PDA

View Full Version : Offer your plan to defend against the Pats

ETL
10-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Everyone knows how well the Pats use their two TEs / Welker and Brady is masterful in dissecting the Steelers zone blitz scheme. We have lost to the Pats playing aggressively and we have lost playing conservatively. We need to do something different if we want a different outcome.

What would you do if you were LeBeau?

I would:

1. Sit our NT and have a nickle safety in our base defense. This is a gamble as the Pats will try to run it thinking we are "light" on the DL. This really calls for everyone on our defense to be physical and help with the run including our corners.

2. Have our corners play man-to-man. Since they traded Moss, they really do not have a WR that can beat you one-on-one with speed. This will free up our safeties to play their TEs.

3. The extra safety (Mundy) will be needed to help cover their TEs. Our corners are two small and our LBs are too slow to cover them.

4. Use our outside linebackers to pressure the QB up the middle if we are going to blitz. Many have pointed out how Brady does not do as well on the run as compared to being in the pocket.

austinfrench76
10-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Blitz, then pressure, then blitz, then pressure...Repeat. All freakin day!!!! So, we get burnt a few times. Well, we will get picked apart anyways!!!!!

BLITZ QUEEN BRADY, WE GIVE OURSELVES A CHANCE TO WIN. BIG!

austinfrench76
10-28-2011, 10:38 PM
And I don't recall us ever being aggressive against them. Only passive, not giving up the big play but giving up the dink and dunk BS and losing.

SoCalFan
10-28-2011, 10:40 PM
The DBs need to play tight and bump,disrupt some of the patterns to throw the timing off a bit,that way Baby brady is back in the pocket for even a fraction of a second longer=SACKS!!!:tt03:

ETL
10-28-2011, 11:22 PM
And I don't recall us ever being aggressive against them. Only passive, not giving up the big play but giving up the dink and dunk BS and losing.

I definitely recall Brady seeing where we were blitzing from and throwin to the hot read in that direction.

Know that when we say that a Qb is picking us apart, we are probably trying to apply pressure (ie playing aggressively) because any Qb with no pressure can pick apart any defense.

StainlessStill
10-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Dial-up inside blitzing schemes. Use stunts with defensive ends and linebackers alike (maybe use some quick stunts with Keisel and Timmons to match size and speed, as well as Bam-Bam Woodley coming in the middle on occasion) to crash the inside interior and amount penetration into the backfield, get people in Brady's happy place, the pocket. Brady operates flawlessly inside the pocket, with major penetration up the middle and with people in his space, he won't be able to step up in the pocket and deliver as accurate as he would with a clean lane in front of him.

Even if we can't get to Brady with his quick hits to his receivers, the defensive lineman (esp 6'7 Keisel) are going to have to get airborne and get their arms in the air to try to cloud Brady's vision and try to get some deflections. Maybe come with some corner blitz's off the edge to mix up the inside pressure in collapsing the pocket.

Last but not least: Turnovers & tackling in the open field.

Fire Arians
10-29-2011, 12:40 AM
play man-to-man and take away the inside, they don't really have any deep threat on that team. besides, allowing the underneath and waiting for the qb to make a mistake works against most NFL qb's, but it will not work against brady. the only way to beat a qb like him is to play aggressive. yeah you might get burnt on a couple plays but you'll give yourself a chance of winning. playing off wr's and allowing underneath stuff will just tire out our defense and give up big drives.

stb_steeler
10-29-2011, 06:35 AM
Put 14 men on Defense :rofl:

Vis
10-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Play a 4-3 with tight man coverage. Anything he hasn't seen before.

btaylor179
10-29-2011, 07:35 AM
db's don't play 20 yrds off wrs .......you have to bump them at the line....disrupt the timing

Bayz101
10-29-2011, 09:17 AM
We have to bring the Linebacker Blitz all day. Maybe drop back the MLB a little for zone help, but we need to pressure Lady all day!

With our pass defense number one, and the Patriots passing number one, our defense get's it's true test tomorrow.

