PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben in Motorcycle Accident

Pages : [1] 2 3

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Report: Big Ben Injured In Motorcycle Accident
(KDKA) PITTSBURGH City dispatchers have confirmed a motorcycle accident along the 10th Street Bridge; andt the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is now reporting that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured in the crash.

The accident happened around 11:30am at the intersection with Second Avenue.

The victim has been taken to Mercy Hospital.

At this point, officials are not yet commenting on the victim's condition -- or confirmed the identity of the person injured in the accident.

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_163114722.html

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 12:05 PM
KDKA news is reporting that he was not wearing a helmet and he is bleeding from the head. He flew over his handle bars, hit the windshield of the vehicle and rolled over the top of the vehicle.

Big7Ben
06-12-2006, 12:11 PM
omg! big ben! I'm gonna die!!!! i hope he's okay.. i was hoping to meet him someday.. i've been watching the news for 15 minutes now...
they are showing his bike.. the car made a turn before ben drove across ..
the stupid car hit big ben! AHHHHHHHHHH!
Pray for Big Ben!

blackvelvet
06-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Oh my god, he better be okay! THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON"T WEAR YOUR HELMET!!!!!!

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 12:12 PM
And this is why I agreed with Terry Bradshaw's comments. For that I got reamed out a few times by fellow fans.

Livinginthe past
06-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Holy sh*t this is terrible news.

My thoughts are with him - I hope for some good news, when people hear please post it.

NM

CAH
06-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Bradshaw warned him about that and Ben got mad at him for saying that. Darn you, Ben.

Please get well and let the only thing to come out of this is a lesson from a bad experience.

PatsRule
06-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Is it confirmed it's Big Ben ?

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Is it confirmed it's Big Ben ?

Yes.

melroseplace
06-12-2006, 12:19 PM
shiiiiit. wow that's crazy...I was at that exact intersection on Saturday...

I would hate to be the woman that hit him (especially since they're reporting it was her fault)...she is now the most hated woman in the city

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 12:21 PM
I feel sick........

Fire Haley
06-12-2006, 12:22 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle accident on Monday morning.

The Steelers confirmed the accident for Channel 4 Action News.
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review said the accident happened on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge.

A witness told Channel 4 Action News that Roethlisberger went over the handlebars, hit the windshield of another vehicle and then hit the ground.

Roethlisberger was not wearing a helmet, according to the paper.

Police have closed down the bridge, Second Avenue and the Armstrong Tunnels.

Roethlisberger was taken to Mercy Hospital. There is no word on the extent of his injuries.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/9356067/detail.html

Prosdo
So do I 83. I hope he is okay!

PatsRule
Yes.

That su.x..Hope he will be ok

WWIIOwheelz
Man, the irony of Bradshaw going as far as saying "He doesn't like me" for him coming down on Ben about not wearing a helmet. That's crazy.

Hope he's OK. It doesn't take much to bleed from the head when you hit it off something hard, folks. That's a vague description.... very vague. Hope Ben's OK.

melroseplace
they just said on KDKA that it is reported that he was seen walking and talking after the accident, so hopefully it's not as bad as some of us might be imagining..

Ambridge
06-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Just seen it on the ESPN Ticker.

Damnit Ben!!!!!! :dang:

Hopefully it's not anything serious.

BBC
06-12-2006, 12:23 PM
That woman better hope her identity is kept secret, she will get it much worse than Steve Bartman did.

Only two things we can do now. Hope for a speedy recovery, and hope that Batch is more than ready to step up if need be.

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 12:24 PM
lets just hope this does not turn out like it did for the clowns when KW got hurt on his bike, the lose of Big Ben for a whole year would hurt us bad...

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Personally, I don't care about the season..........I just hope the kid lives or doesn't end up like a vegetable. Reported on KDKA this very second, he was bleeding perfusely from the head.

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Ditto 83!

Fire Haley
06-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Web sites crashing....

Roethlisberger hurt in motorcycle crash
Monday, June 12, 2006

By Michael A. Fuoco, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured when his motorcycle was involved in a crash on the 10th Street Bridge today.

Roethlisberger was injured shortly after 11:30 a.m. at the Second Avenue side of the bridge near the Armstrong Tunnel.

Steelers' spokesman David Lockett confirmed Roethlisberger was involved and is being treated at Mercy Hospital.

An eyewitness said she saw a motorcycle headed outbound on Second Avenue as a car was coming inbound. The car made a left turn toward the bridge in front of the cyclist. The motorcycle hit the car and the operator flew into the windshield and then hit the ground.

The witness said she went to the aid of the motorcyclist and asked his name. He said it was "Ben" and tried to get up, but she told him to stay still.

The victim was bleeding heavily from a head injury.

tony hipchest
06-12-2006, 12:30 PM
i left work a few minutes later thismorning to catch the ben interview on mike and mike. hopped in my car and there was ben again on sirius, and i thought alright, its a good ben in the media day. guess not. we'll see how tough he is now.

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Personally, I don't care about the season..........I just hope the kid lives or doesn't end up like a vegetable. Reported on KDKA this very second, he was bleeding perfusely from the head.

true that I guess all we can do is wait for someone to lets us know how he is doing

Livinginthe past
06-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Hopefully some light concussion is all.

If he really was stood up and talking we can all breathe a sigh of relief.

NM

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 12:32 PM
True LITP

SteelerzGirl
06-12-2006, 12:33 PM
They interrupted regularly scheduled programming here in Johnstown, PA, to report Ben's accident, too. OMG, I'm so sick to my stomach. :frown: My thoughts and prayers are with Ben.

