PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben in Motorcycle Accident

Pages : 1 2 [3]

tony hipchest
06-12-2006, 09:21 PM
7 hours to fix his face. the rooneys and cowher OWE it to ben to forbid him ever stepping onto a motorcycle again. i dont care if this is america, or if hes young and single, they are his employer! they have the right to put their foot down and he has to have the sensibilities to abide. everyone in the fron office has got to be kicking themselves for letting the youn man do what he wants

OHIOSTEELERSFAN
06-12-2006, 09:21 PM
they are still waiting

Hawk Believer
06-12-2006, 09:25 PM
7 hours to fix his face. the rooneys and cowher OWE it to ben to forbid him ever stepping onto a motorcycle again. i dont care if this is america, or if hes young and single, they are his employer! they have the right to put their foot down and he has to have the sensibilities to abide. everyone in the fron office has got to be kicking themselves for letting the youn man do what he wants
I bet this starts a new trend of clauses in player's contracts...

SteelCityMan786
06-12-2006, 09:27 PM
I bet this starts a new trend of clauses in player's contracts...

I aggree HB. Next contract if the Steelers sign him back which probably they will he will have to aggree to not use a motorcycle without a helmet.

OHIOSTEELERSFAN
06-12-2006, 09:28 PM
If they let him ride at all

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-12-2006, 09:29 PM
UPDATE NOW FROM DOCS ON LOCAL FOX:

Multiple facial fractures. 7 hour surgery. Surgery successful on his face. Brain and Spine........NO INJURIES. Serious but stable still. Not expected to change through the evening. New updates not expected until tomorrow morning.

I hope there is nothing else that shows up later... still praying for the man!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
06-12-2006, 09:29 PM
yes,
i think all contracts will have a section on the "motorcycle"

steelerfan12
06-12-2006, 09:30 PM
If they let him ride at all
which the prob. wont

OHIOSTEELERSFAN
06-12-2006, 09:33 PM
jeez - 5 doctors and 7 hrs of surgery. But at least the knee injuries are not as bad as first thought

Livinginthe past
06-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Thats excellent news so far - he sounds pretty banged up - but the two major areas of concern seem to be ok - the brain and the spine.

That 9" gash didnt sound too healthy but im sure it will heal with time.

Im sure when Ben is able to give a press conference he will be firmly on the pro-helmet side of the debate.

A role model like Ben changing his stance on such an important subject could save numerous lives - another thing to be thankful for.

NM

OHIOSTEELERSFAN
06-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Thats excellent news so far - he sounds pretty banged up - but the two major areas of concern seem to be ok - the brain and the spine.

That 9" gash didnt sound too healthy but im sure it will heal with time.

Im sure when Ben is able to give a press conference he will be firmly on the pro-helmet side of the debate.

A role model like Ben changing his stance on such an important subject could save numerous lives - another thing to be thankful for.

NM

Yes, considering what could have been it sure sounds great. Kind of expect him to advocate helmets too.

Atlanta Dan
06-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Sounds like the injuries to the face were broken bones but not lacerations - still sounds horrible.

If there is any good to come out of this it will be rejecting the idea that no helmet laws are protecting some great civil right.

Scooper
06-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Anyone see this Bradshaw quote here: www.yorkblog.com

Also, while I expect Big Ben to be pro-helmet, you can bet the no-helmet lobbyists are gearing up a MASSIVE campaign to downplay this accident. The bikers don't want their freedoms taken away.

Hawk Believer
06-12-2006, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=Atlanta Dan]Sounds like the injuries to the face were broken bones but not lacerations - still sounds horrible.
QUOTE]

So it sounds like he broke his jaw and I would imagine the bones on his cheek and around his nose. He'll probably look a litttle different when all is said and done, but none of those things should have a profound effect on his career after this season I would guess.

The one thing that still worries me about him is if he broke the orbit around his eye. If you ever knew someone who got punched really hard in the eye and broke their orbit, the docs are always very concerned about the eye. When that stucture is compromised, the nerves and muscles that control the eye are at risk for permanent damage. But I haven't heard anyone mention this as a problem so its probably not an issue.

Great to hear that there is no sign of brain injury at this time!

steelerfan12
06-12-2006, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=Atlanta Dan]Sounds like the injuries to the face were broken bones but not lacerations - still sounds horrible.
QUOTE]

So it sounds like he broke his jaw and I would imagine the bones on his cheek and around his nose. He'll probably look a litttle different when all is said and done, but none of those things should have a profound effect on his career after this season I would guess.

The one thing that still worries me about him is if he broke the orbit around his eye. If you ever knew someone who got punched really hard in the eye and broke their orbit, the docs are always very concerned about the eye. When that stucture is compromised, the nerves and muscles that control the eye are at risk for permanent damage. But I haven't heard anyone mention this as a problem so its probably not an issue.

Great to hear that there is no sign of brain injury at this time!
it would have been the end of his carrer if he would have suffered brain injurys!!

Hawk Believer
06-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Anyone see this Bradshaw quote here: www.yorkblog.com

Also, while I expect Big Ben to be pro-helmet, you can bet the no-helmet lobbyists are gearing up a MASSIVE campaign to downplay this accident. The bikers don't want their freedoms taken away.
We've had helmet laws so long out here on the west coast it was kinda surprising to hear that PA didn't have one.

That got me googling. The following link is a map of what states have helmet laws. This is from one of those anti-helmet law groups.

http://usff.com/hldl/frames/50state.html

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE=Hawk Believer]
it would have been the end of his carrer if he would have suffered brain injurys!!

yes it would have been and thank god that just did not happen

Koopa
06-12-2006, 10:02 PM
We've had helmet laws so long out here on the west coast it was kinda surprising to hear that PA didn't have one.

That got me googling. The following link is a map of what states have helmet laws. This is from one of those anti-helmet law groups.

http://usff.com/hldl/frames/50state.html

i heard on around the horn today that pa did have a helmet law until two years ago

steelerfan12
06-12-2006, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=steelerfan12]

yes it would have been and thank god that just did not happen
i hate to say this but could u image how devistated us fans would be if his carrer did end or he even passed away! OMG!!

hjboudre
06-12-2006, 10:26 PM
I aggree HB. Next contract if the Steelers sign him back which probably they will he will have to aggree to not use a motorcycle without a helmet.

All pro contracts come with a clause that allows the teams to recover salary and signing bonus (prorated) in the event of any non-football related accident, which this certainly applies. It's doubtful that the Steelers would attempt to go after Roth with the info we have, but it's always an option.

fergusonat
06-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Ah, back from my graduation...and thanks to whoever that was who congratulated me haha...

