PDA

View Full Version : Where do we go from here?

Stillers#1
06-12-2006, 10:12 PM
I know this is probably a bit early, and I am not trying to be cold-hearted at all, but what do we do now as far as out quarterback situation. I don't really see Ben being ready until the 3rd week of the season. With his jaw being wired for 5-7 weeks, he is going to lose all kind of weight. I'm not even taking into consideration the mental hurdles he his going to be facing. Being the same age as Ben, I know I would have a hard time after losing teeth, and breaking my nose, he is going to look a bit different.

I guess since we won't hear anything new about this until tomorrow, I would rather specualte with you guys about what the Steelers will do. I can see Batch as a starter (he got the Lions into playoffs didn't he, or am I way off on this one). After that we have Omar Jacobs and Rob Rutherford on the depth chart. Does anyone know anyting I don't? Your guys' thoughts are appreciated.

Get well BEN.

steelerfan12
06-12-2006, 10:15 PM
I know this is probably a bit early, and I am not trying to be cold-hearted at all, but what do we do now as far as out quarterback situation. I don't really see Ben being ready until the 3rd week of the season. With his jaw being wired for 5-7 weeks, he is going to lose all kind of weight. I'm not even taking into consideration the mental hurdles he his going to be facing. Being the same age as Ben, I know I would have a hard time after losing teeth, and breaking my nose, he is going to look a bit different.

I guess since we won't hear anything new about this until tomorrow, I would rather specualte with you guys about what the Steelers will do. I can see Batch as a starter (he got the Lions into playoffs didn't he, or am I way off on this one). After that we have Omar Jacobs and Rob Rutherford on the depth chart. Does anyone know anyting I don't? Your guys' thoughts are appreciated.

Get well BEN.
we would prob. start with batch because he is pretty good! i just hope ben recovers quickly because obviously he is a great QB and a good man at heart. omar jacobs wouldnt start because he is still fighting to get on the roster. if he did make the roster they would only play him in the pre season or is ben and batch were out!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Ive been reading up about it all over the net, and getting all the info I could. Most recent updates are that the team will not try to go after any of his contract money for not being able to play right now, mainly becuase it looks like he'll be ready to play at some point in mid training camp and preseason. He'll be able to do light drills and walk throughs till then atleast. He'll be able to attend meetings and still work out just not at the usual pace you'd like from your starting QB getting ready for the season.

If need be, Batch will be the man to help us through till Ben is back. I have all the confidence in Charlie to hold down the fort till our starter is ready to go.

Stillers#1
06-13-2006, 12:54 AM
I just hope he will be ready to go, this is a pretty big deal, I have no doubts he will bounce back physically, but mentally I am worried.

Ohio Steeler
06-13-2006, 01:56 AM
I just hope he will be ready to go, this is a pretty big deal, I have no doubts he will bounce back physically, but mentally I am worried.

so do I and the rest of steeler nation, however I dont want him to rush coming back he and the steelers butter make sure he is ready...

section514
06-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Mike and Mike in the morning made a comment about maybe getting Kerry Collins...not too sure how I feel about that

ARKIESTEEL
06-13-2006, 07:37 AM
Ben will be fine and we dont need him game one to beat the fins any how

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 08:24 AM

My feelings are the total opposite. Mentally, the kid is tough. His physical injuries (knees in particular) are what concern me.

Suitanim
06-13-2006, 08:28 AM
I heard 6-8 weeks, minimum, but that if his jaw seperated, and they had to put plates in, he's out for 6 months minimum.

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 08:38 AM
I heard 6-8 weeks, minimum, but that if his jaw seperated, and they had to put plates in, he's out for 6 months minimum.

If that is the case, I can live with that for sure.

Ambridge
06-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Mike and Mike in the morning made a comment about maybe getting Kerry Collins...not too sure how I feel about that

Collins has got to be the last veteran FA out there who still has the potential to flash a little bit.
I'd sign him just for no other reason than an extra insurance policy at QB just for this season.

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 08:47 AM
While I would not start Collins, I think he would fill the role of backing up Batch. I know I'm not comfortable heading into the season with Batch, Jacobs and Rutherford (if he makes the team).

Who else is really out there? Fiedler?

Santonio4
06-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Big Ben is going to be fine and he is going to play.

BlackNGold203
06-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Batch can get it done...but he tends to be a bit injury prone....If Ben is going to miss any time at all...I think Collins is a viable backup to Batch....the organization will do the right thing...they always do

RichmondVA
06-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Ben should recover from the injuries everyone has talked about by some point and play well for the Steelers this season. The injury I fear he also has and nobody has mention is a concusion. I beleive that once you have been concoused... you are more apt to become concoused again and again. I pray that will not keep him off the field later in his career.

