PDA

View Full Version : My gameball goes to the coaching staff

tony hipchest
10-30-2011, 11:49 PM
okay, i really dont have a ball, and if i did, im sure the coaching staff wouldnt actually get it, so forgive the hyperbole.

i guess it starts at the top with tomlin. i dont know if arians and lebeau approached him with a proposed switch to there schemes, or if he told them to try something new. either way, he is the man up top who signs off on everything.

lebeau allowed ike taylor to shut down wes welker on the inside and we saw plenty of man-to-man as opposed to the typical zone blitz. :applaudit:

extra special props to bruce arians. he remembered that heath miller was a high paid thread on the offensive side of the ball. when he found something working, he didnt abandon it to try and trick the opposition. he didnt stay pigeonholed to a certain gameplan or scheme. he out bradied brady.

for the 1st time in 2 years (since packers in 09) i felt we actually gameplanned against an opponents strengths and weaknesses on the offensive side of the ball.

it woulda actually taken more thought and effert to screw up how to attack the patriots defense. im glad arians kept it simple and didnt out think himself.

im glad lebeau proved he can outscheme the best of them despite missing so many critical components of his defense.

stb_steeler
10-31-2011, 12:03 AM
I have to agree, the man to man coverage worked nicely. cant figure out why we dont do it more. I understand they have to adapt to certain defenses. All in all it was great execcution today. The whole team gets game ball!.

Fire Arians
10-31-2011, 12:32 AM
I have to agree, the man to man coverage worked nicely. cant figure out why we dont do it more. I understand they have to adapt to certain defenses. All in all it was great execcution today. The whole team gets game ball!.

because burnt toast mcfadden can't cover man to man. now we have corners in there who can.

steelers33
10-31-2011, 12:57 AM
At above our pass defense is very good and with Harrison possibly coming back and having time to get healthy, and Timmons returning to his natural position, our run defense could also get better. Backing this up is Woodley(hope he's healthy) is playing lights out and our D-line has seen some nice youth fresh legs in Hood, McLendon, and Heyward. So our front seven is looking good while our secondary is looking good. We know we have the coaching, and our offense is even seeing stability. So much talent on offense, with Max Starks being a much needed anchor on the o-line, while we have a tough elite quarterback.

DanRooney
10-31-2011, 02:29 AM
LeBeau's adjustment to Brady's offense was simply amazing to see. I'm glad guys like Lewis and Allen were able to stick to their guys in press man.

Steelerfreak58
10-31-2011, 10:49 AM
LeBeau's adjustment to Brady's offense was simply amazing to see. I'm glad guys like Lewis and Allen were able to stick to their guys in press man.

The young faster guys stepped up really nice to see.

PRESS coverage is the key to beat Brady, Rodgers, and Breeze. You throw their timing patterns off and give a little bit more time for that rush to get to them. Put them on their ass a few times and they don't know how to handle it.

tanda10506
10-31-2011, 12:27 PM
This is the first game that Arians called perfect, he made the right calls and let Ben run the no huddle. LeBeau finally figured out how to beat them, and I don't think we will have a problem with them until they get a better D. Perfect game by the coaches, would have been a bigger win if we would have got 2 or 3 of those FG's in for TD's.

Fire Arians
10-31-2011, 02:03 PM

yup. i think lebeau knew how to stop brady before, but we just didn't have the personnel to pull it off. now we do :tt03:

really happy with these past 2 years we are finally getting our young players involved, that has been the difference maker. infuse the team with young talent who are hungry to prove themselves

Rick5895
10-31-2011, 02:24 PM
I'd love to see this defense against the Pack in the super bowl again. See how these yong guys match up against receivers that are bigger , stronger and faster than the Patsies. I still think we would come out on top. Loved the physical play from our secondary yesterday.

stiller39
10-31-2011, 02:38 PM
I agree Tony, Lebeau made ADJUSTMENTS that were needed to beat Belicheat and Mom Brady. I have actually read stiller fans say that Lebeau was not the great Defensive coach he is and showed this week. What do they got to say now. Same with Arians. Called a beautiful game plan using the strengths of his team. Way to Go. Tomlin's philosophy of expecting the same from the non starters is a real winner. Nice Mike.

madtowndrunkard
10-31-2011, 03:39 PM
While this was by far Arians best game plan... I don't know that I'd call it perfect.

Don't forget who was actually calling many of the plays... But I suppose it took Arians a lot to hand the play calling over to Ben for much of the game.

The play calling was horrible on the last possession, that's why I wouldn't call it perfect...but yes it was the best plan I've seen from this staff in a very long time.

On the last drive it was no secret that the Pats were coming with the blitz... why not run a screen to the RB's? Or have a RB in the middle for a quick dump off? Maybe we don't get much out of doing that, but I don't think we take sack after sack.

cubanstogie
10-31-2011, 03:47 PM
While this was by far Arians best game plan... I don't know that I'd call it perfect.

Don't forget who was actually calling many of the plays... But I suppose it took Arians a lot to hand the play calling over to Ben for much of the game.

The play calling was horrible on the last possession, that's why I wouldn't call it perfect...but yes it was the best plan I've seen from this staff in a very long time.

On the last drive it was no secret that the Pats were coming with the blitz... why not run a screen to the RB's? Or have a RB in the middle for a quick dump off? Maybe we don't get much out of doing that, but I don't think we take sack after sack.

I disagree the last possession was horrible. They opened up with a pass to Johnson to pickup 7 yards, in the old days it would have been run, run , run give Brady ball with too much time. I would have run 3 times after they got the initial first down though. I am not sure Ben was ever going to throw the ball when he was sacked. That would have been plain stupid.

stlrtruck
10-31-2011, 04:10 PM
I disagree the last possession was horrible. They opened up with a pass to Johnson to pickup 7 yards, in the old days it would have been run, run , run give Brady ball with too much time. I would have run 3 times after they got the initial first down though. I am not sure Ben was ever going to throw the ball when he was sacked. That would have been plain stupid.

Yeah, I don't know what they were doing, but the way we were moving the ball I felt confident that we could have gotten that last first down without having to pass. I was confuzzled at the last series.