PDA

View Full Version : Wallace

truesteelerfan
10-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Sorry mods, probably not worthy of an entire thread....but who on our roster is more important to resign this offseason than Wallace? He has the potential to be one of the best WR in the league over the length of his next contract, and all we have to do is give him a fair offer (I hope)...What a weapon he is when our running game is stalled!

:tt04:

TRH
10-23-2011, 06:13 PM
him and his agent just have to be licking their chops right now. They're going to get a huuuuuuuuuge contract when its time.

Fire Arians
10-23-2011, 06:16 PM
he's a top 5 reciever and should be paid as such. hopefully we can afford the price tag

SH-Rock
10-23-2011, 06:17 PM
he's a top 5 reciever and should be paid as such. hopefully we can afford the price tag

Aaron Smith and others are prob gone after this year.

Sharkissle29
10-23-2011, 06:22 PM
I wonder if we can afford Mendenhall and Wallace.

It is not like Mendy is having a stellar year, maybe he won't be too expensive.

btaylor179
10-23-2011, 06:24 PM
mendy can hit the bricks.....wallace is a must resign.....i. redmon is capable rb

GMU Steeler
10-23-2011, 06:25 PM
I gotta think the first priority will be Wallace. He's a special talent and while Mendy has been no bust. You have to try to resign Wallace. He's that special. I'd hate to see him go.

SunshineMan21
10-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Wallace is exponentially more valuable than Mendenhall.

Wallabeast17
10-23-2011, 06:30 PM
PAY THE MAN!

steelfury02
10-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Smith gone
McFadden and his 2.5 million can go too along with probably one other guy (Farrior?)

frunko1
10-23-2011, 07:37 PM
I see ward, smith, and mendy being gone after this season. I wonder how much cap room that will clear?

Also how many key players will need a new contract this offseason, and how much will the cap grow?

On Wallace though, love what he has done, but am I the only one that think he catches to many short passes with his body instead of his hands? If he would learn to reach out for the ball he could be an all time great.

ETL
10-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Since Troy P was signed at the beginning of the season, we can place the franchise tag on Wallace to keep him until a long term contract is negotiated.

I don't like paying our WRs big money and was against paying Santonio Holmes when he was due (it became moot when we traded him)

But Wallace is different. He's one of the most impactful Steeler WR that I have ever seen. He makes everyone better because he opens up the field for Sanders and Brown to do their stuff underneath. And he's not a head case like Burress or Holmes.

Wallace deserves the money that no other Steeler WR had previously deserved.

We should be able to clear contracts from A. Smith and Farrior and possibly R. Clark, Keisel, Ward and Mendenhall.

StainlessStill
10-23-2011, 08:56 PM
A TON of dead weight will be nixed next season. The youth movement has arrived and Wallace will be apart of it. We lost our #1 wideout once in Holmes. It won't happen again, Wallace is here to stay, he'll be #1 priority by far.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
10-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Wallace will not leave only if we keep winning and helping him become the best receiver ever.... even tho he will be alot to afford but i think he will take a little discount... just think about if he goes for top doller look where he might go Redskins? Raiders? cmon thats not going to help him to be Great

GMU Steeler
10-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Wallace will not leave only if we keep winning and helping him become the best reciever ever.... even tho he will be alot to afford but i think he will take a little discount... just think about if he goes for top doller look where he might go Redskins? Raiders? cmon thats not going to help him to be Best

I think he will take a discount too. He doesn't seem to be the type that only cares about payday because if he did, I think he would have held out or talked about doing it. The other thing is unlike past Steeler departed FA, Mike doesn't have a Super Bowl ring to his resume. He has to know that he's got a much better chance of getting that here than one of those teams like the Skins or Raiders that pays top dollar for big names but doesn't do much on the field.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
10-23-2011, 09:43 PM
I think he will take a discount too. He doesn't seem to be the type that only cares about payday because if he did, I think he would have held out or talked about doing it. The other thing is unlike past Steeler departed FA, Mike doesn't have a Super Bowl ring to his resume. He has to know that he's got a much better chance of getting that here than one of those teams like the Skins or Raiders that pays top dollar for big names but doesn't do much on the field.

