PDA

View Full Version : SI Article - Ben Is Not Conventional, But a Winner

Atlanta Dan
06-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Interesting SI.com article today on how Ben's somewhat undisciplined style on the field (and virtually undisciplined style off the field) is central to him being the player he is.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/michael_silver/06/12/roethlisberger/index.html?cnn=yes

Peyton Manning would be less worry for a fan, but Robo QB still does not have a ring.

I guess we have to take the bad with the good when it comes to Ben. Hopefully this will help Ben realize taking chances is not the same as being foolish.

steelcity984
06-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Good article.

mymaveric
06-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Excellent article. Just goes to show why Big Ben's one of my favorite non-Cowboys in the NFL. :cool:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Haha great article.Announcers are always talking about players being a "student of the game".

Yeah,watch film...film shows stuff but on the field everyone has instinct,and you can't see that on film.

That's one thing I love about Polamalu,film doesn't show anything about him except that he's one of if not the best saftey in the league.He rushes the QB from the saftey position or from the LB/DE position.He covers man-to-man from those positions and zone from those positions.

I also loved the Manning jabs,I just can't stand him for some reason.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Interesting SI.com article today on how Ben's somewhat undisciplined style on the field (and virtually undisciplined style off the field) is central to him being the player he is.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/michael_silver/06/12/roethlisberger/index.html?cnn=yes

Peyton Manning would be less worry for a fan, but Robo QB still does not have a ring.

I guess we have to take the bad with the good when it comes to Ben. Hopefully this will help Ben realize taking chances is not the same as being foolish.

Thats a good point about Ben and his undisciplined style. Your right that probally has alot to do with him being the player he is. But he still has to be smart. I concur about robo QB. Manning is like watching a robot. But I'm surrounded by Colts fans and I have put up with the Peyton Manning love fest everyday.

Haiku_Dirtt
06-13-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm not sure what to think of the article except that his snooze-off rate is decreasing with age. Manning is basically the offensive coordinator - he wouldn't have it any other way. And he likes to throw his O-line under the bus to the media. Nice Guy.

Ben is in Whiz's system. I can't help but think how scary he could be if he did get a little more tape time in. Like Cowher said it will come don't force feed him. That would be like sticking a running hose in his ear.

Again! Another reason why Helmet-Gate is so emotional and angering because we want to see this unfold. He is just only scratching the surface.

tony hipchest
06-13-2006, 09:14 PM
cowher has this image of a hard ass but anyone notice how he cancelled the final day of practice in the o.t.a.'s? he dont force ben to watch film, and he didnt tell ben to quit riding a bike or to even wear a helmet. out of his own mouth, he said he talked to ben like a concerned dad would. look at how cowher interacts with his players on gameday. he is trully a players coach.

cowher lets his players run their lives just like the rooneys let cowher run their team. granted cowhers x's and o's coaching has been questionned in the past but it takes much more than just that to be a great coach. hes finally got great assistants in place to go along with the franchise qb. (put your foot down NOW bill, and ben: ; dont put your coach in the position to HAVE to put his foot down)

one of the reason people are so high on miami this year is not only the franchise qb and promising HC, but is the 2 assistants with head coaching experience. mularkey and capers. both cut their teeth with cowher and the steelers.