ColtsFan in CA
06-12-2006, 12:34 PM
I stopped by to say my prayers are with Ben. I hope he is okay and it is nothing serious

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks Colts! Very classy! Rep to you!

xxmagicmanxx
06-12-2006, 12:36 PM
My grandpa just called me from Donegal, PA (I live here in VA) to tell me he saw it on KDKA news that Ben had been in a motorcycle accident. Here I am stuck at work with it stuck on my mind. I really hope the kid is alright. Gotta wear that helmet no matter how cool you look without one. :dang:

ColtsFan in CA
06-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks Colts! Very classy! Rep to you!
thanks

this stuff transcends football and anything else I will stop by later to see if any more updates

SteelersMongol
06-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Stupid son of a ... This is what happens when youngsters don't listen to old folks. I know it's his life, his decision on whatever he wants to do with his bike or hobby. But ever since he became the starter, his whole team, the whole Steelers nations depends on him so that he is no longer on his own. As much as I worship Big Ben, I'm so mad at him right now. As they say back at home, tragedy don?t come with warning, Ben! Evil don?t take day off. Shit happens, got to be careful now. :dang:

JAG151
06-12-2006, 12:38 PM
I hope Ben is okay, when I heard it on the noon news, I was ill!! All of our thoughts and prayers are with both him and his family. I hope people learn from this, if they can make it a law to drive with your seatbelts, why can ANYONE ride a motorcycle without a helmet? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Ambridge
06-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Like it's already been mentioned........cuts to the head and face will bleed like a stuck pig so I'm betting it probably looks worse than it actually is.

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Reporting possible broken jaw.

SteelerzGirl
It's not like Pittsburgh is a small town either. Geesh... There's a lot of dang traffic in that city. Why, oh why, would he take chances like that w/o wearing a helmet? I feel like someone just punched me in the stomach. :frown:

Fire Haley
The bike doesn't look so good....

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/AE/9A/58469294-bbfa-00AF0083-.jpg

Livinginthe past
06-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Lets hope that in a few hours time we will all be saying that a bang to the head might knock some sense into Ben.

After this he wont dare go out without a helmet - plus think of all the kids that will take notice - an excellent public health warning.

NM

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Keep in mind folks: There are many conflicting reports at this time. First he was mangled beyond imagination. Then it was reported he was walking around and talking. Then they stated he "attempted" to get up and a witness told him to stay down.

Basically, all we really know for a fact is that Ben was in a motorcycle accident.

rowedf
06-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Yup, way too many stories right now. The only one that sounded pretty straight was the one where the women asked his name and made him remain on the ground, but who knows.

rowedf
06-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Update from the Police. Once the ambulance came, he did try to stand up but collapsed.

SteelerzGirl
06-12-2006, 12:47 PM
The bike doesn't look so good....

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/AE/9A/58469294-bbfa-00AF0083-.jpg

Well that's a mangled mess. :frown:

Fire Haley
06-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Like it's already been mentioned........cuts to the head and face will bleed like a stuck pig so I'm betting it probably looks worse than it actually is.

Head-on bike vs. car crashes are nothing to poo-poo either...head injuries are the worst.

sheba
06-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Lets hope he lives.

Petesburgh66
06-12-2006, 12:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830

The same news was reported in Toronto.

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 12:50 PM
They showed a close-up on the news of his bike..........it's amazing the kid is still alive.

SteelCityMan786
06-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Lets hope he lives.

Right now it's no worse then a concussion to what WTAE is reporting

BAS
06-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Bad news... hopefully he's okay.

Fire Haley
06-12-2006, 12:51 PM
When you're young, you think you're invincible.

Where's that ' no-motorcycle clause' in his contract?

rowedf
06-12-2006, 12:52 PM
They showed a close-up on the news of his bike..........it's amazing the kid is still alive.

Yup, very good.

On the news, they reported that homicide detectives are talking to the driver. That's not a good sign, I'm not a cop but I would only imagine they do not get homicide involved in traffic accidents unless injuries are very serious and either resulted in death or there is a chance of it.

SteelCityMan786
06-12-2006, 12:54 PM
THE Hardest Prayers And Thoughts I have EVER had to send to the Roethlisbergers

SteelerzGirl
06-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Yup, very good.

On the news, they reported that homicide detectives are talking to the driver. That's not a good sign, I'm not a cop but I would only imagine they do not get homicide involved in traffic accidents unless injuries are very serious and either resulted in death or there is a chance of it.

Well that sure as heck doesn't sound good!

WWIIOwheelz
Now THAT'S sensationalism. Homicide detectives? I highly doubt that. Patrolmen respond to traffic accidents, not homicide detectives.

steelersgirl86
I am sure he will be fine. This is horrible and all we can do is pray for him. And I do agree there needs to be a helmet law.....

LeXX75
Ben ...........WTF.................... hope he's OK but there is no reason he should be ridin around with no helmet.........

SteelersWyo
06-12-2006, 12:56 PM
I've been in law enforcement for 15 years and have investigated numerous motorcycle accidents. I also ride a cycle for work and play. Bones are unbelieveably tough, but the brain can suffer a lot of trauma from hitting the inside of the skull. That is the big worry. Blood. Head and facial wounds bleed like and S.O.B. Injuries to internal organs from the impact (such as ruptured bowels and lacerated liver) are the next big concern. With the "he tired to get up and colapsed" or "was told to stay down" really does not matter. 10 witnesses will all give a different version of what happened. More than one just wants his face on the news. Wait for the offical word and don't panic.

Motley Nate
06-12-2006, 12:56 PM
You never wish to see anybody ever hurt in an accident. I hope he is able to walk away from this and teach the rest of the athletic world that bikes and million dollar athletes are not a combination worth the ride. It's not just your career on the line, it's your life.

I hope Ben is fine and behalf of Bengaldom I hope for a speed recovery and a return to the field.

Ambridge
06-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Head-on bike vs. car crashes are nothing to poo-poo either...head injuries are the worst.

Get a grip!
Nothing being made light of.......just stating that cuts to the head face bleed rather intensely, more so than any other parts of the body.

LeXX75
Yup, very good.

goin a little over board here.........let the news settle out before this stuff starts.....

rowedf
Now THAT'S sensationalism. Homicide detectives? I highly doubt that. Patrolmen respond to traffic accidents, not homicide detectives.

I dont think so at all. When there is a serious wreck homicide has to be involved, that doesn't sound like sensationalism.

ARKIESTEEL
I would bet most of the dammage the bike took was after Ben was off of it. That kids tuff he will be fine i cant see it going any other way. We all just need to be calm. That lady didnt mean to hurt Ben or anybody else and i would guess she feels very badly about all of it. Ben should of had his helment on!!! To all you non Steeler fans that have come on here and said nice polite things and well wishes THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I would guess the flood of bengal trolls to be here any time now with their own brand of bs. We all wish Ben well and to get out of the hospital quick we got another SB to win

JAG151
06-12-2006, 12:58 PM
ESPN's John Clayton is reporting at this time as "not life threatening".
Good news, good news!!

