PDA

View Full Version : Is Wallace the best deep-threat in the game?

Merchant
10-19-2011, 02:14 AM
With the days of Randy Moss and T.O. gone, and players such as Chad Johnson (I refuse to call him Ochocinco) dwindling down to levels of irrelevance, the title of the NFL's best deep-threat is up for grabs.

Candidates:
Mike Wallace
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Calvin Johsnon
Desean Jackson
Vincent Jackson
Roddy White

Feel free to add someone if you think I've missed them. If we're talking about all-around receivers, Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, and Calvin are still ahead of the still young Wallace. However, strictly speaking as a deep-threat, I don't think anyone in the game right now is as good as Mike Wallace. He's arguably the fastest player in the NFL along with Chris Johnson. Even when the CB permits a 15-yard cushion with safety help over the top, Wallace still has the blazing speed to get open downfield. His YPC speaks for itself and he is the NFL's new top deep-threat.

Fire Arians
10-19-2011, 02:23 AM
wallace and desean jackson

calvin johnson is probably the best overall. while there's no denying he's a good deep threat, he's an almost impossible to stop redzone target.

Danny136200
10-19-2011, 02:40 AM
wallace and desean jackson

calvin johnson is probably the best overall. while there's no denying he's a good deep threat, he's an almost impossible to stop redzone target.

I have a problem putting Jackson in the same league as Wallace. Desean is really really fast, and can put up some highlight reels; but when you look at the numbers, he catches only 55% of his passes. Mike Wallace on the other hand, has been catching 75% of the balls thrown to him; all while he is averaging 18.5 YPC (which, is .5 less than jackson).

So I do not really think Jackson should be on the list.

And Calvin Johnson has been a straight up beast. He has been a touchdown machine right now.

Fire Arians
10-19-2011, 02:48 AM
I have a problem putting Jackson in the same league as Wallace. Desean is really really fast, and can put up some highlight reels; but when you look at the numbers, he catches only 55% of his passes. Mike Wallace on the other hand, has been catching 75% of the balls thrown to him; all while he is averaging 18.5 YPC (which, is .5 less than jackson).

So I do not really think Jackson should be on the list.

And Calvin Johnson has been a straight up beast. He has been a touchdown machine right now.

True, though I based my response mainly on which WR's out of the bunch is most likely to beat you deep with speed. Wallace and Jackson are among the fastest in the NFL.

Ditto on thoughts about Megatron, total beast

DanRooney
10-19-2011, 04:39 AM
"but DeSean Jackson is more of a complete receiver"

:coffee:

SoCalFan
10-19-2011, 06:00 AM
Whats the guys name in Buffalo,hes pretty scary!Although I believe hes the one who dropped the game winning ball for us!Stevie something?

Lokki
10-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Whats the guys name in Buffalo,hes pretty scary!Although I believe hes the one who dropped the game winning ball for us!Stevie something?

Stevie Johnson

ebsteelers
10-19-2011, 09:11 AM

dumper is that you lol...
kidding

where is that dump head at?

you know plax would be on his list, and the 3 million he wanted us to throw at him..

hahaa

Steelerfreak58
10-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Not if BB can't get the ball to him on a consistent basis.

tanda10506
10-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Based on deep threat alone, yes he is. Only D.Jackson is close to being as fast as him, but Jackson is shorter and inconsistant. He's the #1 deep threat and in the top 5 overall IMO

fer522
10-19-2011, 01:48 PM
i know Wallace is faster but i'd take Calvin J. #1
i just don't know how much better Mike can get
with the OC we have, i feel like he could be much
more than just a deep threat
and you can't just be throwing deep balls all the time:banging::banging:

Mike W. Rec Yds 612 Yds/Game 102.0 TD 4

Calvin J. Rec Yds 564 Yds/Game 94.0 TD 9

DanRooney
10-19-2011, 02:02 PM
i know Wallace is faster but i'd take Calvin J. #1
i just don't know how much better Mike can get
with the OC we have, i feel like he could be much
more than just a deep threat
and you can't just be throwing deep balls all the time:banging::banging:

Mike W. Rec Yds 612 Yds/Game 102.0 TD 4

Calvin J. Rec Yds 564 Yds/Game 94.0 TD 9

Of course you take Calvin over Wallace. Calvin just has freakish height and athletic ability to go along with his freakish stride. But Wallace is definitely a top 5-7 receiver in this league. I can't believe people were trying to argue he wasn't in the top 10.