BossAus
10-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Tom Brady has dominated the Steelers when the two teams meet up. He is 6-1 against them and is 4-1 at Heinz Field. However, that is the past, and the Steelers need to have this mindset. Last year the Steelers secondary was torched by Brady and allowed him to throw three touchdown passes to Rob Gronkowski. This year the Steelers secondary comes into this game with the top ranked passing defense in all of the NFL, and the 3rd overall top defense. They haven't faced a quarterback like Brady yet, however. The Patriots have a huge advantage with their tight ends Gronkowski and Hernandez, as they will be covered by either a slow Farrior or Foote, or cornerback like William Gay who is much smaller. Besides their tight ends, Wes Welker is where the Patriots do their damage. Mike Tomlin stated that Ike Taylor will not be covering Welker, as he is not accustomed to playing a slot receiver. Whoever lines up against Welker needs to disrupt him at the line of scrimmage to get Brady's timing off. This will allow the Steelers to have success defensively. They also need to get to Brady. LaMarr Woodley has turned the ignition on after his slow start to the season. Brett Keisel and Woodley need to get into Brady's face and get him to make mistakes. This is no easy task as Brady gets rid of the ball extremely quickly. The Steelers have more firepower on offense than they did last year, so this game could end up being a shoot-out.

My prediction: Steelers 31, Patriots 27

FanSince72
10-29-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm not an "X's and O's" guy but I do know this:

Brady operates like a machine when he's given time but runs around as if he's looking through his earhole if he's chased out of the pocket or forced to throw before he's ready. That's been his Achilles heel forever.

We don't necessarily need sacks. We just need to force him to speed things up and take him out of his comfort zone.

Get Brady uncomfortable and the rest will take care of itself.

tony hipchest
10-29-2011, 12:14 PM
lots of dime and big nickel. essentially switch troy and timmons roles. have timmons jam welker of the LOS and have troy leap the line and plenty of safety rushes up the middle and off the TE. seldom blitz with more than 5.

tell ziggy early in the game he gets one 15 yard penalty to take a wicked head shot on brady just to let him know we're there.

tanda10506
10-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Change the formations constantly. Their o line is one of the best, so we have to play unorthodox so they don't see where the blitz is coming from. Shift LB's around, Woodley and Keisel have been getting pressure but we need to drop Timmons a lot and drop Woodley occasionaly so that Foote or Farrior aren't trying to gaurd a TE. We can't win with 2 CB's on the field, we have to sub out the NT or a LB to get Lewis in. Taylor can shut down Ochostinko, Gay will get beat occasionaly but he's been playing well. With the occasional safety help, I think Gay will do good enough. That leaves the TE's, that's where a 3rd corner is needed. Timmons can cover Hernandez as long as he gets some occasional safety help, but the 3rd corner needs to cover Gronkowski. The only corner we have that is tall and plays "jam them at the line" coverage is Lewis. They will get open sometimes, thats who they are, but if the pass rush can get there on some of the plays were they are starting to get open, then we will be okay defensively. They have put up big yards on some poor teams, but dallas held them to 17. The offense has to score, and I want to see a few bombs, but mainly we need the gameplan we had against the titans, running and short passing. It will keep Brady off the field and tire their horrible defense. This is the most confident I have been about playing the pats in years (except when we played Cassel), with proper coaching/play calling, we will win this one.

Also, HIT THEM HARD, all of them all the time, especially Marsha.

theplatypus
10-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Blitzing Brady is a myth, he's up there with the best in the league at reading defenses, finding the holes, and getting rid of the ball with a quickness. Look at the way the Jets played them. THey frequently only rushed 3, sometimes only 2 and threw off timing with coverage and ended up with sacks and Int's in the process. I would be very surprised if we don't see a lot of nickel and dime defensive formations tomorrow.

Defensively the Pats will probably take away the high percentage underneath stuff challenging Ben to be accurate down field. Troy's been a bit of a liability in coverage this year(and in the SB) so I wouldn't be surprised if they went in his direction frequently.