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 12:59 PM
The kind words from the guys from other teams are much appreicated!

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 01:01 PM
NFL Network is saying the it is "not life threatening" and Ben is up and moving around in his bed at the hostpital.... I really wish they would get some pic's of all this on

Livinginthe past
06-12-2006, 01:01 PM
I dont think you will have any trouble from fans of any teams to be honest.

This stuff goes way beyond sports rivalries.

NM

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Big Ben 'alert and conscious' after bike crash

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, who last season became the youngest quarterback in NFL history to lead his team to a Super Bowl title, was injured Monday morning in a motorcycle accident and has been transported to a local hospital with head injuries of unspecified severity.

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service, told The Associated Press.

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.

Roethlisberger, the team's first-round choice in the 2004 draft, was transported to the trauma unit of nearby Mercy Hospital, a source confirmed for ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, but his condition is unknown.

Witnesses told authorities that Roethlisberger's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.

Steelers officials have confirmed the accident, which occurred on Second Avenue near the intersection of 10th Street in Pittsburgh, around 11:30 a.m. The route is one often taken in traveling to the Steelers' facility in the Southside section of the city.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle.

In the wake of a motorcycle accident sustained by Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow last spring, Roethlisberger spoke about his own fixation with motorcycles, and his penchant for riding without a helmet. He was admonished by former Steelers quarterback and Hall of Fame member Terry Bradshaw for potentially jeopardizing his career.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday.

One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital.

A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details.

John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli contributed to this story. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

rowedf
NFL Network is saying the it is "not life threatening" and Ben is up and moving around in his bed at the hostpital.... I really wish they would get some pic's of all this on
Thats the stuff that cracks me up, there is no way they have reports on him in the hospital in a bed and up and moving LOL I hope its true but Id assume he's still going through tests, exams, etc.

SteelerzGirl

Let's hope and pray that's the case and that Ben is up and about. (sigh)

Fire Haley
06-12-2006, 01:04 PM
...just stating that cuts to the head face bleed rather intensely, more so than any other parts of the body.

That part is true, I've been a paramedic for 20 years...Spike knows his shit.

Petesburgh66
06-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Where's that ' no-motorcycle clause' in his contract?

10 bucks says the Steelers will insist on one when his contract comes up.

Stillers#1
06-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Man I heard about this during the intermission of my two tests for Staff Segeant. I def could not concentrate on the 2nd test at all. Oh well, I am sure he will be ok, my Dad knows a guy who knows the cop I guess, and it was told to him that Ben was bleeding from the forehead area, and we have all seen wrestlers cut themselves for matches with razors there, and it bleeds like a siv (SP?). I think he will be fine, and he will learn a leasson too.

klick81
Oh god, i think i'm gonna puke. I'm glad he's conscious...my friend phoned me and I thought of the worse possible scenario. Please let him be okay...geez.

83-Steelers-43
I dont think so at all. When there is a serious wreck homicide has to be involved, that doesn't sound like sensationalism.

Rowedf is correct. A police officer stated that there are homicide units at the scene in which he stated with "critical injuries" such as these, it's common.

ARKIESTEEL
06-12-2006, 01:08 PM

NM

I would hope this to be true!!

Theanswer385
06-12-2006, 01:09 PM
NFL network reports his head hit the windshield!!!

SteelerFanInCA
06-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Wow, that's not the first thing I wanted to hear this morning out here in Cali. I sure hope Big Ben is OK. My families thoughts and prayers go out to him in hopes that it is nothing serious.

WWIIOwheelz
06-12-2006, 01:10 PM
I stand corrected, then. I've never seen a homicide detective at a non-fatal accident, though. This likely got a lot of attention on the radio in a hurry.

Motley Nate
06-12-2006, 01:10 PM

NM
Life before football. Can't have one without the other.

Out of sheer respect for your opponent, you always want them in good health, even away from the battleground.

rowedf
06-12-2006, 01:12 PM
They showed the car, it was pretty banged up for a bike hitting it. You could see where his head hit, I believe it was on the drivers side front quarter panel area. It actually looked like he was lucky and didn't hit the metal part of the car, the glass looked smashed about 3-4 inches on the windshield..... so that glass prolly gave a little more cushion than the metal would have.

SteelerFanInCA
06-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Did they say how fast he was traveling?

Livinginthe past
06-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Life before football. Can't have one without the other.

Out of sheer respect for your opponent, you always want them in good health, even away from the battleground.

For sure.

I have alot banter with my soccer teams local rivals - but when one of their players was killed in a car carsh - all the cr*p goes out the window.

Im proud to say there were nothing but messages of condolence on our rivals message board from our fans.

NM

NJarhead
06-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Man I heard about this during the intermission of my two tests for Staff Segeant. I def could not concentrate on the 2nd test at all. Oh well, I am sure he will be ok, my Dad knows a guy who knows the cop I guess, and it was told to him that Ben was bleeding from the forehead area, and we have all seen wrestlers cut themselves for matches with razors there, and it bleeds like a siv (SP?). I think he will be fine, and he will learn a leasson too.

Hey Bro, they sure as heck aren't going to promote you if you can't spell it. lol. Juuuuust kindin'. What service? I'm a proud Marine Vet.

melroseplace
ahhh too many "eye witnesses"...I'm not believing anything I hear unless it comes from the Steelers/Mercy

the Steelers rep just said Dr Larry Jones will be coming out to make a statement in a few mins..

BBC

NM

You'd like to believe that wouldn't you?

From Bengals fans:

Oh, smack will ensue, and rightly so.

NOT wearing a helmet after Winslow, and then makes comments about how he's going to continue to not wear a helmet.

I don't wish for injury ON THE FIELD.

But OFF THE FIELD....if he wants to be a dumbass, then he deserves to be called one, mocked, ridiculed and laughed at.

karma is a *****

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 01:16 PM
A doctor from Mercy is going to be giving an interview in moments. He will not be taking any questions though.........

Stillers#1
06-12-2006, 01:16 PM
lol...Sergeant....and I am Air Force just got back from being in Pittsburgh on leave for a week and a half. Cant wait to come home agian in August.

