PDA

View Full Version : Suisham

steelerchad
10-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Really happy with today's outcome. Only real negatives. Ben's one INT that set up the Pats to get back into the game and Suisham's missed 42 yd field goal.

3 of 4 FG's is fine, but this guy makes me nervous. I don't have the confidence that he is going to make the big kick. A 42 yarder into the closed end with fairly good weather needs to be made. Especially when that kick can close out a big win.

Oh, and also. How is it that every other kicker in the league now kicks the ball 8 yards deep in the endzone and this guy still barely gets it to the goal line and duffs one out of bounds at the 10 after our first TD to set the Pats up at the 40.

Will this guy cost us a win this year? Thoughts?

tanda10506
10-30-2011, 08:12 PM
He might, he kicked well last year, average this year. Average is okay I guess since there is nobody else out there right now and we usually don't kick a lot of field goals, but hopefully we find someone else next year.

austinfrench76
10-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Don't trust him. That's all.

Spanz14
10-30-2011, 08:19 PM
right there with you on this one, i dont trust him at all and can see him costing us a game some time down the road, he's beens sketchy all year and seems to always choke when it matters most or when we can put a game away

madtowndrunkard
10-30-2011, 08:23 PM
I don't think he'll win any games for us .... but really kickers don't lose games for you too often. If it comes down to you needing a FG to win, it usually means there were plenty of other issues to also point the finger at.

Rick5895
10-30-2011, 08:33 PM
I said it before on other threads and i'll say it again. Suisham is money his 1st year (last year) makes the majority but has big misses his second year. 3rd year cut. He is going to cost us at some point, almost happened today.

steelax04
10-30-2011, 08:33 PM
I don't think he'll win any games for us .... but really kickers don't lose games for you too often. If it comes down to you needing a FG to win, it usually means there were plenty of other issues to also point the finger at.

Agreed... I'd put it on the offense for not being able to punch it in rather than Suisham for keeping today's game close. He basically kicked what amounted to two PATs today (distance wise). That's where the offense needs to get 7, imho.

MACH1
10-30-2011, 08:38 PM
He's going to cost us at least one game this season, just hope it's not in the playoffs.

SH-Rock
10-30-2011, 08:38 PM
You got to remember it was being played at Heinz Field, the toughest stadium to kick FGs in.

rich4eagle
10-30-2011, 08:39 PM
he is an order of magnitude better than Reed, he actually gets involved in stopping Kick Offs from being run back, whikle Reed waived at people and sucked on field goals as well his last two years

now there are better kickers in the league but again he is way better than reed who now is unemployed

TAmes
10-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Agreed... I'd put it on the offense for not being able to punch it in rather than Suisham for keeping today's game close. He basically kicked what amounted to two PATs today (distance wise). That's where the offense needs to get 7, imho.

No argument here that the red zone offense needs to put TDs on the board, but when it doesn't, Suisham needs to do his job and put up 3 points.

He's 6/10 this year from beyond 40 yards, close to a 50/50 proposition. If the Steelers are facing 4th and short from around the 23 yard line, the odds almost favor going for it on 4th down instead of letting Suisham shank his kick.

It's incredibly demoralizing to the team when it drives almost the length of the field and the kicker doesn't put points on the board with attempts from a reasonable distance, and every time Suisham misses a 40 yd field goal, it gives the opponent decent field position.

I've said it before -- Reed might be a head case now, and he melted down last year, but he was money from between 40 and 50 yds, especially with the game on the line. And given parity among teams these days, kickers need to put those FGs on the board.

Suisham might be the best alternative at this point, but I'd certainly start thinking about auditioning other kickers.

casteeler
10-30-2011, 09:15 PM
The reason the Steelers didn't run is ball on the last drive is because he is not trustworthy

OX1947
10-31-2011, 02:46 AM
I do not know why the Steelers didnt go after Akers this off season. He kicked in the PA weather for year and was pretty damn good.

TRH
10-31-2011, 08:17 AM
You got to remember it was being played at Heinz Field, the toughest stadium to kick FGs in.

+ 1. The other teams kickers don't fare much, if any better, either.
That said, I think Suisham is money inside a 40 yarder. Outside of a 40 yarder, i don't have confidence in him and it could cost us in an important or playoff game.

But he's definitely better than "i can't even get my kickoffs to the other 25 yard-line Reed".

theplatypus
10-31-2011, 08:24 AM
I do not know why the Steelers didnt go after Akers this off season. He kicked in the PA weather for year and was pretty damn good.

$$$$

steelfury02
10-31-2011, 08:30 AM
let's get that TD so we don't have to worry about it! Love that we got a huge win but doubley love the fact we can get even better. I think we left at least 2 TDs out there.