PatsFan09
10-29-2011, 03:34 PM
As a Pat's fan, I love Pat's Steelers games. We play a tough team, one of our equals, and almost always come out on top, including playoffs (in the Brady era)

However, I NEVER take the game lightly. The Steelers are tough, always have great D and Big Ben is vastly underrated. That's not to say he isn't given respect throughout the league and media, but what I mean is he is not usually mentioned in the same sentence as Brady/Manning, and now Aaron Rodgers.

I don't get that because the guy has led the team to THREE Super Bowls and won 2 of them since the Pats last won one. Manning only has 1 ring and was a choke artist in the post season until Polian had the rules changed in his favor (due to the Pats beating up his receivers) .

Ben is a bull who is EXTREMELY hard to knock off his feet, & he does some of his most amazing work while running for his life, after the play has completely broken down. Brady is a statue. Yes, he is great and a Hall of Famer, but mobile? Is there anyone LESS mobile in the league. I think Big Ben would be more mobile with a cast on his leg.

As for a game plan? I would think that you go man to man on the wide receivers, blitz a lot to force Gronkowski & Hernandez to stay put & block, plus double up on Welker. Our tight ends are the most dangerous guys on the field after Brady. Gronk is a beast, has sure hands, height, strength. He's the total package. Hernandez is a wide receiver. spectacular hands, good routes, great cuts, shifty. Take these guys out of the game and you probably win, even if Welker has a good day

Ocho is a non factor. Even if you don't put a guy on him, it probably wouldn't matter, he'd just drop the pass.

Branch? He's hot or cold. He CAN do great or totally taken out of a game. He's averaging 4 catches a game for 60 yards, has 2 TD's. In our loss to BUF he was shut out. The next week at OAK he had 1 catch for 4 yds. It was a TD, but still. So he has 7-8 catches a game, or basically nothing

We really could use a deep threat

Someone here said Brady is awful under pressure and I agree. In the Super Bowl. the Giants front 7 were all over him and he played poorly. Last year the Jets had him running from shadows and things that weren't there. He was throwing the ball in the dirt and basically everywhere but where his receivers were. It was awful.

You disrupt Brady, hit him a few times, force him out of the pocket, and he becomes quite ordinary. Even less than ordinary. He starts throwing picks and is susceptible to strip sacks and fumbles. That's when the Pats get beat. Basically that's the only time they get beat. Thankfully, disrupting him is easier said than done and I like our chances.

On offense? THROW THE BALL ALL DAY. Pick on whoever is taking Bodden's place to see how the new guy plays. McCourty is playing pretty poorly. The Pat's are pretty good at stopping the run, but awful against the pass. I'd rather see 3rd and 2 than 3rd and 10 because we might stop the 2 yard run, but can't stop the 10 yard pass. Don't bother with the run. THROW THE BALL

Note: BB & Brady will be going for the all time winning QB/Coach tandem at this game. They tied Schula & Marino with the win over Dallas with 116 wins. They did it in 35 less games though 116-33 vs 116-68 (I think)

Should be a great game. Can't wait, especially after having to wait through a bye week!

Fire Arians
10-29-2011, 04:23 PM
wow a patriots fan that isn't obnoxious and overconfident, first time for everything.

welcome to the boards :)

ETL
10-29-2011, 05:21 PM
...Timmons can cover Hernandez as long as he gets some occasional safety help, but the 3rd corner needs to cover Gronkowski. The only corner we have that is tall and plays "jam them at the line" coverage is Lewis....
Also, HIT THEM HARD, all of them all the time, especially Marsha.

I disagree. I think Hernandez basically a large WR and will beat Timmons and Gronk is huge. Lewis is too small to play him.

I agree with you about pressure on Brady but it has to come up the front and not from the side. I would have delayed blitzes up the middle. If you blitz too quick, they will pick it up but if you wait a sec - I think there may be gaps up the middle for us to pick on.