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 01:17 PM
I believe a mod over them told them it would not be tolerated.

kmsteelerwr15
I sure hope hes ok and has a nice speedy recovery

NJarhead

From Bengals fans:

Since when does it matter what they say? What ground do they have to stand on? That criminal society should from now on be known as B-More West.

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 01:18 PM

From Bengals fans:

Bungals fans are just plan stupid and the fact they are talking smack about this just shows it...

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 01:19 PM
They are Bengal fans, go figure. Pathetic and sad group of people.

melroseplace
06-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Did they say how fast he was traveling?

they're just starting to calculate that..

NJarhead
06-12-2006, 01:20 PM
lol...Sergeant....and I am Air Force just got back from being in Pittsburgh on leave for a week and a half. Cant wait to come home agian in August.

Ah, leave glorious leave. Well, good luck on your test!

SSGT is still E-6 in the AF right? The AF ranks always threw me off. lol.

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Don't pin it on all Bengals fans we have some very classy ones here. Motley Nate and a few others.

SteelerFanInCA
06-12-2006, 01:21 PM
They are Bengal fans, go figure. Pathetic and sad group of people.
Amen Brother!!!

Ohio Steeler
Don't pin it on all Bengals fans we have some very classy ones here. Motley Nate and a few others.

true that I guess not all Bungals fans are that bad

ARKIESTEEL
My wife just called crying about this! Anyway i wish i didnt post anything about bengal trolls talking smack about this we just need to focus on the problem at hand and deal with that if it comes. Most of what i have seen has been well wishes so far and maybe it will stay that way

SteelerFanInCA
06-12-2006, 01:22 PM
they're just starting to calculate that..
thanks melroseplace.

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 01:22 PM
I agree. I don't really give a flying $%&# about what other fans are saying. Just hope the kid is alright.

SteelerFanInCA
06-12-2006, 01:24 PM
It'a all about Big Ben's health right now. Hopefully he's OK and this is something he can learn from.

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 01:25 PM
From the Doc: Ben is in serious but stable condition. He is currently in surgery. He's coherant, talking and making sense. Very stable. That's all he stated. He would not get into details pertaining to the surgery.

Motley Nate
06-12-2006, 01:25 PM

From Bengals fans:
C'mon Doc... don't make this sound like a generalization.

DKS is a complete waste of flesh. I'm sure the other quote was TWM. I would never be represented by someone like him nor could I ever defend something he says... but don't group us together like that.

Not quite fair to the rest of us who don't confuse life with football.

SteelerFanInCA
06-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Ben is serious but stable by the doc. In surgery. He's coherant, talking and making sense. Very stable. That's all he stated. Would not get into details pertaining to the surgery.
83, are they saying what the surgery is for?

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 01:29 PM

No, they are not getting into details pertaining to the surgery.

Friday133
06-12-2006, 01:30 PM

no they aren't at this point.

rowedf
no he did not

SteelCityMan786
Hopefully nothing MAJOR

BigSteelThrill
Ben - 1
Terry +1

.... opps wrong thread.

Best wishes to Ben and his recovery. Hopefully he gets smarter and quits riding the motorcycle. Its for stupid people. You may be a great driver, but all the other idiots on the road make it a death machine. Time to drive a Ferrari or something.

83-Steelers-43
He's a tough kid. He'll get through this just fine.

spalmer69

DKS is a complete waste of flesh. I'm sure the other quote was TWM. I would never be represented by someone like him nor could I ever defend something he says... but don't group us together like that.

yes. please dont generalize.
anyways...just stopping in to say that im sorry about this bit of news and football is SO irrelevant right now. Im praying for Ben to be ok. Its about life right now and physical well being.
from most of us over at cincybengals.com, we sincerely hope dude is ok.

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks spalmer!

BBC
06-12-2006, 01:33 PM

Not putting all of you together, just pointing out that there are still *******s out here.

I've appreciated posts from you, Spalmer, Travis. You are all good guys, and are the people that keep me posting over there.

ARKIESTEEL
06-12-2006, 01:34 PM
I cant say much other than this sucks

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 01:36 PM
What a horrible day. Overall, there seems to be some good news and some bad news. All we can do now is pray and hope the kid get's through this. I feel sick and I'm completely stunned, but I have faith.

RacerJ
06-12-2006, 01:37 PM
oh my god... my friend text messaged me saying that Big Ben was in an accident right as i got out of my classes. I can assure you i've never driven home that fast before in my life.

Thank god he's in "serious, but stable condition" and in surgery right now. My thoughts and prayers go out to him.

SteelerFanInCA
06-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Just have to keep the faith that everything will be alright.

SteelCityMan786
06-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Amen Racer. Prayers to him AND his family.

melroseplace
06-12-2006, 01:39 PM
apparently the woman driving the car who was involved in the accident is from Maine...my natural reaction was "must be a Pats fan" haha
but on a serious note I'm keeping Ben in my prayers as I'm sure thousands of people around the country are. he's young and healthy, I'm sure he'll pull through this

Cowboysfan
06-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey guys, Cowboys fan here. Just wanted to say i'm praying for Ben's recovery. Good luck!

tony hipchest
06-12-2006, 01:46 PM
it was confirmed by sirius that ben was riding his crotch rocket and not his harley. hearing that hes in surgery is a concern. its possible hes having his jaw put back together.if it is his jaw it will probably be wired shut and he'll be eating through a tube for a while. his off season conditionning would suffer but something that shouldnt keep him out of the preseason

RacerJ
06-12-2006, 01:47 PM

they have pictures and a news report from the scene

SteelCityMan786
06-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Hey guys, Cowboys fan here. Just wanted to say i'm praying for Ben's recovery. Good luck!

Thanks Cowboys. When an NFL Peer is having health problems all we can do is pray and hope that whatever happens is a good thing.

BAS
06-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Doesn't Ben's lack of concern for wearing a helmet seem to be at odds with the fact that his mother was killed in a car accident? I would think motor vehicle safety would be more important to him.

SteelerFanInCA
06-12-2006, 01:51 PM
it was confirmed by sirius that ben was riding his crotch rocket and not his harley. hearing that hes in surgery is a concern. its possible hes having his jaw put back together.if it is his jaw it will probably be wired shut and he'll be eating through a tube for a while. his off season conditionning would suffer but something that shouldnt keep him out of the preseason
Man a busted jaw sounds painful but it still better than the alternative.

stlrtruck
06-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Just praying for Ben to come through surgery and that he'll either A-take Bradshaw's advice and ride when he's retired; B-stick with the Harley (people have more respect for them on the roads; C-at least wear a helmet.

This is not a good day to be at work. People here are worried about Hurricane Alberto and my concern is for Ben, some 1400 miles away.

Pray for not only Ben but for the Dr's doing the surgery.

melroseplace
06-12-2006, 01:54 PM
thanks for the well wishes, Cowboysfan

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm hoping it's only a broken jaw. Judging that the doc stated he was in "serious" condition, I have a feeling it's a little more than that. Pure speculation on my part though.

Jimmy James
06-12-2006, 01:56 PM
For now, my only concern is that Ben is okay. I hope whatever surgery he is having goes well and he makes a speedy recovery.

We can hash out whether riding any sort of bike with or without a helmet is a wise idea at a later time.

My heart goes out to you Steelers fans and of course to Ben's family.

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 01:56 PM
For now, my only concern is that Ben is okay. I hope whatever surgery he is having goes well and he makes a speedy recovery.

We can hash out whether riding any sort of bike with or without a helmet is a wise idea at a later time.

My heart goes out to you Steelers fans and of course to Ben's family.

Thanks JJ, much appreciated.

BAS
06-12-2006, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't doubt a concussion and neck injuries which are always serious. Brain and spinal cord trauma are always concerns.

Cardsfan
06-12-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm not a football fan or anything, but when I hear of an athlete being injured or sick, I always feel the need to offer my prayers.

I am a fan of the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team. 10 days from today marks the four year anniversary of when "we" lost one of our team leaders, Darryl Kile. This may sound sappy, but it's hard to understand why it hits the fans so hard to know that one of our favorite players on a team we love so much is hurt or in my team's case, died. As a fan, you follow this team and these players for several months. You invest time, money, and heart into them. In one way, they almost became like a family member.

I saw and felt what it did to my favorite team and the players I love to lose their friend and I pray that the Steelers and their fans won't have to go through that.

Again, my prayers are with your whole organization.

-KB aka Cardsfan

blackvelvet
06-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Well, at least he's concsious. they said he talked to the doctors before undergoing surgery.

Please God, get Ben through this. Please guide him through a speedy recovery.

-blackvelvet

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks Cowboy & Cards!

AKSteeler
06-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Just in case anyone wants to see streaming footage: http://www.wpxi.com/video/9356341/index.html

tony hipchest
06-12-2006, 02:03 PM
wow. this was even the lead story in el paso's news at noon

83-Steelers-43
Thank you Cowboys and Cards. Very classy and much appreciated.

NJarhead
ESPN Radio: "Serious but stable...."

What EXACTLY does that mean?

I take that as, he's pretty banged up but they're not concerned about him expiring at the moment.

Which is really not giving away anything. It's like the weather man saying there's a 50% chance it will rain.

melroseplace
06-12-2006, 02:04 PM

my thoughts exactly

AKSteeler
06-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Just in case anyone wants to see streaming footage: http://www.wpxi.com/video/9356341/index.html

Sorry guys, it just ended it seems.

Cowboysfan
06-12-2006, 02:05 PM
They say on ESPN News(John Clayton) that they are looking for a car with Maine plates that caused the accident.

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 02:06 PM
They say on ESPN News(John Clayton) that they are looking for a car with Maine plates that caused the accident.

Well, they already have the car and the lady who hit him. ESPN is the last source I would be listening to at this point in time when dealing with this story.

NJarhead
06-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Dan Patrick (ESPN): "Stitches and a concussion."

Do surgeons do stitches? I know cosmetic surgeons do. Maybe that's all it is...

Eztarget
06-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Not to rain on the HOPE parade here but my father fell off a roof back in 2000 and was "conscious" before the medivac got there.

Being conscious means nothing. My father was touch and go for weeks after his head trauma and almost died several times. He eventually recovered but will never be the same mentally.

Let's just hope that Ben didn't do any type of brain trauma beyond a simple low grade concussion or it could get ugly.

What type of surgery is he exactly undergoing is what I'd like to know?

Cowboysfan
06-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Well, they are already have the car and the lady who hit him.

The way Clayton made it sound just now, when he said police are looking for the car with Maine plates is that Maine car may have cause him to crash into the other car.

LeXX75
Dan Patrick (ESPN): "Stitches and a concussion."

Do surgeons do stitches? I know cosmetic surgeons do. Maybe that's all it is...
Everyone is just throwing out guess's at this point

83-Steelers-43

They will not report on what type of surgery.

tony hipchest
They say on ESPN News(John Clayton) that they are looking for a car with Maine plates that caused the accident.with the personalized plates PATSLUVR:sofunny: j/k

Atlanta Dan
06-12-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't think you are in serious condition for stitches unless they are stitching up wounds to major organs.

Will be waiting for word - if it is a head injury his obstinance in refusing to wear a helmet hopefully will be lesson to everyone to buckle up and wear available protective equipment.

As others have said, the prayers are for his full recovery and then we can worry about implications for the season

NJarhead
06-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Not to rain on the HOPE parade here but my father fell off a roof back in 2000 and was "conscious" before the medivac got there.

Being conscious means nothing. My father was touch and go for weeks after his head trauma and almost died several times. He eventually recovered but will never be the same mentally.

Let's just hope that Ben didn't do any type of brain trauma beyond a simple low grade concussion or it could get ugly.

Again, all they said was stitches. I'll bet it's just a cosmetic surgeon doing them. They haven't even mentioned a cat scan or mri which would come before any head/brain surgery.

WWIIOwheelz
06-12-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm guessing surgery on his jaw, possibly wiring it shut. That pic of the windshield indicates a pretty substantial blow. Quite possibly cosmetic surgery for lacerations also.

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 02:11 PM
pic of window

http://images.ibsys.com/2006/0612/9356658.jpg

Atlanta Dan
06-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Fairly detailed P-G story posted about 5 minutes ago

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06163/697655-100.stm

meanjoecoop
Our local news reported that he was seen "picking up his teeth off the car" & asking "where am I, what state am I in?".

Bradshaw was right. Some people only learn by doing.

