PDA

View Full Version : I wish Ariens did this

shaner82
10-19-2011, 12:26 PM
I heard an interesting interview yesterday on the NFL network. When Hugh Jackson was hired in Oakland, he had a RB that was considered a huge bust at the time, Darren McFadden. So he went to McFadden and asked him why he thought he was struggling. He asked him what he does very well. McFadden said he catches passes out of the back field really well, so Jackson committed to run such plays often to take advantage of his RB's skills. Jackson then asked him what he doesn't do well and he told him that he won't run plays often that McFadden doesn't do well. 1.5 years later, McFadden is one of the best RB's in the league.

I wish Ariens had that mentality. Mendy is a great pass catcher, but we don't utilize those skills. Mendy can run outside and get around the corner quite well, but we rarely find ways to get those plays in either. Basically we tell Mendy to line up and run it to the right over and over and over, which he does well, but that's not his greatest strengths. Yes, running up the gut sets up other things, but we don't set up other things, we continue to run it up the gut with little success.

Listen, I'm not a fan of Mendy as a person, but he was a 1st round pick for a reason. He's super talented, yet we're wasting those talents. If we're going to draft RB's in the 1st round, maybe we should actually utilize the skills that they bring to the team. Otherwise, lets not draft RB's in the 1st round, because any half talented RB can run straight ahead.

MACH1
10-19-2011, 12:44 PM
You should know by now that arians does not make adjustments. He's to arrogant and thick headed and keeps running the same shit over and over and over again, hence the predictability. His play calling telegraphs what the next play is going to be and so on. For him to adjust the whole O for one guy isn't going to happen especially if it involves a running back.

theplatypus
10-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Listen, I'm not a fan of Mendy as a person

As if you know anything about him. Oh that's right he tweeted how he felt strange celebrating someone's death.

shaner82
10-19-2011, 12:50 PM
As if you know anything about him. Oh that's right he tweeted how he felt strange celebrating someone's death.

No, I don't know him, but from what little I do know, I don't like. I'm sure you've judged an athlete or celebrity before. I'm not the only one. Anyway, my post wasn't really about my like or dislike for Mendy, or what kind of person he is

steelfury02
10-19-2011, 12:54 PM
I thought we already had an o-coordinator that catered to the whims of one QB instead of employing schemes that takes advantage of the opposing defensive weaknesses in all SITUATIONS. Hence a consistently sputtering offense that just so happened to have about a half a dozen great games at the right time under Arians' watch.

Fire Arians
10-19-2011, 01:20 PM
i wish arians did this: RETIRE

fer522
10-19-2011, 01:33 PM
i wish arians did this: RETIRE

man you are my hero lmao:chuckle:

stb_steeler
10-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Airhead dont need no stinkin RB.......:doh:

Steeldude
10-19-2011, 01:54 PM
so much pure hate for arians. come on guys, he starts off slow. there is no way the FO would hire someone who was not a great OC.

casteeler
10-19-2011, 02:37 PM
^^ I think originally they made him offensive coordinator under the assumption that he would identify plays that work and plays to scrap but in the end he will still call a Run on first down, possibly a 40 yard pass attempt on second or third and cross his fingers that Wallace can haul it in or Sanders or Brown can run the correct route

shaner82
10-19-2011, 02:44 PM
I thought we already had an o-coordinator that catered to the whims of one QB instead of employing schemes that takes advantage of the opposing defensive weaknesses in all SITUATIONS. Hence a consistently sputtering offense that just so happened to have about a half a dozen great games at the right time under Arians' watch.

The funny thing about that is that Ariens caters to Ben, but it's not like he even game plans around Ben's strengths. Ben doesn't have a very strong arm. He can get the ball down field, but not with a lot of accuracy, and it usually ends up being a bit of a rainbow pass, yet Ariens continues to go with the deep ball. Ben is good while on the move, but rarely are any plays called that gets Ben out of the pocket. Ben doesn't get the ball out quickly, never has, yet Ariens gives him as little protection as possible with an empty back field and no TE's left in to block.

It's like Ariens doesn't care who can do what, he just wants to run his game plan, and to hell with strengths, weaknesses, situations, etc. I can't believe he's even in the NFL with that mindset.

steelax04
10-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Please, if we're going to trash the guy, at least spell his name right...

Steelerfreak58
10-19-2011, 03:53 PM
so much pure hate for arians. come on guys, he starts off slow. there is no way the FO would hire someone who was not a great OC.

The team has been great in spite of Arians and his crap play calling abilities.

truesteelerfan
10-19-2011, 04:04 PM
I wish he.....Got hired by the Ravens as their HC?

truesteelerfan
10-19-2011, 04:27 PM
lol- I like this game!

He could try to be our QB in practice (w.o a red jersey) and try to run HIS plays behind our OL.
He could try to run it up the middle again in practice as an RB and get stuffed like our RB's do.
He could be the WR who runs go patterns again and again because he wants to do this at least 5X per game.

ricardisimo
10-19-2011, 05:11 PM
I wish Arians' QB had the cojones to say this (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82345758/article/bears-cutler-brushes-off-profanity-directed-at-oc-martz?module=HP11_headline_stack) to him on national TV. :toofunny:

btaylor179
10-19-2011, 05:53 PM
i bet he runs that dreaded ass wr screen that NEVER works.......

stb_steeler
10-19-2011, 07:51 PM
I wish Arians' QB had the cojones to say this (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82345758/article/bears-cutler-brushes-off-profanity-directed-at-oc-martz?module=HP11_headline_stack) to him on national TV. :toofunny:

funny that u mention this, i just seen an interview with ben. they were telling him the fans arent happy with the steelers performance, his responce was were 4-2 jacksonville has a good defense. Apparently the steelers think their playintg well

Steelerfreak58
10-20-2011, 12:12 AM
funny that u mention this, i just seen an interview with ben. they were telling him the fans arent happy with the steelers performance, his responce was were 4-2 jacksonville has a good defense. Apparently the steelers think their playintg well

Got to see what they say when the Pats and Ravens come to town and make us look silly.

This team could EASILY be 2-4 right now and the way the offense has been called by BA it is by mere luck that it is not. If he could pull his head out of his ass and watch what worked against the TITANS and attempt to use more play calling like that we would blow teams doors off. HOWEVER we all know that if something is working BA sticks his head further up his ass and forgets and goes back to the bubble WR screen that doesn't work, and attempting long developing passing plays that gets BB crushed and our O-Line made to look like garbage.

Daysnways
10-20-2011, 08:00 AM
I blame Ben and Tomlin.

Ben wanted Bruce back and I'd say he's the primary reason he's still here.

I wanted shot of Arians after our last SB win, I was praying he would retire. I'm afraid lightening will not strike twice, we will never win the SB again until Bruce leaves.

He's just a glorified WR coach who caters to his own whims.

Tomlin should have realized after the Superbowl last Feb, that it was time for Bruce to go, Mike needs to man up and do what's right for this team. Who cares what Ben wants? He's hardly lit it up this season, he was meant to be better without all the distractions of last year!! FFS!

steelax04
10-20-2011, 10:40 AM
I blame Ben and Tomlin.

Ben wanted Bruce back and I'd say he's the primary reason he's still here.

I wanted shot of Arians after our last SB win, I was praying he would retire. I'm afraid lightening will not strike twice, we will never win the SB again until Bruce leaves.

He's just a glorified WR coach who caters to his own whims.

Tomlin should have realized after the Superbowl last Feb, that it was time for Bruce to go, Mike needs to man up and do what's right for this team. Who cares what Ben wants? He's hardly lit it up this season, he was meant to be better without all the distractions of last year!! FFS!

I still don't buy this whole "Ben kept Arians in Pittsburgh" deal. If they were so tight and loved each other as much as everyone says, how come Ben didn't get his way when he lobbied for going no-huddle against the Jags? If Ben was the primary reason Bruce is still with the Steelers, does turning Ben down for no huddle put his job in jeopardy?

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-21-2011, 12:59 AM
I still don't buy this whole "Ben kept Arians in Pittsburgh" deal. If they were so tight and loved each other as much as everyone says, how come Ben didn't get his way when he lobbied for going no-huddle against the Jags? If Ben was the primary reason Bruce is still with the Steelers, does turning Ben down for no huddle put his job in jeopardy?

Yeah, I don't know about this Ben-Arians love affair that everyone always seems to perceive.

I look back to that incident in Denver back in (2009?), when Airhead would not let Ben run the no-huddle (even though we spent the first 30 minutes of that game SMASHING Denver's defense down with the no-huddle) in the second half, so Ben went over his head and asked Tomlin, who of course agreed, and we proceeded to put the whoop azzz on Denver.

The reason why Arihead does not want to run the no-huddle is obvious-- if it is succesful, what the heck do we ned him standing on the sideline holding a clipboard for?

Other than that, the only reason I can think of why we don;t use it more-- is that the younger WR's have not learned the playobook eenough yet to successfully run the muddle offense yet. That stands to reason-- even without the no-huddle, we have seen Emmanuel Sanders, Brown, and Wallace all run incorrect routes, on MULTIPLE OCAISIONS this year already.

Third Rail
10-21-2011, 11:09 AM

Now, now, we mustn't forget that absolutely every single problem this team has (and things that have nothing to do with the Steelers) can be tracked back to Ben.

Ben has routinely lobbied for Arians and that's why we won't fire him.

Ben does not point out the holes to Mendenhall as he hands him the ball and so that's why we frequently can't run the ball.

Ben is incapable of controlling the ball for 50 minutes of a 60-minute game, thus the defense is always on the field way too long.

Whenever a punt or kickoff returner on an opposing team runs a ball all the way back into the end zone, it's either because Ben lead a scoring drive or failed to score. And if a backup QB is playing... it's still Ben's fault because he shouldn't need a backup.

If the Steelers run a tricky reverse play where a WR throws the ball and is picked off, it's Ben's fault because the Steelers clearly have no confidence in him that he can throw.

When Goodell fines James Harrison, it's secretly to get back at Ben.

Ben is responsible for Sidney Crosby's concussion issues. Ben calls Sid constantly and talks his ear off, leading to frequent headaches and slowing his recovery.

Ben is also responsible for the financial crisis of 2008, the collapse of the steel industry in Pittsburgh, the TMI accident, Bubonic Plague and the Hundred Years War.

ricardisimo
10-21-2011, 01:56 PM
How did a thread clearly criticizing Arians become Ben-bashing in your mind? :huh:

Goldsteel86
10-21-2011, 03:32 PM
How did a thread clearly criticizing Arians become Ben-bashing in your mind? :huh:

I agree with you how did it get twisted to reflect upon Ben?????:doh:

PhantomJB93
10-21-2011, 04:44 PM
It really baffles me that Arians is still here. It seems like he does literally nothing right.

Goldsteel86
10-22-2011, 09:29 AM
It really baffles me that Arians is still here. It seems like he does literally nothing right.

Not according to Tomlin, big heart little sense, its time Tomlin steps up for the better of the team!!!!!!