PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' new man in middle makes his first start

fer522
10-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Saturday, October 22, 2011
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
With a defensive unit chock full of thirty-something veterans, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin will turn to one of his youngest players Sunday to give his team a lift. Steve McLendon, a second-year pro from Troy University, will make his first NFL start at nose tackle against the Arizona Cardinals.

McLendon, 25, started the season as the third-string nose tackle but has moved up the depth chart because starter Casey Hampton and top backup Chris Hoke are injured. Hampton will miss his third consecutive game with a shoulder injury. Hoke, injured the victory last week against Jacksonville, did not practice all week and is listed as doubtful.

McLendon played extensively for the first time in his career against the Jaguars after Hoke left the game in the first half. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said McLendon played well and that he has no qualms about starting him.

"Steve has great strength," LeBeau said. "He has improved almost daily from the day he came here. [Defensive line coach John] Mitchell has done a great job with him. You can never have enough quality players.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11295/1184103-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1bXczxIeg

steelfury02
10-23-2011, 08:16 PM
I'd say he had a damn solid game too

BKAnthem
10-24-2011, 03:25 PM
good, if he continues to improve we don't have to draft a Dlineman in round 1 of next years draft...and work on getting a RG and LT for the now and future

steeltheone
10-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Hampton has been overrated and paid for years now...This only proves it more!

ggoldman
10-24-2011, 07:50 PM
good, if he continues to improve we don't have to draft a Dlineman in round 1 of next years draft...and work on getting a RG and LT for the now and future

I thought Gilbert was the LT of the future

BKAnthem
10-24-2011, 08:06 PM
I thought Gilbert was the LT of the future

I like him better on the right...but it's not my call

Fire Arians
10-24-2011, 09:08 PM
I like him better on the right...but it's not my call

he might start at LT next year depending on what we do with max starks. in any case it's better for a rookie to get NFL experience at RT before becoming a left tackle

OX1947
10-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Hampton has been overrated and paid for years now...This only proves it more!

Another worthless post. You wanna go for the trifecta and say that Troy Polamalu is overrated?