I heard that Pittsburgh PD is scheduling a press conference at 3pm.

kellyg77
I had three different people contact me today to let me know about Ben. I truly hope that he is okay and wish him a speedy recovery. Besides that I hope this accident jarred him at least a little so he thinks better of not wearing a helmet again.

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Everyone is just throwing out guess's at this point

Bingo. Wild stories and conflicting reports springing up in every direction.

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Our local news reported that he was seen "picking up his teeth off the car" & asking "where am I, what state am I in?".

I hope NFL netwpork puts it on if so

BlackNGold203
06-12-2006, 02:17 PM
confirmed...Pittsburgh police news briefing at 3PM EDT

RacerJ
06-12-2006, 02:19 PM
I hope NFL netwpork puts it on if so

they're gonna broadcast it live on this website whenever it comes on

Seth88101
06-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Holy Crapo! Hope he's ok! Concerned Steelers Fans from Germany!

BAS
06-12-2006, 02:23 PM
pic of window

http://images.ibsys.com/2006/0612/9356658.jpg

That looks like the windshield of my Jeep after a canadian goose flew into it.

The goose survived, btw.

SteelCityMan786
06-12-2006, 02:24 PM

No lie. There will be one. I just saw in the story from WTAE

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 02:24 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was badly hurt in a motorcycle crash Monday and undergoing surgery. The extent of his injuries was not known.

Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition, said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital.

"He was talking to me before he left for the operating room," Jones said before the operation. "He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he's very stable."

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger likes to ride without a helmet, a habit that once prompted coach Bill Cowher to lecture him on the dangers.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. The Associated Press reported it wasn't clear whether he was wearing a helmet or not.

The crash happened at an intersection at the edge of downtown at about 11:30 a.m. A pool of blood was still visible there by early afternoon.

Police spokesman Lt. Kevin Kraus said police and homicide units were investigating the crash, something standard when there is an accident with critical injuries. Kraus would give no details on the extent of Roethlisberger's injuries or if anyone else was injured.

The accident occurred on Second Avenue near the intersection of 10th Street in Pittsburgh, around 11:30 a.m. The route is one often taken in traveling to the Steelers' facility in the Southside section of the city.

Steelers backup quarterback Charlie Batch was at the emergency room. He had no comment.

A silver Chrysler New Yorker with damage to the front passenger fender was removed and Roethlisberger's bike was loaded onto a flatbed truck. Police were detouring traffic around the crash scene as onlookers and media gathered.

One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger became the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship. He was 23 when he did it last February.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

ESPN.com football writers Len Pasquarelli and John Clayton and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

melroseplace
06-12-2006, 02:28 PM
is it possible to talk if you have a broken jaw?

Fire Haley
06-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Car/bike pics

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20060613sm_benwreck01_300.jpg

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20060613sm_benwreck02_300.jpg

melroseplace
06-12-2006, 02:29 PM
wow looks like everyone knows that Steelers Fever forums are the place to come for up-to-date news:

Currently Active Users: 257 (38 members and 219 guests)

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 02:30 PM

not really

LeXX75
06-12-2006, 02:30 PM
wow looks like everyone knows that Steelers Fever forums are the place to come for up-to-date news:

Currently Active Users: 257 (38 members and 219 guests)
maybe there all here to see you.........

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Yep SF always has the latest news :smile:

BlackNGold203

depends on the nature of the fracture....

that being said..if it was bad enough to warrant emergency surgery...I doubt you could talk

Ohio Steeler
Yep SF always has the latest news :smile:

and the best fans to talk to along with the news

SteelCityMan786
06-12-2006, 02:32 PM
We are a great fansite. what can we say. They want to know the latest on Roethlisberger. something tells me if not a record breaking with our most visits we are going to get A LOT of new members.

floodcitygirl
06-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Since no one has said that they "feel sick" in the last couple of posts....I feel sick. Our prayers are with you and your family, Ben!

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 02:33 PM
We are a great fansite. what can we say. They want to know the latest on Roethlisberger. something tells me if not a record breaking with our most visits we are going to get A LOT of new members.

to bad it took Big Ben getting hurt to bring them here

Seth88101
06-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Well, lets work together. Everyone who gets new pertantant info, please post. I'm in Germany can't exactly turn on the news... thanks

SteelerzGirl
06-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Anyone else from Pennsylvania want to strangle Senator John Wozniak about now for sponsoring the bill to pass the no helmet law? Guh!

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 02:36 PM
The only major news that is going to break pertaining to this topic is the Pittsburgh police news conference in about a half hour. I doubt they will update us on his condition, but they may have more details on the how the accident occured.

SteelersWyo
06-12-2006, 02:36 PM
The car from the accident looks like most of the vehicle vs. motorcycle accidents I have investigated in my 15 years in police work. Appears the car made a left turn across Ben's path. About 80-90% of the accidents occur that way. And the driver will say " I never saw him.".

BBC
06-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Anyone else from Pennsylvania want to strangle Senator John Wozniak about now for sponsoring the bill to pass the no helmet law? Guh!

Not really. You shouldn't need a law to know that you should wear a helmet.

LeXX75
yep doesn't make sense gotta wear a seat belt in a car but not a helmet on a motorcycle........dumb

SteelerzGirl

Very true.

RacerJ
they just confirmed on fox news that there were cosmetic surgeons in there to fix some damages to his appearance...

to me that seems like it's not near as bad as initially thought

purplepenguin
06-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Doesn't Ben's lack of concern for wearing a helmet seem to be at odds with the fact that his mother was killed in a car accident? I would think motor vehicle safety would be more important to him.

Are you sure about this? I thought I just read that he and his mom were doing a Chunky Soup commercial together.

BAS
06-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Are you sure about this? I thought I just read that he and his mom were doing a Chunky Soup commercial together.

That would be his step-mom. His natural mother passed away when he was a young kid.

melroseplace
06-12-2006, 02:39 PM
maybe there all here to see you.........

that was my second guess :wave:

BBC
06-12-2006, 02:40 PM

I believe it is his step-mother in the commercial.

SteelerzGirl
yep doesn't make sense gotta wear a seat belt in a car but not a helmet on a motorcycle........dumb

Yep, and if I'm the driver of the car who kills someone on a motorcyle who isn't wearing a helmet, then I'm the one who has to live with that for the rest of my life!

