PDA

View Full Version : Best Team in the AFC; Agree/Disagree?

FanSince72
10-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Rodney Harrison says we're the best team in the AFC!
Do you agree or disagree?

I agree.

Not because I'm a fan but because we have a versatility that I don't see anywhere else in the Conference. The team is beginning to jell and the receivers are top shelf and getting better.
All receivers in the NFL run great routes but our guys have a whole "Second Act" when Ben gets pressured or steps out of the pocket and we almost always have someone to throw to.

We have a banged up O-line, but whoever steps in gives it 100% and keeps us in the game.

Our D is like watching a bunch of angry hornets. No one ever stops playing and no matter who gets hurt, there's someone else there to step up.

And as far as quarterbacks go, do you see anyone else in the Conference - or even the rest of the league - with the ability and flat out guts that Ben has?

I sure as hell don't.

We're certainly not the prettiest team out there and we make our share of mistakes, but dammit, we get it done when it needs to get done!

:tt04::tt02::tt::applaudit::hatsoff:

steelfury02
10-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Best team in AFC with one loss to avenge and a long road to go to get where we want to go.

BUT - i'm happy to agree - we showed we have what it takes to compete for a world championship

What I love - is that we are the most dangerous looking team on both sides of the ball with still plenty to improve on.

We look like the hungriest team out there - even more so than the Packers, who I feel, are peaking waaaaaay tooo soon.

We now know we've got the men to do what needs to be done against any team.

FanSince72
10-30-2011, 08:48 PM
What I love - is that we are the most dangerous looking team on both sides of the ball with still plenty to improve on.

We look like the hungriest team out there...

THAT describes how I feel perfectly!

Couldn't have said it better myself!

steelfury02
10-30-2011, 08:52 PM
This team has IT - know what I mean? Lol - freakin great way to end/start this coming week.

Gonna be wearin my Black and Gold proud down here in MD - and believe me - my Raven neighbors are NERVOUS to say the least. They are already making excuses for any potential upcoming loss.

My favorite thus far: "Oh well isn't it just so nice for you that the division is on the line in Pittsburgh. No wonder you get the division"

My response: "Hey - I didn't make excuses when you kicked our butts in wk 1 so you better hope your guys can win on the road with the division on the line - otherwise just cut the crap."

theplatypus
10-30-2011, 08:54 PM
For me, it's too early to say that. We still have these moments where we play stupid football. Too many stupid penalties and missed blocks, defenders out of position. I think we're close to finally putting it all together on offense. The defense just needs to get healthy.

tanda10506
10-30-2011, 08:58 PM
F@#k the ratbirds! Flacco is one of the most inaccurate Qb's in the league this year and this time around he will be getting sacked and picked off. If we can cover the Pats like that then we can shut down the Ratbirds passing attack, also Harrison should be backing putting Flacco in the dirt with Woodley and Keisel. They will run the ball but not like week 1, and we will move the ball much better, even though they still are a great defense. I'm still celebrating this one, but can't wait till next week either. We are probably the best team in the AFC,and beating Baltimore will make it certain, although I usually like it more when we are counted out.

FanSince72
10-30-2011, 08:59 PM
For me, it's too early to say that. We still have these moments where we play stupid football. Too many stupid penalties and missed blocks, defenders out of position. I think we're close to finally putting it all together on offense. The defense just needs to get healthy.

Yeah but then you watch Troy slide under two guys and punch the ball towards the end zone and you smile and you say, "But we've also got some pretty smart dudes out there too."

lipps83
10-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Ask me at the bye-week and we have played the Ravens and Bengals.

I won't even contemplate that we might be the best in the AFC until those games are over.

We have only beat two teams with winning records (Titans, Pats) and have struggled against teams that we shouldn't have (Colts, Jags).

steelax04
10-30-2011, 09:09 PM
After the Ravens' last two performances and the Steelers' showing today, I can agree with that. So next week, it's time to play like the best team in the AFC and dismantle the Ravens.

SH-Rock
10-30-2011, 09:15 PM
No, not yet. I want to see how we stack up against the Bengals and Ravens.

theplatypus
10-30-2011, 09:15 PM
2nd and 5 at the 7
false start

:banging::banging:

Steeler4life1972
10-30-2011, 09:16 PM
harrison should be back next week!!

Steeler4life1972
10-30-2011, 09:18 PM
2nd and 5 at the 7
false start

:banging::banging:
who you watching???

madtowndrunkard
10-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Way too early to tell.

The ravens kicked our #@$^ all over the field. They have just as many losses as we do...I think we'll have to beat the Ravens before we can even have this discussion.

I also think the Patriots are still in the discussion. The Pats had a chance to win that game in the 4th quarter. There will likely be a re-match come playoff time.... both teams have the talent to win. So it's not like we are so much better then the Patriots. Both teams have issues, both teams have strengths. Both teams are playoff contenders.

