PDA

View Full Version : Ben is "stable", so what now?

BigBen2WardPITT
06-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Ok so he seems alright, and as much as i love Big Ben we must start to think about the FOOTBALL side of this, sense big bens life, is, well football.

When will he become back? how long is an optimistic view? how long is a negative view?

Ok he list his teeth, non attractive, but u can play football without them

fractured left sinus cavity bone, thats fixable, and you can play football with that hurt, it would have to heal before he plays

9 inch laceration? that could hurt, bad, for football, it would have to heal before he plays

broken jaw, would have to heal before he plays

SEVERELY injured BOTH of his knees. Know this is the kicker. This is quite bad.

All of these things are fixable, but some of them could hinder him forever, am i correct?

Horrible, just horrible.

anotherbroncosfan
06-12-2006, 04:50 PM
I can't keep track of what I saw where, but I read he sprained both knees. I hope I'm being realistic and not a polyanna, but that's got to be good news, right? You can recover from a knee sprain fairly quickly, I hope?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
06-12-2006, 04:54 PM
i think we should wait until Ben is out of surgery and we know hes okay before we start talking FOOTBALL.......Just let it go for now....
Football will come soon enough

Livinginthe past
06-12-2006, 04:58 PM
The best way to work through this, I think, is to take things one step at a time.

Ben could have easily been killed outright today - so lets thanks our lucky stars for that first.

Ben could have been in a vegetative state right of the bat - he isn't, so thats more good news.

I think some people need to get some perspective here - football and this upcoming season is way down on Bens list of 'things to do'

Let get him walking, talking and functioning normally before we get into football talk and back up QB's.

NM

Big7Ben
06-12-2006, 05:02 PM
I just heard on KDKA that his sprained knees where a threat to his career, but they also said that they weren't that bad! SO! I think they will heal quickly enough...

DIESELMAN
06-12-2006, 05:03 PM
The best way to work through this, I think, is to take things one step at a time.

Ben could have easily been killed outright today - so lets thanks our lucky stars for that first.

Ben could have been in a vegetative state right of the bat - he isn't, so thats more good news.

I think some people need to get some perspective here - football and this upcoming season is way down on Bens lost of 'things to do'

Let get him walking, talking and functioning normally before we get into football talk and back up QB's.

NM

EXACTLY!!!!! He isn't out of surgery yet or just got out of surgery whatever the case may be.....Football is very secondary right now.......Everyone needs to take a deep breath and Thank God that Ben is alive and will be well in the near future.....Wondering about questions concerning football and when is he coming back is way too soon to answer and should be the last thing on our minds for now.

SteelCityMan786
06-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Big Ben according to reports I saw earlier is in serious but stable condition.

BigBen2WardPITT
06-12-2006, 05:22 PM
and i do thank god but from a sports perspective now you got to think about how long he will be out. The first thing i said when i heard was "oh no our season", im not going to lie, but thats becase my friend kinda joked about it when he told me. Then i read that he was stable, and that made me feel better, and he was talking, etc. So then i am at the stage of whats next?

good luck ben in the hospital of course though!

Mosca
06-12-2006, 05:23 PM
I just heard on KDKA that his sprained knees where a threat to his career, but they also said that they weren't that bad! SO! I think they will heal quickly enough...

I wonder if WPXI has anything more in depth?

Santonio4
06-12-2006, 05:24 PM
He knows where he is so thats a good sign

SteelCityMan786
06-12-2006, 05:28 PM
and i do thank god but from a sports perspective now you got to think about how long he will be out. The first thing i said when i heard was "oh no our season", im not going to lie, but thats becase my friend kinda joked about it when he told me. Then i read that he was stable, and that made me feel better, and he was talking, etc. So then i am at the stage of whats next?

good luck ben in the hospital of course though!

I think he'll miss at least a month They're gonna just let him recover and get back to normal first. Then get him back into the normal grove.

Santonio4
06-12-2006, 05:29 PM
ESPN.com's John Clayton has confirmed a report that Roethlisberger also suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost teeth and has knee injuries from hitting the pavement. A plastic surgeon has been called in.

Ohio Steeler
06-12-2006, 05:41 PM
I think he'll miss at least a month They're gonna just let him recover and get back to normal first. Then get him back into the normal grove.

one can hope

TasmanianTroy271
06-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Here's my 2 cents :

First off, I'm glad that Ben is OK; we all know this could have been alot worse. But I think we should all agree that we're both Ben Roethlisberger fans and Steeler fans. For the BR Fan in us, we all pray for his recovery, but the Steeler fan in us is allowed to wonder about the future without being berated. Just because we look into the future doesn't mean we don't care about Ben. It means we're fans of the man AND the organization, and we want both to do well.

