PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Else Here????

Goldsteel86
10-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Feel that there is talent on this team that is not being used to even half of its potential. I mean from, Brown to Sanders, Heath, Heyward, Hood, Lewis, etc.... I am getting the sneaky feeling it is not being utilized for personal gains and quite frankly it is getting old, don't get me wrong but I loved the way Mendenhall played yesterday, I would love to see more Redman and Dwyer, more Sanders and Brown in manageable situations. What can Heyward and Hood actually do, Keisel is playing real solid, but I am a little nervous, what happens when Smith come back? I see alot of talent and upside, not alot of chances, I would hate to see wasted talent and youth, anyone else feel this way???

ETL
10-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Nope

FanSince72
10-17-2011, 11:08 PM
I don't think the talent isn't being utilized, I just don't think that it has fully "clicked" yet.

The ridiculous revolving door on the O-line is a huge part of this because consistency and productivity starts with a solid O-line and we just don't have that.
And that's not a personnel thing, it's just that the line hasn't played with the same five guys long enough to develop any predictability.
Without predictability on the O-line, it's hard to play confidently and to really open up a playbook and work it to its fullest potential.
I'm not a big fan of Arians but let's face it, it's tough to call a game when you're not sure who's going to be playing left tackle or left guard from game to game or even series to series.

I've thought many times over the last couple of seasons that our problems aren't with offense or defense or personnel, but rather with the training staff.
I don't think I've ever seen a team with as many injury problems as we have.
I look at other teams and it's the same guys game after game and season after season.
But with us it's gotten to the point where if I go outside to have a smoke, I come back and the line that was playing five minutes ago isn't there anymore.

I'll bet that no matter who is playing on the O-line, if they could just play together for more than a week, a lot of our problems would disappear.

tanda10506
10-17-2011, 11:55 PM
I do. Smith should be sitting while Hood starts and Heyward gets into the rotation. Can't make a claim for sitting Keisel, played excellent in the last 2. I think Sylvester sitting the bench instead of Foote is kind of ridiculous, but their may be a case to be made as our defense has been better with Foote. Probably just a coincidence there though. McFadden starting in front of Lewis, Brown, Allen or anybody is a waste of talent, but that seems to have gone away. I think overall we have A LOT of talent, and it makes it seem like we are wasting it.

tony hipchest
10-18-2011, 12:00 AM
nope.

smith is sitting right along side mcfadden. where have you guys been?

steelfury02
10-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Diesel still has the eye of the tiger (that dwells in his beard)

Thank goodness McSlowen is riding the pine. I feel something heavy that is taking a lot of space - oh yea, his weight against the cap.

theplatypus
10-18-2011, 10:15 AM
good lord

BossAus
10-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Smith, McFadden, Foote, and Farrior need to be gone next year. That'll clear up cap room for Wallace and also allow the youngins to get a look.

JustinM
10-18-2011, 12:24 PM
omgconspiracytheory

wera176
10-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Dunno, from what I saw Foote and Farrioir (especially Farrior) played pretty dang well Sunday.

steelfury02
10-18-2011, 12:35 PM
What is frustrating having to swallow the 1 game at a time attitude when you know damn well they are looking to the "oh shite" challenges coming up. Even if we win and go to 5-2 it won't mean crap. Getting antsy as all heck!

kirklandrules
10-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Smith, McFadden, Foote, and Farrior need to be gone next year. That'll clear up cap room for Wallace and also allow the youngins to get a look.

And how are the yougins not getting a look this year. Hood has played more than Smith; Heyward has been in the rotation; McLendon has had his share of playing time; McFadden played 1 game this year and that has given Gay and Lewis plenty of field time; I've seen plenty of Mundy; Brown and Sanders are in more than last year and the same can be said of Dwyer; Stevenson hasn't had a lot of opportunities to play with the 1st string defense, but I would attribute that to Foote and Farrior being better :noidea:

But basically I do agree with you that Smith will most likely be gone and just can't picture Farrior continuing to play at this level. And will Ward want to go through the effort just to be #4?

stb_steeler
10-18-2011, 09:17 PM
like ive said before and i'll say it again. thank goodness you armchair QB's dont run this team....:popcorn:

madtowndrunkard
10-18-2011, 10:12 PM
The offense is miss managed. We have Bruce Arians...former Cleveland Brown O-Coordinator running our offense.

Our offense could go a long way to improving our defense by just managing the clock and being efficient. Arians philosophy of trying to hit a HR at every AB is a mistake prone system that also gives opposing defenses the opportunity to create big plays often. Arians system ignores the strengths and weaknesses of the team.... instead we've spent the last few years trying to find players to fit Arians flawed system. Which is the exact reason we've ignored the O-line since Arians took over.

This was a team so loaded with playmakers and talent on both sides of the ball..... there should be no other results other then winning. Anything short of winning a SB is a total failure for this team. (assuming key players are healthy) Fact of the matter is we have more talent then any team in the league. Only the O-line is sub par and that is by choice.

Steelerfreak58
10-18-2011, 11:37 PM
I have one word that will have just about everyone in agreement that talent is under used on this team and its really because our OC sucks giant donkey balls......

MILLLER #83

nuff said.

Fire Arians
10-18-2011, 11:42 PM
we just need to fire arians and we will go 16-0

nikstar
10-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Im really starting to feel the O-line gets a lot of slack put their way from Ben for his tendencies to hold on to the ball to long, extend the play, change routes and checkdowns and because of this they are asked to be on the field for a longer time period per play overall.

This is the reason for our injuries and rotation on the line but for the remaining time that 2 time superbowl winning champ Ben Roethlesberger is our quarterback it may just be the way it works around Pittsburgh. It really makes a lot of sense why Ben is always raving about the o-line.

Danny136200
10-19-2011, 02:03 AM
Feel that there is talent on this team that is not being used to even half of its potential. I mean from, Brown to Sanders, Heath, Heyward, Hood, Lewis, etc.... I am getting the sneaky feeling it is not being utilized for personal gains and quite frankly it is getting old, don't get me wrong but I loved the way Mendenhall played yesterday, I would love to see more Redman and Dwyer, more Sanders and Brown in manageable situations. What can Heyward and Hood actually do, Keisel is playing real solid, but I am a little nervous, what happens when Smith come back? I see alot of talent and upside, not alot of chances, I would hate to see wasted talent and youth, anyone else feel this way???

I dont get were you are going with this. Personal gains, what do you mean by that?

Sean95m
10-19-2011, 03:52 AM
Holding on to the ball too long? I mean this season Ben has been hit just as he drops back, thank god he CAN scramble! Brady would be out for the season already with the hits Ben has taken. And what about the 2 no calls when he got hit low this season. Heaven forbid if it happened to Tommy boy, Manny if he was playing, or even Rodgers. Ben has made some mistakes, but overall the guy has played his ass off!

BossAus
10-19-2011, 07:07 AM
And how are the yougins not getting a look this year. Hood has played more than Smith; Heyward has been in the rotation; McLendon has had his share of playing time; McFadden played 1 game this year and that has given Gay and Lewis plenty of field time; I've seen plenty of Mundy; Brown and Sanders are in more than last year and the same can be said of Dwyer; Stevenson hasn't had a lot of opportunities to play with the 1st string defense, but I would attribute that to Foote and Farrior being better :noidea:

But basically I do agree with you that Smith will most likely be gone and just can't picture Farrior continuing to play at this level. And will Ward want to go through the effort just to be #4?

I meant more on the lines of Brown or Allen getting some time, and Stevenson Sylvester getting to play (seriously, even in the Titans game didn't even get a whiff of him. It's not like Foote is phenomenal). I do like that Heyward is getting time. I don't consider Hood among these players because he seriously should be starting and I get PO'd everytime Smith is healthy enough to play and gets the nod over him. The love affair with Smith needs to stop.

FanSince72
10-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Im really starting to feel the O-line gets a lot of slack put their way from Ben for his tendencies to hold on to the ball to long, extend the play, change routes and checkdowns and because of this they are asked to be on the field for a longer time period per play overall.

This is the reason for our injuries and rotation on the line but for the remaining time that 2 time superbowl winning champ Ben Roethlesberger is our quarterback it may just be the way it works around Pittsburgh. It really makes a lot of sense why Ben is always raving about the o-line.

Have you ever watched New England play offense?
The reason I ask is because when Brady gets the snap, he generally has time to do his tax returns before he has to actually think about throwing the ball. Many times he drops back to the pocket and simply STANDS there like a kid who just peeked over a sand dune and saw the ocean for the first time.

Ben, on the other hand, gets the snap and in half a second he's got at least two guys chasing him all over the lot, so now his receivers have to break off routes and try to get open before Ben gets swamped.

Both QB's may have actually had the ball in their hands for six or seven seconds (or more) but while one has to struggle to stay awake, the other is struggling to stay upright.

Put another way, if Ben had the protection that Brady enjoys, we'd be winning games by 40 points or more.

truesteelerfan
10-19-2011, 12:05 PM
I agree with the previous poster- what kind of personal gains do you think our coaching/fo staff will get by not playing the best player?

wera176
10-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Have you ever watched New England play offense?
The reason I ask is because when Brady gets the snap, he generally has time to do his tax returns before he has to actually think about throwing the ball. Many times he drops back to the pocket and simply STANDS there like a kid who just peeked over a sand dune and saw the ocean for the first time.

Ben, on the other hand, gets the snap and in half a second he's got at least two guys chasing him all over the lot, so now his receivers have to break off routes and try to get open before Ben gets swamped.

Both QB's may have actually had the ball in their hands for six or seven seconds (or more) but while one has to struggle to stay awake, the other is struggling to stay upright.

Put another way, if Ben had the protection that Brady enjoys, we'd be winning games by 40 points or more.

I agree 100%. My wife hates it when I do watch the Patsies because I scream about the time he has back there, time to do his nails, write that novel, etc... Sure he can get rid of it quick, but when he doesn't he has all the time in the world. I had a discussion with a Pats fan about that, he claimed Brady was mobile. I asked him how he knew, Brady never gets flushed from the pocket, and when he does get pressure he doesn't run because he knows if he does gets hit someone is getting flagged and fined.... :flap:

Goldsteel86
10-19-2011, 06:33 PM
I dont get were you are going with this. Personal gains, what do you mean by that?

Personal gain most definitely, you figured me out!!! I receive $50 to $75 dollars for everyone who responds to my posts. As a matter of fact for you blessing me with your post I received $67.50. :wave:

theplatypus
10-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Personal gain most definitely, you figured me out!!! I receive $50 to $75 dollars for everyone who responds to my posts. As a matter of fact for you blessing me with your post I received $67.50. :wave:

You might want to go back and read your initial post.

finesward
10-20-2011, 07:21 AM

Yep, Tomlin and Rooney are getting paid under the table by guys like Farrior, Foote, Ward, Kiesel, Smith (odd as he hasn't played but a game or two) just so they can keep starting.

I'm sure the young guys are as fed up with it as you apparently are :jerkit: