PDA

View Full Version : Cowher next headcoaching job

effyou515
10-24-2011, 09:34 AM
http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/21204/Report--Bill-Cowher-will-be-high-on-Miami-Dolphins-list/Default.aspx

Peter King says he's on Miami's radar.

bornaSteelersfan
10-24-2011, 09:57 AM
After yesterday's game, Miami also has Mike Ditka and John Madden on their radar.

Steelerfreak58
10-24-2011, 10:14 AM
He would be a fool to take that job. Miami has zip on both sides of the ball in a tough division. Unless he is really looking for a full on challenge and gets a long term contract to try to turn that team around.

stb_steeler
10-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Cowher already stated he wouldnt coach Miami, maybe they offering him a big check :noidea:

MDSteel15
10-24-2011, 10:58 AM
I could see him taking over for Any Reid in Philly since he played there! :noidea:

steelfury02
10-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Yea - and the same owner is talking to Urban Meyer - and isn't that on the completely opposite end of the spectrum than Cowher . . .

My guess is the only way Cowher is wooed back is

A. Being the highest paid coach in the league - and I'm talking somewhere in the tune of 10 to 12 million / yr at least (more than what the Hoodie is making)

B. Has complete say so in staff

C. Has complete say so in players

D. Has some proven leaders (not just big mouth names) on both sides of the ball who still have a lot left to give

E. Has the ownership that is patient enough to realize Rome can't be built in a day. If any coach can turn a team around quickly I believe it is Cowher - but there is no guarantee.

F. Has the right QB situation or knows there is that 1 guy he can draft that put his stamp on the team

G. He didn't even want to go to the Cowboys - who are at the least fairly competitive, have tons of talent - and thats because it isnt the perfect situation - maybe if you had an owner like Rooney there instead of Jerry but no

H. The guy is only going to take the perfect situation with a team he knows he can build to compete for a ring

Dino 6 Rings
10-24-2011, 11:02 AM
San Diego after Norv gets fired after another 1 and done season if they even make the playoffs.

SmashmouthFootball
10-24-2011, 11:03 AM
I still think Cowher is going to have a tough time leaving CBS. He literally has the best job in the world. Gets paid well to have fun, watch and analyze football.

I'm sure the cocaching fire inside him will get him back into the league someday, possibly to whoever wins the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

steelfury02
10-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Colts are going to pick him up I think. They've just had the realization that Manning makes everyone seem better than what they are - no spirit on that team. I'm sure they are thinking about completely tanking it.

Even when Manning returns - they have zero options after he goes down and I have a feeling we are seeing the start of the end for him

pancake
10-24-2011, 11:44 AM
I have heard he likes the G-men job.

PhantomJB93
10-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Cowher WILL NOT coach Miami. At least not within the next 2-3 years.

Actually, I don't think Cowher's gonna come back for a while period, regardless of team

Fire Arians
10-24-2011, 12:37 PM
they should hire jim mora sr.

steelfury02
10-24-2011, 12:43 PM
"PLAYOFFS!?!?"

Fire Arians
10-24-2011, 12:51 PM
what it all boils down to is we got our ass totally kicked in the 2nd half. we couldn't do diddly poo offensively, we sucked. we didn't run the ball, we didn't try to run the ball, everytime they got the ball they got points, it sucked, we stunk

pete74
10-24-2011, 12:56 PM
it would be a great job because they will have andrew luck next year

Steelers>NFL
10-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Giants or Bears!

stb_steeler
10-24-2011, 03:12 PM
THIS JUST IN: Sorry to burst everyones bubble, Cowher is completely happy at his present job...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/pudders72/Bill.jpg

Buddha Bus
10-24-2011, 03:17 PM
THIS JUST IN: Sorry to burst everyones bubble, Cowher is completely happy at his present job...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/pudders72/Bill.jpg

:toofunny:

Funny.... he doesn't look too happy. :sofunny:

stb_steeler
10-24-2011, 03:21 PM
:toofunny:

Funny.... he doesn't look too happy. :sofunny:

He's passing gas.......:rofl:

tony hipchest
10-24-2011, 03:25 PM
why would cowher want to leave his current career where he makes about half the pay for 1/20th of the work and time put in?

people finally quit talking about jimmy johnsons next coaching stop and soon it will be so with cowher.

jon gruden squashed all grumblings by signing a new 5 year deal to remain in the booth. once these guys realize how good they got it, it is tough for them to leave it.

Buddha Bus
10-24-2011, 03:28 PM
He's passing gas.......:rofl:

The look on his face indicates it could be a little more than just gas. That's definitely a shart face. http://r28.imgfast.net/users/2815/14/51/45/smiles/3798349058.gif

tony hipchest
10-24-2011, 03:34 PM
everybody is forgetting that bill cowher said at the 2008 International Used Car Salesman Convention in cleveland that if he ever coached again, it would be with the browns. :toofunny:

MACH1
10-24-2011, 03:39 PM
:chuckle:

OX1947
10-24-2011, 03:59 PM
If Cowher goes into the Hall of Fame this January, he should stay at CBS and call it a Hall of Fame 15 year career. The man went to 6 AFC title games, 2 Super Bowls and won a Super Bowl, coached probably 4 Hall of Famers and did it all with a budget and zero Qb in the 90s and was awesome in the 2000's once he got his franchise Qb.

