PDA

View Full Version : Steelers place Aaron Smith on IR

MACH1
10-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Steelers placed DE Aaron Smith (foot) on injured reserve, ending his season.
This could be it for the 35-year-old Smith, who was limited to nine games between the 2009 and 2010 seasons thanks to shoulder and triceps injuries. The Steelers have a readymade replacement at left end in former first-round pick Ziggy Hood

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/642/aaron-smith

fer522
10-22-2011, 02:38 PM
you have got to be fu@@@%g kidding me:banging::banging:

Atlanta Dan
10-22-2011, 02:41 PM
That was $5 million well spent:banging:

Smith had a great career through 2008 but WTF the front office was thinking in bringing him back with no cut on the last year of his contract escapes me - Hood should have been starting over him before the injury

Sorry to see it end this way for him but he certainly will not be giving any of the $$ back for this year

jjpro11
10-22-2011, 02:51 PM
great career for Smith.. he'll go down as one of the best 3-4 linemen in NFL history.. but my God did the front office **** up with him these past couple seasons. we lost a good LB prospect and millions of dollars.

tony hipchest
10-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Sorry to see it end this way for him but he certainly will not be giving any of the $$ back for this yeari believe he did when he restructured his deal upon max starks arrival.

im guessing we saved about $2.5 mil. i also think smith still coulda played but the team let him know he wasnt in the plans and we need a roster spot. just a hunch.

tony hipchest
10-22-2011, 03:03 PM
great career for Smith.. he'll go down as one of the best 3-4 linemen in NFL history.. but my God did the front office **** up with him these past couple seasons. we lost a good LB prospect and millions of dollars.

we didnt lose a good lb draft prospect. we wasted a good pick on a scrub. if we want him we can go pick him up at any time like a penny off of the street.

steelers33
10-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Yeah he restructured to make room for Starks so I guess it isn't all the bad. I'm almost positive this will be the end of his career. Thank you Aaron for your years of awesome service and bringing us two super bowls!

DanRooney
10-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Hats off to one of the best 3-4 ends of the past decade. In his prime, he was really everything you asked for in a DE. I wish him and his family well and hope to see him one day coaching.

tony hipchest
10-22-2011, 03:43 PM
we essentially have 1st rights of refusal if smith decides to give it one last go at minimum wage.

i doubt it though.

mikegrimey
10-22-2011, 03:44 PM
we didnt lose a good lb draft prospect. we wasted a good pick on a scrub. if we want him we can go pick him up at any time like a penny off of the street.

Yea there isn't really a Thad Gibson sweepstakes, he's not in high demand by NFL teams obviously, but I guess people will point to anything, however stupid, to buttress their point.

Rick5895
10-22-2011, 04:29 PM
I will miss Aaron, very few played the game with his heart and desire.

DanRooney
10-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Thaddeus was hardly a wasted pick. A lot of upside for the 4th round. The Steelers had every intent on bringing him back and even tried to in the offseason. If any of you are college buffs like me, you will know the real scrubs were overachievers like Frank fatass Summers, Kraig Urbik, and A.Q. Shipley. I know we have one Urbik fan in here but the guy was getting handled by guys like Travis Kirshke in practice.

pete74
10-22-2011, 07:26 PM
urbik is starting for the bills and looks as good as anyone on our line

StainlessStill
10-22-2011, 07:29 PM
I say we hold out a roster spot for him JUST INCASE we make a post-season run. This should have been done 3 years ago. Loved #91, but his time was long gone. Great career, a very valuable Steeler!

Fire Arians
10-22-2011, 08:07 PM
nice to know we didn't cut him so we spent 6 million this year for nothing

Brett Cottrell
10-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Whew...Ziggy needs to be on the field. We could use Smith's depth, but this seems to be the only way to get the coaches to realize he wasn't cutting it.

tony hipchest
10-22-2011, 10:07 PM
nice to know we didn't cut him so we spent 6 million this year for nothing

he gave a portion of his guaranteed 2011 salary back to the rooneys the day we resigned max starks.

im certain what happened today was more than a week in the works.

jjpro11
10-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Yea there isn't really a Thad Gibson sweepstakes, he's not in high demand by NFL teams obviously, but I guess people will point to anything, however stupid, to buttress their point.

he was a decent prospect at a position deep with depth when we cut him. a 4th round pick, it wasn't out of the question he would eventually come around for us at some point and turn out well. James Harrison wasn't exactly impressive when he first came into the league. we basically traded a 4th round pick for the opportunity to have Smith for the playoffs.. in the end it was basically a wash.. Gibson hasn't panned out anywhere and Smith never came back for the playoffs.

tony hipchest
10-23-2011, 12:04 AM
i hear thad gibson is tearing it up in NFL Europe. :chuckle:

i hate the james harrisson comparisson. james is a once in a generation phenom/analomy being compared to thousands of nfl has beens/never was'

thads best bet to get back into the nfl is to go sack groceries where kurt warner was a stock boy and hope that gets him some special consideration.

anyways, speaking of him in this thread really does a TRUE nfl great an injustice. im sure aaron will still be around continuing to be a good professional and mentor to mcclendon, heyward, and hood.

Buddha Bus
10-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Thanks for your exemplary service to the Steelers, Aaron. You will be missed and remembered, but it is Ziggy time! :tt03:

ricardisimo
10-23-2011, 01:53 AM
Thanks for your exemplary service to the Steelers, Aaron. You will be missed and remembered, but it is Ziggy time! :tt03:
G8sdsW93ThQ

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2011, 07:00 AM
he gave a portion of his guaranteed 2011 salary back to the rooneys the day we resigned max starks.

im certain what happened today was more than a week in the works.

Might be - capology is impossible for me to figure out

However, my understanding was that part of what was Smith's salary for 2011 was converted to a "bonus" 2 weeks ago, which then was amortized over 2011 and 2012 because Smith signed a "new" contract to play through 2012. Calling part of Smith's 2011 salary a bonus allowed 1/2 of it to be deferred to 2012 for cap purposes, which freed up the cap money to sign Starks (my head hurts thinking about this:chuckle:)

Smith was currently in the final year of his contract that pays him a base salary of $4.5 million. The Steelers converted $1.75 million of that base into a signing bonus to lower his 2011 cap hit by $875K and added on another year to the contract. The extension will likely create $875K in dead money for the Steelers in 2012.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/10/steelers-extend-restructure-aaron-smith-contract-to-free-up-cap-room/

If that is the case, A. Smith did not give back any $$ and now the Steelers have $875K in dead money to deal with for the 2012 cap that might have helped sign someone (such as Wallace) in 2012

I want to make clear A. Smith was probably the greatest Steelers D lineman since the late 1970s and apparently is a good guy as well - but from a business standpoint bringing him back for 2011 without taking a major salary haircut before he reported to camp has turned out badly

kirklandrules
10-23-2011, 07:03 AM
G8sdsW93ThQ

I'm going to miss seeing Smith stand up from a pile of O-linemen that he just wiped out with a looked that simply said "OWNED". The heart and mind are still there, but the body just won't follow. Oh, and when Tomlin talks about "The Standard", it was guys like Smith that set that standard.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/906059-pittsburgh-steelers-the-aaron-smith-era-comes-to-an-end

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2011, 07:08 AM
G8sdsW93ThQ

So are the other Steelers bit**ing about Hood's fans and asking if they should crush his hands?

mikegrimey
10-23-2011, 07:29 AM
he was a decent prospect at a position deep with depth when we cut him. a 4th round pick, it wasn't out of the question he would eventually come around for us at some point and turn out well. James Harrison wasn't exactly impressive when he first came into the league. we basically traded a 4th round pick for the opportunity to have Smith for the playoffs.. in the end it was basically a wash.. Gibson hasn't panned out anywhere and Smith never came back for the playoffs.

Yea I wasn't saying it was a great idea to sacrifice a draft pick to keep Smith on the roster last year, especially when we found out he wasn't even close to ready for the SB, but people act like Gibson was the terminator or something. Or pretend that we couldn't pick the guy up and bring him in right now if we really wanted him.

Brett Cottrell
10-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Stop! Ziggy time!

tony hipchest
10-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Might be - capology is impossible for me to figure out

However, my understanding was that part of what was Smith's salary for 2011 was converted to a "bonus" 2 weeks ago, which then was amortized over 2011 and 2012 because Smith signed a "new" contract to play through 2012. Calling part of Smith's 2011 salary a bonus allowed 1/2 of it to be deferred to 2012 for cap purposes, which freed up the cap money to sign Starks (my head hurts thinking about this:chuckle:)

Smith was currently in the final year of his contract that pays him a base salary of $4.5 million. The Steelers converted $1.75 million of that base into a signing bonus to lower his 2011 cap hit by $875K and added on another year to the contract. The extension will likely create $875K in dead money for the Steelers in 2012.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/10/steelers-extend-restructure-aaron-smith-contract-to-free-up-cap-room/

If that is the case, A. Smith did not give back any $$ and now the Steelers have $875K in dead money to deal with for the 2012 cap that might have helped sign someone (such as Wallace) in 2012

I want to make clear A. Smith was probably the greatest Steelers D lineman since the late 1970s and apparently is a good guy as well - but from a business standpoint bringing him back for 2011 without taking a major salary haircut before he reported to camp has turned out badlyi like the old days of 5-10 years ago when solid cap figures would be provided directly from the team to the local media, but now theyre like guarded trade secrets (which is understandable because massaging the cap has become a talent that can give a team a distinctive edge).

the breakdown above seems pretty much spot on, give or take 100k here or there.

this is a great point of debate. of course the best solution woulda been to cut ties with smith at the beginning of the season. we woulda saved several million yet still been on the hook for his "dead money" for this year and 2012.

of course there will be no "dead money" next year if we chose to save another roster spot for him and bring him back for his final season at vet min. :wink02:

he basically gave the team back enough money to sign starks this year and the option of another year of his "services" next year for free.

i dont think it was all out of the graciousness of his own heart. i got a feeling the steelers held a gun to his head and offered him the opportunity to try and go out on his own terms with dignity or have us dump him (or IR in week 3) and it be all for the same.

if he lands softly he will probably have the chance to earn an additional million from the patriots or cardinals next season for 15-20 plays a game.

tony hipchest
10-23-2011, 11:49 AM
heres some breaking news that sheds light on the situation-

EdBouchette
#steelers put Aaron Smith on IR with NECK injury and nothing to do with foot. New injury

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2011, 12:49 PM
heres some breaking news that sheds light on the situation-

EdBouchette
#steelers put Aaron Smith on IR with NECK injury and nothing to do with foot. New injury

Thanks for the update but WTF? IIf he was not practicing since week 4 I wonder if he hurt his neck in the Houston game and the Steelers did not report it or has been messed up most of the season, which might have been a factor in his substandard play?

If there is anything as sketchy as cap numbers in the NFL it is injury reports (e.g. - when Ward got concussed in last year's New England game and supposedly had a "neck" injury, which Collinsworth said was a dodge to potentially get him back in the game)

tony hipchest
10-23-2011, 01:17 PM
If there is anything as sketchy as cap numbers in the NFL it is injury reports (e.g. - when Ward got concussed in last year's New England game and supposedly had a "neck" injury, which Collinsworth said was a dodge to potentially get him back in the game)

ross tucker had a funny one line quip in regards to polamalu's "concussion-like symptoms" which in the olden days meant a concussion.

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Not certain Ed.B. of the P-G is totally buying the "neck" injury for Smith:chuckle:

The Steelers inactives for today: NT Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke, LB James Harrison and Jason Worilds, G Doug Legursky, RB Jonathan Dwyer, QB Dennis Dixon.

Some thoughts on that:...