Well, it seems like I came home to some good news: Ben's knees aren't as bad as we all feared and no apparent brain or spine injuries! I think if there were substantial eye injuries, we would have heard some reports of it by now. Maybe this whole situation knocked some sense into Ben. He's gotta think of the team, his employers, and IMO most importantly the fans. If he got himself killed, the city of Pittsburgh would have been crushed.

steelerfan12
06-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Ah, back from my graduation...and thanks to whoever that was who congratulated me haha...

Well, it seems like I came home to some good news: Ben's knees aren't as bad as we all feared and no apparent brain or spine injuries! I think if there were substantial eye injuries, we would have heard some reports of it by now. Maybe this whole situation knocked some sense into Ben. He's gotta think of the team, his employers, and IMO most importantly the fans. If he got himself killed, the city of Pittsburgh would have been crushed.
ya i think he will finnaly grab some common sense and think bout his friends family and most important his fans if something perminet (brain damage) would of occured!

Petesburgh66
06-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Ben is very lucky to come out with a broken jaw and nose. That is one tough son of a gun. This is very good news compared to the doom and gloom I read earlier in the day by some.

Now just ditch the bike until your playing days are done.

SalukiSteelers
06-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Man, what a freakin' mess. While I love the guy for all he is on the field, I have to question what the heck Ben was thinking by riding a bike without a helmet. Just because a guy seems almost invincible on the field doesn't mean it carries over to life outside the lines. I agree with Bradshaw -- focus on football and garage the bike until retirement. This team NEEDS Ben to win and while I wish him the best, part of me is a little angry that this even happened. For what it's worth, I hope Steelers fans are classy enough to realize that this was simply a bad accident and that they don't decide to take it out on the poor guy who clipped Ben's bike. As is usually the case, no news is good news in the offseason.

melroseplace
06-12-2006, 11:33 PM
wow what a day it has been...he's one lucky son of a gun, that's for sure. thank God the surgery went well and he's in stable condition.

I was out for the 10:00 press conference...did they address the topic of his knees?

BlitzburghRockCity
06-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Ive been in training all day at work and had no access to the net until this evening. My dad, brother, one of my friends, wife, sister, all called me leaving VM's on my cell about it.

This just pisses me off to no end. I cant believe it. I realize the accident may not have been his fault, hell most times it isnt the riders fault but DAMN, comon Ben. You are our future man, you led us to a SB win. We need you on the field bro !!

Ive been reading up about it all over the net, and getting all the info I could and of course checking out SF for all the latest from everyone. Most recent updates are that the team will not try to go after any of his contract money for not being able to play right now, mainly becuase it looks like he'll be ready to play at some point in training camp. He'll be able to do light drills and walk throughs till then atleast.

Ben has made no quarrels about he enjoys riding and knows the risks of riding without a lid. This time it just bit him.

floodcitygirl
06-12-2006, 11:41 PM
wow what a day it has been...he's one lucky son of a gun, that's for sure. thank God the surgery went well and he's in stable condition.

I was out for the 10:00 press conference...did they address the topic of his knees? I didn't hear the press conference, but the last I heard is that his knees were not as badly injured as first thought, not sprained, but a nasty road rash. I had heard that he should only miss the first couple weeks of training. Is that correct? Sorry if this has already been asked but this news is hard to come by here.

tony hipchest
06-12-2006, 11:45 PM
"the concrete is undefeated, it has never lost" - joey porter

this is an old quote attributed to a smart man. im sure he would say the exact same thing about bullets in the ass.

kudos to joey for going to the hospital to see his teams fallen leader.

tony hipchest
06-12-2006, 11:48 PM
tom brady says today that there is a specific clause in his contract prohibiting him from riding a motorcycle.

i bet there is a specific clause prohibiting him from riding the merry-go-round at the fair.

enough of his opinions already.

3 to be 4
06-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Tom would never have gotten into an accident. (wink)

tony hipchest
06-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Tom would never have gotten into an accident. (wink)

his safety skills on a merry-go-round are unprescedented. :cool:

3 to be 4
06-13-2006, 12:06 AM
he may not ride motorcycles but he screws beautiful actresses.

id rather be Tom.

tony hipchest
06-13-2006, 12:14 AM
he may not ride motorcycles but he screws beautiful actresses.

id rather be Tom.

you mean chicks like paris hilton and lindsay lohan? id rather bone chicks like natalie gublis (im sure gabrielle reese is next on the list). hopefully ben's "peter piper picked a peck" can still peck.

theres many more oats to sow for the qb of the future. in 2 years i bet him and michelle wie could produce the ultimate athelete.

klick81
06-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Anyone in Pittsburgh got the latest news on Ben? I seriously keep on feeling like i'm in a bad dream and I'll wake up soon. How I wish this was the case.

Prosdo
06-13-2006, 01:12 AM
So far the injuries I have heard about are a broken jaw, broken nose, nine-inch laceration to the back of his head, broken/knocked out teeth, and sprained or bruised his knees.

Steelers | Roethlisberger's condition not expected to change overnight
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:19:11 -0700

ESPN.com reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger remained in serious but stable condition following seven hours of surgery that ended at approximately 9 p.m. ET, according to Dr. Daniel Pituch, Chief of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Mercy Hospital. His condition is not expected to change throughout the evening, Pituch said at a news conference following the surgery.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/

Prosdo
06-13-2006, 01:15 AM
Here is also an article from the Post-Gazette:

Quarterback's state after 24 hours is key
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
By David Templeton and Joe Fahy, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Doctors should soon know whether Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger can recover from his motorcycle crash and return to football.

That's the perspective of Dr. Jack Wilberger, chairman of neurosurgery at Allegheny General Hospital.

The best-case scenario is for Mr. Roethlisberger to leave the hospital in several days, continue his recovery at home, and be able to play football this fall, Dr. Wilberger said.

But the progress he makes in the first 24 hours will determine if other injuries, initially undetected, could cause more significant health problems for the Steelers quarterback, he said.

"Assuming there's not more to it than what we know, his recovery shouldn't be that long," Dr. Wilberger said, basing his comments on information available to the public six to eight hours after the accident. "It looks reasonably good, given what could have happened.

"His brain is working and even with a concussion, he had most of his faculties."

What happened overnight and today will be monitored closely by doctors at Mercy Hospital, where Mr. Roethlisberger was taken after he crashed his motorcycle.

