PDA

View Full Version : Steelers might play a 4-3?

Fire Arians
11-01-2011, 12:54 PM
From Steelers Depot: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/11/steelers-mike-tomlin-press-conference-ravens-week-9-2011/

Tomlin mentions if Worilds isn't able to go this weekend, they make be capable of playing 4 defensive linemen. Interesting.

also doesn't look like Woodley is ruled out just yet. The media has had a lot of buzz around woodley, but I'll believe what Tomlin says over what the media says.

tanda10506
11-01-2011, 01:43 PM
It goes back and forth with Woodley. If Woodley plays, stay 3-4 and go nickle sometimes. Going 4-3 sounds good but we only have 5 active DL to my knowledge. Would we play another NT or Heyward on the outside and move Keisel or Hood in? 4-3 would definetly surprise them, but it might surprise us too.

ricardisimo
11-01-2011, 03:51 PM
According to Lebeau (a quote from last year, I believe) they mix in 4-3 alignments all the time. Not sure it would be that surprising. What's surprising is announcing it in the media so far ahead of game time. :doh:

PhantomJB93
11-01-2011, 03:55 PM
According to Lebeau (a quote from last year, I believe) they mix in 4-3 alignments all the time. Not sure it would be that surprising. What's surprising is announcing it in the media so far ahead of game time. :doh:

Yeah I mean I've seen 4-3 here and there over the years but never for an extended period of time, it's usually just for one play if that....

Considering how well our secondary played last Sunday, I would not mind experimenting with this. In the past we've been strictly 3-4 because of our emphasis on zone, but if LeBeau uses the man coverage he used last week (and the corners can execute it as well again), I think going 4 Dlinemen could be a much better option than throwing Carter and Worilds into the fire and expecting them to get pressure and stop the run well...

Rick5895
11-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Woodley is a prototypical 4-3 DE. If they went to that and Woodley was healthy it would be interesting to see with Woodley, Keisel at DE Heyward, Hood and Hampton rotating in the DT. Foote at mike, Timmon at will and Sly at Sam (just my opinion), I think that would be very interesting. It would definately cross up the Ratbirds

DanRooney
11-01-2011, 04:44 PM
I expect to see a lot of Cameron Heyward if we do...

SunshineMan21
11-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Foote and Timmons both play well in a 4-3 . . . might be an option if we're missing Woodley, as it would effectively let us start Heyward or Hoke instead of one of the young LBs.

tony hipchest
11-01-2011, 05:33 PM

its actually pretty smart if the ravens spend half their limited practice time focused on looks they may not even see.

tomlin said today that keisel is very capable of playing OLB. i expect to see him lined up on the outside more than a few times in 3-4 where technically we have 4 DL on the field.

tanda10506
11-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Keisel at OLB??? There's going to be some weird formations/personnel setups out there Sunday, hopefully it fools them. Just sucks it has to be like that for this game!!:banging:

Fire Arians
11-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Keisel at OLB??? There's going to be some weird formations/personnel setups out there Sunday, hopefully it fools them. Just sucks it has to be like that for this game!!:banging:

hey if lebeau thinks he's capable then why not? majority of our OLB's are converted DE's, and Keisel has a motor for a big man. And hell it's not like he's much bigger than Woodley, they're probably around the same size. Probably would weigh less if they made him shave the beard :chuckle:. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked tbh.

SunshineMan21
11-01-2011, 10:04 PM
hey if lebeau thinks he's capable then why not? majority of our OLB's are converted DE's, and Keisel has a motor for a big man. And hell it's not like he's much bigger than Woodley, they're probably around the same size. Probably would weigh less if they made him shave the beard :chuckle:. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked tbh.

Keisel has 25 lbs. on Woodley.

madtowndrunkard
11-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I don't see us playing press coverage like we did against the Pats.

Defensively the focus is going to be on stopping the run. I wouldn't be shocked to see Troy or Clark playing up like a LB most of the game....and locked on to Ray Rice. 3-4 or 4-3? I don't think it really matters. We'll have our hands full stopping Rice and you know the Ravens will try to exploit our issues at LB. not just running either. Expect plenty of passes to TE's and RB's to test our speed to the outside.

Offensively I think we should go after the Ravens the same way we went after NE. Quick passes early and often. We need an early lead in this game more then anything.

Steelersfan87
11-01-2011, 11:35 PM
We probably WILL play some press coverage, though certainly not like 70%+ like against the Patriots. They will have to out of necessity. With their top pass rushers off the field, they will need to force Flacco to hold on to the ball longer. And with 3 of your 4 best LBs on the sidelines, you might as well play with an extra DB often.

steelers33
11-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Hood Hampton Keisel with Heyward McLendon rotation
Carter Foote Timmons Worilds

This couldn't be all that bad. Our DL and secondary are playing well which could take pressure off those linebackers. Foote has been playing well and Timmons will be back in his natural position. Just time to see if Worilds is healthy and what he can bring to the future of this team.