ETL
10-29-2011, 05:23 PM
...tell ziggy early in the game he gets one 15 yard penalty to take a wicked head shot on brady just to let him know we're there.

agreed. And this is also the way to play Aaron Rogers. I don't know why more teams don't do this but they just need to hit this guy. Even if it risk one or even 2 roughing penalties. Giving up 2 early TDs is better than giving up 5 if you leave Rogers untouched.

fer522
10-29-2011, 06:26 PM
The key will be to get to Brady I don't care what packages we run we need to get to him and hurt him a little bit
I don't think he was sacked the last two games we Played them

tanda10506
10-29-2011, 06:41 PM
I disagree. I think Hernandez basically a large WR and will beat Timmons and Gronk is huge. Lewis is too small to play him.

I agree with you about pressure on Brady but it has to come up the front and not from the side. I would have delayed blitzes up the middle. If you blitz too quick, they will pick it up but if you wait a sec - I think there may be gaps up the middle for us to pick on.

I disagree with Lewis and Timmons, I think they are capable, especially Lewis. I agree though that delaying the blitzes some of the time is a great idea.

Blitzing Brady is a myth, he's up there with the best in the league at reading defenses, finding the holes, and getting rid of the ball with a quickness. Look at the way the Jets played them. THey frequently only rushed 3, sometimes only 2 and threw off timing with coverage and ended up with sacks and Int's in the process. I would be very surprised if we don't see a lot of nickel and dime defensive formations tomorrow.

As mentioned above, I think we just have to disguise the blitz, we can blitz him, other teams have blitzed him and he's horrible when they do. I think though that a direct blitz at brady would be a "myth" because if there is no disguising it, the o line is good enough to give him 1-2 seconds at least, and if we are blitzing somebody will probably get open on a short pass. I also agree that we should run a lot of dime and nickel, it was mentioned that it takes our best players off the field and that is true, but in this game our best players which in this case would be DL or LB's, have yet to get the job done against this team and don't match up well. I would run nickle/dime a lot, but I would still blitz often, even out of those packages.

By the way, regarding PatsFan09's post, that was probably the most respectful and HONEST/LOGICAL post from a fan of another team on this board.

SH-Rock
10-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Hit the prick. I put it all on Lamarr to either win or lose the game.

xbroughneck
10-29-2011, 08:55 PM
1) Sit Casey Hampton the entire game.

2) Send 4 guys at Brady...Keisel, Hoke, Wood, Woodley

3) Unfortunately, Timmons is going to have to cover a tight end a LOT.

4) The rest...just gotta cover.

If the Steelers can't get pressure on Brady with just their front 4 guys (like the Giants did in the Super Bowl) the Patsies are going to eat the Steelers alive.

That's it.

Key to the game is have 4 guys get pressure.

ETL
10-29-2011, 08:56 PM
1) Sit Casey Hampton the entire game.

2) Send 4 guys at Brady...Keisel, Hoke, Wood, Woodley

3) Unfortunately, Timmons is going to have to cover a tight end a LOT.

4) The rest...just gotta cover.

If the Steelers can't get pressure on Brady with just their front 4 guys (like the Giants did in the Super Bowl) the Patsies are going to eat the Steelers alive.

That's it.

Key to the game is have 4 guys get pressure.

Hoke is out. Who's Wood?

xbroughneck
10-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Hoke is out. Who's Wood?

LOL.

Ziggy Hood. (my bad):doh:

McClendon will have to fill that roll that Hoke won't.

steelfury02
10-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Que Remember the Titans . . .

"Now, I don't want them to gain another yard. You BLITZ ALL NIGHT. If they cross the line of scrimmage I'll take every last one of you out!

steelers33
10-30-2011, 11:23 AM
It really does suck that Harrison or Worilds can't go today again, otherwise we could of used Timmons inside to try to cover one of their TEs.

Kanata-Steeler
10-30-2011, 12:28 PM
"...JUST WIN BABY'S, JUST WIN !!! "
:)