Dr. Wilberger said doctors will watch for injuries not initially detected, including bone fractures. Doctors also will watch his blood pressure, which could drop if any undetected injuries to internal organs occurred.

Another problem to watch out for is the possibility of bruised lungs, which could reduce the amount of oxygen in his system, Dr. Wilberger said.

People with head injuries often are put through a test known as the Glasgow Coma Scale to determine the level of injury, he said.

A deep coma would score only a three, with normal or near-normal brain function scoring a 15.

Dr. Wilberger said he had learned that Mr. Roethlisberger scored a 13 or 14 on the test.

"That would be considered minor head injury or a concussion. With that level, most people have a good outcome."

But some could have lasting effects with memory or other problems, he said.

Given what he's learned of Mr. Roethlisberger's injuries, Dr. Wilberger said there's nothing to suggest Mr. Roethlisberger could not return to football. "But we have to make sure he gets through the period where more serious injuries can show up."

Swelling of the brain can occur after an accident, and even patients with relatively mild brain injuries can have problems with memory or concentration, said Dr. Douglas H. Smith, director of the University of Pennsylvania's Center for Brain Injury and Repair.

Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06164/697825-66.stm

klick81
06-13-2006, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the update Prosdo. Here's to hoping for no more injuries :hope:

Ohio Steeler
06-13-2006, 02:05 AM
so whats the chance he really does not miss any games from this

klick81
06-13-2006, 02:07 AM
Too soon to call IMO.

Ohio Steeler
06-13-2006, 02:17 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06164/697828-66.stm

Doctors successfully repaired what they said were multiple facial fractures suffered in a motorcycle accident yesterday by Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, but no one would say how his injuries would affect his ability to play.

The 24-year-old quarterback, who was not wearing a helmet, was in serious but stable condition at Mercy Hospital after undergoing seven hours of surgery performed by a team of four surgeons.

Mr. Roethlisberger was injured in an accident at 11:10 a.m. as his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge. Witnesses said his head hit the car's windshield and then struck the pavement.

Dr. Daniel Pituch, chief of Mercy's division of oral and maxillofacial surgery, said Mr. Roethlisberger underwent surgery for multiple facial fractures after being evaluated by the surgical team.

"All of the fractures were successfully repaired," he said.

Dr. Pituch would not elaborate further on the quarterback's head injuries. But he indicated that the quarterback did not suffer any other serious injuries.

"His brain, spine, chest and abdomen appear to be without serious injury and there are no other confirmed injuries at this time," Dr. Pituch said.

Dr. Pituch said he did not expect Mr. Roethlisberger's condition to change overnight.

Dr. Harry W. Sell Jr., chairman of surgery at Mercy, said the quarterbacks' family requested that no other information be released about his injuries and doctors declined to answer any questions at a briefing last night.

But Dr. Sell relayed a word of thanks from his family members.

"The Roethlisberger family extends their gratitude for the support, prayers and well wishes that have been pouring into Mercy Hospital," Dr. Sell said.

Although his injuries were serious, onlookers said it could have been much worse. Witnesses said he twice struck his head -- on the car's windshield and then, after flying over the car, on the roadway.

Indeed, the mood at Steelers headquarters later in the day was "reserved optimism." Steelers team president Art Rooney II said he was praying that "Ben's going to make it all right" after arriving last night at Mercy Hospital.

An earlier statement from Mr. Rooney said everyone in the organization was concerned and that, "So far, we have been encouraged by the early reports from the medical team at Mercy Hospital."

Before going into surgery, Dr. Larry Jones of Mercy said the quarterback was talking, was coherent and was cognizant of the situation.

One Steelers source said Mr. Roethlisberger was in surgery for a broken jaw, an injury that can take approximately seven weeks to heal. The Steelers season starts in 12 weeks.

Steelers fans across the region shared concern about the quarterback's condition while debating his judgment in not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle, especially since he wears one for his occupation.

Several fans showed up at the hospital last night to hold a vigil, complete with lawn chairs and a miniature charcoal grill.

A handful of Steelers players also came to the hospital, including backup quarterback Charlie Batch. Coach Bill Cowher came to the hospital about 9:15 p.m. but did not speak to reporters.

The accident scene left little doubt that the late-morning accident in the Bluff involving Mr. Roethlisberger's motorcycle and a Chrysler New Yorker had been horrific. Metal was twisted like licorice. Windshield glass shattered. Blood pooled on the pavement.

In the moments after the accident, onlookers shook their heads in concern. All they could do was hope for the best for the anonymous motorcyclist.

And then reporters arrived and spread the word that the accident victim was someone they all knew. Those who had been there were stunned. Others, who heard the news from the media, made a pilgrimage to the scene where the severely damaged car, demolished cycle, a red hooded sweatshirt, and blood stains gave silent testimony to what had occurred.

Mr. Roethlisberger was riding a 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle outbound on Second Avenue when a 1996 silver New Yorker driven in the opposite direction by Martha Fleishman, 62, of Squirrel Hill, attempted to turn left onto the 10th Street Bridge in front of the motorcycle.

Mr. Roethlisberger smashed his cycle into the car near the front passenger side. His head crashed into the car's windshield, shattering it and leaving a 6-inch hole. Witnesses said he flew over the car and landed on his head on the pavement. A pool of blood marked the spot long after Mr. Roethlisberger was rushed by ambulance to nearby Mercy Hospital.

A woman who declined to give her name said she saw the accident and ran onto the roadway to help the victim. She didn't know it was the Steelers quarterback until a reporter told her about a half hour later.

"That was him? Oh, my! He did say his name was 'Ben,' " she said, recalling that the injured man knew his name but was so disoriented he didn't know the city he was in. "I told him to lie down. He kept trying to get up."

Others who saw him likewise didn't recognize him because of the injuries he suffered and the large amount of blood that covered his face and head.

Among them was Sandra Ford, a Homewood writer and artist, who had just finished teaching a writing class at the Allegheny County Jail and was waiting for a bus on the Armstrong Tunnels side of Second Avenue. Attracted by the loud exhaust, she noticed a motorcycle approaching from her right ridden by a rugged-looking white man with curly hair.

"He was sailing, like he was enjoying the ride. He was going at a good clip but wasn't going overly fast," Ms. Ford said.

She said as he passed her, she noticed a car turning left in front of him. She said she expected the motorcycle to slow down or even have to slam on the brakes but was blocked from further view by cars traveling inbound. And then she heard a "crunching sound" and saw the motorcyclist fly over the car.