Yeah cause if he leaves that would be stupid cause this Roethlisberger to Wallace combo is getting scary THEY could go down as the best QB,WR combo if this continues :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2011, 09:48 PM
I see ward, smith, and mendy being gone after this season..

Ed.B. of the P-G may agree with you about Mendenhall

Rashard Mendenhall was the fifth-best back on the field behind Isaac Redman, Mewelde Moore and the two from Arizona. He had 32 yards on 13 carries, one of the big negatives from the game. It's as if last week never happened when he ran for 146 yards againt Jacksonville.

Here are Mendy's totals the other three games around his 146: 37 on 18 carries, 25 on 9 carries, 32 on 13 carries. That's not a big-time back. Either the offensive line only blocks when Redman or Moore are in there or Mendy isn't the back for this offense.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

GMU Steeler
10-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Yeah cause if he leaves that would be stupid cause this Roethlisberger to Wallace combo is getting scary THEY could go down as the best QB,WR combo if this continues :tt02:

Here's a downright awesome stat that shows how deadly they are together. They're second behind only Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne with the most passes over 40 yards from a QB to a receiver among actie QBs and WRs tandems. Considering that Reggie and Peyton have been together since 2001 and Mike's at the midway point of his third year, that is awesome. If we resign him. I'm adding a Walalce jersey to the collection. I think we got a shot at resigning the guy honest. Mike's not one of these me first types in my observation.

Third Rail
10-23-2011, 10:32 PM
They need to sign Wallace to a crazy deal in the off-season. He HAS to be the top priority right now. I know some people are of the opinion that we don't re-sign receivers, but this is one deal they HAVE to get done.

MDSteel15
10-24-2011, 09:26 AM
We should be able to clear contracts from A. Smith and Farrior and possibly R. Clark, Keisel, Ward and Mendenhall.

Whoa whoa whoa!!! Smith - yes... Farrior - yes... Clark - maybe... Keisel - NO! Still doing his job... Ward - may take a cut... Mendenhall - SeeYa!!! But not Keisel and I think Ward would stay at a reduced rate because this is his home...

effyou515
10-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Got to keep Wallace period

Mendy is gone, the Redman and Dywer combo can replace Mendy.:flap:

SmashmouthFootball
10-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Wallace has that key balance of swag/skill/speed/sense that helps win games. Great weapon for Ben. PAY THE MAN

Steelerfreak58
10-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Smith, Farrior, McFadden gone. Room opening up at the top.

Fire Arians
10-24-2011, 12:12 PM
he's only 2-3 games away from breaking 1000 yards and the season isn't even halfway done

43Hitman
10-24-2011, 03:03 PM
We could see the departure of Hampton as well with the amount of youth we've been seeing play at a reasonable level. I actually thought McLendon did a good job as has some potential at the nose, but I agree Wallace is more important to this offense than Mendy is at this point.

Curtain_of_Steel
10-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Wallace can be tagged. Unless its a favorable deal, I do not see a long term deal in the near future.

Players who will help with cap room

Smith-gone
Farrior-gone
Hampton- potentially gone
McFad- is he still on the team? Gona
Ward- better restructure, or gone.
Batch: gone

If we can get a good draft, cap wise we could be sitting very nice to add a quality Olineman or 2.

But they will need a Dline guy this coming draft again.

Fire Arians
10-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Wallace can be tagged. Unless its a favorable deal, I do not see a long term deal in the near future.

Players who will help with cap room

Smith-gone
Farrior-gone
Hampton- potentially gone
McFad- is he still on the team? Gona
Ward- better restructure, or gone.
Batch: gone

If we can get a good draft, cap wise we could be sitting very nice to add a quality Olineman or 2.

But they will need a Dline guy this coming draft again.

we should be able to snag a good nose tackle in rds 3 or 4, they typically don't go very high

ZoneBlitzer
10-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Like Wallace and all but Antonio Brown is the best receiver on this team right now. He's got better hands and body control versus Wallace. Wallace is still a work in progress IMO. I'd like to see more elusiveness from him on the short catches.

tony hipchest
10-24-2011, 03:59 PM
interesting stat- wallace is 40th in the league in YAC. the explanation is fairly simple. he rarely catches the ball in front of defenders and if he's even, he's leavin'.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
10-24-2011, 04:09 PM
interesting stat- wallace is 40th in the league in YAC. the explanation is fairly simple. he rarely catches the ball in front of defenders and if he's even, he's leavin'.

cause ben does not throw to him on short passes and he is always open but if you have a receiver that can beat defenders on streaks like wallace can your going to bomb it to him everytime thats what a receiver is for right?

tony hipchest
10-24-2011, 04:22 PM
cause ben does not throw to him on short passes and he is always open but if you have a receiver that can beat defenders on streaks like wallace can your going to bomb it to him everytime thats what a receiver is for right?exactamundo!

the only way fro him to get yac is on crossing patterns or a super quick slant ( like vs carolina) all the time and who would wanna do that when he is already 10 yds off the ball a second after the snap.

in his case, YAC stats are misleading and overrated.

effyou515
10-24-2011, 06:02 PM
would like to see the Steelers find some way to keep both Wallace and Brown.

ETL
10-24-2011, 08:05 PM
would like to see the Steelers find some way to keep both Wallace and Brown.

I don't see why they can't keep both and Sanders as well.

pete74
02-25-2012, 02:05 PM
I had to bump this thread after seeing all the wallace bashing lately. Wallace isnt a Calvin Johnson and never will be but he is essential to our team because of his speed and hands and he opens the field for the rest of our team. i think we will sign him for around 7 million a season which is a good deal

truesteelerfan
02-27-2012, 02:09 PM
This thread was started after his 95 yard TD- I still feel we need to sign this guy with today's NFL rules which favor the passing game. Is he worth 9 mil a year to the Steelers- no, but it is worth that to keep him off the Pats or Ravens IMO

Atlanta Dan
02-27-2012, 06:55 PM
With regard to the bad mouthing of Wallace, interesting read in ESPN. com Grantland

Free Agent Preview: Mike Wallace

As part of our preview of this year's free agency period, we're going to approach the market from an agent's perspective...and will attempt to make each player look as valuable as possible, even if we don't truly believe that the player is actually worth as much as the books suggest.....:chuckle:

At 25, Mike Wallace is the most promising young receiver in all of football. He's accomplished more during his first three years in the league than any other wide receiver in recent memory, despite unfavorable conditions, regular absences from his starting quarterback, and the presence of two of the league's most decorated wide receivers ahead of him on the depth chart when he entered the league. Any team lucky enough to have Mike Wallace on its roster can expect to have the best wideout in football in its uniform for the next several seasons....

in addition to his impressive performance, there are reasons to think that Wallace's statistics might understate his true level of performance. While Wallace has made it through every contest in his 48-game career without missing a game and has yet to be placed on the injury report with an ailment that classified him as "Questionable" or "Doubtful," that hasn't always been true of his quarterback. Ben Roethlisberger missed one game during the 2009 season and another during the 2011 season thanks to injury; beyond those absences, Roethlisberger was a dramatically limited player during two other 2011 games because of his high ankle sprain, and was suspended for the first four games of the 2010 season.

Together, those injuries mean that Wallace has had to play just under 17 percent of his career with a backup quarterback under center. When Roethlisberger's been in the lineup and (relatively) healthy, Wallace has been a far better player.

Imagine that your organization could have signed Jerry Rice or Randy Moss to a contract three years into their careers while merely sacrificing a first-round pick. On the rare occasions when players of this ilk become available, they usually have baggage of some nature attached and require far more than a first-round pick. There is no such baggage surrounding Wallace, and because of Pittsburgh's salary cap situation, the league has been presented with a chance to acquire him for a price far below his true market value.

Mike Wallace isn't just a free agent. He's a once-in-a-generation opportunity.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/18362/free-agent-preview-mike-wallace

Yeah - this is the hyped up version of how Wallace will be sold by his agent - but there always seems to be a team that will buy that hype