PDA

View Full Version : Remember Koch's two-point play? The Steelers will

mesaSteeler
10-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Remember Koch's two-point play? The Steelers will
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-sportsblitz-ravens-steelers-sam-koch-two-point-conversion1031,0,3593799.story
By Matt Vensel

1:30 p.m. EDT, October 31, 2011

Remember Sam Koch's seemingly-unnecessary two-point conversion scored on a fake extra point in the 35-7 win over the Steelers in Week 1? You can be sure the Steelers do, and I'm guessing it will be a popular topic of discussion this week as the Ravens and Steelers gear up for Sunday night's rematch in Pittsburgh.

With the Ravens leading, 27-7, in the third quarter after an Ed Dickson touchdown catch, Koch, the Ravens' punter and holder on field goals, caught the snap from Morgan Cox and ran to his left into the end zone for two points. Koch said the Ravens were just trying to put up points and were not trying to send a message.

“You’ve got the Steelers and the Ravens, which is such a bitter rivalry year-in and year-out,” he said after the win. “Rubbing it in their faces is definitely not the answer because you never know what can happen.”

Ravens coach John Harbaugh was asked the day after the game to explain the decision to go for two.

“Sometimes you go with your head, sometimes you go with your heart,” Harbaugh said. “The second decision was probably going with my heart. I felt like we were going to get it. I felt like we could get it, and I thought we could really put the nail in the coffin. Twenty-five is better than 22. What would it have been then? Twenty-nine is better than 25. Sometimes a little more… How much is enough? Just a little bit more.”

But after the blowout, as the Steelers left Baltimore with their tails between their legs, salty Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said that being embarrassed by the Ravens like that “leaves a taste in your mouth."

“The two-point conversion. The passing at the end,” Ward said. “We'll remember everything."

Neither team needs bulletin-board material in this rivalry, but you can be sure Steelers coach Mike Tomlin will show Koch’s two-point play, show in the video below, to his team at least once or twice during the week.

Fire Arians
10-31-2011, 08:12 PM
awesome. i was a little worried they'd have a post-new england hangover but it's comforting to know the team will be fired up for the ravens

RatbirdExtreme
10-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Please. Go back and look at the play. If you stack the line on one side like that, what do you expect? I probably could have trotted in for the conversion with a hole like that.

And to take it one step further, to you maybe the game was out of reach. But I'm sure if you search your memory, you will recall the Ravens do have a history of blowing leads against the Steelers.

And to take it one step even further, lets face it. Raven coaches get a case of the stupids when it comes to beating the Steelers. I'm still annoyed at Billick for leaving the starters in and getting a meaningless OT victory against the Steelers and losing in the first round of the playoffs.

jjpro11
10-31-2011, 09:19 PM
i thought it was dumb on their part.. why not save it for a close game when it would actually mean something? now that they tipped their hand, every team will be ready for it.

Fire Arians
10-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Please. Go back and look at the play. If you stack the line on one side like that, what do you expect? I probably could have trotted in for the conversion with a hole like that.

And to take it one step further, to you maybe the game was out of reach. But I'm sure if you search your memory, you will recall the Ravens do have a history of blowing leads against the Steelers.

And to take it one step even further, lets face it. Raven coaches get a case of the stupids when it comes to beating the Steelers. I'm still annoyed at Billick for leaving the starters in and getting a meaningless OT victory against the Steelers and losing in the first round of the playoffs.

call it what you want, we weren't born yesterday, that was clearly a 'rub it in your face' move. It's not like a 2 pt conversion would have mattered at that point in the game.

If they were actually fearing a late-game comeback by the steelers, I would think it would be too much of a risk to lose the game by 1 point because of a failed conversion, rather than taking the automatic point, and holding an already dominant lead.

harbaugh knew what he was doing, he was trying to stuff the win in our face and establish their dominance over the steelers. now it's coming back to potentially bite them. The season wasn't over in week 1, and now you have an angry steelers team waiting for them, riding a wave of momentum. baltimore better wake up or else it's going to look like a lot like week 1, except it'll be them on the receiving end of an ass whipping

stlrtruck
11-01-2011, 06:23 AM
The ratbirds wanted to make a statement in week 1, and they made it.

Now they have to make another statement on the big Sunday night stage. Let's all go back in history when the ratbirds FO requested not to play a prime time game in Pittsburgh. Well the stage is back up, the lights are on, and the ratbirds now have to back up their statement from week 1. Don't back track now.

REDEMPTION SUNDAY!

Nevermore
11-01-2011, 11:27 AM
This is so ridiculous. Was Baltimore trying to dominate the Steelers completely? Absolutely. If we hadn't gone for the two point conversion or thrown at the end of the game, would the Steelers have forgotten they got their ass kicked week 1? No. So... I say own it. The Steelers don't need bulletin board material to show up ready to go. Yeah, we stomped your ass.... period. Sunday is a new game and hopefully both teams will be ready. I think the first 15 minutes will determine the game. As dominant as the Bathroom Bandit has been for you guys lately throwing all over defenses and how god awful the Baltimore O has looked in 6 of its last 8 quarters, the first quarter will be very important.

Here's to a great game and a Raven's victory! Either way we are all gonna be dragging ass at work on Monday!

STEELAMANIA
11-01-2011, 11:34 AM
This is so ridiculous. Was Baltimore trying to dominate the Steelers completely? Absolutely. If we hadn't gone for the two point conversion or thrown at the end of the game, would the Steelers have forgotten they got their ass kicked week 1? No. So... I say own it. The Steelers don't need bulletin board material to show up ready to go. Yeah, we stomped your ass.... period. Sunday is a new game and hopefully both teams will be ready. I think the first 15 minutes will determine the game. As dominant as the Bathroom Bandit has been for you guys lately throwing all over defenses and how god awful the Baltimore O has looked in 6 of its last 8 quarters, the first quarter will be very important.

Here's to a great game and a Raven's victory! Either way we are all gonna be dragging ass at work on Monday!

I don't think that the Ravens will be ready. They did dodge a bullet vs the Cards..... they just don't look like a team that can win in January. Flacco is horrible, and you do have to admit it.

Fire Arians
11-01-2011, 11:36 AM
I don't think that the Ravens will be ready. They did dodge a bullet vs the Cards..... they just don't look like a team that can win in January. Flacco is horrible, and you do have to admit it.

Flacco hasn't been playing well, but I expect the ravens defense to show up and play inspired. the game will be a close one.

what worries me about this game now is woodley being out. having an injured lb corps is bad news when you have ray rice coming to town. But I think we will pull it off.

tanda10506
11-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Flacco hasn't been playing well, but I expect the ravens defense to show up and play inspired. the game will be a close one.

what worries me about this game now is woodley being out. having an injured lb corps is bad news when you have ray rice coming to town. But I think we will pull it off.

I agree, the way they have been playing I thought we could blow them out, but missing Woodley and Harrion means they will be at least mildly succesfull running the ball. Turnovers will be huge.

Nevermore
11-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Flacco is horrible, and you do have to admit it.

Flacco is horribly inconsistent. He has the ability to be the great QB we hoped for and the ability to be worse than Tebow. So the question is which QB shows up on Sunday. The difference between the first half and the second half was night and day. If the second half Flacco shows up for the whole game, this will be a great matchup. If not... The Steelers should blow us out. Your win against NE was a good one, but Baltimores defense is considerably better and hopefully harbaugh won't be so stupid as to try an abysmal onside kick with2:40 left and 3 timeouts.

We'll all just have to wait til Sunday to see what #5 runs onto the field. If he is on, we win.