"He was a like a doll someone threw up into the air," Ms. Ford said. "I ran to the scene and he was lying on his back and wasn't moving. I thought he was dead."

And then the victim tried to get up but was calmed down by the unidentified witness and a man who tended to him until medics arrived shortly thereafter. She said she spoke with Mrs. Fleishman who she said told her, "I was watching him approach but he was not looking at me."

Ms. Ford caught her bus but couldn't get the accident out of her mind.

"I felt so badly for that guy. Two seconds can change your life," she said. "And then I get home and turn on the TV and find out it's Ben Roethlisberger and I was really upset then."

Mrs. Fleishman's husband, Martin, confirmed in a telephone interview that his wife was the driver but said the couple didn't want to discuss what happened.

"We really have no statement," Mr. Fleishman said. "We certainly hope everything goes well for Mr. Roethlisberger but we have no other statement. Certainly this is terrible and unfortunate. We hope he has a speedy recovery."

He wouldn't comment on his wife's physical or emotional condition in the wake of the accident other than to say, "She's doing as best as she can."

The car is registered to Mrs. Fleishman and carries Maine license plates. The couple has a summer home in Farmington, Maine.

The city police Collision Investigations Unit is investigating the accident. Both vehicles were towed for further investigative processing. There has not been any determination of the speed of the vehicles and no charges have been filed. The investigation could take several weeks to complete, police said.

Mr. Roethlisberger has been known to ride without a helmet when operating his cycle. Steelers coach Bill Cowher addressed the issue with his starting quarterback in May 2005 after Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow had a motorcycle accident in suburban Cleveland. Mr. Winslow hit a curb in a parking lot and was ejected from his bike, injuring his knee.

"It's one of those things, where he talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker, I'm pretty conservative and laid back," Mr. Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette. "So the big thing is just be careful and that's what we do.

"I think every person that rides is careful. That's the biggest thing, I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we never ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think that makes it more safe."

Mr. Roethlisberger's mother, Ida, was killed in a car accident when he was 8 years old.

Throughout the area, indeed throughout the entire Steeler Nation, concerns were voiced about Mr. Roethlisberger's condition as were some criticisms of his off-field decision-making. While a few fans said it was a personal decision, many were troubled by his not wearing a motorcycle helmet. Still others said he shouldn't have been on a motorcycle in the first place, claiming he had an obligation as a professional football player not to put himself at risk.

"The cautionary note is, everyone should wear a helmet," said Dr. Jack Wilberger, chairman of neurosurgery at Allegheny General Hospital. "If he had a helmet on he might have been able to get up and walk away, take the helmet off and be scared to death, but be fine."

While Mr. Winslow's contract forbade him from riding a motorcycle, Mr. Roethlisberger's contract does not prohibit him from riding motorcycles, even without a helmet. The standard NFL contract prohibits risky behavior, but that is not precisely defined. Pennsylvania repealed its mandatory helmet law in 2003.

"I think that's my own discretion," Mr. Roethlisberger said about not wearing a helmet when he rides. "Obviously, Pennsylvania doesn't think people need to."

During an interview last year, Steelers Hall-of-Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw offered one piece of advice for Mr. Roethlisberger about his motorcycle.

"Ride it when you retire. That's the way I feel. Those things are dangerous."

Prosdo
06-13-2006, 05:03 AM
Only thing KDKA is reporting right now is the surgery was successful and no other confirmed injuries at this time. Hope he is doing well or as well as he could be.

BAC
06-13-2006, 05:46 AM
I know this may be a little off topic, but not really impotant enough for its own thread. My wife & I are pretty sure that Ben's oral surgen was one of the doctors on Extreme Makeover,...no kidding.

The research continues. :)

GoStillersGo
06-13-2006, 05:51 AM
I'm perrusing through other teams boards.. I have found the Pat's to be the most positive from this news. More positive and nice than this board... sad to say.

Cleveland and Seatle.. By far the worst.

I don't know about Cincinnati boards, but their radio is brutal.

Prosdo
06-13-2006, 06:08 AM
We had quite a few Cincy Fans come over with well wishes. We have a lot of Cincy fans who visit us during the weeks we play each other and vice versa. They come from www.cincybengals.com. Lot of cool and classy fans over there.

Hammer67
06-13-2006, 06:42 AM
The irony of all of this is that all of this is because he plays football. If he didn't, no one would care. Interesting aspect of our culture.

I could care less about how this affects his playing career and its future as that would be extremly selfish. I do hope he has a full recovery for him & his family's sake. And, i hope this scares him into wearing a helmet.

SteelCityMan786
06-13-2006, 07:32 AM
The irony of all of this is that all of this is because he plays football. If he didn't, no one would care. Interesting aspect of our culture.

I could care less about how this affects his playing career and its future as that would be extremly selfish. I do hope he has a full recovery for him & his family's sake. And, i hope this scares him into wearing a helmet.

That is definantly correct Hammer. Why would have this crash been made public and taken up a bunch of programming hours if he wasn't in football?

2700 Posts Right Here!

ARKIESTEEL
06-13-2006, 07:38 AM
How will the card that is going around in here get to Ben?

WardBus8636
06-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Im am just as mad, sad, and agry as anyone but he really shoud have worn a helmet or stayed away from a motercycle all together this close to the season.

ClownsFanInSC
06-13-2006, 08:14 AM
I know I don't speak for all Browns fans but this one hopes Ben makes a full recovery in time for football season. I take no joy in seeing an opponent injured. I remember screaming for Joe "Turkey" Jones to kill Bradshaw then immediately feeling remorse when he suplexed him onto the turf and left him in a quivering heap. I was glad Terry was OK and I pray Ben will be too.

My first thought when I heard about the accident was "What a total idiot!" but who among us wouldn't think we were invincible if we had won a Super Bowl and dated Natalie Gulbis before we were 25? Yeah he was stupid but it seems only fate decides who pays and who doesn't for the stupidity of youth. We all did stuff as young people that could have gotten us killed.

I know you've been our daddy for the last 35 years and it seems no matter who is quarterback you'll still be our daddy but it would suck a lot worse to lose to Charlie Batch than to Ben. My curse is that 48 years ago I was born to a Y-town family that were Browns fans and not Steeler fans but I will faithfully (albeit blindly) take my hapless Browns to the grave with me.

I look forward to cursing the Steelers in the fall.

Statik
06-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Any word on a press conference today at some point for an update?

