 11:06 AM
We need to win the games against foes such as the Cards to keep up with the Ravens, a lose is not a good thing.

Atlanta Dan
10-17-2011, 11:28 AM
It is a very big game

Loss to Arizona and the Steelers probably are down to scrambling for a wild card heading into games against the 2 best teams on the schedule

The 1-2 road record, the inability to put bad teams away, and Troy's status are real concerns going into this game

Third Rail
10-17-2011, 12:26 PM
It's a must-win.

Although, ironically, it's the one game before the bye where a loss would hurt us the least, since it's against an NFC team, and a loss there would do less damage in the playoff hunt than a loss to the Pats, Ravens or Bengals.

That being said though, this team needs every win it can get. I think the next Steelers/Ravens match-up won't be so one-sided but that doesn't mean that we'll come out victorious. I certainly hope so, but they are playing better overall than we are right now. Cincy also has seemed to have found their stride as well; yeah, I know they're the Bengals, but they seemed to have turned themselves around, at least for the moment... Dalton doesn't really worry me but everyone has been talking Cincy's defense up lately. That's of concern because Ben has struggled against Cincy's defenses in the last two seasons.

And then there's the Pats. I hate to say it, but until the Steelers prove me wrong (and dear God, oh how I want them too) I always just assume that Pats week will result in a loss.

Though, if we do lose to the Cards and that somehow lights a fire under Pittsburgh's ass and they beat the next three teams, I'll probably be ecstatic. But that shouldn't be necessary; their disappointment in their own performance in the second half of yesterday's game should be enough to get them to beat the Cards soundly next week.

DoctorCAD
10-17-2011, 12:45 PM
How do you think we are going to split with the Ravens and the Pats?

A Cards win and 2 losses still gives us a 5-4. I hope last weeks team (plus one quarter this week) shows up, if not we are probably out of the playoff picture. Nobody wants that!!! I'd rather see 7 -2 at the end of the 3 weeks.

The Cards game is a must-win, as are all of the games.

Fire Arians
10-17-2011, 12:47 PM
this is a big game for us. nobody wants to think of it, but if we lose here, we can easily end up 4-5 after this 3 game stretch if we don't get it together soon. ne and balt are both looking like super bowl contenders, and let's not forget that cincy is actually playing well also.

Atlanta Dan
10-17-2011, 12:54 PM
How do you think we are going to split with the Ravens and the Pats? .

By beating the Ravens (which usually happens when Roethlisberger plays) and losing to New England (which almost always happens when Brady plays)?:noidea:

Atlanta Dan
10-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Steelers are favored by 3 &1/2 - I would make it a pick 'em

Bayz101
10-17-2011, 12:59 PM
If you recall. Last year, the Steelers always had a habit of having a great first half, and then losing lots of ground in the second. We have seen a little bit of that against lesser teams this year, so it's not completely gone.

When we need to come back from behind in the second half, we usually do a good job making things happen. With the Cardinals, Patriots and Ravens coming up, I have a feeling we'll be pulling some comebacks.

Now looking forward, we're play in Arizona next week. We always have a tough time in the sand, and this game will be tough, buuuut. I think we'll execute a good gameplan, and take a decent lead into the fourth quarter.

Truthfully guys, I only care about one thing. Not next week. But the following week. The Gaytriots. I'm sick and tired of being under their boot, and in my opinion, we need to beat them this year for any extended playoff hopes. NO EXCUSES. We have more weapons now than ever for Ben to use, and he needs to fire them!

Rotorhead
10-17-2011, 01:00 PM
I can see us beating NE better than Balty actually. Their Def licks sack this season and they cant run. Our D is better against passing this season so it is a better matchup than in the past. I think we will do enough to beat the Cards just like the Jags. Same goes for Cincy. If we play Balty like the Tenn game we have a chance. I am hopeful for a 100% Harrison and healthier OL (gilbert and kemo) after this week to help out

DoctorCAD
10-17-2011, 03:20 PM
By beating the Ravens (which usually happens when Roethlisberger plays) and losing to New England (which almost always happens when Brady plays)?:noidea:

Were you absent in week 1?

Fire Arians
10-17-2011, 03:43 PM
I can see us beating NE better than Balty actually. Their Def licks sack this season and they cant run. Our D is better against passing this season so it is a better matchup than in the past. I think we will do enough to beat the Cards just like the Jags. Same goes for Cincy. If we play Balty like the Tenn game we have a chance. I am hopeful for a 100% Harrison and healthier OL (gilbert and kemo) after this week to help out

agree, although NE's offense has always been good, I think the ravens are the better team overall

SmashmouthFootball
10-17-2011, 03:48 PM
How do you think we are going to split with the Ravens and the Pats?

A Cards win and 2 losses still gives us a 5-4. I hope last weeks team (plus one quarter this week) shows up, if not we are probably out of the playoff picture. Nobody wants that!!! I'd rather see 7 -2 at the end of the 3 weeks.

The Cards game is a must-win, as are all of the games.

You act like the Ravens have a history of success at our place...

Week 1 was simply a game that got out of control. We're not going to turn the ball over 7 times again. It'll probably be a close game when the Ravens come here and we generally fare pretty well against them in close games, especially at home.

Atlanta Dan
10-17-2011, 04:36 PM

No - i was around, as I was when the Ravens lost on the road the next week to the Titans and as I was when the Jets got stomped by the Patriots on Monday night last year then beat the Pats a month later in the playoffs

ebsteelers
10-18-2011, 07:52 AM
No - i was around, as I was when the Ravens lost on the road the next week to the Titans and as I was when the Jets got stomped by the Patriots on Monday night last year then beat the Pats a month later in the playoffs

agreed 100%... could go on for days about a team that gets blown out game one then comes back and wins game 2..

glad im not the only one thinking its a must win..

ebsteelers
10-18-2011, 07:54 AM

ATL Dan just buried this guy..
:rofl:

you do realize just cause something happens one game doesnt mean it will happen again right?

probably the same guy that had his vacation bags packed when it was 21-7 at the half in the playoff game last year