On a lighter side... is it true that Carson Palmer was driving the car that cut Ben off?

Ambridge
06-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Who else is really out there? Fiedler?
I'd pass on Fiedler.
Fiedler had shoulder surgery towards the end of last season, similar to Chad Penningtons rotator cuff injury if I'm not mistaken. Coincidently both Fiedler and Pennington were knocked out of the same against Jacksonville.

Collins still has a decent arm and I'd ditch Rutherford in a second to make room on the roster for Kerry.

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 09:04 AM
I'd pass on Fiedler.
Fiedler had shoulder surgery towards the end of last season, similar to Chad Penningtons rotator cuff injury if I'm not mistaken. Coincidently both Fiedler and Pennington were knocked out of the same against Jacksonville.

Collins still has a decent arm and I'd ditch Rutherford in a second to make room on the roster.

I agree. I'm just trying to figure out who is really out there besides Collins. Everybody has been signed for the most part.

Ambridge
06-13-2006, 09:15 AM
I agree. I'm just trying to figure out who is really out there besides Collins. Everybody has been signed for the most part.

The only other names I can think of:

Vinny Testaverde http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/icons/icon13.gif
Tim Couch http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/icons/icon13.gif
Quincy Carter http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

Ohio Steeler
06-13-2006, 09:18 AM
guys all all of this talk about who to bring in we have yet to hear how long Ben will be out, and I really dont see the steelers going out and signing someone if Ben is not going to be out but a few games.

Lets take it one day at a time until we hear how bad Ben is

tony hipchest
06-13-2006, 09:19 AM
jeff george is always willing to make a comeback.

what? nobody wants kordell? lol

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 09:20 AM
The only other names I can think of:

Vinny Testaverde http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/icons/icon13.gif
Tim Couch http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/icons/icon13.gif
Quincy Carter http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

Eeeek......lol, alrighty then. Collins it may be if Ben is not ready.

steelerfan12
06-13-2006, 09:21 AM
My feelings are the total opposite. Mentally, the kid is tough. His physical injuries (knees in particular) are what concern me.
ya but today the doctor said there was NO knee injurys at all just a broken jaw and nose!

Ambridge
06-13-2006, 01:00 PM
No, no, no, no! Anyone but him! I had to watch that bum play all season out here in the Bay Area, and he was enough to singlehandedly screw up the Raiders' entire offense. He's the Tommy Maddox of the West Coast, only maybe a little less mobile. People were booing him all year.

All of which was fine, as long as he was playing for the frigg'n Raiders. But I don't want to see that guy anywhere NEAR a team I actually like.

You could have probably put Ben, Manning, Brady and the rest of the elite NFL QB's in Oakland last season and they would have looked equally bad.
The Raiders have downgraded themselves even further at Quarterback by getting Aaron Brooks for the 06 season.

Ambridge
06-13-2006, 03:10 PM
No way the Raiders' offense would have been that bad with a legitimate quarterback taking the snaps. It's just not that Collins was bad -- the WAY he was bad really reminded me of Maddox. A LOT.

Poor mobility, wide-open guys overthrown or underthrown by ridiculous margins, easy to bring down, and he absolutely panicks under pressure. I mean completely loses his s**t. That sound familiar? And to top it off, I'm not even sure if he's so great at learning a new system... The Raiders kept trying to change theirs because Collins couldn't make the existing one work. The Steelers would be better off just playing with NO quarterback.

I hear what your saying, but with Norv Turner who was the "Assistant Head Coach" under Al Davis and with a very underachieving offensive line and a pretty poor defense Collins was in a no win situation.
At least Collins can still throw the ball, Maddox's arm turned into Jello last year.:cool:

Suitanim
06-14-2006, 08:49 AM
I sincerely doubt the Steelers even consider signing another QB. All indications are that Ben will be back at some point this year, maybe even as soon as the opener. They are carrying 4 QB's (Provided Rutherford is still on the roster), and any FA signing is going to cost them at least a million bucks for a guy is just going to get cut anyway.

I'll take this opportunity to affirm my faith in Batch as back-up, too. Sure, he had some rough times in Detroit, but that was not a prticularly good football team he was playing on, and he also had some flashes of greatness. To assert that Maddox would be a better back-up doesn't work either, since Batch quickly surpassed him on the depth chart last year, and the Steelers (who know a thing or two about evaluating players talent, ESPECIALLY players on the decline) released Maddox, not Batch. If we have to play Batch for a few games, while it's a significant drop-off in talent, he still can be effective enough on a very talented Steelers team to win.