Ohio Steeler
06-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Any word on a press conference today at some point for an update?

last I heard they are planning on having a press conference sometime today to update us on how he is , I am just not sure when

osmo
06-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Dolphin fan here, wanted to drop by a wish Ben a speedy recovery.. Nothing surmounts the life of someone, and certainly not a sport. This is certainly a tragedy, and I am very glad that so far the reports have been alot better then they could have been. Ben and his family will be in our prayers, and we thank god that at this point he looks to have no perminant injuries.

Here's hoping for a stelar matchup on opening day w/ Big Ben and C-Pep, but first an foremost a speedy full recovery for Ben!

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks Osmo....very classy of you.

steelerfan12
06-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Dolphin fan here, wanted to drop by a wish Ben a speedy recovery.. Nothing surmounts the life of someone, and certainly not a sport. This is certainly a tragedy, and I am very glad that so far the reports have been alot better then they could have been. Ben and his family will be in our prayers, and we thank god that at this point he looks to have no perminant injuries.

Here's hoping for a stelar matchup on opening day w/ Big Ben and C-Pep, but first an foremost a speedy full recovery for Ben!
wow dude thanks alot that means the world around here!!

Ohio Steeler
06-13-2006, 09:22 AM

osmo thanks for your kind words, it sure is nice to see fans from other teams coming here and wishing Ben the best

msafford
06-13-2006, 09:28 AM
I, like so many people out there, have done my fair share of things that could be deemed dangerous in my lifetime. After having lost a very close friend (the last time I saw him was when our Steelers beat his Lion's asses.) recently in a terrible plane accident (one of the 5 music students from IU), and now something like this shows me that while we may get pumped up and excited about things like our beloved Ben and the Steelers winning the superbowl, life can change in an instant. That may sound kinda morbid, but it's the sad truth. I believe it's our responsibility as humans to value what limited time God has given us on this earth. I truly wish Ben a speedy, full recovery. Far beyond the fact he's a truly gifted athelete, he's just a damn nice kid. God bless him and his family.

24seven
06-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Amen kmsafford.....Amen....

Scooper
06-13-2006, 09:42 AM
This site mentioned in a newspaper story: http://www.ydr.com/sportsfull/ci_3931214

TexaSteeler
06-13-2006, 09:42 AM
I find it ironic that after Ben's stiff defense on not wearing a helmet, his most serious injuries were to his head.

TexaSteeler
06-13-2006, 09:46 AM
If Ben's career came to a screeching halt right now I would bet he's probably financially set from his signing bonus, sure the Rooney's cut Ben his check, but it's the fans who pay the bills.

"I owe it to the fans" might not be a deterent but it should at least be a consideration.

I agree but it obviously wasn't. And really he only owes it to his teammates and the organization. They're jobs are affected by his health.

tony hipchest
06-13-2006, 09:50 AM
This site mentioned in a newspaper story: http://www.ydr.com/sportsfull/ci_3931214

hey youre famous 83-steelers-43!

Ohio Steeler
06-13-2006, 09:53 AM
hey youre famous 83-steelers-43!

very cool

RichmondVA
06-13-2006, 10:08 AM
If he sustained a concussion in the accident... I hope it will not lead to more of them in the future!

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Damn TH, I thought you were joking!!!! LOL

WhiteTrashTrouble
06-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Im Sry people! I blame myself! I had the bright idea of making roethlisburgers this weekend. They were excellent. Then i wake up monday thinking o what a great day. Then to find out roethlisburger himself was injured on his bike. I promise to you all i will not eat a roethlisburger ever again. IM SORRY!

SteelerzGirl
06-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Damn TH, I thought you were joking!!!! LOL

Dang, 83, you're a superstar...(lol)! Too bad it was under these unfortunate circumstances, huh? :frown:

Scooper
06-13-2006, 11:18 AM
KDKA.com reporting that BR didn't have license to operate a motorcycle in PA . :dang:

OneForTheToe
06-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Well, now that his injuries are not life threatening ........

I think teammates do have a legit gripe against Ben for not being careful with his choices. For example, a guy like Jeff Hartings doesn't have ten more years to pursue another ring. I believe an athlete, as important to his team as Ben, makes an implied promise to his teammates to take reasonable precautions, so as to most likely be there with them as they go into battle.

On the other hand, I don't buy into the argument that Ben makes the same promise to his fans. As much as fans want to believe they have a connection with an athlete, it's just not the same. We don't really experience the blood, sweat and tears with the athlete. We can't really look the athlete in the eye, when the games on the line, and know what he/she is thinking because we've been with him or her throughout it all.

Anyway, Ben get better, even if it takes time, but think a little more about your teammates next time.

WWIIOwheelz
06-13-2006, 11:30 AM
KDKA.com reporting that BR didn't have license to operate a motorcycle in PA . :dang:

Oh, man. KDKA, wtf..... is the scoop THAT important at a time like this?

Scooper
06-13-2006, 11:36 AM

I dunno. I think it's a fairly important piece of information.

Plus, if you only have a "learner's permit" -- let alone an EXPIRED learner's permit -- I think you are REQUIRED to wear a helmet.

Just more evidence of BR's irresponsibility, if it's true.

WWIIOwheelz
06-13-2006, 11:40 AM
I just hate to see it at a time like this. I just don't want to think of him in a bad way, I suppose. Facts are facts, true enough. I'd just like to focus on what's really important instead of kicking the guy while he's down.

Scooper
06-13-2006, 11:43 AM
We're some folks already kicking him while he was down by harping on the "no helmet" angle?

bigbengalbubba
06-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Just wanted to send my wishes for a speedy and full recovery for Ben.

SteelCityMan786
06-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Just wanted to send my wishes for a speedy and full recovery for Ben.

Thanks man. It's greatly appreciated by all.

SteelCityMan786
06-13-2006, 12:41 PM

Yeah should we really care at a time like this if he had a license plate? HELL NO! His health is more important than that.

caseydog
06-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Just a thought. If Ben wears a helmet on the field to protect his head in the event of a collision with a 300 pound defensive lineman running at what, 3 mph, then why would he not worry about a collision with a 4,000 pound Chrysler going 30 mph?

Football career aside, I hope he learns from this accident so his cause of death will be old age.

SteelCityMan786
06-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Just a thought. If Ben wears a helmet on the field to protect his head in the event of a collision with a 300 pound defensive lineman running at what, 3 mph, then why would he not worry about a collision with a 4,000 pound Chrysler going 30 mph?

Football career aside, I hope he learns from this accident so his cause of death will be old age.

