PDA

View Full Version : Gronkowski believes he had a TD

mesaSteeler
10-30-2011, 11:11 PM
(Even after an getting their asses kicked you can always count on the Cheats to whine. - mesa)
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4707724/gronkowski-believes-he-had-a-td
Gronkowski believes he had a TD
October, 30, 2011
Oct 308:54PM ET

By Chris Forsberg

PITTSBURGH -- Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski is certain he was in the end zone when he hauled in a pass from Tom Brady with little more than four minutes remaining in Sunday's 25-17 loss to the Steelers at Heinz Field.

But Gronkowski also knows that, with the Patriots trailing by two scores and attempting to rally in the final minutes, the team couldn't afford to potentially risk a timeout in order to review the play. But while New England ultimately punched in the score, it took nearly 90 additional seconds to do such, costing the team valuable time that might have prevented the opportunity to come from behind.

"It's such a quick situation -- that was the call, we just have to move on," said Gronkowski. "We needed the timeouts, so you can’t even risk it. I mean, that's what the ref called, so we just moved on. We eventually scored, which is good, but, throughout whole game, we gotta play as a team better, we gotta execute better out there."

Charles LeClaire/US PresswireRob Gronkowski wasn't so emphatic when officials ruled his 4th-quarter grab short of the end zone.
"I thought about it, but there was no evidence to challenge it," head coach Bill Belichick said after the game. "I certainly couldn't see it from my angle and they replayed the play in the box. There was nothing to tell us."

Gronkowski was ruled short of the goal line on an 8-yard grab, setting up 3rd-and-1, and not only did Kevin Faulk get turned away on another short pass, but it took the Patriots nearly the entire play clock to get that play off. On fourth down, Gronkowski got held, giving New England a new set of downs. Finally, with 2:35 to play, Aaron Hernandez caught a 1-yard touchdown pass from Brady to pull the Patriots within six at 23-17.

Short on time, New England elected to go for an onside kick, and even though they eventually got the ball back with a final gasp, Brady was sacked leading to a safety that sealed Pittsburgh's triumph.

Did Brady think Gronkowski was in the end zone?

"It's not really up to me," said Brady. "I don’ know how it looked on TV."

Informed it was close, he smiled and considered how to properly phrase his opinion.

"I wish they’d have reviewed it," said Brady. "But they didn’t. We kept fighting until the end, like we always do."

OX1947
10-31-2011, 12:42 AM
He did score. And the genius cost his team two more minutes by not challenging it. Oh well, sucks for him, hahahahahahahahaha

JCPsteelers
10-31-2011, 12:56 AM
yeah he did score. Not sure its whining. NFL is supposed to review every possible scoring play so not sure wtf the pats are supposed to do. Thank Godell for that.

tony hipchest
10-31-2011, 01:12 AM
them not reviewing it and saving more time cost us the opportunity to score another TD after we owned brady and scored a safety.

PhantomJB93
10-31-2011, 01:16 AM
He had the TD but it's their fault they didn't challenge it...

StainlessStill
10-31-2011, 01:20 AM
He did score. And the genius cost his team two more minutes by not challenging it. Oh well, sucks for him, hahahahahahahahaha

You know, that may be true, but I blame Brady just as equally. It took him ATLEAST 10 long seconds to snap the ball on that next play. I don't know if he was waiting for the challenge flag but N.E's O took forever to lineup and snap the ball afterward. Clark's STICK on Faulk was impressive. Chewed some more time!

OX1947
10-31-2011, 02:39 AM
You know, that may be true, but I blame Brady just as equally. It took him ATLEAST 10 long seconds to snap the ball on that next play. I don't know if he was waiting for the challenge flag but N.E's O took forever to lineup and snap the ball afterward. Clark's STICK on Faulk was impressive. Chewed some more time!

Tom Brady, their coach and their entire fan base can all eat shit and die for all I care. I can't stand that team or it's region. I'm a Laker fan so I have double hatred for the Northeast. Triple if you count BSPN the last decade which has turned into nothing more then a tabloid ***** network.

plenewken
10-31-2011, 06:15 AM
He had the TD but it's their fault they didn't challenge it...

Exactly

Rick5895
10-31-2011, 06:20 AM
yeah he did score. Not sure its whining. NFL is supposed to review every possible scoring play so not sure wtf the pats are supposed to do. Thank Godell for that.

The review is for scoring plays, so since it wasn't ruled a TD first ...no automatic review.

Looks good on the cheater for botching the review. Maybe he is starting to revert back to his old Cleveland browns days, LOL.

Curtain_of_Steel
10-31-2011, 07:56 AM
I do believe the rule is: "The nfl will review ALL plays resulting in a TD." The ref never signaled TD, therefore it was on Belicheck to toss the red flag and challenge it. If he did its quite possible it would've been reviewed and over turned.

A non td with more than 2 mins to go, is not an automatic reviewable play. Bill didn't want to waste a time out in case he didn't get it. Bad move.

ebsteelers
10-31-2011, 07:58 AM

right, but it wasnt a scoring play..

if it was ruled a touchdown then it could of been reversed but since he was rule down short the pats would have had to challenge it

steelfury02
10-31-2011, 08:00 AM
I take comfort in the fact that if we continue on this path we own the AFC and there is nothing that Marsha and Darth Cheat can do about it - they no longer have the formula because we took it from them.

We are far and away the better team - they've been winning a ton of regular season games by passing 60 to 70 percent of the time, hoping to hide a horrible pass rush and horrible secondary but we are the 3rd team to expose it (Bills, Cowbutts((who should have won)) )

If it holds, with the Bills, Jets, and Ravens in the mix - there is no guarantee the Patriots would even sniff Heinz field again - they look very, VERY beatable and not just by one team. Keep Brady on the bench and you win - pretty plain and simple

TRH
10-31-2011, 08:13 AM
yeah, well, cry about it NE. They scored a minute later (and i'm GLAD they did or we'd REALLY be hearing about it today).
Bottom line: Even if it was called a score, it doesn't change the outcome of the game. If anything, the score really should have been farther apart due to the lucky interception break they got in the 1st half.

theplatypus
10-31-2011, 08:17 AM
yeah, well, cry about it NE. They scored a minute later (and i'm GLAD they did or we'd REALLY be hearing about it today).
Bottom line: Even if it was called a score, it doesn't change the outcome of the game. If anything, the score really should have been farther apart due to the lucky interception break they got in the 1st half.

I wouldn't call it luck. Bellichek made an adjustment to try and take away the middle of the field and Ben missed the read entirely.

TRH
10-31-2011, 08:24 AM
I wouldn't call it luck. Bellichek made an adjustment to try and take away the middle of the field and Ben missed the read entirely.

understood...but it was still a break they should not have gotten. The game wasn't as close as the score says it was.
Like i said, i'm glad they scored a minute later...otherwise we'd be hearing today over and over and over how the Pats should have won the game, etc, etc, etc.

FanSince72
10-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Just be glad that didn't happen in Foxboro or the FBI would have been there with a forensics team and several of our guys would have probably been arrested for trying to make Brady look bad.

GMU Steeler
10-31-2011, 09:00 AM
Then he should have asked his coach to challenge it then. It's a mute point anyhow since they did later score.

stlrtruck
10-31-2011, 09:12 AM
I believe it was a TD, similar to Holmes' TD a few years ago against the ratbirds.

Don't know why they didn't challenge it, but hey blame your coach, not the officials.

Steelersfan87
10-31-2011, 06:44 PM
Granted that I say this without having watched any replays after the game, but I didn't see conclusive evidence during the broadcast that Gronkowski secured possession of the ball before he was knocked out of the end zone. I very well could be wrong, but then again, it doesn't matter anyway.

Buddha Bus
10-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Just be glad that didn't happen in Foxboro or the FBI would have been there with a forensics team and several of our guys would have probably been arrested for trying to make Brady look bad.

And don't forget the obligatory James Harrison fine (just because) and the extra 2 first round picks for the Cheats. :chuckle:

mikegrimey
10-31-2011, 07:05 PM
He did actually score and I don't think the comments in this article constitutes as whining.

I also noticed Ben approached the referee after a failed 3rd and goal play to ask why a flag wasn't thrown

If Brady had done this what kind of homophobic jokes and accusations would be levied against him?

SH-Rock
10-31-2011, 07:35 PM
It was a TD, but the reason Belicheck didn't challenge I believe is because he didn't want to lose the TO if they were wrong.

Rinkleroot
10-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Pats fans are a bunch of whiney ******* , if anything the refs give them the advantage every damn game.