PDA

View Full Version : Troy’s Ball Punch: Legal? Why?

NEWstevo
10-30-2011, 09:41 PM
I know the basic rules of the game and when I saw Troy Polamalu dive under the legs of the Patriots player and punch the ball back out towards the end zone resulting in a safety, I thought it might have been illegal.

Clearly, there was no flag and the ref’s even reviewed the play to see if it was a touchdown instead of a safety (so if was illegal, they would have pointed it out then). And, there was no mention of it being illegal with the commentators so I am sure it was just a great play by Troy.

On offense, a player cannot push/punch/kick the ball forward to advance it. And I know about the weird “ball-through-the end-zone” fumble that gives the ball to the other team at the 20 yard line. But I have never seen a play where the defensive player purposely punches the ball backwards, at least not from the 20 yard line! Polamalu is a genius!

So what is the rule to punching/pushing the ball during a live play?

lipps83
10-30-2011, 09:44 PM
I don't think that you can and I think what Troy did was illegal but not caught be the refs during the play since it happened so fast.

I don't think he hit it for it to go out of the end zone causing a safety, I think he was just trying to get it back away from the lineman that were there at the ball as well.

steelax04
10-30-2011, 09:47 PM
It was illegal, however it was not flagged during the play. It was mentioned quite a bit by the commentators as well.

Basically, Simms said that you can't review a play and then add on a penalty to it. The review was only for the Safety (score), itself, not anything else that happened on the play. Since it was not flagged on the play, it cannot be part of the scoring review.

NEWstevo
10-30-2011, 09:51 PM
That's right... now I remember Simms saying that. Thanks.

TAmes
10-30-2011, 09:52 PM
I thought it was a great play by Troy. Might have been illegal, but he dove for it so quickly that the officials had no chance of calling it on him. Heads up play because he was trying to both keep the ball away from the Pats and tack on more yards for them to drive had they recovered the fumble.

NEWstevo
10-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks google:

A player may not bat or punch:

(a) A loose ball (in field of play) toward his opponent’s goal line or in any direction in either end zone.

(b) A ball in player possession.

steelerchad
10-30-2011, 09:54 PM
happened so quick, I think the refs just thought the ball shot out when the guys dove for it. Troy definately took a swipe at it, which is illegal. I believe if flagged the pats would have gotten the ball at the spot of the foul plus 15 yards and probably 10 seconds or so. The fumble was pretty much the end of the game no matter who recovered it if there is no penalty as the Pats had no timeouts.

NEWstevo
10-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Ok, now part B is weird because I see players punching at the ball all the time. Maybe I need to go back to the rule book and read all of it, and not just these few lines.

NoFieldFive
10-30-2011, 10:04 PM
even if the Pats recovered the ball wouldn't time ran out....weren't they out of time outs at that point?

rich4eagle
10-30-2011, 10:30 PM
actually by rule if the rule that neither team can progress the ball toward their end zone is penal to defense

Because if the the ball was allowed to stay in the playing field the Pats would have run out of time, if the rule was enforced which it wasnt the pats would have been afforded two more plays at least for fumbling

I think the rule needs revised to apply to offensive plays only

harts
10-30-2011, 10:34 PM
illegal smart play

we were playing the Cheatriots

remember the AFC championship game with Kordell

"Karma"

ever since they were exposed the Pats havent won a super bowl

thebus36idf
10-30-2011, 11:00 PM
the commentaters had no clue ??

TailgateMel
10-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Mike Pereira (former VP of officiating for NFL) tweeted:

"In regards to Polamalu play - it should have been an illegal bat and if that was called then it would have been a touchback"

tony hipchest
10-31-2011, 02:26 AM
its a stupid rule.

the ball is oblong.

if anyone wants to put the ball on the ground in order to advance it, then let em do it.

the rule should state that the ball cant be advanced forward and interpreted from the defensive point of view as the ball going backwards.

bornaSteelersfan
10-31-2011, 02:53 AM
If the refs were going to call a penalty on that play, it should have been called on Matt Light for his blatant hold on Chris Carter before the fumbled even happened. Good heads-up play by Polamalu.

#1LambertFan
10-31-2011, 04:53 AM
even if the Pats recovered the ball wouldn't time ran out....weren't they out of time outs at that point?

Yes 8 seconds left with no timeouts and had they recovered.it time would have ran out.

ebsteelers
10-31-2011, 08:56 AM
Yes 8 seconds left with no timeouts and had they recovered.it time would have ran out.

exactly.

and by the time they uncovered everyone the game would of been over

wonder what troy was thinking?

theplatypus
10-31-2011, 09:00 AM
exactly.

and by the time they uncovered everyone the game would of been over

wonder what troy was thinking?

I'm pretty sure it was something along the lines of keep the ball away from the pats.

Quasar
10-31-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm pretty sure it was something along the lines of keep the ball away from the pats.

Right. It didn't appear he had a chance to recover the fumble himself.

theplatypus
10-31-2011, 09:28 AM
Right. It didn't appear he had a chance to recover the fumble himself.

He had a chance, but the pats had two guys there giving them a better chance.

FanSince72
10-31-2011, 09:53 AM
the commentaters had no clue ??

The Commentators were Nantz and Simms.

You're seriously expecting a clue?

As for the play itself, I don't care if it was legal or not it was one helluva heads up effort by Troy and a joy to watch!

ebsteelers
10-31-2011, 10:23 AM
but even if the pats recover it, until the scrum is done the game would of been over either way..

if that play is in new england those jabroni refs would of thrown a flag,

either way great play by kiesel

under pressure

NoFieldFive
10-31-2011, 10:54 AM
if Troy had not punched the ball seems game would have been over - whether Troy recovered it or one of the Pats guys recovered it. Tiime would have ran out

DJJorel
10-31-2011, 03:20 PM
It was a great, heads up, play by Troy. But it was illegal...no matter how anybody tries to spin it. The officials just didn't catch it...

But are we really surprised the the officials missed a call?

MDSteel15
11-01-2011, 11:00 AM
C'mon people! Troy was diving for the ball and just couldn't hold on to it!!! :wink02:

Vis
11-01-2011, 12:44 PM
So if it had been called and was a touchback, the Pats would have had 8 seconds, first and ten from the 20. Is that right?