Steel12
It was a Maine license plate...anybody else thinkin what I'm thinkin...damn Patriots!!!

I love ya like a play cousin Ben but wear a damn helmet...geez

purplepenguin
06-12-2006, 02:41 PM
That would be his step-mom. His natural mother passed away when he was a young kid.

I see. I was a little confused.

boLT fan
06-12-2006, 02:42 PM
I can't wait for this appear on thebrushback.com

CoolBrees
06-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Just here to offer our prayers from New Orleans. First and foremost, I hope he recovers from this 100%, then I hope to see him start preseason and have a great year, with exception to the game against us of course, then I hope we'll meet again at the big game. Nah, I take that back, there is 15 other teams I would rather see us play against in the SB. It was hard not to jump aboard that Big Ben Bandwagon 2 years ago. Well anyway, hope every thing works out.

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 02:44 PM

I happen to agree I belive you you want to ride a bike you should know that wearing a helmet is the thing to do however you do have that right to not to wear one , I dont think the state should make your mind up to if you wear one or not...

Seth88101
06-12-2006, 02:44 PM
"The extent of his injuries was not known, although ESPN reported that they were not life- or career-threatening.

Roethlisberger was in serious but very stable condition, said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital."

Good news..

Fire Haley
06-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Nobody knows for sure how serious his injuries are at this point. They still haven't said what kind of surgery is being performed. Browns fans had to wait months to find out the extent of KWII's injuries. I hope we get better news.

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Nobody knows for sure how serious his injuries are at this point. They still haven't said what kind of surgery is being performed. Browns fans had to wait months to find out the extent of KWII's injuries. I hope we get better news.

for sure

LeXX75
I happen to agree I belive you you want to ride a bike you should know that wearing a helmet is the thing to do however you do have that right to not to wear one , I dont think the state should make your mind up to if you wear one or not...
then they shouln't be tellin me and everyone else to wear a seat belt either.....

70c10
A broken jaw is not the end of the world. He'll bounce back pretty quick. Hopefully he learned something from this!. :dang:

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 02:47 PM
then they shouln't be tellin me and everyone else to wear a seat belt either.....

I also agree with that and I have been against the seat belt law for sometime, I have had to many friends killed because they had there seat belt on and if they did not they mite have made it

NotDarkYet
06-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Just stopping by to send best wishes to Ben from www.cincybengals.com Good thing is he is conscious, so its much less likely permanent damage has occurred.

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks Cool!

NJarhead
06-12-2006, 02:48 PM

But the Steelers SHOULD have excercized their right to a contract that ensured Ben wore his.

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks NotDarkYet! We here at SF appreciate it very much.

Eztarget
depends on the nature of the fracture....

that being said..if it was bad enough to warrant emergency surgery...I doubt you could talk

Adrenline does wonders to the body. I doubt he'll be able to talk later though (if it really was a broken jaw). Most people can talk when the jaw is broken but can't when it gets wired shut to heal it.

stlrtruck
According to the lastest news, the injuries include:

He's lost most of his teeth
Fractured his left nasal cavity
Broke his jaw
Has a large laceration on the back of his head
Severly injured both knees as he hit the ground

Also, a plastic surgeon has been called.

God Bless the surgeons operating on Ben. Give them the knowledge and wisdom to work on Ben.

NJarhead
06-12-2006, 02:50 PM
I also agree with that and I have been against the seat belt law for sometime, I have had to many friends killed because they had there seat belt on and if they did not they mite have made it

My Grandfather used to say the same thing, but you must admit that that scenario is rare and the reverse is all too common.

Seth88101
06-12-2006, 02:52 PM
wow, just looking through other boards, people sure are tearing into Ben.... Just look at how many people are involved in this accident, from you to me to his teamates to his coaches.

Scooper
Steelers Fever mentioned and linked to on this news blog -- www.yorkblog.com. See "Roethlisberger Update No. 1"

floodcitygirl

Broke his jaw

God Bless the surgeons operating on Ben. Give them the knowledge and wisdom to work on Ben. Thanks for the update. What's the news source?

NotDarkYet

Broke his jaw

God Bless the surgeons operating on Ben. Give them the knowledge and wisdom to work on Ben.

Man I really hope thats greatly exaggerated. Not that any of the other stuff is good to hear, but that was more expected from earlier depictions.

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 02:53 PM

Broke his jaw

News link?

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 02:53 PM
My Grandfather used to say the same thing, but you must admit that that scenario is rare and the reverse is all too common.

not really I am a Highway patrol officer here in Ohio and I have been on many crash sites and I have to say there are more cases then you hear about where if the person was not wearing there belt they would have lived...

anyway back to the topic I hope Big Ben is ok and we will be able to see him play this year for us

LeXX75
06-12-2006, 02:54 PM

Broke his jaw

if this is true and just not another guess..........he is lucky thats all that happened.......and Charlie Batch will be our QB for most if not all of next year......

Black@Gold Forever32
06-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Well this is totally shocking to me. I thought Ben was more intelligent then this. Not to wear a helmet is just asking for trouble. Wasn't Ben's real mother killed in an auto accident? So Ben should know the value of life. You are never promised tommorrow.

I really hope Big Ben comes out of this ok. I hate to make light out of this situation. But how does that Omar Jacobs pick look now? You just never know what can happen.

MichiSteeler
06-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Dear god... This is terrible, I'm praying that Big Ben is alright and returns to the same order he was before..

melroseplace
06-12-2006, 02:56 PM
well I'm heading out...I'm sure by the time I get back tonight this thread will have hundreds of pages seeing as we're already up to 21 and it's only been a couple hours since the accident. Ben will be in my thoughts, I'm praying there will be good news posted when I'm on next!

Steel - X
06-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Man I hope he is alright this is making me feel really sick. Not because I am a fan of the team its because I am a fan of him, he seemed to be a great guy in the community seemed like a class act. I dont understand wearing a helmet or why you wouldnt I have never owned a bike of my own but if I did I think I would wear one. Good luck Ben I hope you are alright.

To those speculating and reading every article on the net you can find dont it will make it worse. Just wait until the final word is spoken.

Haiku_Dirtt
06-12-2006, 02:58 PM
And this is why I agreed with Terry Bradshaw's comments. For that I got reamed out a few times by fellow fans.

I am on record with you and took the heat just like I just did with ripping Santonio Holmes. Their actions off the field DO MATTER. The money they make comes with sacrifice.

Cake and eat it too. Uh. No.

SteelerFanInCA
News link?

SteelCityMan786

More reasons to Elect Lynn Swann for governor.

fergusonat
06-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Wow, I can't believe this...definitely praying for Big Ben to pull through. Just watched a video that says this crash came about 13 months after Cowher had that talk with him about taking risks...

creepy...

What sucks the most is that a lot of the injuries could have been completely avoided :dang:

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 03:00 PM

Thanks....................I think? I was hoping there was no such thing.

floodcitygirl
06-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks....................I think? I was hoping there was no such thing. Exactly!

fergusonat
06-12-2006, 03:02 PM
This is sickening...the knee injury thing scares the shit out of me

RacerJ
06-12-2006, 03:03 PM
anyone know if/when the news report is gonna be?

SteelerFanInCA
06-12-2006, 03:03 PM
I hear you 83.

harrahs80
06-12-2006, 03:04 PM
this is some very horrible news get well soon ben

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 03:04 PM
They said a conference at 3pm.

LeXX75
06-12-2006, 03:05 PM
well I'm heading out...I'm sure by the time I get back tonight this thread will have hundreds of pages seeing as we're already up to 21 and it's only been a couple hours since the accident. Ben will be in my thoughts, I'm praying there will be good news posted when I'm on next!
I fear its gonna take alot longer than tonight tell this all shakes out......

BlackNGold203
06-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Not sure how a police report can ascertain "serious knee injuries"

OK..I'm praying.....

theropodx
This is sickening...the knee injury thing scares the shit out of me

Yeah, everybody is talking about the jaw, but it's worse than that. The news says he also "broke his left sinus cavity." That's part of the skull. It's next to the brain. This could have been fatal. It is still VERY serious.

Skinsfan28
Hello everybody, Redskins fan here to wish Ben the best in his recovery.
I have done some stupid $hit in my days and lived so , I won't be one to say anything about helmets.
Just want to say good luck to Ben and the fans here.

I am also a Steeler fan when they are not playing the Redskins.

WWIIOwheelz
06-12-2006, 03:07 PM
The knees. No!!

that would explain collapsing when trying to get up. Oh, this is bad.

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm hoping his knees were just scraped up or something.

AKSteeler
06-12-2006, 03:08 PM
This was posted on another Steelers board...so take it for what it's worth...not a news source.

"My buddy (who is a Dr. at UPMC, and Ben's neighbor...they hang out together) just got off the phone with his friend that is an ER MD at UPMC...All accounts are true in the report above...as per the knee damage, it is major road rash, but as far as can be seen, no structural damage."

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks RedskinsFan much appreciated!

SteelerzGirl
I'm hoping his knees were just scraped up or something.

Boy, me too, Pros... Me, too. :frown:

DiggetyDank
Any news on the press conference? My damn cable doesn't get ESPNEWS and it's not airing on any of the channels here yet. Is it online?

Atlanta Dan
06-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks to all who keep this board up and running, together with all the posters' updates.

Attempting to access the Pittsburgh news Internet sites this afternoon is next to impossible.

fergusonat
06-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Yeah DiggetyDank, I have no clue how to see it either!

Atlanta Dan
06-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Any news from the 3 pm Pittsburgh PD press conference? I assume that will not disclose medical issues

SteelerFanInCA
06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
I hope the road rash on his knees is the worst possible scenario.

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Yeah, on that note, I'm going out and buying a bottle of Belvedere and throw a few back.

floodcitygirl
06-12-2006, 03:13 PM
I tried to pull up the conference and can't get it! News or directions, please!

Skinsfan28
06-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks RedskinsFan much appreciated!

No problem , I will pop in from time to time to keep up with things and talk football.

My thoughts are with you all.

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Haven't seen it yet. I keep flipping between KDKA and NFL Network.

fergusonat
06-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Dammit, I gotta get ready for my damn graduation now...I wish I could stay on here to hear all the updates! Hopefully when I come back, things have been sort of cleared up and there is good news!

SteelCityPride
06-12-2006, 03:16 PM
I am on record with you and took the heat just like I just did with ripping Santonio Holmes. Their actions off the field DO MATTER. The money they make comes with sacrifice.

Cake and eat it too. Uh. No.

I completely agree with this statement, I have talked to people forever about this type of thing. Playing a professional sport is not just a priveledge but it comes with many responsibilities and one is to be a role model. When you step into the spotlight like this, whether you like it or not, a resposinble person needs to take special precautions to watch their every step. I played football all my life and have always told people I would play at the next level if someone offered me room and board. Being able to make millions and play football is an amazing opporunity and guys need to be able to keep themselves from being in the bars, taking drugs and doing other dangerous activities that could have a negative affect on not only themselves, but their teammates who rely on them and the fans. The fans are the ones who give these guys job, who pay them their multimillion dollar salaries and when something like this happens they become like our siblings and we watch over this just as closely as if it were our own brother.

Now, I love Ben and pray that he gets better quickly. I just hope that from this everyone in this league learns that they need to minimize the chances they have to become injured. I know the hearts of many steelers fans right now are in the bottom of our stomach and I know that he was one of the biggest parts of our team. I live and die black and gold and when this happened this morning I didn't even know how to react. good luck to everyone out there, stay cool and everyone will get through it together. The Steelers Nation is most certainly the strongest group of fans in the NFL. Stay tough.

BBC
Haven't seen it yet. I keep flipping between KDKA and NFL Network.

Is the NFL Network showing anything? Last I saw was In Their Own Words: Donovan McNabb.

Steelers_Girl
I've been in shock since I heard.
I woke up and my brother had just had got the call from my other brother.

According to a police source, Roethlisberger suffered a broken jaw, broke his left sinus cavity, suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost many teeth and has severe injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement

F*ck. Be Okay Ben. Please.

Prosdo
06-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Right now it's Jerome Bettis In Their Own Words

SteelCityMan786
06-12-2006, 03:22 PM
I've been in shock since I heard.
I woke up and my brother had just had got the call from my other brother.

F*ck. Be Okay Ben. Please.

Aggreed I would give you rep but I am out.