You make an excellent point casey. Why not wear a helmet on a motorcycle. This is what I am getting from it, Big Ben wears a helmet on the Football Field because he is required to. He doesn't wear a Motorcycle helmet because he isn't required to by State Law.

Scooper
06-13-2006, 01:36 PM
He doesn't wear a Motorcycle helmet because he isn't required to by State Law.

Actually, if all you have is a learner's permit to ride a motorcycle, then Pennsylvania law DOES require you to wear a helmet.

Of course, BR's learner's permit had expired, so .... :rolleyes:

SteelerFanInCA
06-13-2006, 01:53 PM
I saw an interesting segment on one of the local news channels last night in regards to the whole helmet law arguement. People are quick to jump on the "don't violate my freedom" bandwagon and claim there freedom is in violation because they are being forced to wear a helmet. Well here's another twist to the issue. While watching this program, they mentioned that half of motor cycle riders do not have any medical coverage which results in us the "taxpayers" shelling out more money out of our pockets to cover their asses. Although the helmet is no guarantee to save your life, I could see it cutting down on the severity of HEAD injuries obtained in accidents thus saving medical cost and tax dollars. Just a different view on the issue from my end.

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Upgraded to FAIR!!! No structure damage to knees. Broken top and lower jaw. No brain damage. Broken nose. Mild concussion.

"No major structural damage to his knees" - The Doc.

Prosdo
06-13-2006, 03:14 PM
KDKA says he has been updated from serious to fair condition. He is awake and with his family. Brain is function normally. Fractured nose. Upper and lower broken jaw. Mild concusion.

BBC
06-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Upgraded to FAIR!!! No structure damage to knees. Broken top and lower jaw. No brain damage. Broken nose. Mild concussion.

Concussion worries me a bit, but it doesn't sound too serious. Great news that he's fair and no serious damage to his knees.

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Concussion worries me a bit, but it doesn't sound too serious. Great news that he's fair and no serious damage to his knees.

To tell you the truth, I'm surprised it was only a "mild" concussion. I agree brother, good to hear about the knees.

SteelerFanInCA
06-13-2006, 03:24 PM
That's great news. Glad to hear that his condition has been upgraded. Thanks for the update.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-13-2006, 03:24 PM
To tell you the truth, I'm surprised it was only a "mild" concussion. I agree brother, good to hear about the knees.

Yes its good to hear his knees are alright. Ben is so lucky. I have had family memeber and have known people that have been killed on motorcycles. Ben's also lucky he didn't lose an arm or a leg. A limb could be ripped off so easily on a motorcycle. Man this season has to start. I know the season is really on the back burner at the moment.

But this has been an interesting offseason for the Steelers. Joey' and Hine's comments. Santonio's arrest and now Ben's accident.

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 03:29 PM
The doctor also stated he could be released in 3-5 days.

BBC
06-13-2006, 03:29 PM
But this has been an interesting offseason for the Steelers. Joey' and Hine's comments. Santonio's arrest and now Ben's accident.

That is a very good point. It seems that the Steelers have gone downhill since winning the Super Bowl. After the Super Bowl the Steelers lost Jerome Bettis to retirement, Kimo to the Jets, Chris Hope to the Titans, Antwaan Randle El to the Redskins, Santonio was arrested, Hines supposedly has problems with Cowher, Joey has contract issues, and Ben has been hurt. While, it doesn't seem that any these will have too drastic of an effect on the team, there has been far more bad this off-season than good.

I've always hated the off-season, but this one has been especially bad.

Ohio Steeler
06-13-2006, 03:33 PM
The doctor also stated he could be released in 3-5 days.

thats a plus....

SteelerFanInCA
06-13-2006, 03:33 PM
We will be OK once the season starts. These guys are football players who know it's their jobs to perform on the football field. All will be put a side once these guys get back in the swing of practicing\playing again.

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Clip of the most recent news conference for those interested: http://kdka.com/video/?id=17202@kdka.dayport.com

DIESELMAN
06-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Roethlisberger Upgraded....http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_164162049.html

Ohio Steeler
06-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Roethlisberger Upgraded....http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_164162049.html

thanks DIESELMAN

SteelerFanInCA
06-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Clip of the most recent news conference for those interested: http://kdka.com/video/?id=17202@kdka.dayport.com
Thanks Man.

CowherLover
06-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Where was the post concerning the fractured jaw, does anyone remember. Someone's wife said that as long as it was his lower jaw he'd be alright but if his upper jaw that healing time would become an issue. I don't want to dig through this thread,lol.

DIESELMAN
06-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Sorry Bro didn't mean to step on your post

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Sorry Bro didn't mean to step on your post

You did? You had the written article and I posted the video. We got the reading and viewing articles back to back. Sounds good to me brother! The more info, the better. :thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 04:26 PM
At this point I would like to thank the EMT's, doctor's and nurses who helped patch up our beloved QB. Once again, I thank you.

scottfeverish
06-13-2006, 04:51 PM
:dang: Well if anyone can pull out of this it's Big Ben! Right now you and your team are "The World Champions" Get better soon because now (this coming season)there's someone bigger on the block! And it would not seem right if your not taking snaps!Who else but Champ Bailey to intercept your passes!That's right baby!Denver Broncos are at the doorstep!:busted:

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Who else but Champ Bailey to intercept your passes!

Now if he could only learn how to catch the ball in order to get that interception. :dang:

tony hipchest
06-13-2006, 04:57 PM
so i guess we can say bens thumb is no longer a concern?

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 04:59 PM
so i guess we can say bens thumb is no longer a concern?

lol, yeah that's a safe assumption.

DIESELMAN
06-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Where was the post concerning the fractured jaw, does anyone remember. Someone's wife said that as long as it was his lower jaw he'd be alright but if his upper jaw that healing time would become an issue. I don't want to dig through this thread,lol.
I heard he fractured his upper and lower jaw bones.

tony hipchest
06-13-2006, 05:28 PM
if ben comes out of his plastic surgery looking like the palmer/aikman twins will anyone like him less?

Brady12
06-13-2006, 05:30 PM
I was listening to ESPN Allnight with J-Smith last night, and he was asking the question "What do you do if you are the Steelers? What do you tell Ben?" I was wondering if anyone here could give a comment on what you would do/tell Ben.

SteelerFanInCA
06-13-2006, 05:40 PM
I was listening to ESPN Allnight with J-Smith last night, and he was asking the question "What do you do if you are the Steelers? What do you tell Ben?" I was wondering if anyone here could give a comment on what you would do/tell Ben.
A definite "I told you so" would not be in order here. I think the fact that he went head first into a windshield and almost lost his life speaks volumes for itself. Louder than any volume that might come out of Cowher's mouth.

OX1947
06-13-2006, 06:14 PM
^Thats funny you brought that up, I actually was thinking that. If i were the Steelers, I wouldnt say diddle poo, not now not ever. BUT, once that contract runs out OR Ben wants to negoiate a year prior going into his last year, you STILL dont say anything but you get a nice little laptop, write in dark print, WILL NOT RIDE A MOTERCYCLE AT ANYTIME DURING THE DURATION OF THIS CONTRACT DURING, AFTER, PERIOD. And actually write PERIOD. Not the dot, PERIOD at the end of it.....

CowherLover
06-13-2006, 06:19 PM
He fractured his upper and lower jaw bones.
Yeah, i got that. I googled information on the injury just to see what the general idea of treatment and basically it all hinges on his ability to rehabilitate. He obviously has a high pain threshhold, as we all know, but from what I read concerning his jaws and nasal cavity are cause for serious trepidation. We'll just have to wait and see. It's not like they're ever quick to give up information on players injuries under normal circumstances so we'll have to listen to everyone speculate

melroseplace
06-13-2006, 07:35 PM
That is a very good point. It seems that the Steelers have gone downhill since winning the Super Bowl. After the Super Bowl the Steelers lost Jerome Bettis to retirement, Kimo to the Jets, Chris Hope to the Titans, Antwaan Randle El to the Redskins, Santonio was arrested, Hines supposedly has problems with Cowher, Joey has contract issues, and Ben has been hurt. While, it doesn't seem that any these will have too drastic of an effect on the team, there has been far more bad this off-season than good.

I've always hated the off-season, but this one has been especially bad.

I tend to have a "glass is half-full" view on things (to a fault sometimes) but anyways...Bettis retiring is certainly sad and a loss to the team, but it every problem should be viewed as a challenge and Lord knows this group of guys loves a challenge. Santonio being arrested certainly isn't a good way to start off a career in the media, especially with this organization, but I think he'll be brought back down to earth after training camp (if not, he'll get the boot). Hines' comments are blown out of proportion, and Joey's contract will (in my opinion) most likely be worked through. Ben's accident is the only thing that stands out in my mind as being bad

also, on a positive note, Hines has been doing amazing things for kids in Korea, let's not forget about that!

melroseplace
06-13-2006, 07:37 PM
It's not like they're ever quick to give up information on players injuries under normal circumstances so we'll have to listen to everyone speculate

I'm doing my best not to think about that...hopefully they're not making it out to be better than it really is

tony hipchest
06-13-2006, 07:52 PM
bones heal at a certain rate. just like when a lady gets pregnant you can expect a baby after 40 weeks, when the doctors say its a 7 week injury we can pretty much take it to the bank (give or take a week).

i bet you ben would tell the coach hes ready to go with in a month and a half. he's tough as nails.

bummer that reports were that he was having his BEST camp ever (we all remember how horrible he looked last pre season) im thinking he shakes this accident off and is better for the wear.

SteelCityMan786
06-13-2006, 09:58 PM
bones heal at a certain rate. just like when a lady gets pregnant you can expect a baby after 40 weeks, when the doctors say its a 7 week injury we can pretty much take it to the bank (give or take a week).

i bet you ben would tell the coach hes ready to go with in a month and a half. he's tough as nails.

bummer that reports were that he was having his BEST camp ever (we all remember how horrible he looked last pre season) im thinking he shakes this accident off and is better for the wear.

same here, I think he just shakes off the dust and gets back to not only enjoying the game he plays, but the time with his family.

Rust-Buster
06-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Glad to hear Ben's condition is improving. I heard he was coherent before the operation and they are expecting him out of the hospital in a few days. Phew, thank God. I expect to see him playing in September. Good luck to you all, and here's to a quick recovery for Big Ben.

steelersfan113
06-14-2006, 12:13 AM
Unfortunately for him he wasn't wearing his helmet which he was criticized heavily for by virtually everyone. Sure wearing his helmet probably would've prevented some of his injuries. However last time I checked the law said the person who caused the accident is at fault not the person who forgot to wear their safety belt or helmet.

What angers me the most is how no one is lashing out at the truly careless person that hit him. Sure accidents happen, but this lady was negligent enough to not even look forward as she made a turn onto a busy intersection.

If I were Ben's family, I sue her for every penny she has. Not for money but for punishment of her carelessness and the pain she's brought upon so many people. When the report comes out in the next few days, it will confirm the accident was indeed her fault (as explained by eye witnesses).

Her name is Martha Fleishman. Hopefully someone will do the right thing and file charges against her.

Finfanforever
06-14-2006, 01:06 AM
Unfortunately for him he wasn't wearing his helmet which he was criticized heavily for by virtually everyone. Sure wearing his helmet probably would've prevented some of his injuries. However last time I checked the law said the person who caused the accident is at fault not the person who forgot to wear their safety belt or helmet.

What angers me the most is how no one is lashing out at the truly careless person that hit him. Sure accidents happen, but this lady was negligent enough to not even look forward as she made a turn onto a busy intersection.

If I were Ben's family, I sue her for every penny she has. Not for money but for punishment of her carelessness and the pain she's brought upon so many people. When the report comes out in the next few days, it will confirm the accident was indeed her fault (as explained by eye witnesses).

Her name is Martha Fleishman. Hopefully someone will do the right thing and file charges against her.

This has to be the most ignorant comment I have seen about this whole accident.

File chargess against the old lady for making a bad turn and getting hit by a motorcycle that shouldn't have even been on the road in the first place? Big B was breaking the law a couple of different ways and you want trouble for the old lady? This is the type of talk that gets people to do stupid things.

Luckily, I think Ben is probably pretty stand up guy and has too much class to trouble the woman. He certainly doesn;t need the dough, and the old lady likely has enough worries with the fact she collided with the local hero.

You give your fellow Steeler fans a bad name. You're truly an idiot and a dung pile amongst a pretty decent fanbase. I am thinking you may even be a Browns fan in disguise trying to start something.

OneForTheToe
06-14-2006, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by steelersfan113

Yikes, I know I' m new to this board, but that seems out of line. Are you really advocating lashing out against a 62 year old women, who at the very worst, made a mistake (and there is not even conclusive proof of that yet).

Originally Posted by tony hipchest

That's probably a best case scenario. I think we need to keep in mind that Big Ben will be on a Big liquid diet for weeks. Combine the lack of food with restrictions on his physical activity, he is bound to loose a lot of muscle. It might take him a while to get it back.

As far as I'm concerned, considering we went from worrying about his life, to worrying about his career, to finally worrying if he can start the season, I'll be OK if he sits for a while at the start of the season.

theropodx
06-14-2006, 08:38 PM
I think we need to keep in mind that Big Ben will be on a Big liquid diet for weeks. Combine the lack of food with restrictions on his physical activity, he is bound to loose a lot of muscle. It might take him a while to get it back.

No, the docs clarified today they did NOT wire his jaw and he is eating soft foods. Will not be on a liquid diet or suffer the drawbacks to a liquid diet.

http://media3.steelers.com/article/65305/

I'm sure he's in hell right now, but the outlook is better every day.

Indy_Steelers
06-14-2006, 08:52 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Asrp45XrJWjA3_x9_s9dZ345nYcB?slug=ap-roethlisbergeraccident&prov=ap&type=lgns

he could leave the hospital thursday

klick81
06-14-2006, 11:22 PM
No, the docs clarified today they did NOT wire his jaw and he is eating soft foods. Will not be on a liquid diet or suffer the drawbacks to a liquid diet.

http://media3.steelers.com/article/65305/

I'm sure he's in hell right now, but the outlook is better every day.

I wonder if the Steelers' training staff is allowed to come up with their own diet that is as helpful as possible?

Hawk Believer
06-14-2006, 11:25 PM
I wonder if the Steelers' training staff is allowed to come up with their own diet that is as helpful as possible?
We'll probably see it soon in nutritional supplement stores like GNC. Ben-Meal, the soft diet of Champions!

OneForTheToe
06-15-2006, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the info on the jaw , theropodx

They didn't wire his jaw shut, huh?

Wow, Big Ben must have the Micheal Jordan - Babe Ruth - Tiger Woods - Dale Earnhardt - - Earl Anthony - Bobby Fisher - Johnny Unitas - Mario Lemieux - Lance Armstrong and so on of Guardian Angels.

Edited to note: just an ad hoc list of stars.

j-dawg
06-15-2006, 02:26 AM
You're truly an idiot and a dung pile amongst a pretty decent fanbase. I am thinking you may even be a Browns fan in disguise trying to start something.

why would you think that? just curious...

i agree with you on your post though....

ARKIESTEEL
06-15-2006, 06:35 AM
Well now we can go back to talking about the no huddle vs smash mouth football and nice stuff of this nature. I almost feel like someone has sounded the all clear horn after a tornado or something. If he gets back on that damn motor bike we need to rush the feild and kick his rump across the feild.

HometownGal
06-15-2006, 02:34 PM

I had a surgery somewhat similar to Ben's (though not quite as extensive and minus the plates and screws) a few years back and was on a soft diet for almost 8 weeks. In order to keep my protein levels up, I drank protein shakes and ate a lot of pureed foods which not only kept up my strength but didn't cause much muscle degeneration. I even ate pureed pizza and burritos, as disgusting as that sounds. :sofunny:

I don't believe the woman who hit Ben's cycle should be charged criminally either. She made a horrible judgment call in the span of a second or two and I'm sure she feels very badly about it. I also don't see Ben filing a lawsuit against her, but unfortunately, his insurance company may. No disrespect meant here to cyclists, but I am of the opinion that if you choose not to wear a helmet and are injured in an accident, you should lose your right to sue or at the very least, have a cap as to how much you can recover. Just mho.

83-Steelers-43
06-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Big Ben makes first visit to Steelers offices since accident
Tuesday, June 20, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

For the first time since he was injured in a motorcycle accident June 12, Ben Roethlisberger visited the Steelers office today, accompanied by bodyguards and wearing a hood to cover his facial injuries.

Roethlisberger stopped by the South Side complex to pick up mail and other items and did not take part in any type of physical workout. He did not speak to reporters.

Steelers coaches who saw Roethlisberger said they were surprised how good he looked and that the swelling and bruising that was readily apparent in his neck and facial area last week had greatly subsided.

It is not known when Roethlisberger will be allowed to begin physical preparation for training camp, though doctors told him he would be ready to play in two months.

He is expected to be ready for the start of the season Sept. 7.

SteelerFanInCA
06-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Glad to hear the swelling and bruising are subsiding. I wonder if he is going to speak to reporters soon? Or will he just wait until he heals a little bit more?

siss
06-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the info on the jaw , theropodx

They didn't wire his jaw shut, huh?

Wow, Big Ben must have the Micheal Jordan - Babe Ruth - Tiger Woods - Dale Earnhardt - - Earl Anthony - Bobby Fisher - Johnny Unitas - Mario Lemieux - Lance Armstrong and so on of Guardian Angels.

Edited to note: just an ad hoc list of stars.
Ben has three guardian Angels. His mother his grandfather and The Chief. Without them we would probably be mourning the passing of our beloved QB.
Oh and dont forget that God is a steeler fan, so that dosent hurt our chances either!

clevestinks
06-24-2006, 12:05 PM
I finally caught up on some of the old post here! Let me say that there are some class acts out there, the rivals showing thier support for Ben. I was actually cringing before reading all of them, I was expecting more sarcastic BS from these rivals. But mainly our regulars are pretty classy. J-Dawg, LITP, Motley Nate, just to name a few, my hats of to you guys!

clevestinks
06-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Does anyone believe in Karma, good or bad??? I do, I wonder if all the talk of Ben not wearing a helmet and his insistance on not wearing one gave him the Bad Karma???

83-Steelers-43
06-24-2006, 12:32 PM
I don't believe in karma. I just feel Ben was driving the fastest manufactured street bike on the market on the city streets of downtown Pittsburgh and a lady failed to yield.

BOXCAR JOEY
09-03-2007, 11:57 PM
so today i pulled over a chucklehead ridin with no helmet and i said to him. are you an idiot or are you trying to be more like you hero big ben.

83-Steelers-43
09-04-2007, 12:01 AM
so today i pulled over a chucklehead ridin with no helmet and i said to him. are you an idiot or are you trying to be more like you hero big ben.

Did the person at least have a license to drive the bike? :wink02:

jjpro11
09-04-2007, 12:02 AM

your going to give half the people on this board heart attacks when they see this bump. it gave me a scare.

Preacher
09-04-2007, 12:02 AM
I saw this thread...

and just said.. OH NO..

Thanks for the heart attack!!!

fansince'76
09-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Nothing like recycling year+ old bad news. Thread closed.