PDA

View Full Version : Time for Worilds to step up

Fire Arians
10-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Harrison will be out another 2 weeks most likely. Timmons hasn't done a great job as an OLB and I believe the coaching staff much rather have him play inside. Now that Worilds is back in practice and James still out, here's the chance for the kid to show what he's made of.

Anyone else excited to see him (most likely) get the start?

Atlanta Dan
10-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Harrison will be out another 2 weeks most likely. Timmons hasn't done a great job as an OLB and I believe the coaching staff much rather have him play inside. Now that Worilds is back in practice and James still out, here's the chance for the kid to show what he's made of.

I am - with what Woodley and Timmons (who has been horrible) are being paid and Wallace's contract negotiations on deck, Harrison's contract may get whacked in 2012 - Steelers need to find out if Worlds is the answer at OLB

The injuries are forcing the Steelers to give younger players a shot, which needs to occur

tony hipchest
10-20-2011, 02:38 PM
me too. i just dont want them rushing him along-

jimwexell James C Wexell
Jason Worilds aggravated his strained quad while in downfield coverage at practice today. Limping but hopeful.

PhantomJB93
10-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I think Worilds can be the answer there, he didn't have a good preseason but he looked awesome last year when he got time so I still have hope.

He probably won't be another James Harrison but he has good pass-rushing ability and should provide an upgrade to the LB corps as a whole, allowing Foote to be a backup and Timmons to resume his effectiveness inside.

fuzzy159
10-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Timmons is our best player when playing inside imo.

Hopefully Worilds kicks some ass.

Fire Arians
10-20-2011, 03:45 PM
me too. i just dont want them rushing him along-

jimwexell James C Wexell
Jason Worilds aggravated his strained quad while in downfield coverage at practice today. Limping but hopeful.

ouch did that just happen today? not good, but playing hurt is part of the NFL game. Hope he's ready for game time this weekend though.

effyou515
10-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Steelers are trying to get even fast at LB.

If the Steelers went to a 4-3 defense the LBs could be OLB Timmons ILB Woodley OLB Worilds and no l'm not saying Steelers shouls switch to a 4-3.

Just saying the big man Woodley in the middle and a bunch of speed Timmons and Worilds on the outside.

l just like having the fastest players on defense on the field that you can have.

PhantomJB93
10-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Steelers are trying to get even fast at LB.

If the Steelers went to a 4-3 defense the LBs could be OLB Timmons ILB Woodley OLB Worilds and no l'm not saying Steelers shouls switch to a 4-3.

Just saying the big man Woodley in the middle and a bunch of speed Timmons and Worilds on the outside.

l just like having the fastest players on defense on the field that you can have.

If we switched to a 4-3, Woodley and Worilds would almost certainly be DEs, not LBs. Woodley at MLB would be a disaster (I mean he wouldn't be the WORST LB ever or anything but he would not be very good and the position completely wastes his talents)

ricardisimo
10-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Timmons really hasn't done squat this season inside or out. Maybe something not right in his head yet or something. I guess I'd rather he stink it up right now while we're winning the easy ones and then kick it into gear later in the season when we really need him.

tony hipchest
10-20-2011, 09:09 PM
ouch did that just happen today? not good, but playing hurt is part of the NFL game. Hope he's ready for game time this weekend though.yeah, that was pretty much a "real time" post. he said it was a leg bruise. i think hes still on the injury report but not sure.

Goldsteel86
10-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Would love to see it, I am starting to like the fact of mixing it up with the "youth movement". Younger players getting some game time and game speed experience, I truly beleive this leads to good things, it will pay dividends in the long run.

Fire Arians
10-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Would love to see it, I am starting to like the fact of mixing it up with the "youth movement". Younger players getting some game time and game speed experience, I truly beleive this leads to good things, it will pay dividends in the long run.

agree, i'm a firm believer that NOTHING can prepare you for the NFL game, other than playing it and getting a taste of how intense it is. college won't get you ready for it, and practice only so much. One of the things making this year exciting is a lot of the younger players are getting play time in. Bodes well for our future if they can respond to it well.

Goldsteel86
10-20-2011, 09:28 PM
agree, i'm a firm believer that NOTHING can prepare you for the NFL game, other than playing it and getting a taste of how intense it is. college won't get you ready for it, and practice only so much. One of the things making this year exciting is a lot of the younger players are getting play time in. Bodes well for our future if they can respond to it well.

Exactly my thoughts (which may mean nothing), let the younger get that experience against the veterans of the league, then let them take that experience and build on it throughout the season and the off-season. We certainly have talent for the future, its up to the coaching staff to utilize it in the appropriate situation. Case in point how can the "Whiz" game plan for Worilds??????

ricardisimo
10-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Exactly my thoughts (which may mean nothing), let the younger get that experience against the veterans of the league, then let them take that experience and build on it throughout the season and the off-season. We certainly have talent for the future, its up to the coaching staff to utilize it in the appropriate situation. Case in point how can the "Whiz" game plan for Worilds??????
Why would he game plan for Worilds?

Goldsteel86
10-20-2011, 09:39 PM

He wouldn't specifically, I believe that is the advantage of playing the youth, how would Kolb react to breaking the huddle and looking at Worilds, rather than looking at Timmons. Would he audible or play it business as usual, different personnel bring different variations to play calling and audibles, personnel can make a vast difference in a play selections success or failure. I used Whisenhunt as an example.

Fire Arians
10-20-2011, 10:05 PM

i would. he probably has more speed coming off the edge than harrison. doubt he has the same toughness/strength but still, that speed has to be accounted for

ricardisimo
10-20-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm just saying, we have absolutely no reason to imagine the best nor the worst from Worilds until he actually shows up. And also, you game-plan for Troy. You game-plan for Harrison. You game-plan for Ben. It just seems silly to speak about Worilds like this at this point in his career.

While we're on the topic, though, it occurred to me that game-planning for Harrison must be literally the easiest thing in the world. All you have to do is tell everyone on the left side of your o-line to feel free to gang rape him on every single play, and don't worry, because absolutely no one is going to throw a flag.

Goldsteel86
10-20-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm just saying, we have absolutely no reason to imagine the best nor the worst from Worilds until he actually shows up. And also, you game-plan for Troy. You game-plan for Harrison. You game-plan for Ben. It just seems silly to speak about Worilds like this at this point in his career.

While we're on the topic, though, it occurred to me that game-planning for Harrison must be literally the easiest thing in the world. All you have to do is tell everyone on the left side of your o-line to feel free to gang rape him on every single play, and don't worry, because absolutely no one is going to throw a flag.

My only point is you can't game plan for the unknown like Worilds. The "youth movement" is hard to plan for. If you had a healthy every-day Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton you could game plan, if you unexpecedtedly threw in a Ziggy Hood, Cam Heyward and Brett Keisel in the mix that would screw up a game plan. I agree you have to account for Troy and James, but if you game plan for the both of them you have already lost before the opening kickoff.

ricardisimo
10-21-2011, 02:47 AM
My only point is you can't game plan for the unknown like Worilds. The "youth movement" is hard to plan for. If you had a healthy every-day Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton you could game plan, if you unexpecedtedly threw in a Ziggy Hood, Cam Heyward and Brett Keisel in the mix that would screw up a game plan. I agree you have to account for Troy and James, but if you game plan for the both of them you have already lost before the opening kickoff.
I guess, but you know, they can't game-plan for me either. I'm a big unknown to them. I also completely suck at football... but they can't prepare for me!

That logic only goes so far. Worilds has to be a game changer in order for it to be worthwhile to talk about him like this.

Steeldude
10-21-2011, 11:39 AM
I think Worilds can be the answer there, he didn't have a good preseason but he looked awesome last year when he got time so I still have hope.

He probably won't be another James Harrison but he has good pass-rushing ability and should provide an upgrade to the LB corps as a whole, allowing Foote to be a backup and Timmons to resume his effectiveness inside.

worilds looked good last year from woodley's side. from harrison's side he doesn't look so good.

Third Rail
10-21-2011, 12:39 PM
The only thing Worilds needs to do...

Is take that annoying "i" out of his last name. Seriously. That has to be an illegal use of a vowel or something.

steelfury02
10-21-2011, 12:57 PM
yea - can't stand the i - just take it out and put it at the end of Ziggy Hood +i - nevermind, now we need to borrow another vowel

Goldsteel86
10-21-2011, 01:10 PM
yea - can't stand the i - just take it out and put it at the end of Ziggy Hood +i - nevermind, now we need to borrow another vowel

Are you saying give it back to Vanna White? "Can I Buy a Vowel"?????

DanRooney
10-22-2011, 02:25 PM
I hope Worilds can prove me wrong. Timmons has been a letdown at OLB. I didn't even think it was possible for a ROLB playing on the Steelers to not appear on the statsheet.

ricardisimo
10-23-2011, 02:15 AM
I hope Worilds can prove me wrong. Timmons has been a letdown at OLB. I didn't even think it was possible for a ROLB playing on the Steelers to not appear on the statsheet.
Yeah, that's a bit of a head-scratcher. WTF? The only spin one can put on that is that Woodley has been dominant in Timmons' two games as a starter, and there's no arguing with team results. :noidea:

Fire Arians
10-25-2011, 01:15 PM
worilds likely out again this sunday. can't stay healthy and just missed a golden opportunity. too early to call this 2nd rounder a bust or what?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11298/1184779-100.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

steelers33
10-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Injuries were a concern for him coming out of college and it is showing now. Not ready to call him a bust but if he can't get on the field these next 2 years that will suck..

xbroughneck
10-25-2011, 02:37 PM

I'm just excited to see Lawrence back on the inside. He's extremely less productive as an outside backer right now, and pushing Foote or Farrior back to the bench might not be a bad thing right now. Both guys have a ton of heart but I'm not sure either is explosive or quick enough at that position right now.