Second, on the helmet issue. I have 4 uncles and a brother who ride motorcycles without helmets. From what i've heard, if you crash going over 50 mph, the only thing a helmet is gonna do is make sure the police know where your head is. Am I a fan of the whole No Helmet thing? I'm indifferent. Am I gonna berate Ben for not being a role-model and not protecting himself? No, It's his choice. Just because I may have bought his jersey doesn't mean i bought the right to tell him how to live.

Third, I am confident in Charlie and Omar in this season. I know Charlie can keep us at least .500 this season, and who knows Omar's potential? I'm not worried we'll lose without Ben, but I sure as hell want him back here ASAP.

Fourth, (and probably the one which'll either make you laugh or hate me)*, Ben surely thought of his football career during the crash. I mean, If i told you a story about a football player who broke a fall with his face as opposed to his knees, which team do you think that player would be on? The Pittsburgh Steelers, all the way. I mean, I for one hope Ben DOESN'T get dentures. Could you imagine? he'll look more scary then Jack Lambert! Talk about intimidation. And could you imagine the marketing? Sure, Tom Brady may be cute, but whenever you have a QB with no teeth and a jaw swollen larger than Cowher's... I mean, That's something to market!

*The last paragraph was simply typed in a joking manner. Take it with a lump of salt, or whatever the saying is. You can hate me for it or not. I don't care

SteelersGirlTN7
06-12-2006, 08:39 PM
according to the EspNews ... all the surgery was done above the neck ... and the knee injuries were minor ...

let's just all thank god that ben made it through this alive! We can worry about the rest later .. it could have been SO much worse!

Get well soon Ben!

SteelShooter
06-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Here's my 2 cents :

First off, I'm glad that Ben is OK; we all know this could have been alot worse. But I think we should all agree that we're both Ben Roethlisberger fans and Steeler fans. For the BR Fan in us, we all pray for his recovery, but the Steeler fan in us is allowed to wonder about the future without being berated. Just because we look into the future doesn't mean we don't care about Ben. It means we're fans of the man AND the organization, and we want both to do well.

Second, on the helmet issue. I have 4 uncles and a brother who ride motorcycles without helmets. From what i've heard, if you crash going over 50 mph, the only thing a helmet is gonna do is make sure the police know where your head is. Am I a fan of the whole No Helmet thing? I'm indifferent. Am I gonna berate Ben for not being a role-model and not protecting himself? No, It's his choice. Just because I may have bought his jersey doesn't mean i bought the right to tell him how to live.

Third, I am confident in Charlie and Omar in this season. I know Charlie can keep us at least .500 this season, and who knows Omar's potential? I'm not worried we'll lose without Ben, but I sure as hell want him back here ASAP.

Fourth, (and probably the one which'll either make you laugh or hate me)*, Ben surely thought of his football career during the crash. I mean, If i told you a story about a football player who broke a fall with his face as opposed to his knees, which team do you think that player would be on? The Pittsburgh Steelers, all the way. I mean, I for one hope Ben DOESN'T get dentures. Could you imagine? he'll look more scary then Jack Lambert! Talk about intimidation. And could you imagine the marketing? Sure, Tom Brady may be cute, but whenever you have a QB with no teeth and a jaw swollen larger than Cowher's... I mean, That's something to market!

*The last paragraph was simply typed in a joking manner. Take it with a lump of salt, or whatever the saying is. You can hate me for it or not. I don't care

TasTroy,

I parallel most of your views, good on ya for speaking your mind! Reps to ya on that!
The helmet issue...we differ slightly, not a lot, but slightly. I used to ride, will again in the near future...but I always wore a helmet. The 50mph thing, that all depends on the type of fall/impact. I fell a few times (dirt-biking back then) and I believe the helmet made a difference. Heck, a person can fall from a standing position and die or suffer some form of permanent damage if the strike is right. Although not from Pittsburgh and not familiar with that intersection, I cannot see a 50mph collision from the description in the various articles. I DO believe that a majority of his injuries could have been negated with the use of a helmet.

I do agree that his wearing the helmet is, in fact, a personal choice. But I also know that he is the role model for a lot of our younger people. And I also believe that his health is a concern of the organization. There is a reason that a number of teams have health concerns written into player's contracts for this very reason. They have invested a large amount of money in a player and expect a "reasonable" guarantee on some type of return in the manner of a player being healthy enough to play. Signing bonuses and other guaranteed pays are lost if the player cannot play at all.

So, in essence, sure there is personal choice. But, like in the military, you are not forced to "sign on the dotted line" and to some degree give up some, but not all, of your choices or personal rights. Hell, in the military, we are considered "Government Property" and are held accountable, to a degree, for our health and well-being.

It's a double-edged sword.............