PDA

View Full Version : Steelers last in turnover ratio

steelerchad
11-01-2011, 01:20 PM
The Steelers have the best record in the AFC at 6-2 and are currently dead last in the entire NFL in turnover differential at -10. Next to the bottom is a tie at -8 between the Dolphins and Broncos.

Best in the league:

Lions +13
49ers +10
Bills +9
Packers +8

Wonder if any team has ever fared this well at the midway point of the season being dead last in this category.

Fire Arians
11-01-2011, 01:28 PM
beats me, but being #1 in overall defense and #4 in points allowed usually means you're winning more games than losing.

though it is somewhat of an anomaly to see dead last in turnover differential and being tied for best record in the conference

GMU Steeler
11-01-2011, 02:07 PM
We need to improve in turnovers but the week 1 Ravens game is really distorting that. Not saying that we didn't put up a horrible performance in Week 1 but that game is what makes us look like we've been bad on turnovers when overall we've been more average than not. We do need more turnovers. Would be great to get seven on the Ravens and pay back the favor.

NEWstevo
11-01-2011, 03:34 PM
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_4496_Steelers_team_report%3A_RPYPA_was_the_diff erence.html

"The biggest concern for Pittsburgh continues to be takeaways. Pittsburgh became just the seventh team since 1940 to force 2 or fewer takeaways through the first four games of a season. By focing only 1 turnover in the four games since, Pittsburgh is truly in rarified air. No other team has ever forced as few as 3 turnovers through the first 8 games. In fact, no other team has ever failed to produce at least 4 turnovers in any 8 game stretch of a single regular season. Luckily for Pittsburgh, they are winning games despite the lack of turnover, which is no mean feat. Pittsburgh is only the 30th team to win 3 games in a single season without forcing a turnover and just the 43rd team to win 6 games in a season while forcing one or fewer turnovers."

ricardisimo
11-01-2011, 03:48 PM
That last sentence is confusing. So no one has ever done X, and yet the Steelers are the 43rd team to do X and win six games... or something like that. Do we have any actuaries on these boards who can explain that?

Besides, we have 4 forced fumbles and two interceptions, which certainly sucks, but it doesn't apply to any of the above. :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
11-01-2011, 04:27 PM
That last sentence is confusing. So no one has ever done X, and yet the Steelers are the 43rd team to do X and win six games... or something like that. Do we have any actuaries on these boards who can explain that?

Besides, we have 4 forced fumbles and two interceptions, which certainly sucks, but it doesn't apply to any of the above. :noidea:
this explains it all......

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/208300/208300,1277887171,2/stock-photo-mathematical-equation-56251690.jpg

ricardisimo
11-01-2011, 05:02 PM

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/208300/208300,1277887171,2/stock-photo-mathematical-equation-56251690.jpg
Ah! I was thinking more like this one:
http://artslab09.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/chalk-drawing-ideas.jpg?w=467&h=306

MDSteel15
11-01-2011, 05:03 PM

How do you like dem apples? :chuckle:

Fire Arians
11-01-2011, 05:21 PM
hey i don't care if we get 0 takeaways for the rest of the season, as long as we win another super bowl I'll be happy

wyn50
11-01-2011, 05:50 PM
ditto to that! stats donʻt matter, just the Wʻs!

Steelersfan87
11-01-2011, 06:13 PM
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_4496_Steelers_team_report%3A_RPYPA_was_the_diff erence.html

"The biggest concern for Pittsburgh continues to be takeaways. Pittsburgh became just the seventh team since 1940 to force 2 or fewer takeaways through the first four games of a season. By focing only 1 turnover in the four games since, Pittsburgh is truly in rarified air. No other team has ever forced as few as 3 turnovers through the first 8 games. In fact, no other team has ever failed to produce at least 4 turnovers in any 8 game stretch of a single regular season. Luckily for Pittsburgh, they are winning games despite the lack of turnover, which is no mean feat. Pittsburgh is only the 30th team to win 3 games in a single season without forcing a turnover and just the 43rd team to win 6 games in a season while forcing one or fewer turnovers."

They're totally separate claims. The first claim is that no other team in NFL history has forced only 3 turnovers or less in an 8 game span of a single regular season.

The second claim is that the Steelers have won 3 games in a single season in which that did not force a single turnover in those games, and are the 30th team to do so. They beat the Seahawks, the Jaguars, and the Patriots without forcing any turnovers.

The third claim is that the Steelers have won 6 games in a single season in which they forced one or fewer turnovers in those games, and are the 43rd team to do so. This would apply to all of their victories, since they have yet to forced multiple turnovers in a game.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Really the turnover stuff doesn't have much clout since they were -7 in the first game. The defense hasn't done anything (only 3 TOs this year) but has still shut down the other teams in all major categories. When your offense and defense are both this good at scoring and not letting the other team score respectively, turnovers don't really matter. You can get as many turnovers as you want, it's capitalizing off them that really matters.

This is sort of like Shaun Suisham. Yes statistically he's one of the worst kickers in the league this year, but I think he's been playing just fine. None of his misses have been unbelievably horrible or in really bad situations. This is how stats lie.

OX1947
11-01-2011, 06:51 PM
This Steelers team is a microcosm of Ike Taylor's career. How can a team this good be so futile in the turnover department. All in all though, Troy has dropped 4 INTs by himself this year. One that would have gone to the house. Which would have changed things somewhat.

RatbirdExtreme
11-01-2011, 10:49 PM
hey i don't care if we get 0 takeaways for the rest of the season, as long as we win another super bowl I'll be happy

Not gonna happen. Even if you do make it there, and I sure hope you don't, I'm not seeing anyone beating GB this year, including my beloved Ravens

Third Rail
11-01-2011, 10:53 PM
I'll tell ya, I think every good team in the NFL is "dead last" at something. What does it all mean? Pretty much nothing. I mean, I knew all of this kind of stuff was total BS last year when the Chargers were #1 in run and pass defense for a period of time and yet they couldn't win a game to save their lives.

GMU Steeler
11-01-2011, 11:21 PM
I'll tell ya, I think every good team in the NFL is "dead last" at something. What does it all mean? Pretty much nothing. I mean, I knew all of this kind of stuff was total BS last year when the Chargers were #1 in run and pass defense for a period of time and yet they couldn't win a game to save their lives.

Didn't the Chargers have a historically bad Special Teams last year that cost them quite a few games?

Third Rail
11-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Didn't the Chargers have a historically bad Special Teams last year that cost them quite a few games?

They did have bad special teams. But I still don't think you can blow that many games if special teams is your only week spot.

Opt2loc
11-02-2011, 10:38 AM
The bottom line is that you guys are 6-2 and in first place midway through the season. A lot of teams would trade records with you regardless. Can't wait till Sunday.

I hope my Ravens hire a Witch Doctor to remove the night game at Ketchup Field curse. It's gonna be exciting.