PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu fined $10,000 for cellphone violation

Deserei90
10-21-2011, 03:49 PM
http://t.co/N8HVdYhi It was an expensive phone call for Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu.

The former NFL Defensive Player of the Year has been levied a $10,000 fine from the league office for using his cell phone during a game.

Players are prohibited from using a cell phone during a game.

It's unclear if Polamalu will appeal the fine or not. t was an expensive phone call for Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu.

I heard rumors about the fine happening, but I didn't think it was true nor did I thought it would be for that much.:doh: I guess we can say that, Roger Goodell Strikes Again!

mizzouristeeler
10-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Didn't he call his wife?

Deserei90
10-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Didn't he call his wife?Yeah

shaner82
10-21-2011, 04:03 PM
The rule is dumb, especially for a player that left the game due to injury, but it's nothing to do with Goodell hating the Steelers, other players have got this fine before too. Troy should have known better. In fact, the coaching staff should have known better and they should have got him a proper phone to use.

skinart82
10-21-2011, 04:07 PM
To let her know he was not hurt bad. What a joke, in about tired of all this crap. It is obvious now that the Steelers are being targeted for anything and everything!

stb_steeler
10-21-2011, 04:20 PM
years ago they fine Saints player for whipping out a cell phone during a TD celebration, but that was alittle different if you ask me.

tony hipchest
10-21-2011, 04:42 PM
In fact, the coaching staff should have known better and they should have got him a proper phone to use.

you mean like the team doctors phone?

troy didnt call his wife-

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/10/21/polamalu-the-rest-of-the-story/#.TqHXHpT1HGU.twitter

Itís was assumed the Polamalu called his wife, Theodora, to let her know how he was was doing.

That wasnít entirely the case.

It was a team doctorís idea to call Polamaluís wife on his cell phone to fill her in on Troyís status.

The team doctory had a lengthy converstation (10-15 minutes) with her before eventually handing the phone Troy for a brief amount of time.

so she basically told the doctor to put him on the phone or she'd rip the Dr.s head off and shit down his neck. im pretty sure she doesnt give a crap about the 10K (small beans).

which begs the question... how is goodell coming up with these fines?
GMhN3Uku-7Q

Troy fined for breifly using the phone privately on the sidelines, and AJ Hawk was fined the same ammt for flipping off the entire world in the middle of the field. :doh:

Atlanta Dan
10-21-2011, 04:49 PM
This crap actually confirms what an a** Goodell is with regard to the Wheel of Fortune arbitrary nature of how these fines are calculated

I suppose everyone should be grateful Troy was not suspended for 4 games

tony hipchest
10-21-2011, 04:56 PM
speaking of arbitrary...

I suppose everyone should be grateful Troy was not suspended for 4 games

cedric benson's 3 game suspension, was reduced to 1.

i guess the commish dont want the bungles to lose ANY ground to the steelers. :headshake:

California-Steel
10-21-2011, 05:40 PM
I would fight that fine and say "hey I had a concussion and don't remember making any call". Hell, he could say he did not even remember he was on the side lines. For all he knew he was in his Bat Cave calling Commissioner Gordon. He had a concussion after all.:noidea:

Steeler4life1972
10-21-2011, 06:03 PM
That is the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard of!!!! These are grown men not some kids in a classroom who if they use there phone during class they will be punished!!! Goodell needs to go now...and yes troy should appeal the fine by calling goodell during the next game!!!!!!!!!!!

Fire Arians
10-21-2011, 06:34 PM
that's ****in a bullshit move by adolf goodell, wasn't he talking to his doctor? according to the story i heard he was talking to a team physician. following a concussion or serious injury, shouldn't this be allowed?

they need to make special cases if the phones are being used for medical reasons.

fer522
10-21-2011, 07:01 PM
NFL dictator Roger Goodel needs to resign
before nato planes bomb his ass :chuckle:

SH-Rock
10-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Bad call by NFL on Troy Polamalu fine
By Jamison Hensley

The NFL wasn't technically in the wrong for fining Troy Polamalu. He violated league policy for using a cell phone on the sideline.

Where the league made the bad call was on the amount. Polamalu was fined $10,000 for calling his wife to let her know that he was fine after suffering a concussion.

Let's put this in perspective. Polamalu was fined the same amount as Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk, who flashed the middle finger at his team's bench. Polamalu was fined more than Texans defensive end Antonio Smith, who has to pay $7,500 for pulling off the helmet of Ravens guard Andre Gurode. And Polamalu was fined more than Lions tight end Brandon Pettigrew, who has to pay $7,500 for a chop block.

Some could argue that Polamalu shouldn't be fined. But there's no reasoning behind fining Polamalu more than Smith and Pettigrew.

Polamalu was calling his wife, who was worried about his safety. Smith and Pettigrew were in violation of player safety.

Polamalu is going to play Sunday after he passed concussion tests. But it's clear the NFL discipline police fanned on this one.

GMU Steeler
10-21-2011, 11:55 PM
It's stupid. Yeah he violated a rule but it seems he was either talking to his wife to let her know he was okay or talking to the team doctor describing his symptoms.