TRH
10-31-2011, 08:32 AM
let's get that TD so we don't have to worry about it! Love that we got a huge win but doubley love the fact we can get even better. I think we left at least 2 TDs out there.

thats TRUE! If this team could score in the red zone (especially in the 4th quarter!!!!!!), we wouldn't have to worry so much.

steelfury02
10-31-2011, 08:42 AM
not saying there might not be a better kicker out there - but I like Suisham - he is clearly better at this point than Reed is lol.

Plus - he didn't choke any worse than the Pats kicker (not counting the lovely Charlie brown onsides)

stlrtruck
10-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Anything outside of 30 yards, makes me nervous with this guy. I do hope the Steelers address this in the off-season. Because I certainly don't see them addressing it anytime soon.

FanSince72
10-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Really happy with today's outcome. Only real negatives. Ben's one INT that set up the Pats to get back into the game and Suisham's missed 42 yd field goal.

3 of 4 FG's is fine, but this guy makes me nervous. I don't have the confidence that he is going to make the big kick. A 42 yarder into the closed end with fairly good weather needs to be made. Especially when that kick can close out a big win.

Oh, and also. How is it that every other kicker in the league now kicks the ball 8 yards deep in the endzone and this guy still barely gets it to the goal line and duffs one out of bounds at the 10 after our first TD to set the Pats up at the 40.

Will this guy cost us a win this year? Thoughts?

Well, another way to look at it is, what is it that keeps us from scoring and having to settle for field goals in the first place?

Let's face it, we played well enough yesterday to have won 37-17 but we stalled on several occasions. So as sweet as this win was, there's still some wrinkles that need to be ironed out.

TAmes
10-31-2011, 09:37 AM
(not counting the lovely Charlie brown onsides)

:chuckle: that's exactly what I was thinking about when it happened.

Bayz101
10-31-2011, 03:47 PM
We're not the Patriots. We don't rely on kickers to win games for us. If we're going to be a SuperBowl caliber team, we need to get the ball in the endzone.

StainlessStill
10-31-2011, 04:59 PM
Suisham ALWAYS made me queezy, no matter how good he did last season. That said, my girlfriend brought something to my attention. She says he makes her nervous because he got this scared to death, nervous look on his face like he's anticipating the bullies swirly back in high school. Once she pointed it out, she's right. He looks scared to death before every kick and he makes my stomach drop every time because of it. He really needs to stop with that shit. He's going to give me a heatattack.

JCPsteelers
12-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Suisham missed another kick tonight. Beginning to feel like he is worse than Jeff Reed was last year.

Bayz101
12-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Suisham missed another kick tonight. Beginning to feel like he is worse than Jeff Reed was last year.

He made a long one, and missed a shorter one.

Wallace108
12-20-2011, 01:16 AM
When Suisham misses, he doesn't just miss. He misses BADLY. On any kick beyond 40 yards, we should get a point if he gets it within 5 yards of the goal post.

Bayz101
12-20-2011, 01:21 AM
When Suisham misses, he doesn't just miss. He misses BADLY. On any kick beyond 40 yards, we should get a point if he gets it within 5 yards of the goal post.

:iagree:

DanRooney
12-20-2011, 02:45 AM
You can see the team lose trust in him. It even looked like Tomlin has hesitant to put him in for the field goal we made. I sure as hell wouldn't of let him try either of those field goals. Time to part ways with him after the season.

defence
12-20-2011, 07:30 AM
You can see the team lose trust in him. It even looked like Tomlin has hesitant to put him in for the field goal we made. I sure as hell wouldn't of let him try either of those field goals. Time to part ways with him after the season.

I'll keep it short and sweet!! he stinks period!! I get scared even when he tries from short

TRH
12-20-2011, 07:57 AM
We were lucky he made one of the 2. And he just barely made the 1st one. I didn't have faith that he was going to make the 2nd one, in fact, i was positive that it would be missed.
That said, he's still better than Reed was those last 2 years Reed was here.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-20-2011, 08:38 AM
All the kickers that can be had, why can't we sign one that can actually kick the ball a decent distance without having to hold your breath and hope it will go straight.

Comparing to reed, yes but Reed was not the only kicker available this year. Did you look across the field, Akers was available. Did he not fit our scheme?lol He only leads the league in points, all time point guy in SF and kicks on a field that historically doesnt give up long field goals.

Instead we went safe and cheap. This way our coaching staff on 50 yard field goals can go for it or punt, it cuts down on them making a 3 way choice on what to do.