10-17-2011, 04:52 PM
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i341/boris_dobrusin/steelersdefense.jpg

How 'bout those "old" dogs? :tt03:

ggoldman
10-17-2011, 05:08 PM
All is care about is points against, and we're tied for 5th with 17

Merchant
10-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Wow, there really is no pleasing fans on this board is there lol. It`s all criticism and worry. Nothing wrong with giving the team a pat on the back once in a while. Geez.

ggoldman
10-17-2011, 05:24 PM
being the #1 pass D and total D is just a bonus

Steeler4life1972
10-17-2011, 05:39 PM
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i341/boris_dobrusin/steelersdefense.jpg

How 'bout those "old" dogs? :tt03:i love the stats but you need to take in account the quality of opponents!

tony hipchest
10-17-2011, 06:20 PM
All is care about is points against, and we're tied for 5th with 17more like 4th place all by their lonesome... but hey, who cares about accuracy? :wink02:

as per usual, yards allowed is a great indicator of points allowed, and theres a distinct correlation. once we start generating some turnovers, the PA should go down even further.

Fire Arians
10-17-2011, 06:31 PM
i love the stats but you need to take in account the quality of opponents!

hasselbeck and schaub are pretty good i hear :wink02:

BengalDestroyer
10-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Notice that there are 3 AFC North teams in the top 5 of each of those categories...

GMU Steeler
10-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Hope it stays that way. I understand the point that we haven't played a truly great QB yet but you don't choose your schedule number one and two in the past our pass D tended to struggle against young and unknown QBs. Contrast how we handled Blaine Gabbert yesterday to how we handled Colt McCoy last year for example. What we need more of is turnovers though. We're starting to get the sacks and pressure so hopefully we see more turnovers in the coming weeks.

ebsteelers
10-18-2011, 08:59 AM
good stuff here. whats are rushing d at?

i would say at least 75% of the time, when your d is ranked 1 in defense and 1 in pass d.. your gonna be doing pretty well.. except for the rare case like sd last year were your specials teams single handily loses you 2 to 3 games

steelfury02
10-18-2011, 09:07 AM
- Dire need of a convincing road win (even if it is a 1-5 team)
- I would argue the only good QB we have faced is Flacco. I would put him a peg above Hasselhoff and Schaub - especially Schaub - the guy has zero leadership skills IMHO. AND then as Tomlin has stated, even then we haven't faced an elite QB trying to torch us with the quick passing attack. Our two losses come down to turnovers (and then of course protection issues - imagine that)
- Stats are for losers (just jokin:flap:) - Seriously though, we've all discussed an analyst's job of churning up stories where there might not be any so I take that with a grain of salt in terms of us being old and done. I bet if someone had a private conversation with most former NFL players/coaches that are analysts they would tell you that anyone that counts the Steelers out this early is kidding themselves.

JustinM
10-18-2011, 09:54 AM
AFC NORTH FTWWWWW

madtowndrunkard
10-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Considering we've played the 3 worst offenses in the league in 5 games I'm having a tough time getting excited about our current ranking.

Lets talk about this after the NE game.

Steelers>NFL
10-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Considering we've played the 3 worst offenses in the league in 5 games I'm having a tough time getting excited about our current ranking.

Lets talk about this after the NE game.

^^^ This..... Until then, nothing to get too excited about.

SoCalFan
10-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Now if we could raise OUR average PPG scored,we will be in great shape!!!

MasterOfPuppets
10-18-2011, 11:59 AM
i love the stats but you need to take in account the quality of opponents!
and ? its not like other teams haven't had cream puffs on their schedules.

madtowndrunkard
10-18-2011, 10:28 PM
and ? its not like other teams haven't had cream puffs on their schedules.

I do believe we've had the easiest schedule in the NFL so far. All that has done as bought us some time to right the ship.

We've got a below average team this weekend...then it's go time. You can expect the Cardinals to give us all we can handle even though they are 1-4. Their backs are against the wall and Whiz knows our game plans as good as anyone....and they are coming off a bye. I'll be surprised if we win this game.

We still have glaring problems IMO. A good coach will expose them. We can't handle blitzs.... we can't stop an opponent from running if they really want to run. We can't finish off drives and put up 7 points. Expect some trick plays that will catch us over pursuing and unusual blitzes designed to make Ben fumble.

Whiz is going to go far the turnovers. He has to know if he wins that battle he can beat us by owning the clock.

steelerchad
10-18-2011, 11:25 PM
more like 4th place all by their lonesome... but hey, who cares about accuracy? :wink02:

as per usual, yards allowed is a great indicator of points allowed, and theres a distinct correlation. once we start generating some turnovers, the PA should go down even further.

I was about to say the same thing. 6 games and we've forced 1 turnover. This will change. Holding teams to league low in total yards without shorting them any possessions is difficult. When the turnovers start this D will look dominant again.

also, the run d looks average and they are giving up some big runs. But the pass d is much improved so far. Sounds like a much needed adjustment was made to me. It was nice having a brick wall run d last year, but teams just gave up and threw all over us and it worked for the good qb's.
balanced d, just like a balance o.