19ward86
10-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Steve Smith is right there with him i think. He started to fall off the list when big Jake and Matt Moore were their QBs the last few seasons

steeltheone
10-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Be realistic...Wallace is not yet on the elite level...Getting there!

pete74
10-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Wallace is awesome but he isn't megaton and probably never will be. Calvin is usually triple covered and still manages to jump over everyone and make the catch. He's the jerry rice of this decade. Wallace is a great WR but I don't see him ever being that good

Merchant
10-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Remember folks.. this is strictly talking about deep-threats. I pointed out right away that I don't think Wallace is better than Calvin, Andre, or Fitz.

Fire Arians
10-20-2011, 01:19 PM
the most important thing is WALLACE >>>>>>>> SANTONIO HOLMES

fuzzy159
10-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Wallace is awesome but he isn't megaton and probably never will be. Calvin is usually triple covered and still manages to jump over everyone and make the catch. He's the jerry rice of this decade. Wallace is a great WR but I don't see him ever being that good

Megatron is more like Randy Moss than Rice.

Wallace is the best deep threat without a doubt. He led the league in 40+ yard receptions in 2010.

effyou515
10-20-2011, 07:25 PM
would like to see Wallace retire a steeler.

Goldsteel86
10-20-2011, 10:32 PM
would like to see Wallace retire a steeler.

Wallace will be in the Burgh for a while, however I would like to see Wallace become more of a dangerous "complete receiver" than being the best deep threat. He has the skills, the short to medium routes will set up the deep routes, I surely hope that his play compliments this offense rather than he making himself simply one dimensional.

JustinM
10-20-2011, 11:22 PM
the most important thing is WALLACE >>>>>>>> SANTONIO HOLMES

Holmes still made an incredible TD grab in that super bowl we had...

Goldsteel86
10-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Holmes still made an incredible TD grab in that super bowl we had...

Yes he did, wasn't a deep pass though, if you would have referred to Swann or Stallworth I would have to agree. Santonio made an unbelievable possession grab at the most important time, however Santonio was great for the Steelers for his YAC numbers.

fuzzy159
10-21-2011, 12:17 AM
Wallace will be in the Burgh for a while, however I would like to see Wallace become more of a dangerous "complete receiver" than being the best deep threat. He has the skills, the short to medium routes will set up the deep routes, I surely hope that his play compliments this offense rather than he making himself simply one dimensional.

Have you not watched him this season lol?

Goldsteel86
10-21-2011, 12:39 AM
Have you not watched him this season lol?

Ummmm yes. He has had a couple or three deep passes, what exactly are you asking. Is he a complete receiver yet????? You tell me, is he, or please telll me what you are asking, thanks!!!!!

Sean95m
10-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Keep in mind this is only Wallaces 2nd season as a fulltime starter. Johnson has been starting in Detroit for what 4-5 years now>? Johnson has peeked, Wallace isnt even close and that's scary! When he is done he might just be a 5 trick pony!

SunshineMan21
10-22-2011, 02:50 PM
What traditional stats don't measure is that Wallace also has a freakishly high catch rate. People assume that fast receivers must have poor ball skills/hands, but Wallace's are, statistically among the very best in the game.

IMO, the only three receivers currently better than Wallace are Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald. I think you could make an argument for a couple other guys, but realistically there's no way Wallace isn't top 5-7.

#1LambertFan
10-22-2011, 09:36 PM

Beating the dead dog here but I thought complete receivers catch balls.