PDA

View Full Version : Running backs

Hirsch
10-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Why dont we use somebody other than Mendenhall more? If you go by yards per carry our back field should be reversed. Mendenhall 3.7 Redman 4.4 Moore 5.8 Dwyer 8.8. What gives?:banging:

Pa Yankee
10-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Usually starters will have a lower average ypc than a situational back because of the defense not being prepared. When we used Redman more often his ypc dropped from somewhere around 5 ypc to 4.4. It may have dropped further if we continued to run Rashard.
Dwyer's high ypc is mostly because of his 76 yard run.

PhantomJB93
10-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Comparing YPC is dumb when comparing RBs who have increasingly lower carries with increasingly higher YPC. You carry the ball more, you're gonna get stopped more.

Sean95m
10-27-2011, 11:20 PM
First of all the O line is a patch work group, meaning no stretch once this season when the same group worked together, Dwyer's avge per carry is inflated because of his ONE break away run!

skinart82
10-27-2011, 11:27 PM
I would like to see more Dwyer, I think he would be the one to wear a defense down. Pisses me off when I see Moore come in on running downs.

Fire Arians
10-28-2011, 01:18 AM
mendenhall is the type of runner that would benefit greatly from a fullback. what we need to do is fire arians and use a real fullback

casteeler
10-28-2011, 01:52 AM
Until the Offensive line is revamped Mendy needs to be used in certain down and distances. Redman and Dwyer need to be the one-two punch that the Steelers use in the next few weeks, Mendy does too much Dancing behind the line

pete74
10-28-2011, 04:17 AM
i agree. mendenhall's ypc has always been alot lower then the top rb's. our O-line is horrible but if redmen can get more yards per rush then i would like to see him split the carries. usually rb's get more yards the more they get the ball.

Bayz101
10-28-2011, 04:24 AM
i agree. mendenhall's ypc has always been alot lower then the top rb's. our O-line is horrible but if redmen can get more yards per rush then i would like to see him split the carries. usually rb's get more yards the more they get the ball.

It definitly has. But Redman seemed to gather stats similar to Mendy when he got the start, and Dwyer did the same? Makes me wonder if, as another poster suggest, the Steelers should go with a multiple back gameplan? The different looks may confuse defenses. It's a thought anyway, lol.

Edit: I agree with the O-Line statement 100%. Redman is no doubt a beast when running through the line!

Curtain_of_Steel
10-28-2011, 07:57 AM
If we are going to sit and F around with the running game and than play back off their WR's than it will be 21-0 before you know it if they don't stop Brady.

We need to first come out passing to get their pass rush to back up. Once they back up we can blend it in. But regardless of the Steelers having a good pass def or not this year. I think that part of our def is entirely overrated, lol.

First play I set it it up for a Run, fake PA send bomb to Wallace. But the run has to be a hard sell. Come out with a FB and RB.

theplatypus
10-28-2011, 08:15 AM
mendenhall is the type of runner that would benefit greatly from a fullback. what we need to do is fire arians and use a real fullback

Mendenhall is the type of runner that needs an offensive line, just like every other running back. Go back and watch Sundays game, he was hit behind the LOS on 50% of his carries in the first half. Redman and Moore only had 4 carries combined in the 1st half and they were tackled behind the LOS on 50% of those too. In the 2nd half the line faired much better with Mendy only being hit behind the LOS once while Moore and Redman went untouched. It's amazing what happens when players actually execute, but of course if they did that then the chicken little crew would have to find something else to cry about. Although, that shouldn't be hard since that is what they do.

StillerzFreak
10-28-2011, 08:39 AM
That thing that bothers me about Mendenhall is his hesitation behind the line of scrimmage. Sometimes you have to just get what you can, even if that means getting back to the line of scrimmage. Better than a 3 or 4 yard loss that sets us up for a 2nd and long. Redman on the other hand will hit the hole hard as soon as he gets it and rarely loses yards. Either way, we are blessed enough to have a deep back field, can't complain about that, just wish Mendenhall was more consistent and didn't dance so much. And yes I know the O Line is not exactly great and that probably factors into his "dancing behind the line of scrimmage" lol

steelfury02
10-28-2011, 10:16 AM
yup - agree on Redman and Dwyer's approach to taking what they can get. I'm happy to see them just get 3 to 4 yards every time rather than dancing and losing 3 to 4. 2nd and 7 looks a lot better than 2nd and 13

rich4eagle
10-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Why dont we use somebody other than Mendenhall more? If you go by yards per carry our back field should be reversed. Mendenhall 3.7 Redman 4.4 Moore 5.8 Dwyer 8.8. What gives?:banging:

Mendenhall is clearly the most explosive back, but we paid huge bucks for him I personally think that Redman can be better if given the chance. Moore is a specialty back and should only be used on those occasions, He has been used too much in running downs of late. Dwyer is overrated because of some awesome blocking and one good run.. There you have it...................>Play Redman more and things will go better:tt02:

ricardisimo
10-29-2011, 02:42 AM
As a starter (which is to say for one game) Redman has a 3.3 yard/carry average, which is lower than Rashard's 3.7. No one can run behind our line in Arians' offense effectively. Not with any sustained success, anyhow.

SteelerFanInATL
10-30-2011, 07:28 AM
First of all the O line is a patch work group, meaning no stretch once this season when the same group worked together, Dwyer's avge per carry is inflated because of his ONE break away run!

Buit he was looking good before that run also,( Running hard, hittitng the hole, not dancing around) He looked like a totally different runner than Mendy. IMO that run was just a result of fruit from his labor.