BUT, if he does come back, Miami would be the place if they get Luck.

tony hipchest
10-24-2011, 04:02 PM
If Cowher goes into the Hall of Fame this January, he should stay at CBS and call it a Hall of Fame 15 year career. The man went to 6 AFC title games, 2 Super Bowls and won a Super Bowl, coached probably 4 Hall of Famers and did it all with a budget and zero Qb in the 90s and was awesome in the 2000's once he got his franchise Qb.

BUT, if he does come back, Miami would be the place if they get Luck.steelers also had the nfl's highest win % during cowhers 15 years (well maybe the favre led packers were tied but still...).

Steeldude
10-24-2011, 04:51 PM
you know, al davis is gone now. i am not saying he will go to the raiders, but it's not considered a horrible team to play for as it once was under davis

PhantomJB93
10-24-2011, 05:03 PM
you know, al davis is gone now. i am not saying he will go to the raiders, but it's not considered a horrible team to play for as it once was under davis

Considering they've given up their entire foreseeable future for Carson Palmer, I'd say it's really not a good situation to enter right now...

If anything I'd argue the team has gone into an even worse state since Al's death...

FanSince72
10-24-2011, 05:38 PM

BUT, if he does come back, Miami would be the place if they get Luck.

Don't forget that he also perfected "Martyball" and the "Play not to lose" Turtle philosophy (which always made games far more exciting than they ever needed to be and turned far too many blowouts into nail-biters).
He also offered a ready shoulder whenever Kordell needed one to cry on.

OX1947
10-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Don't forget that he also perfected "Martyball" and the "Play not to lose" Turtle philosophy (which always made games far more exciting than they ever needed to be and turned far too many blowouts into nail-biters).
He also offered a ready shoulder whenever Kordell needed one to cry on.

He only lost 1 game and tied another when up 11 or more at any point of the game. That is a nasty stat. Its one thing to have an 11 point lead going into the 4th, but to actually have an 11 point lead at any point of the game and know you are going to win, is crazy good. Cowher QB's before Big Ben:

Neil O'Donnell
Mike Tomzack
Kordell Stewart
Kent Graham
Tommy Maddox

You tell me you wouldnt play Marty ball with those guys playing QB? If Cowher had Big Ben right off the bat like Belichick had with Brady, Cowher would have won 3 Super Bowl's too.

Fire Arians
10-24-2011, 08:16 PM
He only lost 1 game and tied another when up 11 or more at any point of the game. That is a nasty stat. Its one thing to have an 11 point lead going into the 4th, but to actually have an 11 point lead at any point of the game and know you are going to win, is crazy good. Cowher QB's before Big Ben:

Neil O'Donnell
Mike Tomzack
Kordell Stewart
Kent Graham
Tommy Maddox

You tell me you wouldnt play Marty ball with those guys playing QB? If Cowher had Big Ben right off the bat like Belichick had with Brady, Cowher would have won 3 Super Bowl's too.

O'donnell was a good QB. i think we would have won another sb if we kept him. Those same teams that made it to the AFCCG under kordell stewart would have steamrolled the competition if it were odonnell instead at QB

mikegrimey
10-24-2011, 08:36 PM

Neil O'Donnell
Mike Tomzack
Kordell Stewart
Kent Graham
Tommy Maddox

Thanks for bringing some sanity in here. PErhaps this poster confused Cowher with Tomlin --- one thing Bill could do, was close out a game. There weren't a lot of "blowouts" that turned into "nail-biters" in the Cowher era, Tomlin era, that's another thing.

GMU Steeler
10-24-2011, 09:39 PM
I think he's done but then again Joe Gibbs and Dick Vermill both took long absences and came back. I think Cowher was a very good coach. Remember, the team had been struggling a little in the later part of the Noll years and Cowher came in and got 5 winning seasons right off the bat. I think if he had a better QB most of his tenure, he'd had have won at least one SB before XL. I'm happy with Tomlin so this isn't badmouthing him but Cowher was a very good coach. There's a reason why fans of other teams always hope their team is coveting him.

JCPsteelers
10-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Cowher's offense with Luck would be 60% runs.

effyou515
10-25-2011, 12:29 AM
check out some of the players Noll left Cowher.

FanSince72
10-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Thanks for bringing some sanity in here. PErhaps this poster confused Cowher with Tomlin --- one thing Bill could do, was close out a game. There weren't a lot of "blowouts" that turned into "nail-biters" in the Cowher era, Tomlin era, that's another thing.

OK, maybe "blowout" was the wrong word.

Let's just say that Cowher's "protect" mode made games a lot closer than they ever needed to be. I can't count how many times I watched Cowher get a lead and then automatically go into field-goal mode even when he had many golden opportunities to put the game away if he'd just kept playing the way we were playing.

Tell me you don't remember many times having the ball inside the opponent's 30 and seeing Cowher call three straight runs up the middle with no intention to score but rather to set the ball up on the correct hashmark even though our offense was moving the ball well all game long.
In my opinion, he played for field goals way too often when he should have just let the team play and though he may have closed out some games, we also lost our share of close ones that should never have been so close to begin with.
I'm not saying that Tomlin has some big-time "killer instinct, but I know that Cowher sure as hell didn't.

Remember what Ben said to him during SB XL?
"Coach, let play to win...let's not play not to lose, OK?"

When a second-year QB says that to a 15-year head coach during the biggest game of both their lives, that says something.