Hampton has a "shoulder" injury, but could it be . . . could it be . . . his neck? No-no. That can't happen.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

SunshineMan21
10-23-2011, 06:41 PM
A. Smith one of the few guys from the current era who deserve to be considered an all-time great. One of the best 3-4 ends to play the game, and very rarely got any credit outside of Pittsburgh.

Sad that his career is effectively over, and the FO obviously messed up by bringing him back, but I think all in all he's going out gracefully.

Sean95m
10-23-2011, 11:30 PM
People complaining about the Rooneys dishing out $$ for a new contract for Smith need to open there eyes and read between the lines. Smith has a son with leukemia and treatment is not cheap. The guy has ALWAYS gave it all on the field, it isnt like he ever quit on the team, his body failed him. Yes the injuries caught up, but he never got the big contract, so the Rooneys gave it to him and in a very unselfish manner he gave half of it back to sign Starks. To me that's the true sign of an ultimate team player and Aaron Smith as a person. I'm glad the Rooneys seen to it that he and his family is taken care of for life after football.

DanRooney
10-24-2011, 02:05 AM
People complaining about the Rooneys dishing out $$ for a new contract for Smith need to open there eyes and read between the lines. Smith has a son with leukemia and treatment is not cheap. The guy has ALWAYS gave it all on the field, it isnt like he ever quit on the team, his body failed him. Yes the injuries caught up, but he never got the big contract, so the Rooneys gave it to him and in a very unselfish manner he gave half of it back to sign Starks. To me that's the true sign of an ultimate team player and Aaron Smith as a person. I'm glad the Rooneys seen to it that he and his family is taken care of for life after football.

Absolutely. I'm sure the team is 100 percent willing to fork over some of the expenses as well. Such a sad story concerning his son for such a great player who has always been a class act.

Smith is one of my favorite Steelers. I hope he finds his way back coaching us down the road.

steeltheone
10-24-2011, 05:41 AM

That is a great story, really is. But give him a check behind the scenes, not one that counts against the cap. It hurts the whole team, giving a guy 6.1 mill a year for no production.

steelfury02
10-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Its sooooo haaaaaaard to saaaaaay gooooodbyeeeeee to yesterdaaaaaaayeeeee

SmashmouthFootball
10-24-2011, 11:22 AM
I can't blame the Steelers for trying to hold onto Smith because of just how amazing he has been for us for so long. It was worth the risk on the chance that he did come back and have a good year, and at the very least he's an excellent mentor for the young kids, Cam and Ziggy especially.

BKAnthem
10-24-2011, 11:28 AM
i'm hoping he comes back as a DLine asst.

steelfury02
10-24-2011, 12:27 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/10/24/2510414/better-loved-ye-cannot-be-aaron-smith-and-the-pittsburgh-steelers

This season officially dedicated to Smith with an unofficial goodbye to him from Clark

SmashmouthFootball
10-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Couldn't think of a better rallying point than what we have now. Let's bring home #7 for Smitty.

We have all of the ingredients. We have the talent, the experience, the purpose, the motivation...

Now all we need is a little luck and some timely plays.

mizzouristeeler
10-24-2011, 02:51 PM
One of the best steelers. Gonna miss him

BKAnthem
10-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Dude came into the league as a What , 280lb DE? and built himself into a Monster

ricardisimo
10-24-2011, 09:58 PM
He does still get a ring, even on IR, correct?

tony hipchest
10-25-2011, 12:59 AM
He does still get a ring, even on IR, correct?absolutely.

even in this day of cutthroat nfl cap influenced business, i still se why aaron smith was kept this long on the roster.

after all, the steelers are the last well run family franchise in the league. the "ma and pa shop" philosophy must be a hard one to shake.

i might even go as far to say that aaron smiths value has meant as much off the field as it was on it in these last 2 seasons (time will tell).

Steelers' Aaron Smith one of the greats, on field and in life

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11298/1184658-87-0.stm?cmpid=cook.xml#ixzz1blpWuS9k

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11298/1184658-87-0.stm?cmpid=cook.xml