PDA

View Full Version : Week 8 Gay Meter: +12

ETL
10-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Another solid game but this time it was against a Class A opponent.

Brady was held under 200 yards passing and Gay was a big part of that. He defended well even assigned Hernandez, the TE. His name was mentioned several times today and generally when he did something good.

I really don't have much to say expect that he played another solid game.

+ 4 for today and +12 for the season.

ricardisimo
10-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Agreed. Another solid game from him, and it won't matter. First crappy game he has he'll be ridiculed and the calls for his head will start all over. For today, though, he looked great. It's actually a little disturbing that QBs appear so much more willing to throw at Ike or Troy than at him. Weird.

Fire Arians
10-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Gay is OK!

count me on the gay bandwagon. he finally had a fine game vs an elite qb. didn't think i had that in him but he' much improved from last year. i was wrong when i said he's hit his peak and couldn't get any better. and gladly so

tony hipchest
10-30-2011, 11:09 PM
those who wanted him cut before the season still want him cut because browns, bungles, and ravens fans make fun of them at work for having a player named "Gay" on the roster.

i think people who want gay cut either dont know too much about football, or are confused about their own sexuality.

he obviously belongs on an nfl roster and would easilly be a starter for many teams. im sure the 2011 NFL champ patriots would gladly have him :sofunny:

Steel_Bus_24
10-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Held up well, definitely a redeeming performance for last year....This was the 1st big test and it was passed with a pretty good score

Hopefully if we can ever get our LB Core healthy again, it'll only get better

Fire Arians
10-30-2011, 11:27 PM
those who wanted him cut before the season still want him cut because browns, bungles, and ravens fans make fun of them at work for having a player named "Gay" on the roster.

i think people who want gay cut either dont know too much about football, or are confused about their own sexuality.

he obviously belongs on an nfl roster and would easilly be a starter for many teams. im sure the 2011 NFL champ patriots would gladly have him :sofunny:

people wanted him cut because he had a horrible 2009 season as a starter, and in 2010 was often picked on by opposing qb's. people had reason to believe he was going to also stink it up this year. thankfully he hasn't, perhaps a change to more of a man-coverage scheme allows him to play to his strengths

tony hipchest
10-30-2011, 11:32 PM
people wanted him cut because he had a horrible 2009 season as a starter, and in 2010 was often picked on by opposing qb's. people had reason to believe he was going to also stink it up this year. thankfully he hasn't, perhaps a change to more of a man-coverage scheme allows him to play to his strengthshe was often picked on all the way to the superbowl. i have come to the conclusion that many people are idiots.

:hunch:

PhantomJB93
10-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Gay won me over today. I am now a Gay supporter.

Welcome to the Steelers starting lineup.

Fire Arians
10-30-2011, 11:38 PM
he was often picked on all the way to the superbowl. i have come to the conclusion that many people are idiots.

:hunch:

so the fact that he was picked on a lot means he was definitely a weak link last year. so you think based on bad performance he shouldn't be cut? you can't tell me he was good in 2009 or 2010

what's with that condescending tone you always take anyway? you can't ever seem to post anything on these boards without taking a shot at someone, what the hell is your problem?

mizzouristeeler
10-30-2011, 11:38 PM
I have also been on the fence about gay but after today, gay is ok!

tony hipchest
10-31-2011, 12:49 AM
so the fact that he was picked on a lot means he was definitely a weak link last year. so you think based on bad performance he shouldn't be cut? you can't tell me he was good in 2009 or 2010

what's with that condescending tone you always take anyway? you can't ever seem to post anything on these boards without taking a shot at someone, what the hell is your problem?i get sick of completely idiotic posts such as "cut gay, he sucks!"

if they dont like it, tough shit. this isnt a popularity contest around here and my opinion is just as valid as anyone elses (even the whiners clogging the mods inbox).

as for you personally, you can scream to fire gay or fire arians (or anybody else for that matter) all you want. just dont be afraid to be taken to task.

theres been alot of that going on around here on these boards. people say a bunch of idiotic shit, and when they are proven wrong or taken to task, they cry and whine like little thin skinned babies.

im sick of it.

if someones gonna act like an internet ali, they shouldnt cry when they are cyberpunched in the mouth.

gay lost his starting job, just like ike taylor did. gay has responded just like ike did. it is my opinion that anyone who was calling for him to be cut in the preseason dont know jack shit about the scheme, situation, or player mgmt and development.

again... if you dont like it, tuff cookies. :cookie:

:tt03:

PhantomJB93
10-31-2011, 01:17 AM
I'll admit he's been awesome this year but please don't anybody act like he wasn't awful in the past, he deserved just about every bit of criticism he received over the last couple years. It's like he's a totally new CB this year.

Fire Arians
10-31-2011, 01:17 AM
Tony, I'm always game to talk football but I don't degenerate the discussion to name calling, that's just juvenile. I find it quite odd that you're part of the staff that is expected to enforce the rules when you don't follow them yourself.

I guess we can both be glad that Gay turned it around, but seriously, 2 years of bad or substandard play gets most players pushed out of the NFL. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

And for the record, the only players / staff I thought needed the axe was mcfadden and arians. mcfadden is now riding the pine and our pass defense is #1 in the nfl, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with mcfadden losing his job cause I obviously know jack shit lol.

tony hipchest
10-31-2011, 01:32 AM
Tony, I'm always game to talk football but I don't degenerate the discussion to name calling, that's just juvenile. I find it quite odd that you're part of the staff that is expected to enforce the rules when you don't follow them yourself.

I guess we can both be glad that Gay turned it around, but seriously, 2 years of bad or substandard play gets most players pushed out of the NFL. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

And for the record, the only players / staff I thought needed the axe was mcfadden and arians. mcfadden is now riding the pine and our pass defense is #1 in the nfl, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with mcfadden losing his job cause I obviously know jack shit lol.

oh... you didnt know? im not part of "the staff". i havent been part of the staff since properly giving a member a 7 day ban for violation of the COC in the preseason.

for some reason, i still have blue letters in my SN.

i agree on the rest. i dont think mcfadden should be a starter and if he goes to the patriots next season and is aSB winning pro bowler i guess we can both expect to be taken to task. :drink:

DanRooney
10-31-2011, 01:38 AM

We all know tonyhipchest was the guy who defended Gay through thick and thin and told everyone else that he was going to have a great season...

Wait actually I only remember one person doing that and he had a big "GAY IS OKAY" banner below his posts.

He also was the one saying Brown and Sanders would be more than enough to fill the void of Hines Ward just like we saw today...

Oh wait that wasn't him either.

tony hipchest
10-31-2011, 01:44 AM
^^^^crack is wack.

#1LambertFan
10-31-2011, 03:33 AM
I specifically sought this thread out to say that as of now, Gay is OK

ebsteelers
10-31-2011, 07:43 AM
love me some billy gay.. i had faith he is rewarding us now

ebsteelers
10-31-2011, 07:44 AM
We all know tonyhipchest was the guy who defended Gay through thick and thin and told everyone else that he was going to have a great season...

Wait actually I only remember one person doing that and he had a big "GAY IS OKAY" banner below his posts.

He also was the one saying Brown and Sanders would be more than enough to fill the void of Hines Ward just like we saw today...

Oh wait that wasn't him either.

check out pre-season predictions... i said billy gay all pro.. lol.

its a work in progess.

Fire Arians
10-31-2011, 12:58 PM
oh... you didnt know? im not part of "the staff". i havent been part of the staff since properly giving a member a 7 day ban for violation of the COC in the preseason.

for some reason, i still have blue letters in my SN.

i agree on the rest. i dont think mcfadden should be a starter and if he goes to the patriots next season and is aSB winning pro bowler i guess we can both expect to be taken to task. :drink:

oh my bad i thought you were a moderator, that explains it lol.

yeah glad mcfadden got replaced with more capable bodies. hey its all good if he goes to be a pro bowler for another team, i'll be happy for him. well maybe not if it's a patriot but you get my drift :thumbsup:

stiller39
10-31-2011, 01:40 PM
GAY can play and I'm sticking to it.

DanRooney
10-31-2011, 05:28 PM
I'd love to hear an interview with Gay if someone's bold enough to ask him how he made his play dramatically improve from the past 2 seasons.

Steelersfan87
10-31-2011, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't give Gay a +4 for this game, but a +3, only because of the pass interference call. Other than that, however, he did have a very solid game against an elite QB, and played tight man coverage often in the process. His pass deflection at the end of the Patriots' last scoring drive would have kept them at 10 points had Mundy not stupidly held Gronkowski on a 4th down.

With that said, am I the only one who thinks it's time to let Keenan Lewis start and let Gay come in on nickel packages (which they have been playing in predominantly anyway)? Lewis is the better coverage corner and has been perfectly fine in run support, so I think it would make sense. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason he wasn't already starting is because there were major unknowns about him. Now that those questions are answered, I think he should be given an opportunity, although in reality it might take a bad game from Gay (or an injury) for that to happen.

ETL
10-31-2011, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't give Gay a +4 for this game, but a +3, only because of the pass interference call. Other than that, however, he did have a very solid game against an elite QB, and played tight man coverage often in the process. His pass deflection at the end of the Patriots' last scoring drive would have kept them at 10 points had Mundy not stupidly held Gronkowski on a 4th down.

With that said, am I the only one who thinks it's time to let Keenan Lewis start and let Gay come in on nickel packages (which they have been playing in predominantly anyway)? Lewis is the better coverage corner and has been perfectly fine in run support, so I think it would make sense. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason he wasn't already starting is because there were major unknowns about him. Now that those questions are answered, I think he should be given an opportunity, although in reality it might take a bad game from Gay (or an injury) for that to happen.

That was a really really late flag on the pass interference and I think it was a bogus call. Lewis is athletic but he's given up several TDs (including yesterday to Branch) this year versus none for Gay. If Gay gives up a TD - people would be calling for his head. I think Lewis is one year away from starting. I think Tomlin like what Gay has between the ears - he has more experience and is less prone to make rookie-like errors that someone like Lewis can make.

MasterOfPuppets
10-31-2011, 10:46 PM
this thread is just oozing with gay pride...:chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
10-31-2011, 10:48 PM
. I think Tomlin like what Gay has between the ears -.
his mouth ? :sofunny:

Fire Arians
10-31-2011, 11:02 PM
zzzzzzzzzing! lmao

ETL
10-31-2011, 11:06 PM
his mouth ? :sofunny:

MOP - that's some funny shite! LOL!

Steelersfan87
11-01-2011, 02:47 AM
That was a really really late flag on the pass interference and I think it was a bogus call. Lewis is athletic but he's given up several TDs (including yesterday to Branch) this year versus none for Gay. If Gay gives up a TD - people would be calling for his head. I think Lewis is one year away from starting. I think Tomlin like what Gay has between the ears - he has more experience and is less prone to make rookie-like errors that someone like Lewis can make.

The call was certainly not bogus. The flag was late, but the infraction was commited. Also, according to Steelers Depot, the only other TD Lewis gave up was the one against the Titans, which, if I recall correctly, was in garbage time and on a play in which Mundy was supposed to, but failed to, provide over the top support. The Branch TD is tough to really fault Lewis on. It was a very quick and precise route and placed only where the receiver could even sniff it. It was a perfect throw, and there's no defense for a perfect throw.

ricardisimo
11-01-2011, 09:22 AM
It was a very quick and precise route and placed only where the receiver could even sniff it. It was a perfect throw, and there's no defense for a perfect throw.
Sure there is... holding. Still, this came up in a similar thread with the Jordy Nelson TD in the SB, and I wish people cut Gay the same slack. There was no defending that pass.

:nono:
ETL was not alone, and probably not the first to rush to William Gay's defense on these boards. As I recall, Steeldude and myself were telling people from day one they were criticizing the wrong guy. I'm claiming my props.

ETL
11-01-2011, 10:53 PM
ETL was not alone, and probably not the first to rush to William Gay's defense on these boards. As I recall, Steeldude and myself were telling people from day one they were criticizing the wrong guy. I'm claiming my props.

Affirmed. Yes - Ricardisimo was an original Gay supporter.

DanRooney
11-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Sure there is... holding. Still, this came up in a similar thread with the Jordy Nelson TD in the SB, and I wish people cut Gay the same slack. There was no defending that pass.

:hatsoff:

Steelersfan87
11-02-2011, 01:21 AM
I was an original Gay Supporter as well. I was also a Lewis Supporter. I'm not sure how many of those there were.

it seems that Keenan Lewis has a reasonable shot at being the new nickel back, which should improve the secondary.

Keenan Lewis showed a lot of potential in the preseason last year up until he faltered when given the start against the Broncos, and everything that I have read so far for this camp is that he has done very well so far. Steelers Digest said that he is the only corner so far (with Ike and Gay not able to practice at the time) that can cover Mike Wallace deep. I think there is a reasonable chance that Keenan Lewis becomes a significant contributor in his 3rd season, if not as a nickel back, then as a dime back, which I suspect the Steelers would be more comfortable using this year as opposed to last. They were using Joe Burnett 2 years ago and he's certainly better than Burnett.

Now that leaves Keenan Lewis. Lewis' rookie season was plagued by nagging injuries that prevented him from seeing any significant time. He was given the opportunity to shine in the preseason the next year, but his mental makeup, not his physical attributes, failed him in the preseason. At this point he was relegated to special teams play, where he continued to blunder a few more times. Frankly, I don't care how good of a special teams player Lewis can be. Curtis Brown is purportedly an excellent special teams player and can take his spot on that squad. What I'm interested in is if Lewis can perform at his position. He flashed a good deal in training camp and preseason last year and from all reports is doing so again this year. I have read that Lewis is the only DB that can consistently run with Wallace deep. He has a lot of potential. His story with the Steelers is obviously not completely written, so don't be quick to dismiss him as a bust just yet. The better Lewis does, the better the Steelers are as a team. We must wait to see what happens during the preseason games, but I feel that he has a chance to earn the nickel role to start the season. He is entering his third season and therefore should have the system down fully, so it should just be down to his natural abilities.

Lewis may even unseat McFadden at some point this year, although he has an awful lot to prove before that can happen.

Being able to cover better and being a better cornerback, especially a better cornerback in a specific scheme, are very different things. Ideally, Keenan Lewis at some point will be able to unseat McFadden, moving him to the nickel spot, and either Crezdon Butler or Curtis Brown could then fight Gay and McFadden for the nickel and dime spots. It would be a huge asset to the defense to be able to successfully run a dime package, especially with players with better pure cover abilities than McFadden and Gay (Lewis and Brown in particular).

Besides, the trade allowed the Steelers to draft both Mike Wallace (a number 1 receiver and among the top 10 in the league, arguably) and Keenan Lewis (who looks to finally contribute significantly this year and hopefully improve one of the weaker units on this team).

Why not start Lewis and bring Gay in for the nickel instead of moving Gay over to the nickel when he comes in so Lewis can play outside?

etc.

ricardisimo
11-02-2011, 01:51 AM
I'd love to hear an interview with Gay if someone's bold enough to ask him how he made his play dramatically improve from the past 2 seasons.
Might have something to do with that new girlfriend of his from the other thread. I'd play hard for her. Harder... I meant to say harder.