PDA

View Full Version : Ben - 'Marquee' QBs get the calls

Atlanta Dan
10-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Well this certainly sets up nicely with Tom Terrific coming to Pittsburgh next week

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he believes certain "marquee" quarterbacks get more penalty calls from officials than others.

In an interview with Jim Rome, Roethlisberger said the officials "know who are the marquee guys and they want to protect them ...

"I think in part because the league doesn't want certain games to be played without certain quarterbacks," Roethlisberger said. "No offense to the other Patriots, but who's gong to watch the Patriots without Tom Brady and the Saints without Drew Brees. That's the way it is. :chuckle:They want to protect those guys because they are the marquee guys of this league, and you don't want them to get hurt."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7128560/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-says-marquee-quarterback-garner-more-penalty-calls

harrison'samonster
10-20-2011, 05:07 PM
seems like a pretty stupid thing to say whether it's true or not. After the Anthony Smith game from a few years ago, why would the Steelers want to give the Patriots any bulletin board material?

Atlanta Dan
10-20-2011, 05:11 PM
seems like a pretty stupid thing to say whether it's true or not. After the Anthony Smith game from a few years ago, why would the Steelers want to give the Patriots any bulletin board material?

How can it hurt?

Steelers were respectful last season and still were stomped by New England

Steelers record against the Pats when Brady starts is 1-6 so why not let it rip:noidea:

harrison'samonster
10-20-2011, 05:13 PM
that's a good point

tanda10506
10-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Wow, can't believe our players are continually allowed to say uneccessary things to the media. Tomlin doesn't seem to have any hold on this team off the field. Ben is right but we are starting to sound like whiners. Im sure Brady will get a few extra flags in his favor next week and Ben will have to be on a backboard to get a call. Interesting, Us Steeler fans will watch the Steelers every game but would others watch if Ben was out?

Atlanta Dan
10-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Wow, can't believe our players are continually allowed to say uneccessary things to the media. Tomlin doesn't seem to have any hold on this team off the field. Ben is right but we are starting to sound like whiners. Im sure Brady will get a few extra flags in his favor next week and Ben will have to be on a backboard to get a call. Interesting, Us Steeler fans will watch the Steelers every game but would others watch if Ben was out?

Steelers had a national following when O'Donnell, Kordell and Maddox were the QBs :chuckle:

tony hipchest
10-20-2011, 05:41 PM

i think it would help to actually watch the interview before deciding what he "sounds" like.

http://www.jimrome.com/videos?uri=channels/383728/1514648

he basically said he isnt gonna change his style of play. he isnt playing for year 15 and he isnt concerned if the next game is his last.

he isnt gonna lobby for flags, call out the refs, flap his arms at them begging for flags or curse them out/show them up like other pink helmet wearing qb's we know.

thats his prerogative.

rome did note that vick and ben are marquee players in their own right.

im sure the no name scrub defenders on the patriots defense will be looking to get their shots in.

Ricco Suavez
10-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Big Whoop!! All he said is what Vick and nearly every talking head at ESPN or NFL network have been saying. He could have went further and said some rules are named for those players.

LVSteelersfan
10-20-2011, 06:27 PM
I hope that the Steelers go back to that game plan they used against the Titans. Keep Brady off the field, eat up the clock and torch that defense that is one of the worst in the league. I just hope they don't keep trying to hit the long ones all game or we will lose by 2-3 TDs.

55BaileyFan
10-20-2011, 07:14 PM
He just said what everyone is thinking.

Goldsteel86
10-20-2011, 07:51 PM
i think it would help to actually watch the interview before deciding what he "sounds" like.

he basically said he isnt gonna change his style of play. he isnt playing for year 15 and he isnt concerned if the next game is his last.

he isnt gonna lobby for flags, call out the refs, flap his arms at them begging for flags or curse them out/show them up like other pink helmet wearing qb's we know.

thats his prerogative.

im sure the no name scrub defenders on the patriots defense will be looking to get their shots in.

Hey appreciate the link, I am in the military and don't get to see things like this.

