06-13-2006, 12:36 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06164/697867-100.stm

Awwwwww yeah.... :smile:

LuckyNumber7
06-13-2006, 12:38 PM
HAHA YEA BOY!

section514
06-13-2006, 12:41 PM
If this article is repeated in the paper on July 13, I will smile. Right now that article is a shot of novicane for Steeler Nation.

DIESELMAN
06-13-2006, 12:41 PM
he still has to deal with BC.........It ain't going to be pretty

LuckyNumber7
06-13-2006, 12:43 PM
If this article is repeated in the paper on July 13, I will smile. Right now that article is a shot of novicane for Steeler Nation.

Sure is working lol

Ambridge
06-13-2006, 12:50 PM

Once Ben gets out of the hospital and starts to recuperate he's probably going to be facing a huge backlash coming from all directions about not wearing the helmet.

SteelersWyo
06-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Can't see it. He will lose at least 20 pounds over the seven weeks of having his jaw wired shut. His arm strength will go way down. Leg strength. And so on. He will be no where near game quality when the season opens.

Hawk Believer
06-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Once Ben gets out of the hospital and starts to recuperate he's probably going to be facing a huge backlash coming from all directions about not wearing the helmet.
Funny how that works in cases like this. You pray and hope that someone is gonna get better. Then when they are OK, you want to smack them around because they freaked you out so much...

BBC
06-13-2006, 12:58 PM
I don't mean to be negative, but it seems like it's all just speculation by the Post Gazette. I didn't see any doctors claim when he'll be back, just that he only had facial surgery. These things could take a while to be able to take a hit from say...Julius Peppers, who Ben will meet in the last pre-season game before the real season starts. I wouldn't put too much stock into when the Post Gazette thinks he'll be back.

I do hope they're right and I'm wrong though.

Steelers
06-13-2006, 01:02 PM
I don't mean to be negative, but it seems like it's all just speculation by the Post Gazette.

"...the Steelers are confident he should heal and be ready to play in the season opener Sept. 7 against the Miami Dolphins, sources told the Post-Gazette today."

It's the Steelers, not just the PG.

HburgXL06
06-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Can't see it. He will lose at least 20 pounds over the seven weeks of having his jaw wired shut. His arm strength will go way down. Leg strength. And so on. He will be no where near game quality when the season opens.

That's why they have Ensure. The shit don't taste great but four of the *Plus kind and you will get all the nutrients you need a day. 6 a day and you can likely maintain if not gain some weight. I'm sure the trainers there will be workin on his diet.

BuFu

BBC
06-13-2006, 01:07 PM
"...the Steelers are confident he should heal and be ready to play in the season opener Sept. 7 against the Miami Dolphins, sources told the Post-Gazette today."

It's the Steelers, not just the PG.

Somehow I missed that. I hope they're right, but I don't think he'll be able to take a real hit after only 8 weeks. Now, if he were a lawyer, then yes I could definitely see it, but football is such a physically demanding job, that your body needs to be in much better health than it needs to be for most other jobs.

Ambridge
06-13-2006, 01:11 PM

Unless Ben is sitting on the couch and slurping down liquified Bon-Bons for the rest of the summer I don't think he should be that far out of shape.

I'm sure the Steelers Trainers/Doctors will find a way to get Ben the proper nutrition to keep his weight up even though it may be through a straw and I don't think the facial injuries should keep him from working out his legs and throwing the ball around.

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 01:31 PM
While I feel it's way too early to make that assumption, it's encouraging news nonetheless.

WWIIOwheelz
06-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Physically he might be ready, but I'm telling you, he had his bell rung hard. Unless you've had that happen, it's difficult to describe. This is very encouraging, though! :)

Liz
06-13-2006, 01:38 PM

I dont think Bill will tear him apart, maybe just say have you learned your lesson..But I doubt there will be any guilt tripping or harsh words coming from his part. The accident is testimony enough that he wont do something like that again..

LeXX75
06-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Agree with Liz ....what does Cowher have to gain by flippin on him.........if he didn't learn his lesson from what happened, whats Cowher gonna be able to say to make him learn it any better......

SteelCityMan786
06-13-2006, 01:51 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06164/697867-100.stm

Awwwwww yeah.... :smile:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! If this remains the same sunday I will be even more happier.

section514
06-13-2006, 01:54 PM
i wont believe it until he takes a snap on thursday night vs. Dante and the fins

Prosdo
06-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Very good news!

Atlanta Dan
06-13-2006, 02:57 PM
With regard to broken jaw recovery times, anyone recall how long Kerry Collins was out of commission after Romanowski broke Collins' jaw during a game several years ago?

I know a broken jaw is a serious injury but I do not believe it as if we are talking torn ACL/MCL recovery time frames here.

tony hipchest
06-13-2006, 03:02 PM
greg lloyd broke brett farves jaw in a preseason game. as we know farve has never missed a regular season game. (he did get hooked on the vicodins he was taking though) im not sure about kerry but i think he just had a helmet formulated to protect the injury. i dont think he was out for more than a month.

SteelerFanInCA
06-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Either way, I love the optimism coming from The Steelers FO.

qtk1
06-13-2006, 03:22 PM
I read in the paper today that it was worse then origanaly thought. He could be out for season. This is not a offical steelers quote or even out of a pit paper. So I dont know if it is ture or not. Just wanted to let you guys know it as said.

BBC
06-13-2006, 03:41 PM
I read in the paper today that it was worse then origanaly thought. He could be out for season. This is not a offical steelers quote or even out of a pit paper. So I dont know if it is ture or not. Just wanted to let you guys know it as said.

Completely false. The situation is much better than originally thought. There is no chance of Ben being out the entire season with only a broken jaw, nose, and mild concussion.

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Completely false. The situation is much better than originally thought. There is no chance of Ben being out the entire season with only a broken jaw, nose, and mild concussion.

I agree. This is why I would rather get my news from the local stations here in Pittsburgh. While I still don't see him making the opener, he will be on the field this upcoming season.

geran42o
06-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Thank God!! HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO

Ohio Steeler
06-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Thank God!! HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO

:tt: :tt:

BigDude66687
06-13-2006, 03:48 PM
wow just wow, he/we got so lucky good to hear that he'll be shipshape soon enough

BAS
06-13-2006, 03:53 PM
With regard to broken jaw recovery times, anyone recall how long Kerry Collins was out of commission after Romanowski broke Collins' jaw during a game several years ago?

I know a broken jaw is a serious injury but I do not believe it as if we are talking torn ACL/MCL recovery time frames here.

Peyton Manning had his jaw broken during the regular season back in 2001 and didn't miss a game.

Granted... Manning's jaw may have been much less severe than Ben's, but Ben has the benefit of it being the offseason.

Suitanim
06-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Yo, what's up Bruce?

melroseplace
06-13-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm sure the Steelers Trainers/Doctors will find a way to get Ben the proper nutrition to keep his weight up even though it may be through a straw and I don't think the facial injuries should keep him from working out his legs and throwing the ball around.

I'm not worried about him not keeping weight on/his arm not being ready, it's the hard hitting I'm worried about. first of all there's the mentality of it, which I think after a game or two he'll manage to get over. there's also the physical aspect of it...there's no way to be 100% sure that he's ready to take a hit. and if he is ready to take one, how hard? I don't want to see his health and entire career put on the line

qtk1
06-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Ok I didnt think it was true. It wasnt even a cincy paper it was a small town paper from around dayton. I didnt see it being true. They would have known right away if it was that bad.

SteelerFanInCA
06-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Ok I didnt think it was true. It wasnt even a cincy paper it was a small town paper from around dayton. I didnt see it being true. They would have known right away if it was that bad.
Cincy paper? That would definitely explain the inaccuracy.

BAS
06-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Yo, what's up Bruce?

Nothing much... just expanding my horizons.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-13-2006, 05:11 PM
I think it's accurate that he'll play in the season opener.A broken jaw,nose,and mild concussion and with it being in the offseason is a big plus.He'll be healed from the concussion before training camp and the jaw and nose should be healed by the time the preseason is over.

And about Ben being hit,it's more mental when you get hurt in a game than in an auto accident.And if there is any effect on him,he'll get over it in the preseason.

The trainers will make sure he gets the nutrition he needs and he'll still be lifting weights and throwing the football,so I don't see him losing strength either.