We haven't played Cinci, we haven't played Buffalo. We've beat one team with a pulse and you are all crowning us the best team in the AFC? A little premature me thinks.

We still have some pretty big issues to work out.... but we are looking better now then we did a few weeks ago. After the next 2 games we'll know a whole lot more about this team then we do now.

Steeler4life1972
10-30-2011, 09:21 PM
no...we are not the best team in the afc...cant say that yet!!! way too early...ravens will be hungry next week....we have to beat them to stand a chance!!!

1st&Goal
10-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Don't know, don't care. Tonight was the SB for me. Tired of hearing 5hit from my NE neighbors. The Steelers laid down an ass whoopin' tonight on the Fags. Another SB win would be great, but beating the Fags and Gaydy is enough for me, no matter what else happens this season, I'm a happy guy.

GO STEELERS!!

Steeler4life1972
10-30-2011, 09:22 PM
if we dont beat the ravens we may never get to the playoffs remember that!!!!

JustinM
10-30-2011, 09:25 PM
a couple weeks ago we were worried about just winning a game...now we are talking about being the best?!?! This year is ridiculous.

steelax04
10-30-2011, 09:27 PM
no...we are not the best team in the afc...cant say that yet!!! way too early...ravens will be hungry next week....we have to beat them to stand a chance!!!

Hungry? They should have been hungry this week after that stinker they laid against Jax... and this week they had to make a huge comback against the Steelers West. I think they tapped into their emotional stockpile on Week 1 and they haven't been able to recapture it since. I see the last two games for the Ravens as being more draining than anything. Then again, it is Steelers Week for them, so who knows.

I'm just not seeing next week being close.

Steeler4life1972
10-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Hungry? They should have been hungry this week after that stinker they laid against Jax... and this week they had to make a huge comback against the Steelers West. I think they tapped into their emotional stockpile on Week 1 and they haven't been able to recapture it since. I see the last two games for the Ravens as being more draining than anything. Then again, it is Steelers Week for them, so who knows.

I'm just not seeing next week being close. steelers ravens equals never a gimme game for us because of the familiarity!

madtowndrunkard
10-30-2011, 09:34 PM

I'm just not seeing next week being close.

The Cardinals ran a kick back, and played a good game. It was merely a fluke that it was close. The Ravens managed to make a 21 point come back to win it .

It appeared to me that the Ravens were expecting a cake walk. They woke up and kicked the crap out of the Cardinals in the 2nd half. So I don't think we should look at that game and think we've some how over taken the Ravens as the best team in the division. We still need to beat them.

Steeler4life1972
10-30-2011, 09:36 PM
The Cardinals ran a kick back, and played a good game. It was merely a fluke that it was close. The Ravens managed to make a 21 point come back to win it .

It appeared to me that the Ravens were expecting a cake walk. They woke up and kicked the crap out of the Cardinals in the 2nd half. So I don't think we should look at that game and think we've some how over taken the Ravens as the best team in the division. We still need to beat them.agreed!

SH-Rock
10-30-2011, 09:36 PM
We should go in and hit on all cylinders and crush their throats. Run up the score for all I care.

madtowndrunkard
10-30-2011, 09:41 PM
The Ravens will bring their A game. This will be a chance for them to get the steeler-monkey off their back. They'd love nothing more then to crush us one more time and make us an after thought.

If you think we'll be able to pass every play like we did against NE and win you'll be sadly mistaken. The ravens would kills us if we tried such a game plan. Don't forget the Ravens have no problem getting to Ben...and they've got several play makers who are pretty darn good at the pick 6. We'll need to stop the Ravens run game and force Flacco into mistakes if we are to win this game.

After the last match up I'm not overly optimistic.

Ricco Suavez
10-30-2011, 10:09 PM
I never felt we were as bad as all the "experts" said we were. I also do not drink the Sportscasters current flavor of the week koolaid. What I like is we seem to be improving as the season progresses even with injuries, I think if we continue to improve we could be a very dangerous team come playoff time. But lets take care of the next game first.

SoCalFan
10-30-2011, 10:40 PM
All i got to say is YES we are the best in the AFC!!! Also,dam its good to be a Steeler fan,we are in the hunt every year!We have alot of work to do,DAM im still on a high from todays game! Im also glad we have a bye late in the season!!!

tony hipchest
10-30-2011, 10:44 PM
agree. i thought so last seaSon. i thought so at the beginning of the season. i thought so last week and i think so now.

We have only beat two teams with winning records (Titans, Pats) and have struggled against teams that we shouldn't have (Colts, Jags).we kicked the jags ass in a single half of football and coasted on to an easy win.

did they make it closer than what the play indicated? yes.

was i ever worried? no.

same w/ the colts/ :coffee:

thebus36idf
10-30-2011, 10:45 PM
:tt::tt:Ask me at the bye-week and we have played the Ravens and Bengals.

I won't even contemplate that we might be the best in the AFC until those games are over.

