PDA

View Full Version : No love for Lake?

DanRooney
10-22-2011, 03:21 PM
After the week 1 debacle with McFadden, it looks like our cornerback play has been the brightest spot in our defense. People have been praising Ike for shutting down every receiver he's been against, Gay for his complete turnaround and Lewis not looking lost like he was several times last season.

But where's the love for Lake? Have you noticed that those 10-15 yard cushions that drives us crazy and LeBeau is famous for are used significantly less? In previous season, there were times where you couldn't see any of our corners in the frame. Now it seems like a lot of our defensive snaps have us jamming our man or being only 3-5 yards off. I don't know if this is Lake's adjustment but I like it.

tony hipchest
10-22-2011, 04:06 PM
carnell lake and rod woodson are both making the most out of their 1st coaching gigs. tomorrow we face, deshea townsend, also 1st time coach.

im sure all 3 will follow darren perrys footsteps and be successful desciples of lebeau.

Rick5895
10-22-2011, 05:33 PM
After the week 1 debacle with McFadden, it looks like our cornerback play has been the brightest spot in our defense. People have been praising Ike for shutting down every receiver he's been against, Gay for his complete turnaround and Lewis not looking lost like he was several times last season.

But where's the love for Lake? Have you noticed that those 10-15 yard cushions that drives us crazy and LeBeau is famous for are used significantly less? In previous season, there were times where you couldn't see any of our corners in the frame. Now it seems like a lot of our defensive snaps have us jamming our man or being only 3-5 yards off. I don't know if this is Lake's adjustment but I like it.

Absolutely, I think Lake has done a great job, by watching these guys play it looks like Carnell has focused a bit more on fundamentals.

SH-Rock
10-22-2011, 06:55 PM
We'll see how much our secondary has improved when we face the Pats.

#1LambertFan
10-22-2011, 09:32 PM
If we can continue to improve on our pass-rush, and we stay solid in the secondary Tom Brady will be in for a long day in Pittsburgh.

#1LambertFan
10-22-2011, 09:33 PM
I am really enjoying the pressure our D-line is putting on opposing quarterbacks with fresh blood on the field.

Fire Arians
10-22-2011, 10:43 PM

they will fare better than last time, though that's easy to say since you can't do much worse than last time. however i think lewis is a significant upgrade over mcfadden and that should help a lot.

i like the dime formation they've been using which allows troy to roam on the inside. the one downside is i don't think mundy is ready for prime time yet, but there's only one way to get there, get playing time.

Rick5895
10-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Teams that have success against Brady bring different pressures (the golden boy has to be hit and ofrced out of the ocket), continually change defensive formations. It has less to do with secondary play. The Clowns confused the hell out of him last season with Rob Ryans "exotic" pressure, NOT because of the secondary.
If we don't bring pressure, force him out of the pocket and hit the baby we will have difficulty.

BKAnthem
10-24-2011, 12:37 PM
lake has done a Phenomenal Job having played in Lebeau's system and having played CB and S at a high level gives him all the tools to be a superior secondary coach...i hated Horton

SmashmouthFootball
10-24-2011, 12:45 PM
The game of football is always changing, and the key is keeping up with and adpating to those changes. With physicality in terms of hitting recievers being lessened by new saffety rules and the changes a few years ago to limit contact beyond 5 yards from the line of scrimmage, teams (particularly the pats and colts and saints) have started abusing the areas that have opened up.

It's always important to take away the big play, which is why you have to now trust guys like Ike and Troy, our main defenses against the big play. Then you let everyone else have the freedom to be physical at the line and to make an effort to stamp out freebie short passes.

It's generally good to make the other team methodically move down the field because it gives them more opportunities to screw up, but Brady is so good that it's not good enough anymore to just wait for him to screw up. You have to make him screw up, take it upon yourself to make a play.