PDA

View Full Version : Ben has been lobbying for No Huddle....

tony hipchest
10-19-2011, 09:27 PM
...but arians keeps telling him "no".

http://burgh.us/8y4

Ben Roethlisberger has been doing some serious campaigning these days, getting in the ear of offensive coordinator Bruce Arians with his plea to run the no-huddle offense.

“I feel we can change it up,” said Roethlisberger. “It’s a weapon for us. We just haven’t had a chance to get into it yet. I wanted to get into it last week. I love doing it. We have so many weapons we need to utilize it.”

Roethlisberger doesn’t think using it on the road is a problem and would welcome it this week against the Arizona Cardinals or at any week for that matter.

“I would like to do it every game regardless of how we are doing,” said Roethlisberger. “Traditionally we have gotten into it when we have struggled on offense. I went to (Arians) the last game at the eight minute mark after we went a couple of three and outs to try to change up the tempo and the pace. We usually go to it when things aren’t clicking on offense.”Roethlisberger said one of the advantages to using it is it puts the play calling in his hands, utilizing what he is seeing on the field.

“A lot of it is I am calling the plays so I can see the defense,” said Roethlisberger. “When a play is called from the sidelines it’s off of tendencies. which when you have a good coordinator like we do they know tendencies pretty well. I have a feel for who is playing well, who is doing good things, looks on defensive fronts, secondary. It’s a rhythm thing for me.”

@mikebires
Roethlisberger also says he wants his currect OC - Bruce Arians - to allow to use more no-huddle

@dlolleyor Dale Lolley
#Roethlisberger said he lobbied to use no-huddle Sunday against Jacksonville but was shot down.

so in summation, ben wants to randomly use what he is most comfortable with, and when its most likely to catch the opponent off guard, but arians only uses it at the most predictable times when defenses are pretty much expecting it???? :doh:

"that'll trick 'em!" :muhaha:

:banging: *&%^$# idiot....:banging:

Atlanta Dan
10-19-2011, 09:35 PM
After 1 game out of the first 6 where the offense played well for the entire game the frustration is bubbling up

Cardinals have become a trendy upset pick this weekend - lose that game with the annual dubbing by the Pats to follow and IMO the lid blows off this mess

StainlessStill
10-19-2011, 09:58 PM
I can't begin to explain how irritated I am with all of this. All these years, and I mean dating back all the way to 2007, we've heard about the offense going more no huddle and putting the playcalls in the hands of Ben in the situation. Every time we use the no huddle and when Ben is operating the offense, great things happens, yet, year after year, we're held back.:banging::banging::banging:

WickedSteel
10-19-2011, 10:14 PM
You know, with all the speed the Steelers can put on the field, they could effectively exhaust defenses by going with the no huddle. Add to the fact that Ben wants this and is most comfortable with it and it just makes me even more pissed at Arians. I guess he needs to show he is still the boss...

Fire Arians
10-19-2011, 11:39 PM
it's no surprise that arians has been holding us back for years

Steelerfreak58
10-20-2011, 12:04 AM
I just wish BA would go away.

tony hipchest
10-20-2011, 02:46 AM
“A lot of it is I am calling the plays instead of arians,” said Roethlisberger. “When a play is called from the sidelines it usually sucks.

fixed. :coffee:

it is being reported that out of 6 games, the steelers have only run 13 snaps from the "no huddle" offense.

no wonder our young receivers are struggling. instead of playing to their strength and capitalizing on their youthful talent, he is doing shit that even bill walsh or vince lombardi couldnt even figure out.

if used properly, we would have the sickest 11 personnel package in the league (what hines-holmes-wallace-mendenhall-miller shoulda been) and make all of our o-linemen look like solid draft picks.

instead the 5 big uglies up front catch hell for not being the rocks of gibraltar.

ricardisimo
10-20-2011, 06:49 AM
I'm particularly fond of the half-assed attempt at not stabbing Arians in the back, saying how good he is at spotting tendencies. Yes, of course he spots tendencies... and then does exactly the opposite of what he's supposed to do.

steelfury02
10-20-2011, 09:45 AM
You know - I knew there was a reason it was so hard to get out of bed today. I woke up in a world where BA is still our O-coordinator. It is too bad Ben doesn't have any legs to stand on when it comes to speaking out or going against the grain a little - I think if it weren't for his off the field issues, he might have done the no-huddle more often without approval just to show how good it works. I'd love for Ben to take the reigns and give this O some confidence but neh, Arians knows "tendencies" - so they have that going for them. What a d-bag. I enjoy Ben, I think Tomlin is a great coach - BUT - I think our offense doesn't improve unless they A. efficiently run the ball on 3rd and short and goal line and more importantly B. Ben goes over BA's head to Tomlin and begs him to give him more power and to have him talk with Bruce. I'd love for Ben and the offense to come out no huddle and start proving their potential but its not going to happen. Part of me almost wishes this boils over so the non sense stops. Your 2 SB winning QB is more comfortable and thinks the offense would click better, has been lobbying for it since 07 but hey I'm BA don't tell me what to do . . . love the arrogance.

steelax04
10-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Remember... Ben saved Bruce's job and kept him around for a reason........ :popcorn:

tanda10506
10-20-2011, 11:16 AM
After 1 game out of the first 6 where the offense played well for the entire game the frustration is bubbling up

Cardinals have become a trendy upset pick this weekend - lose that game with the annual dubbing by the Pats to follow and IMO the lid blows off this mess

I agree it would probably be "over" for this season if we lost to the Cards and Pats, I just don't see why so many are worried about the Cards. This team is playing well, if it wasn't for Ben missing nearly every long, possible TD pass, the Jags game would have been 31-3. We will continue to get better, this team knows that they have to have wins going into the bye. We will when these next to games, we can beat the Pats this year, there strength(passing) is no longer our biggest weakness(pass defense), and the Cards w/Kolb have been stinking it up.

JustinM
10-20-2011, 11:24 AM
no-huddle is fine and all, but only if it gets us points. Otherwise we're just keeping our own defense out there for way too long. Time of possession means a lot in sports.

ETL
10-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Ben is so throwing Ariens under the bus here. i can understand how the OC and the QB both want control. Heck, its just simple human nature. We all want control especially if it is something that we are going to get blamed for at the end. I can't fault either one of them for wanting this. But he shouldn't use the press to lobby about this. This should be fought for internally.

This would have never been said in New England where Belichick puts the clamp on loose lips. Steelers can learn a little from the Pats on this point.

Atlanta Dan
10-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Ben is so throwing Ariens under the bus here. i can understand how the OC and the QB both want control. Heck, its just simple human nature. We all want control especially if it is something that we are going to get blamed for at the end. I can't fault either one of them for wanting this. But he shouldn't use the press to lobby about this. This should be fought for internally.

This would have never been said in New England where Belichick puts the clamp on loose lips. Steelers can learn a little from the Pats on this point.

Arians has thrown players under the bus on more than one occassion when explaining why a play failed due to the execution rather than the play that was called and specifically has said why he is not a fan of the no huddle

Belichick does not let his assistants talk to the media - Tomlin does.

When you have an assistant as chatty as Arians he is going to draw some return fire -it get back to the team's inconsistency - just wait for what you will hear if the Steelers lose on Sunday

truesteelerfan
10-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Ben is a QB, so naturally I think he's going to want to throw more than we run- HOWEVER, he is out there and does see what the D is doing, knows what works that day, and what is not being productive- B.A. doesn't care what works....if he wants to throw 40 times in a 50 mile per hour wind, then dang it he'll do it because he's the OC and he can no matter what anyone else wants or thinks will work, very arrogant. So I'd rather Ben call all the plays instead of B.A. He had one good game against the Titans, but last week's 2nd half playcalling shows me it was not a new trend...

kirklandrules
10-20-2011, 12:55 PM
no-huddle is fine and all, but only if it gets us points. Otherwise we're just keeping our own defense out there for way too long. Time of possession means a lot in sports.

I'm with you ... although I'm not an Arians supporter by any means. However, the no-huddle is very good at going 3-and-out that much faster. The Steelers defense requires much more energy and movement than the standard 4-3 Tampa 2. So having very athletic guys flying works if those 11 guys aren't on the field all day long. Some might say: "So what, as long as the no huddle produces points.". But then you're asking the Steelers to get involved with a shoot-'em-out strategy and I'm not confident this team is built to be the Colts or Patriots.

So I like the no-huddle when used on occasion, but this team isn't built to play that up tempo based on the defensive scheme. Also, it's the QB's job to bitch about not getting enough action and being allowed to throw the ball all over the place.

truesteelerfan
10-20-2011, 03:05 PM
IMO our no-huddle O isn't really what a lot of people really consider a "hurry up offense", Ben still often takes the play clock down to within 5 seconds of the limit even when we go no huddle- IMO its not about hurrying up the O, or even trying to keep the D from putting in subs, its about B.A. not being able to call plays.

PhantomJB93
10-20-2011, 03:35 PM
You know, sometimes I honestly believe if we didn't have Bruce Arians we'd have 7 or 8 Super Bowl WINS (not just appearances) right now instead of 6.

stb_steeler
10-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Maybe Ben should just start calling his own plays no matter what Bruce says.......Batter up!
:club:

BengalDestroyer
10-20-2011, 06:04 PM
I knew I shouldn't have read this article, that it would somehow mention Arians' arrogance...Because now I'm pissed off, I hate that man. I think I hate him more than I hate Goodell.

Goldsteel86
10-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Arians will ride anyone's coat tail to win and look good, two weeks ago he did it with Redman and Dwyer. He has consistently done it in the past why change now, I also agree he is quick to throw anyone under the bus. I thought the the OC was supposed to be somewhat of an offensive guru, the Steelers should have picked up on BA when he was fired from the "Clowns", really think about it the "Clowns". How many QB's have the "Clowns" went through in the last five years? The message should have been on the wall, it definitely better be on the wall now, this douche does not want the team to succeed, he wants to pat his resume for his next job at the high school level, no matter what the costs.

steelfury02
10-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Eff it. I don't even care. I've expended too much energy on this O. When was the last time we've put a consistent offense out on the field for any stretch of games (and by that - I mean two games) :splat::m16:

Goldsteel86
10-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Eff it. I don't even care. I've expended too much energy on this O. When was the last time we've put a consistent offense out on the field for any stretch of games (and by that - I mean two games) :splat::m16:

Brother I feel your pain, the Steelers need to recognize, Arians had two QB's that didn't pan out in Couch and Holcomb in Cleveland, finally he has a potential superstar. He is trying to impose his will in Ben, he once again is no better than a High School football coach. Its time to see that he is in it for him, no matter what works or is effective he strays away from, it was evident in the 2nd half of last week's game. He totally changed the game plan, almost cost the Steelers the game!!!!

mikegrimey
10-22-2011, 04:55 PM
It cracks me up reading posts where people cast Arians in the light of a despotic tyrant forcing others to bend to his will whether they want to or not.

I'm not a big fan of our offense under the guy, but I haven't seen out of him suggesting that he's a football-nazi.

ricardisimo
10-23-2011, 03:22 AM
It cracks me up reading posts where people cast Arians in the light of a despotic tyrant forcing others to bend to his will whether they want to or not.

I'm not a big fan of our offense under the guy, but I haven't seen out of him suggesting that he's a football-nazi.
No, quite the opposite, actually. He seems like a little boy who has never grown up, like he's playing Madden, and it's all about the long ball, and as he's said over and over again "I'm having fun calling plays." Of course he is. I'm sure Ben and Wallace are having fun also... until the Ls start piling up.

I say maybe he should have a little less fun and take his job a little more seriously. I think Wallace and Ben have the deep ball down as well as they're ever going to get it; maybe now they can double up on run-blocking in practice instead.

btaylor179
10-23-2011, 08:50 AM
its the only time we move the ball with any consistency when we are in no huddle

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2011, 09:24 AM
No, quite the opposite, actually. He seems like a little boy who has never grown up, like he's playing Madden, and it's all about the long ball, and as he's said over and over again "I'm having fun calling plays." Of course he is. I'm sure Ben and Wallace are having fun also... until the Ls start piling up.

I say maybe he should have a little less fun and take his job a little more seriously. I think Wallace and Ben have the deep ball down as well as they're ever going to get it; maybe now they can double up on run-blocking in practice instead.

:iagree:

The performance by the offense against Jax after going up 14-0 was as discouraging as the Baltimore (and Indy, and Houston - it is a long list for 2011) games

The offense under Arians has been consistently mediocre (best performance in terms of points scored was #9 in 2007) - right now it is ranked #22 in points scored

If today's NFL is all about QBs and Roethlisberger is a top 10 QB one would expect better - hopefully this is the last season for BA - Tomlin axed several lower level assistants after 2009 and allegedly had to fight to keep Arians after Art Rooney II wanted him gone - if the ceiling for this year's team turns out to be a wild card followed by a first round loss in the playoffs (my scenario) hopefully Tomlin (or the owners) will conclude the offense needs to change

SteelMusic
10-23-2011, 10:47 AM
The most frustrating part is that WE HAVE WEAPONS. We have had numerous weapons on offense for years. To see BA misuse the talent is beyond frustrating. And it goes deeper than just game day performance. With a half way decent OC the team would be more prepared each and every week. It would not be about the occasional splash play defining a good days work for the offense.

Chadmagic
10-23-2011, 01:56 PM
BA will not go anywhere as long as we keep making the playoffs/super bowls. Coaches are the hardest people to get rid of and that kind of turnover usually only comes after some bad seasons. I think we will need a few bad seasons to get rid of BA. I just hope that the weapons we have aren't gone by the time BA is.

Steeler4life1972
10-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Mark my words...arians will be gone after this year...sorry Ben you will have to learn a new system next year!

Steeler4life1972
10-23-2011, 02:18 PM
The only reason Ben lobby's to keep Arians is so he wont have to learn a new offense plain and simple!

SmashmouthFootball
10-24-2011, 12:09 PM
If there's ever a week to bust out the no-huddle early and often, it's this week.

If you can catch Belichek off-guard, get an early lead, get the crowd roaring, and give the defense enough of a cushion for LeBeau to relase the hounds, you can give yourself a chance to score a huge win against a very tough opponent.

I don't care how bad NE's pass rush is, Belichek will be able to counter any script Arians may come up with. Put the game in Ben's hands(and mind), let him react to what he sees on the field so that we can truly take advantage of the Patriots' weaknesses. I don't want Ben forcing longballs just because he has time in the pocket. That's asking for turnovers.

Mike Tomlin has been looking at this game for weeks now, I have to believe that they have things prepared that we haven't seen before. Tomlin's intensity about this game is something I've only seen in him during playoff games. He wants the validation from being able to beat the team that has plagued this organization for the last decade. He knows Cowher got regularly roughed up by them and he has a bad taste in his mouth from that game last year where we didn't even start playing until the 2nd half when the game was out of reach.