We have only beat two teams with winning records (Titans, Pats) and have struggled against teams that we shouldn't have (Colts, Jags).

yes but 1 team we lost to also lost to the Jax and darn near lost to arizona, who looks better than us right now?

Fire Arians
10-30-2011, 11:19 PM
we just beat the #1 team in the AFC, so as of now, we are the best team in the AFC. However I hope the team doesn't read too much of their own press clippings, they have shotten themselves in the foot by becoming complacent before

ETL
10-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Ask me at the bye-week and we have played the Ravens and Bengals.

Jags are not pushovers.

Yehoodi
10-30-2011, 11:30 PM
we just beat the #1 team in the AFC, so as of now, we are the best team in the AFC. However I hope the team doesn't read too much of their own press clippings, they have shotten themselves in the foot by becoming complacent before

The Bills have also beaten the Pats, are 5-2 and in the seven games they have played have only player two teams under 0.500 . . .namely, Phila (who are spanking the 'boys tonight) and Washington, who they shutout today . . .for me if the Pat don't make it to the SB I want the Bills to do it . ..

great win/statement game today by the Steelers, congrads, but I think if we are going to crown the steelers the midseason top seed, i would like to hold off until the second game against Balt, next Sun, and whenever the play teh 5-2 Bengals . . .i agree with the prior posters on this matter who want to want for those divisional games . . .

Sixburgher
10-30-2011, 11:33 PM

And that's somehow inferior to the Ravens of late, how? They lost to a 1-5 team (looking like absolute shit while doing so) and damn near lost to another one in their own backyard today. It's becoming fairly apparent they blew their load in week one and forgot there was still an entire season's worth of games after it.

TRH
10-30-2011, 11:44 PM
We should go in and hit on all cylinders and crush their throats. Run up the score for all I care.

Run up the score?? lol. Whats that?

This team doesnt' have a clue how to do that....Even when we DOMINATE a team all game, like this week, we somehow find a way to take it all the way down to the wire.
If we win next week, i'm sure it will be a nail-biter and they'll be dishing out heart attacks once again, as they do on a weekly basis. :chuckle:

Quasar
10-31-2011, 10:33 AM

Agreed. We may need those points for a tiebreaker at the end of the season. A 28-point Steeler victory would not be "running up the score" as far as I'm concerned- it would be smart football.

By the way, the week one loss was because the Steelers didn't play "Steeler football". The win over the Patriots shows that Steeler football is still evolving. Who thought our DBs could cover man-to-man they way they did?

theplatypus
10-31-2011, 10:49 AM
By the way, the week one loss was because the Steelers didn't play "Steeler football". The win over the Patriots shows that Steeler football is still evolving. Who thought our DBs could cover man-to-man they way they did?

We are not the same team as we were in week 1 and we won't be the same team come week 17. It's the nature of the beast, good teams get better as they go along. We've shown steady improvement in every facet of the game and if we continue doing so we will be a force. One of the oldest football cliches is that it's a game of inches. I firmly believe that we are an inch here and there from being a truly explosive team.

Steelerfreak58
10-31-2011, 10:50 AM
The team does far better when everyone is ignoring them or disrespecting them. When they become the media darlings shit goes south quick.

Mike55
10-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Pittsburgh is the best team in the AFC, but not by much. I never realized that the absence of Manning strongly affects the entire AFC landscape. (http://thexlog.com/201110311142/xtra-point-football/nfl/peyton-mannings-absence-changes-the-entire-afc-landscape/)

Curtain_of_Steel
10-31-2011, 04:52 PM
This year, IMO we can be labeled the best team when we are in the Superbowl representing the AFC. To many peaks and valleys.

Next step, beat the Ravens, crush Flacco. There are no easy games on our schedule and they need to come out firing like we did Sunday every week. We need to protect Ben, to many unneeded shots happened sunday.

Big Oline test is coming Sunday, we better come out passing till we get them blitzing only 4 and not 7.

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Chris Collinsworth says the real NFL season starts after Thanksgiving

This still is all about positioning at the mid-way point - win the next two division games and the Steelers will be in the best position in the AFC going into the after Thanksgiving Sunday night game in KC

JustinM
11-01-2011, 12:38 AM
at our best, we are the best. At our worst, we are the worst.

Sean95m
11-01-2011, 01:42 AM
Ok major stat of the season. The Pats game was the first game all year that all 5 starters on the O line had played together in consecutive weeks! On D guys are stepping up and we are looking more and more like a team to be serious, especially if we can continue to win, just imagine getting certain guys back and they will be fresh for the playoffs!

Fire Arians
11-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Ok major stat of the season. The Pats game was the first game all year that all 5 starters on the O line had played together in consecutive weeks! On D guys are stepping up and we are looking more and more like a team to be serious, especially if we can continue to win, just imagine getting certain guys back and they will be fresh for the playoffs!

a healthy harrison is the kind of stuff quarterbacks have nightmares about