I have to agree, I thought Ben was very well composed, he said something that made alot of sense going into Rome trying to prod him to say something he would regret, Ben said "It is what it is". He never called anyone out and in my eyes he only stated facts, take a look when Brady was lost for the season, how much were the Pats viewed on T.V. with Matt Cassel and think about it, before Drew Brees how often did you see the Saints on Fox. Once again "It is what it is", I would rather have Ben CALMLY state facts rather than Rant and Rave about his obvious misfortune, kudos to Ben he is finally realizing his place as a leader of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
:tt04::tt03::tt02::tt::thumbsup:

tony hipchest
10-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Hey appreciate the link, I am in the military and don't get to see things like this.

:no problem... i usually miss the show myself and he always has good guests.

:cheers:

Fire Arians
10-20-2011, 09:16 PM
they throw the flags for brady and brees because they cry like little bitches when they get hit. face it the refs are human and more likely to throw the flag as a knee jerk reaction when people are flipping out.

look at a lot of 'veteran' wr's, when they are barely held, they jump up and down yelling for a flag, and sometimes they get it. wallace in his 1st and 2nd year wouldn't throw a fit when he would get mugged and a flag would never get called. I seen him now starting to learn the 'tricks of the trade' and start motioning to the ref when he's held and he's gotten a couple PI/holding calls in his favor.

just my observation, if ben wants more flags he needs to start playing the drama act and quit being such a tough guy :P

Goldsteel86
10-20-2011, 09:23 PM
they throw the flags for brady and brees because they cry like little bitches when they get hit. face it the refs are human and more likely to throw the flag as a knee jerk reaction when people are flipping out.

look at a lot of 'veteran' wr's, when they are barely held, they jump up and down yelling for a flag, and sometimes they get it. wallace in his 1st and 2nd year wouldn't throw a fit when he would get mugged and a flag would never get called. I seen him now starting to learn the 'tricks of the trade' and start motioning to the ref when he's held and he's gotten a couple PI/holding calls in his favor.

just my observation, if ben wants more flags he needs to start playing the drama act and quit being such a tough guy :P

I agree with the Wallace view, however Ben never hasnever been and never will be a whiner. I truly believe he is trying to take this team on his shoulders, him whining and crying will do him no justice amongst his teamates at all. I believe as he gets older and stays out of more stupid off-season decisions he will garner more respect from his teammates, the refs and the NFL front office. I believe he is only one year removed from a suspension that still sticks in alot of people's minds, if you remember "Bob Marley", I mean Ricky Williams, he couldn't get a break, in time he was once talked about and considered a formidable player again. Ben is going the right way about it, he is trying to play the hand he has been dealt, hopefully the powers to be deal him a decent hand sooner or later!

Bill Cowher's Jaw
10-21-2011, 07:44 AM
ugggh

Third Rail
10-21-2011, 09:54 AM
I think a linebacker could come at Ben with a baseball bat and he wouldn't look for a flag. Toughest QB in the NFL, no question. Other guys are "questionable" on a week when they have a bruised finger or a runny nose. Meanwhile, Ben will take the field with a broken nose, two cracked ribs, a broken foot, a steel plate in his head, one lung, 15 feet of his small intestine removed, a cosmetic arm, two torn pectorals, a missing eye, wooden teeth, one peg leg, a broken collarbone, food poisoning (suspiciously after eating dinner at a crab house in Baltimore), H1N1, internal bleeding, type 1 diabetes, newly replaced knees, Crohn's disease and fragments of shrapnel stuck in his heart.

Goldsteel86
10-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Hey Ben did the right thing, Rome tried his best to "goat" him into saying something he could or would regret. He never showed any color than that of the Black and Gold, believe it or not Ben is truly becoming a Steeler leader through and through!!!!:tt03:

stb_steeler
10-21-2011, 04:31 PM

thats his prerogative.

Amazing how some take things out of text.....kinda like the bible!.......:noidea:

Chadmagic
10-23-2011, 12:06 PM
The truth is that Ben is right. Football is a multi-billion dollar game and when that much money is on the line, not much is left to chance. I guarantee that refs are told to protect some QB's because they are pussies and can't take a hit. And to let others 'play thru' because the game is more exciting that way.

Manning is the perfect example here. He has been out all season. Zero Colts games on TV. Imagine if several 'name' qb's were out. No Manning, Brees, Brady, Roethlisburger. Ratings would tank.