PDA

View Full Version : Arians - does he get any credit?

ETL
11-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Saw a lot of kudos going to Ben, the WRs, Heath, Woodley, Keisel, Ike, Troy and of course Gay. But no pat on the back has gone to Bruce Arians.

I don't understand how a guy can get all the blame when things go wrong but get zero credit when things work well.

Guys, like him or not, he called one hell of a game on Sunday. And he deserves a lot of credit for exploiting the middle of the field early and then using the WRs in short screens and deep ins and outs later. He also used the pass to control the clock.

I know people were calling for his head in the Jacksonville win but they have proven to be a much better defense (as the Ravens found out) than we were giving them credit for.

I confess, I have criticized Arians in the past as well - specifically when I see us trying to do 7 step drop passes with a porous OL and seeing Ben get sacked, but for at least this week - ARIANS WAS A STAR!

Good job Bruce and keep it up.

:tt02:

desertsteel
11-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Yep... kudos to BA

ZoneBlitzer
11-02-2011, 01:11 AM
He gets some. But overall, I thought the offense left a lot a points on the field. Considering the amount of possession and field position, 2 touchdowns was a lucky amount to beat the Pats with. Keep in mind they scored 0 touchdowns in the second half as well. I feel that this offense can be great. They just need to continue to grow and push themselves and Ben needs to get better as well. He was good yesterday, but he could've been better and he knows that. The sacks taken at the end of the game were also brutal.

tony hipchest
11-02-2011, 01:27 AM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=78879

as one to always give him fair critisizm, i think i was probably the first to give him is props, and likely the only one who suggested he deserved a gameball as opposed to the players who easilly executed a rather simple and mundane gameplan.

SteelCityMom
11-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Yup, Arians got some love too...even right after the game. :chuckle:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=78844

Most of the credit that I give Arians though for that game was for letting Ben run the no huddle more, and not so much for calling plays lol.

MACH1
11-02-2011, 02:17 AM
Hey, I gave him a game ball.

Although one great game does not make a great career.

ricardisimo
11-02-2011, 02:53 AM
Kudos to him. I'm not even going to qualify it (as tempted as I might be). Just kudos. Well done!
:applaudit::hatsoff::thumbsup:

theplatypus
11-02-2011, 06:05 AM

as one to always give him fair critisizm, i think i was probably the first to give him is props, and likely the only one who suggested he deserved a gameball as opposed to the players who easilly executed a rather simple and mundane gameplan.

Check post #2

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=78844

SteeleReign
11-02-2011, 08:55 AM
I agree with Mom - BA's kudos are more deserved for swallowing his pride & getting out of the way. Allowing Ben to run the no-huddle made a huge difference in the flow of the offense. But, I will give him his due props just the same.

theplatypus
11-02-2011, 09:19 AM
I agree with Mom - BA's kudos are more deserved for swallowing his pride & getting out of the way. Allowing Ben to run the no-huddle made a huge difference in the flow of the offense. But, I will give him his due props just the same.

I can go back and double check, but I'm pretty sure we ran the no huddle for one series in the 3rd quarter.

Third Rail
11-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I have to give him some credit for the win too. Really, he called a great game... the only time the offense had any real issues was in the red zone. And even then, they still came away with two TDs.

steelax04
11-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Someone even dared to call him "brilliant"

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=79017

So yes, it does look like some people do give him credit.

Steelersfan87
11-02-2011, 11:56 AM
I can go back and double check, but I'm pretty sure we ran the no huddle for one series in the 3rd quarter.

Yeah, I don't recall much no huddle at all.

queeg
11-02-2011, 11:58 AM
He gets some. But overall, I thought the offense left a lot a points on the field. Considering the amount of possession and field position, 2 touchdowns was a lucky amount to beat the Pats with. Keep in mind they scored 0 touchdowns in the second half as well. I feel that this offense can be great. They just need to continue to grow and push themselves and Ben needs to get better as well. He was good yesterday, but he could've been better and he knows that. The sacks taken at the end of the game were also brutal.

This game plan was the best since a hobbled aged Jerome Bettis ran with abandon....Steelers at Bears in a snow storm!!!!

queeg
11-02-2011, 12:05 PM

We have a rocket science pundit! Give coaching credit...
they are using players/plays/defensive calls far above even the downers in this forum would ever admit...I sometimes feel your cold grey winter days depress these posters even on Christmas morning.

SteelCityMom
11-02-2011, 12:09 PM

I thought he was running it a bunch in the 1st/2nd quarter as well...but thinking that could just be a horrible side effect of drinking too early. :chuckle:

FanSince72
11-02-2011, 01:16 PM
You're right - credit where credit is due.

Whether it's because he's listening to people or he came up with it on his own, whatever Arians is doing right now is working and as long as that continues to be the case, I'll give him all the credit in the world.

It's nice to know that SOMEONE sees a need for change and that they're taking steps to make that happen.

tony hipchest
11-02-2011, 03:51 PM
We have a rocket science pundit! Give coaching credit...
they are using players/plays/defensive calls far above even the downers in this forum would ever admit...I sometimes feel your cold grey winter days depress these posters even on Christmas morning.what the hell are you talking about? my entire post WAS about giving arians credit... ALL the credit. dont know how you missed that. :hunch:

:wave:

Fire Arians
11-02-2011, 03:57 PM
honestly he's been doing a good job this year so far. even i can't deny that

Steelerfreak58
11-02-2011, 08:53 PM
He would get more credit if he didn't stick his head back up his ass and acted like he never called a solid game before. He will go back to calling that damned WR bubble screen and long bombs and get BB murdered.

We have seen two solid games called OFFENSIVELY for the full 60 minutes the one against the Titans and the Patriots. Short quick 3 step passing getting the ball out of BB hands, some use of the no huddle, and PLAY ACTION with HEATH MILLER INVOLVED. Those are the two games that the offense looked like a Super Bowl contender and championship team.

For some damn reason BA seems to forget what works well for this offense. I hope and pray he uses a similar blue print against the Ratbirds because that D brings it and BB wont have the time to hold on to the ball. He has all of the weapons necessary to have one of the best damn offenses in the league if he works with what he has and utilizes the men he has. That o-line is not built to give him 5 seconds in the back field going over all of his reads or looking to go deep on a regular basis.

Steelersfan87
11-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Yawn.

Wallace108
11-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Let's keep things in perspective.

The offense looked good in the first half, but managed only two field goals in the second half against one of the worst defenses in the league. And on the final drive, we had the ball 2nd and 11 on the Patriots' 28 yard line. They went with two consecutive plays having Ben drop back, which resulted in two sacks. Then they had to punt, giving Brady a chance to win the game. All they had to do was run the ball a few plays, gain a few yards, and kick a field goal and go up by 9 and put the game away. Instead, They got greedy, and we had to rely on the defense to save the game. The problem with Arians is that he doesn't know how to play with a lead.

Arians was the man in the first half. But in the second half and when they had a chance to put the game away on the final drive, it was the same ol' Arians.

With that said, we beat the Patriots. And that's what really matters.

GMU Steeler
11-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Let's keep things in perspective.

The offense looked good in the first half, but managed only two field goals in the second half against one of the worst defenses in the league. And on the final drive, we had the ball 2nd and 11 on the Patriots' 28 yard line. They went with two consecutive plays having Ben drop back, which resulted in two sacks. Then they had to punt, giving Brady a chance to win the game. All they had to do was run the ball a few plays, gain a few yards, and kick a field goal and go up by 9 and put the game away. Instead, They got greedy, and we had to rely on the defense to save the game. The problem with Arians is that he doesn't know how to play with a lead.

Arians was the man in the first half. But in the second half and when they had a chance to put the game away on the final drive, it was the same ol' Arians.

With that said, we beat the Patriots. And that's what really matters.
I agree the second half O wasn't great but I think they wanted to punt deliberately there. Suisham had missed a FG from the range that kick would have been from and I think they wanted to pin the Pats late. Not saying I agree with the strategy but I think that's what the method to the madness was there.

tony hipchest
11-03-2011, 12:50 AM
And on the final drive, we had the ball 2nd and 11 on the Patriots' 28 yard line. They went with two consecutive plays having Ben drop back, which resulted in two sacks. Then they had to punt, giving Brady a chance to win the game.

im with GMU. i actually liked the play calling from this point and think the 2 sacks were instructed from tomlin if there wasnt anything wide open on the passing patterns.

the pats werent gonna give up any running yards to redman. 2nd and 11 woulda turned to 3rd and 13 and 4th and 14, resulting in a 45-47 yd fg attempt. ben dropping back used up more time than redman running into the pile.

can you imagine if we attempt a fg and miss and give the ball back on the 35-40 with 60 or so seconds left? much worse than depulveda punting out of bounds (or better yet, pinning them deeper) and giving them the ball back at the 20 with 50 seconds.

there was no way brady was gonna drive 80 yds in 50 seconds. not on sunday. tomlin knew and showed faith that his defense would do exactly what it did, which ended up being keisel and polamalu scoring 2 points (one shy of a 40 yd FG).

he minimized time they would have left, while maximizing the distance of the field, all while taking the least risky chance of a TO or return.

people often critisize tomlins situational football. in this instance, i think it should be applauded. this strategy was all on him. :applaudit:

BlockMonsta
11-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Besides wanting to see a few more carries for the backs BA did well IMO.

Wallace108
11-03-2011, 09:02 PM
I agree the second half O wasn't great but I think they wanted to punt deliberately there.

im with GMU. i actually liked the play calling from this point and think the 2 sacks were instructed from tomlin if there wasnt anything wide open on the passing patterns.

I get what you guys are saying, and I've seen a few other people make the same argument ... but I'm not buying it. Until I hear Ben or Tomlin say it themselves, I won't believe that they purposely wanted Ben to take sacks to put them in a better position to punt. Forget the fact that Ben has a tendency to fumble when sacked ... there have been several hits already that could have ended his season. I don't think that they'd put Ben in that position.

Now, if Ben had dropped back and nothing was open, so he just fell to the ground and gave himself up, then I'd agree with what you guys are saying.

ricardisimo
11-04-2011, 03:40 AM
OK, now I'm going to qualify my praise for Arians (I held out as long as I could). The two late sacks at the very end, when all we had to do was stay where we were - not even gain a single yard - and kick the FG, make it a two score game... that was mind boggling. Tomlin talks all the time about "situational football", but that was proof that it's just lip service. Arians couldn't spot situational football if it mugged him in broad daylight.