Steel_Bus_24
10-22-2011, 12:00 AM
NFL dictator Roger Goodel needs to resign
before nato planes bomb his ass :chuckle:

yeah lets call in some drones on that SOB

blow up all his cars/house

Im sure Goodell is already preparing his best team of ninjas in case a Steeler even looks at Brady the wrong way

tony hipchest
10-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Im sure Goodell is already preparing his best team of ninjas in case a Steeler even looks at Brady the wrong way

B474eNbXAgY&feature=fvst

Atlanta Dan
10-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Troy gets whacked with a $10,000 fine when the team doc hands him a cellphone so Troy can tell his wife he is OK

OTOH when 2 head coaches turn the post-game handshake into something out of pro wrestling we get this

The NFL seems uninterested in dispelling the perception that there are two sets of rules -- one for the players and one for everyone else associated with the league. The latest instance came after Jim Harbaugh and Jim Schwartz reenacted the "Wait, what did he just do to me?!" scene that has played out at every pro wrestling match ever staged. ....

It's one thing to be strict -- we get that. There's a plan, and even if most people don't agree with it, they know the rules going in. But when the judge, jury and executioner is a paranoid schizophrenic you're going to have issues like this crop up several times a season.:chuckle:

(By the way, Yahoo.com's Doug Farrar notes that "it could certainly be argued that both [Schwartz and Harbaugh] stepped on the wrong side of this one," and then points to the NFL's fine schedule which plainly states that "Sportsmanship: Excessive Profanity; other Unsportsmanlike Conduct (e.g., toward opponent(s), game personnel, fans, etc.): $10,000 / $20,000.")

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/32846428

The NFL must have great product to market - exhibit #1 on that point is that, so far, Goodell's actions have not hurt the popularity of the games

Goldsteel86
10-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Rules are rules I get that, however he was nowhere near the field of play. He wasn't involved in any play. Its not like he pulled the phone from his pants, goal post or his hair, or anything like that, he simply utilized a doctor's phone which was already in use. Really Goodell, its time the Rooney's reach into the pocket pay the fine for him and throw the B.S. flag!!!!!

steeltheone
10-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Rules are made for a reason....Do you want cell phones all over the sidelines from players calling home? NO. It's a good rule!

Goldsteel86
10-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Rules are made for a reason....Do you want cell phones all over the sidelines from players calling home? NO. It's a good rule!

Not saying cell phones all over the sidelines, but, this one came from a doctor, not another player or coach. What does the NFL need Security patting every player, coach, doctor, etc.... down before they come onto the field???? I mean Troy has a wife, he has children, they all want to know his status when he comes out of the game for a condition like this, not hear it from someone like Dierdorf, Simms, Nantz, etc.....

SunshineMan21
10-22-2011, 01:40 PM

Fuhrer Goodell? Is that you?

Hayeksheroes
10-22-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm outraged at the Polamalu's fine. This is a violation of his civil rights. He is being penalized for making a phone call?

I say **** you 1% billionaire owners. I'm tired of paying for your stadiums, your bail outs. and other nonsense.

It is time we take our country back and our football.

DoctorCAD
10-22-2011, 01:59 PM
He broke the rules and has to pay the fine...Whats wrong with that?

Oh, and I looked very closely at my copy of The Constitution and didn't see any mention of being granted the right to make a phone call while in the employ of another. Can you point that section out to me, please???

Hayeksheroes
10-22-2011, 05:42 PM
He broke the rules and has to pay the fine...Whats wrong with that?

Oh, and I looked very closely at my copy of The Constitution and didn't see any mention of being granted the right to make a phone call while in the employ of another. Can you point that section out to me, please???

Polamalu was not on the field. He was not working. He was out of the game. He only got in trouble because some wise cracker decided to point his camera at him.

theplatypus
10-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Polamalu was not on the field. He was not working. He was out of the game. He only got in trouble because some wise cracker decided to point his camera at him.

LMAO

EyEEP2mKogg

Hayeksheroes
10-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Don't you think $10,000 is excessive? That's a lot of money for most people. Why not reprimand him? Oh, but we have to make an example out of him.

This is more Roger Goodell bs. The commissioner is way out of his league.

RatbirdExtreme
10-22-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm outraged at the Polamalu's fine. This is a violation of his civil rights. He is being penalized for making a phone call?

I say **** you 1% billionaire owners. I'm tired of paying for your stadiums, your bail outs. and other nonsense.

It is time we take our country back and our football.

Ummmmmm.... no. Think about it and the rule is there for a very specific reason. I don't and you don't care if whoever is calling his family from the sidelines. But I (and you SHOULD) care if someone is on the sidelines discussing how he is going to throw the game with the mob or whoever. Even worse, Player X 's family is being threatened if Player X doesnt throw the game and they are on the phone with player X after every series. Curious that coaches are allowed cell phones, since they could influence games in a much more nefarious manner, but whatever.

Roger is an idiot, and I do happen to agree with the vast majority of folks here that the fine is excessive. But the rule is a good one, and makes perfect sense if you look at it objectively. The league doesnt even want the remote possibility of a point shaving/throwing games/gambling controversy, and the rule makes perfect sense from that perspective.

steelfury02
10-24-2011, 11:44 AM
says the Rat fan :wink02: