PDA

View Full Version : Patriots defense a horror

mesaSteeler
10-31-2011, 06:14 AM
(The Cheat defense wasn't the only "horror" out there. Though in the case of Shady Brady and Belicheat I'd spell it with a "w". - mesa)

Patriots defense a horror
Monday, October 31, 2011
By Dan Shaughnessy, Boston Globe

Watching the Patriots beat the Steelers at Heinz Field used to be one of those certainties of life; like Springsteen selling out the Meadowlands in less than an hour. In the immortal words of Pedro Martinez, the Patriots were the Steelers' daddies.

No more. The Steelers spanked your football team Sunday, walking out of the Big Ketchup Bottle with a 25-17 victory that felt like a blowout.

"It wasn't our best day out there," said Tom Brady, who came into the afternoon with a 6-1 career record against the Steelers.

Amen, brother Tom.

Looking back now, it's hard to believe the Patriots were favored in this one. New England is a 5-2 football team, but the Patriots have been artificially enlarged by opponent gaffes, perhaps owed to the intimidation most coaches feel when in the presence of Bill Belichick.

Think about it: other than Rex Ryan most of the coaches bow at the altar of the Hoodie and it makes them do dumb things. Players, too. They all turn into puddles in the presence of New England's institutional greatness and that's how you get Jason Garrett playing not to lose, Jason Campbell throwing the ball to the wrong team, and Norv Turner doing what Norv Turner does.

The Patriots have some to gratefully rely on this kindness of strangers and that is how they came to be a team that once again looks like a first-round playoff suspect.

The bend-but-don't break defense looks broken into a million little pieces.

Belichick certainly knows a lot more about football than any of us will ever forget, but we have to wonder about the conga line of experienced defensive backs who've been cut loose since the end of training camp. First it was big ticket James Sanders. Then it was two-time pro-bowler Brandon Meriweather. And last week it was $3.9 million dollar man Leigh Bodden.

Cutting payroll and experience, the Patriots have left themselves with a suspect crew of defensive backs, bound to be exposed when you don't have a pass rush.

Everyone throws for 300 yards against the Patriots. Ben Roethlisberger rang up 365 yards and converted 10 of 16 third downs.

All Tom Brady could do was watch . . . literally. The Steelers offense was on the field for 39:22, which left the Patriots with a time of possession of 20:38.

In other words the Steelers had the ball twice as much as the Patriots.

The New England defense was so bad that Belichick elected to go with a on-side kick with the Patriots trailing by six with 2:40 remaining in the game.

Got that? The Patriots had a three timeouts, plus the two minute warning in front of them. All they needed was one three-and-out and Brady would get the ball back for one of those game-winning drives.

Unfortnately, Stephen Gostkowski's on-side kick looked like the old Charlie Brown, Lucy takeaway play. Gostkowski's dribbler didn't go the necessary 10 yards and for all practical puproses, the game was over.

Try to remember that this is not one of the better Steeler teams you have seen. The Steelers are 6-2, but Sunday was the Steelers' first quality win. The other five victories: Seattle, Indianapolis, Tenessee, Jacksonville, Arizona.

In a year in which there is no dominant team in the AFC, the Pats and Steelers could very well meet again in the playoffs. There would be some nice symmetry to that matchup. The Patriots like to think of themselves as the dynasty of the 21st century, but since New England last won a Super Bowl the Steelers have appeared in the Roman Numeral game three times, winning twice.

Dan Shaughnessy writes for the Boston Globe.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11304/1186426-66-0.stm#ixzz1cMBHIO33

steelfury02
10-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the news from the losing side.

What Mr. Boston Globe fails to mention is that their wins are against

Dolphins (winless)
Chargers (4-2 with wins against Vikings, Chiefs, Dolphins, Broncos)
Raiders (mediocre 4-3)
Jets (the best team they faced IMHO) that is also 4-3
Cowboys (overrated 3-4)

So exactly why are we talking teams beaten ? We just beat you - shut it already lol this is a non factor and the most laughable part is that they said this isn't the best Steelers team they faced - well guess what - it is certainly the most explosive Steelers team offensively they've faced so the guy doesn't know squat.

Much like the team, the fans just can't stop finding reasons except for the obvious one - that we are the better team

TRH
10-31-2011, 08:36 AM
good article. But the one thing i hated about living in NE when i did (thankfully i don't anymore), was that even when their press HAD to write in defeat or acknowledge a loss, they always have to throw some disparaging shot in there (beginning of article : Pats were the Steelers daddies). Always. They always have to throw "something" in..
Those people were the rudest, nastiest, most miserable people i've been around in my life.

steelfury02
10-31-2011, 08:38 AM
I dunno - I live in MD - there are some pretty miserable Ravens fans down here crapping themselves after witnessing a near meltdown against the Cards and seeing us solve the Cheats.

They know we are primed for some good old fashioned revenge.

Quasar
10-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Try to remember that this is not one of the better Steeler teams you have seen. The Steelers are 6-2, but Sunday was the Steelers' first quality win. The other five victories: Seattle, Indianapolis, Tenessee, Jacksonville, Arizona.

Uh, Tennessee has a winning record (4-3), and Pittsburgh beat them 38-17. How is that not a quality win?

tanda10506
10-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Uh, Tennessee has a winning record (4-3), and Pittsburgh beat them 38-17. How is that not a quality win?

We blew them out too, not just a win.

Fire Arians
10-31-2011, 01:06 PM
tennessee is a good team. they aren't champion caliber but will probably be 9-7 or 10-6 and wild card. that is a quality win.

Bayz101
10-31-2011, 01:10 PM
I guess Halloween is a good time to show off your horrific defense, right? I wonder how many steelers fans dressed as cameras!

:tt02: