PDA

View Full Version : Ravens know Steelers have rebounded surprisingly well since beat down

mesaSteeler
11-02-2011, 06:57 AM
Ravens know Steelers have rebounded surprisingly well since beat down
Wednesday, November 02, 2011
Jeff Zrebiec, Baltimore Sun

John Harbaugh - "It's Ravens-Steelers. We know how to play that game, they know how to play that game."

As he listened to quarterback Joe Flacco speak to reporters and waited his turn at the podium after his team's 30-27 comeback victory Sunday against Arizona, Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh stole a couple of quick glances at a corner television, which was tuned in to the Steelers-New England game.

For the rest of this week, there will no ambiguity to where the focus lies.

While always entertaining linebacker Terrell Suggs may have been overstating things slightly when he guaranteed that the "whole NFL shuts down just for that game," there is no question that the Ravens-Steelers prime-time showdown Sunday night at Heinz Field not only will add another chapter to arguably the league's most intense rivalry, but it could go a long way in determining the winner of the AFC North.

"It's a big game," said Harbaugh. "It's a game that we love to play in. It's Ravens-Steelers. We know how to play that game, they know how to play that game. We're looking forward to it. I do know that."

The Steelers, who haven't had their open week, lead the division with a 6-2 record; both the Ravens and the surprising Cincinnati Bengals stand at 5-2. Two weeks after they finish the regular-season series against the Steelers, the Ravens will play host to the Bengals.

The Steelers, meanwhile, will be in Cincinnati next weekend, then home against the Bengals Dec. 4. So, over the next five weeks, there is a good chance that the division hierarchy will become clear.

"As you go down your schedule and the games build up, they all become important, but this certainly is a huge game coming up this week," said linebacker Jarret Johnson.

The Ravens started the season with a 35-7 drubbing of the Steelers, forcing a team record seven turnovers, including five by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. A season-sweep of their rivals could be huge later this season with the division championship and a first-round bye in the playoffs potentially on the line.

Such a result, however, would be rare. Not only have they won just one of their past six games at Heinz Field, the Ravens haven't taken both regular-season games from the Steelers since 2006, which was also the year the team last won the AFC North.

The Ravens tried to say the right things after their 28-point beat down of the Steelers Sept. 11 -- their largest margin of victory in the 34-game series -- because they knew that Pittsburgh would bounce back and they would have to go through them again this season, this time at Heinz Field.

It, would have been hard, however, to envision the Steelers responding so well to the season-opening loss. They have won four consecutive games, beating the two teams that defeated the Ravens (the Tennessee Titans and Jacksonville Jaguars), the same Cardinals team that had the Ravens in a 24-3 hole deep into the second quarter Sunday, and the Patriots.

The 25-17 victory against New England might have been the Steelers' most impressive performance yet as Dick LeBeau's defense, labeled too old and slow after Week One, held Tom Brady and the Patriots to 213 total yards, and Roethlisberger threw for 365 yards and two touchdown passes.

In six games since throwing one touchdown pass and three interceptions against Baltimore, Roethlisberger has thrown for 13 touchdown passes and four interceptions.

"They're the same team," said Harbaugh. "They've got injuries, they got adversity that they've been battling. I think they're the same Steelers that they've always been. They're a tough, hard-nosed team. They've got a great quarterback and a great defense and they're as physical as can be. It's a team we respect."

The Steelers questioned whether that was the case after what they believed was an attempt by the Ravens to embarrass them in the first meeting between the two teams. The Ravens went for a two-point conversion to make it 29-7 early in the third quarter, and Flacco threw the ball to the end zone with a 32-7 lead late in the fourth quarter. The Steelers defensive line also accused the Ravens of throwing chop blocks.

Safety Ryan Clark has been one of the more outspoken Steelers, making reference to Harbaugh raising his arms exhorting the crowd and several Ravens dancing on the sideline in the later stages of that game.

"We'll remember everything," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said after the game.

Ward, one of the main figures in the rivalry, sat out the game against New England with an ankle injury but is expected return to practice today.

"A lot of guys won't get to play because they are hurt, but, sure enough, 'Sizzle' will be there," said Suggs who has 131/2 regular-season sacks against the Steelers, the most any active NFL player has compiled against them. "I get to go into Heinz Field and be the bad guy. It's going to be fun, but you know, they are going to go after me. We're going to have fun, though."

"I get to go into Heinz Field and be the bad guy. It's going to be fun ... "

-- Terrell Suggs

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11306/1186779-66-0.stm#ixzz1cY3y71Fg

OX1947
11-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Soooo, after the Steelers beat the Ratbirds again this week, is John gonna blame it on how he let it go again?

bobby jr
11-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Sorry guys but the Steelers are going to be blown out again by the Ravens.

I've seen a lot of NFL games in my lifetime and I've learned that when a team is "owned" the way the Steelers were on 09/11/11 in Baltimore, it is quite unlikely they will come back and beat the team that destroyed them, in a rematch.

As an example look at 2006. The Ravens humiliated the Steelers 27-0 in the first game in Baltimore. Then in the rematch later that season the Ravens won by an even wider margin, 37-7 in Pittsburgh.

Like it or not, seeing the Steelers secondary being lit up by Flacco, and having Ben spend most of the game picking himself up off the turf is probably going to to happen again. Because the matchups favored the Ravens in the first game in 2011 and they will in the 2nd game too.

The Steelers best hope this season, and it's a faint one, is that they back into the playoffs by beating weaker teams that the Ravens looked past, and lost to. Because the Ravens have the Steelers number this year in the head to head matchup. And the Steelers will be 0-2 VS their rivals this year.

Harbaugh is just playing psychological games on the Steelers, and avoiding giving them bulletin board material.
He doesn't want to get the Steelers psyched up thus he encourages his players talk about how the Stgeelers have rebounded

But the end result will be the same. The Steelers will likely suffer another embarrassing loss. This time at home.

Sixburgher
11-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Like it or not, seeing the Steelers secondary being lit up by Flacco, and having Ben spend most of the game picking himself up off the turf is probably going to to happen again.

Based on what? The mighty Flacco shitting the bed on the road against the Jaguars, or almost blowing it at home against the Cardinals? Dude's played like warmed over shit ever since their "Super Bowl" in week one. If you'd taken the time to look up from sucking him off constantly in the last 2 months you'd know that.

Go away, assclown.

Fire Arians
11-02-2011, 12:56 PM

I've seen a lot of NFL games in my lifetime and I've learned that when a team is "owned" the way the Steelers were on 09/11/11 in Baltimore, it is quite unlikely they will come back and beat the team that destroyed them, in a rematch.

yeah you've seen a lot of nfl games in your lifetime, but you must have missed the jets beating the patriots in the playoffs last year, after getting beat by a bigger margin than the ravens beat us by. you're a ****ing idiot

stlrtruck
11-02-2011, 01:05 PM

As an example look at 2006. The Ravens humiliated the Steelers 27-0 in the first game in Baltimore. Then in the rematch later that season the Ravens won by an even wider margin, 37-7 in Pittsburgh.

Like it or not, seeing the Steelers secondary being lit up by Flacco, and having Ben spend most of the game picking himself up off the turf is probably going to to happen again. Because the matchups favored the Ravens in the first game in 2011 and they will in the 2nd game too.

The Steelers best hope this season, and it's a faint one, is that they back into the playoffs by beating weaker teams that the Ravens looked past, and lost to. Because the Ravens have the Steelers number this year in the head to head matchup. And the Steelers will be 0-2 VS their rivals this year.

Harbaugh is just playing psychological games on the Steelers, and avoiding giving them bulletin board material.
He doesn't want to get the Steelers psyched up thus he encourages his players talk about how the Stgeelers have rebounded

But the end result will be the same. The Steelers will likely suffer another embarrassing loss. This time at home.

Like the stock market, past performances are not indicative of future gains!

I love how you conveniently want to wash over the fact that the ratbirds hate playing in Pittsburgh on the prime time stage. Oh that's right, how quickly ratbird fans forget the infamous request from the ratbirds FO to not play a night game in Pittsburgh a few years ago. :toofunny:

SteelCityMom
11-02-2011, 01:10 PM

I guess you need to watch some more NFL then huh? I can think of two examples, off the top of my head, and they both involve the Steelers. Halloween '04 when the Steelers creamed the Patriots only to have the Patriots destroy the Steelers in the playoffs. Then in '05 the Steelers got absolutely embarrassed by the Colts, and came back to dominate them in the playoffs that year. There's plenty more too...but someone who's seen a lot of NFL games in their lifetime would already know that.

Hate to break this to you (YET AGAIN), but this isn't 2006 anymore. You may need to see someone over this 2006 obsession you have, you still constantly bring it up like it means something today.

Maybe I should quote the post of you stating that past games do not guarantee future results?? Whatever did happen to that little notion of yours anyhow? :noidea:

You really haven't even paid attention to your own team this year have you? Beating weaker teams that the Ravens looked past? :toofunny:

Yeah, I'm sure that was your first thought after the losses to the Titans, Jags, and the near loss to the Cardinals. They were just busy "looking past" them huh? You crack me up sometimes...that's the only reason I've ever let you stay on this forum...purely for comedic relief. :sofunny:

Ohhhh...not that twicky twickster again!!

:blah::blah::blah:

Like a freaking broken record you are lol.

Win or lose though, your time here is shortening. You've had more than enough time to learn how to actually talk about football instead of constantly shoving your foot in your mouth. It was funny for a while (typically when I'm really bored)...but your schtick is just getting lame and tired.

Opt2loc
11-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Based on what? The mighty Flacco shitting the bed on the road against the Jaguars, or almost blowing it at home against the Cardinals? Dude's played like warmed over shit ever since their "Super Bowl" in week one. If you'd taken the time to look up from sucking him off constantly in the last 2 months you'd know that.

Go away, assclown.

That's not totally accurate. Though he hasn't been playing like Wheaties will be asking him to do a photo shoot anytime soon, he really only had one really bad game (Jets) and one bad game (Titans). The Rams are the Rams but he did light it up against them pretty good like he should have. Jags game he got no YAC help. With that said the Ravens are 5-2 and overall IMO Flacco has been okay. I'll take that any day with a swiss cheese line and a rookie starting wide out.

You can call them excuses, I don't care. To say that he has been playing like crap since we destroyed you in week 1 is simply not accurate.:flap:

DanRooney
11-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Timmons spent practice time at LOLB with Carter on the opposite side but then Tomlin moved Timmons back to ROLB. He mentioned Carter was going to be uncomfortable at both positions, so you might as well play Timmons at a position he knows. I guess this means Worilds isn't playing. It'll be interesting to see if we can get any kind of pressure on Flacco. We sure as hell didn't get any in week 1.

Opt2loc
11-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Timmons spent practice time at LOLB with Carter on the opposite side but then Tomlin moved Timmons back to ROLB. He mentioned Carter was going to be uncomfortable at both positions, so you might as well play Timmons at a position he knows. I guess this means Worilds isn't playing. It'll be interesting to see if we can get any kind of pressure on Flacco. We sure as hell didn't get any in week 1.

If the line preforms like it has lately you will get to Joe. I'm wondering if the Ravens will change up the offense a little considering how important the game is and that it's not smart thinking to count on another week 1.

If they should just expect a rush penatrating on pass plays early till they see what happens and call some plays to offset the INT, sack or fumble that happens when Joe gets happy feet when the pressure comes.

Most likely Cam will do what Cam always does and we will pray..

stlrtruck
11-02-2011, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers do some more of the man press like they did against the patriots*. If Flacco can't get a good read, and the pressure gets to him, he'll make the errant throws and hopefully create turnovers, similar to how the ratbirds did in week 1 to us.

I gotta believe that LeBeau will come in with a mixing bowl of options and challenge Cameron and Flacco.

I'm also thinking, that while the ratbirds will get their defense going, there won't be as many terrible plays for Ben and company, as there was in the first meeting

Opt2loc
11-02-2011, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers do some more of the man press like they did against the patriots*. If Flacco can't get a good read, and the pressure gets to him, he'll make the errant throws and hopefully create turnovers, similar to how the ratbirds did in week 1 to us.

I gotta believe that LeBeau will come in with a mixing bowl of options and challenge Cameron and Flacco.

I'm also thinking, that while the ratbirds will get their defense going, there won't be as many terrible plays for Ben and company, as there was in the first meeting

You can't get much worse than week #1.

The Ravens have been hearing all week crap about they can't beat the Squeelers in Pitt at night. They won't sweep. Flacco is not living up. They need to make a statement this week that will not only be a huge step in securing the division but dominating the Squeelers for at least this year and playing a big part in you watching us in Indy:thumbsup:

stlrtruck
11-02-2011, 02:38 PM

The Ravens have been hearing all week crap about they can't beat the Squeelers in Pitt at night. They won't sweep. Flacco is not living up. They need to make a statement this week that will not only be a huge step in securing the division but dominating the Squeelers for at least this year and playing a big part in you watching us in Indy:thumbsup:

Now you're just trying to be funny!!! :toofunny:

The ravens players are hearing about playing in prime time and the Steelers are hearing about the pummeling they took in week 1. Which one do you think provides more motivation (not that the two teams need it)?

I'm going with the week 1 beat down!

FanSince72
11-02-2011, 02:48 PM

OK, I think it's time to take a hard look at the medication your taking because I sense that whatever side-effects it may have are now kicking in.

For God's sake, do it before an intervention is the only alternative left.

We all love you man and we hate to see you like this.

Opt2loc
11-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Now you're just trying to be funny!!! :toofunny:

The ravens players are hearing about playing in prime time and the Steelers are hearing about the pummeling they took in week 1. Which one do you think provides more motivation (not that the two teams need it)?

I'm going with the week 1 beat down!

You guys have already proven you can dominate us and win a SB despite us. That's the past. I believe with RL and ER calling it quits very soon that this team is running out of time to dominate you guys with the current cast of main charactors. It's our turn.

That's not funny, It's a belief and damn good motivation.:wantsome:

SoCalFan
11-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I see the Steelers having 3 turnovers in this game! More important,we will have the ball for 40-45 minutes,completely controlling the clock! I agree with stlrtruck in that I believe the coaching staff was so pleased with the game plan against the patsys,they found something new! We have talented recievers that are not only good for the deep ball,Ben gets rid of the ball quick,which will open up the running game= many first downs and points! Play more tight coverage on D,forcing timing issues and bring more pressure because the QB will be forced to hold onto the ball longer!!! We got this one!!! Bobby,if you and your posse of lame as trolls think this game will be anything like game one,YOU ARE ON CRACK!!!:tt03:

Fire Arians
11-02-2011, 02:58 PM
ike taylor is gonna shut boldin down, if baltimore gets behind like they did vs arizona they're screwed

keenan lewis should be able to handle lee evans

stlrtruck
11-02-2011, 03:17 PM
You guys have already proven you can dominate us and win a SB despite us. That's the past. I believe with RL and ER calling it quits very soon that this team is running out of time to dominate you guys with the current cast of main charactors. It's our turn.

That's not funny, It's a belief and damn good motivation.:wantsome:

Sorry, although my parents raised me right and taught me to share, there's some things I don't like sharing. And sharing Lombardi trophies with any team is one of those things!

But you're right, the time is running thin for your defense, let alone the time and patience that fans and ownership will have with Flacco behind center if he keeps losing to the Steelers when it matters most - in the playoffs!

You guys can have a turn on the second Sunday of the 5th week of January!

:m16: :sign02: :whatnow:

Steelersfan87
11-02-2011, 03:57 PM
ike taylor is gonna shut boldin down, if baltimore gets behind like they did vs arizona they're screwed

keenan lewis should be able to handle lee evans

That's if he plays. If not, he should handle Torrey Smith.

Atlanta Dan
11-02-2011, 05:26 PM

Thank God - I was afraid you might not show up this week - last predictuon I heard from you was pre-Jax when you were saying the Steelers would be 2 & 1/2 games behind the Ravens after Sunday night - what happened?:noidea:

Get braced for a serious beatdown

DJnKm6ftPu0

Sixburgher
11-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Get braced for a serious beatdown

Then we'll get to hear the asswipe's usual litany of excuses instead of gloating (the poor Ravens were so tired from the marathon 200 mile road trip from Baltimore to Pittsburgh), which is actually even more annoying. Wish the admins would ban the shitbird already.

tony hipchest
11-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Then we'll get to hear the asswipe's usual litany of excuses instead of gloating (the poor Ravens were so tired from the marathon 200 mile road trip from Baltimore to Pittsburgh), which is actually even more annoying. Wish the admins would ban the shitbird already.me too. i drafted him in our fantasy troll league.

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

:chuckle:

OldSchoolfootballfan
11-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Man I really hope that neither team is overlooking the other as much as the fans are. It will be a shit ugly game and if possible then both teams would lose.

The steelers need to worry about injury and the fact that ben grubbs might be coming back for them to solidify the o line.

the ravens need to be worried because their offense has been shitting the bed left and right.

I am looking forward to the norm which is a hard hitting, now whining and crying, all out war, not the kind of game that arrogant fans from both sides like to think it will be.

Atlanta Dan
11-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Like it or not, seeing the Steelers secondary being lit up by Flacco, and having Ben spend most of the game picking himself up off the turf is probably going to to happen again.

These mid-season QB rankings on SI.com indicate that may not happen

Midseason quarterback rankings

2. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers: If there's a quarterback big enough to put an offense on his back, the 6-foot-5, 241-pound Roethlisberger is him. The two-time Super Bowl champion has been lethal his last four games, throwing for 1,154 yards, 11 touchdowns and two picks, with a 67.1 completion percentage and a 110.4 passer rating. More impressive, he's playing with poise and discipline, things he struggled with at times in the past. Not surprisingly, the Steelers have won four in a row after a 2-2 start....

22. Joe Flacco, Ravens: Baltimore thought he would take his game to the next level in his fourth season, but over his last four outings he has thrown for only one TD, with four interceptions, and is on pace to finish with the worst completion percentage and most interceptions of his career.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jim_trotter/11/01/qb.rankings/index.html?sct=nfl_t11_a1

But at least Flacco outranks Colt McCoy (#23):thumbsup:

stb_steeler
11-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Then we'll get to hear the asswipe's usual litany of excuses instead of gloating (the poor Ravens were so tired from the marathon 200 mile road trip from Baltimore to Pittsburgh), which is actually even more annoying. Wish the admins would ban the shitbird already.

Dont worry Sixburgher......he always comes back with another excuse, We think he wears blinders.........I think they let him around just for shits n giggles......

Steelersfan87
11-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Dude's not even worth responding to. All you have to do is look at last year when the Jets embarrassed the Patriots in the playoffs after said Patriots smoked them something serious in the regular season. I really don't think the Ravens have much of a chance. Their best hope is if James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, James Farrior, AND Jason Worilds don't play. However, it seems that Worilds went through a full practice today, and both Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette have basically said that, as of right now, gun to their head, they would bet on Harrison playing.

jjpro11
11-02-2011, 07:03 PM
lol why do you guys even acknowledge this jackass troll? he makes the exact same prediction every single time the two teams play each other.. "The Ravens defense will be too much for Roethlisberger to handle" "The Steelers won't be able to stop the Ravens incredible receivers" "Ray Rice will have 200 yards" "The Ravens are now the dominant team in the AFC North"

it's the same stupid shit every time.. he is right one time out of how many, and now he considers himself some kind of expert. he's the biggest loser troll i've ever come across.

steelers33
11-02-2011, 07:16 PM
But the end result will be the same.

The end result will be the same.. we beat you win it matters most and you watch us march in the postseason.

Buddha Bus
11-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Sorry guys but the Steelers are going to be blown again by the Ravens.

Fixed it for you! :thumbsup:

It seems to me the only "owning" going on is your purple candy ass on this board. A couple of members have already pointed out how utterly stupid your comment concerning beatdowns and rematches was. Try to fight your way out of that wet paper bag of a retarded theory, you mental weakling. :rofl:

You might actually have an inkling of a point here, Booby. For example, your f*cktard troll ass has been humiliated here on numerous occasions and yet you keep coming back for more verbal pistol-whippings of an even greater degree than the last. The only difference is that NFL teams have no choice but to play the schedule regardless of how badly they get beaten. What's your excuse? Are you a sadomasochist?

:coffee: Although the Ben being on the turf thing is bound to happen a few times, the "Flacco lighting up the Steelers secondary" comment is horseshit. You do know he benefitted greatly from all of those turnovers, right? It doesn't help the defense rest any and he got short fields to work with. It will be different this time I assure you.

This may be a true milestone in your storied saga of bumblef*ckedness. This is stupid beyond comprehension. What makes you think the Steelers have no hope this season? They have been improving every game since the Baltimore debacle unlike your sorry ass excuse for a professional football team. They have been struggling against NFL bottom feeders the last 2 games. YOUR TEAM'S best hope may be to back into the playoffs where they will promptly be be beaten like the red-headed step-children they are by their step-daddy..... THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS!

:rofl: Harbaugh playing psychological games with the Steelers would be tantamount to the Washington Generals playing showtime basketball with the Harlem Globetrotters. It ain't gonna work. The Steelers are so deep in the Ratbirds' heads (and so far up their asses) that it's become embarrassing. I am ashamed for Harbaugh every time he gives a post-game interview following a Ravens loss to the Steelers with his lame-ass excuse making and talk of "giving them the game" bullshit.

Not to mention the absolute obsession your team has with beating (or being) the Steelers. Ask Ed Reed about "psychologocal games" and Hines Ward one time. He'll curl up in a fetal position and wet himself on the spot.

The ravens players are hearing about playing in prime time and the Steelers are hearing about the pummeling they took in week 1.

Dammit, Truck! It's "pumpling", "PUMPLING"!!!!!!! There's no reason for me to make up fake definitions for non-words if you aren't going to use the damn things! :wink02::sofunny:

Twentyvalve
11-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Flacco beats the Steelers and Ben one time, one time! Now he is a Steeler killing God. And yes, Flacco has sucked lately. Regardless, he has been playing below his ability and can play much better.

The difference is, Flacco won't lead the Ravens to win. The rest of the team will lead him. Ben will lead our team, as a proper QB should. And as for you prediction, you are a fanatic fan who clearly does not study the game.

History dictates, more than likely, it will be a close game. History also dictates, that the Steelers will win. If you were betting, and knew nothing about either team, how would you calculate your bet? You would:

See the Steelers are leading the division
The Steelers have won most of the matchups
The Steelers QB had an incredible month
The Steelers D is tops in the leage

The Ravens, well, they won the last game by a lot of points.

Okay, go bet on the Ravens.

Even so, are the Ravens good enough to win? Yes, Are the Steelers good enough to win? Yes. Anybody with at most half-a-brain could see that. So, this Bud's For You Mr. Ravens Fan, who has no understanding on anything beyond a single game.

Even though your have no grasp of reality, and your mind is clouded with the inability to be objective, I wish you luck. Flacco is going to need it.

Oh yeah, your realize the Ravens lost to the Jaguars? The friggin' Jaguars? And the almost lost to the Cardinals? The firggin' Cardinals? Good God man, is that is our "only hope" I would hate to see a prediction for the Ravens only hope!My reply is based on fact, yours is based on pure fanaticism.

Oh yeah, don't bother responding to me, I won't reply, I don't want to argue with a member who obviously only wants to stir the pot and make baseless claims and predictions. I live in Baltimore, I know your type.

Fire Arians
11-02-2011, 07:32 PM
The end result will be the same.. we beat you win it matters most and you watch us march in the postseason.

zing!

Buddha Bus
11-02-2011, 07:37 PM
So, this Bud's For You Mr. Ravens Fan, who has no understanding on anything beyond a single game.

4x0MbVYVE2A

:sofunny:

Fire Arians
11-02-2011, 07:53 PM
4x0MbVYVE2A

:sofunny:

Bayz101
11-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Want to hear my prediction? I predict Bobby Jr. will completely vanish from this forum shortly after a certain event taking place at Heinz Field this Sunday. Call it a hunch. :noidea:

bobby jr
11-02-2011, 08:36 PM
These mid-season QB rankings on SI.com indicate that may not happen

Midseason quarterback rankings

2. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers: If there's a quarterback big enough to put an offense on his back, the 6-foot-5, 241-pound Roethlisberger is him. The two-time Super Bowl champion has been lethal his last four games, throwing for 1,154 yards, 11 touchdowns and two picks, with a 67.1 completion percentage and a 110.4 passer rating. More impressive, he's playing with poise and discipline, things he struggled with at times in the past. Not surprisingly, the Steelers have won four in a row after a 2-2 start....

22. Joe Flacco, Ravens: Baltimore thought he would take his game to the next level in his fourth season, but over his last four outings he has thrown for only one TD, with four interceptions, and is on pace to finish with the worst completion percentage and most interceptions of his career.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jim_trotter/11/01/qb.rankings/index.html?sct=nfl_t11_a1

But at least Flacco outranks Colt McCoy (#23):thumbsup:

Ben is currently ranked 8th in the league. Flacco is 27th.
In 2010 Joe was 7th in the league, Ben was 5th.

Objectively speaking how likely is it that Joe Flacco will continue to rank 20 QB's behind Ben in the ratings? Joe has already proven himself. He had some new receivers to work with this year and has had several near misses with Torrey Smith. He's working the kinks out. Sure he's had a couple of bad games but his history in the NFL shows he rebounds.

The cream rises to the top and it is unlikely that Flacco will continue to be one of the worst rated QB's in the league. How many QB's are rated in the top 10 in their mid 20's and then never are that good again?? Very unlikely that this low QB rating will last. He will improve and soon. I think it is likely he will have a good game in Pittsburgh.

Twentyvalve
11-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Flacco better hurry up with his rise to the top, we are halfway through the season, and at this rate, more than halfway through his career. Ranked 27th in the league? Wow. I did not think it was that bad.

Ben missed a few big throws too (apparently less about 70% less than Flacco). And guess, what so a lot of other quarterbacks in the league (26 of them to be exact). When is the last time Flacco made a highlight reel? Watch the Steelers highlights, and prepare to see Ben at work.

If the Ravens win, and I won't say they can't or won't, it won't be due to Flacco. Nothing like bragging about what a team will do, as opposed to what they have done. But I guess if they ain't done much, then what else is there?

Objectively speaking how likely is it that Joe Flacco will continue to rank 20 QB's behind Ben in the ratings? Joe has already proven himself. He had some new receivers to work with this year and has had several near misses with Torrey Smith. He's working the kinks out. Sure he's had a couple of bad games but his history in the NFL shows he rebounds.

The cream rises to the top and it is unlikely that Flacco will continue to be one of the worst rated QB's in the league. How many QB's are rated in the top 10 in their mid 20's and then never are that good again?? Very unlikely that this low QB rating will last. He will improve and soon. I think it is likely he will have a good game in Pittsburgh.

bobby jr
11-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Flacco better hurry up with his rise to the top, we are halfway through the season, and at this rate, more than halfway through his career. Ranked 27th in the league? Wow. I did not think it was that bad.

Ben missed a few big throws too (apparently less about 70% less than Flacco). And guess, what so a lot of other quarterbacks in the league (26 of them to be exact). When is the last time Flacco made a highlight reel? Watch the Steelers highlights, and prepare to see Ben at work.

If the Ravens win, and I won't say they can't or won't, it won't be due to Flacco. Nothing like bragging about what a team will do, as opposed to what they have done. But I guess if they ain't done much, then what else is there?

Well Flacco had an OK game on 09/11/11 vs the Steelers. 17 for 29, 224 yards, 3 TD's no interceptions. Another game with similar stats that will likely result in another Ravens win, with the Baltimore defense backing him up.

Fire Arians
11-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Well Flacco had an OK game on 09/11/11 vs the Steelers. 17 for 29, 224 yards, 3 TD's no interceptions. Another game with similar stats that will likely result in another Ravens win, with the Baltimore defense backing him up.

unfortunately for that game we had bryant burnt toast mcfadden covering boldin (which I thought was stupid as hell), now I'm sure you'll see a much different steeler secondary. Flacco will never throw for 3 TD's against the steelers again in the next 5 years, bank on it.

SoCalFan
11-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Not to mention it was the first game after minimal work!

stlrtruck
11-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Dammit, Truck! It's "pumpling", "PUMPLING"!!!!!!! There's no reason for me to make up fake definitions for non-words if you aren't going to use the damn things! :wink02::sofunny:

As defined by www.dictionary.com

pum·mel   /ˈpʌməl/ Show Spelled[puhm-uhl] Show IPAverb (used with object), -meled, -mel·ing or (especially British) -melled, -mel·ling.to beator thrash with or as if with the fists.

Buddha Bus
11-03-2011, 07:15 AM
As defined by www.dictionary.com

pum·mel   /ˈpʌməl/ Show Spelled[puhm-uhl] Show IPAverb (used with object), -meled, -mel·ing or (especially British) -melled, -mel·ling.to beator thrash with or as if with the fists.

pumpling:

verb

The act of severely beating another person or group so badly that it appears as though they have also been prison bitch butt-raped during the said act. (A combination of the words "pumping" and "pummeling".)

Used in a sentence:

" Even though he seemed to enjoy the assplay, Tom Brady took a helluva pumpling from the Pittsburgh Steelers the other day."

stlrtruck
11-03-2011, 07:18 AM

First, I've got to say, I wasn't sure what all the hoopla was about the latest ratbird :troll: trying to thump his chest. I haven't seen or read such moronic posts since Lumber was in here getting pummeled on a daily basis. Apparently Buddha is on to something about your sadomasochistic ways.

Second, if Flacco is the cream of the crop then why the hell hasn't he won a SB yet? If he's so great then why the hell does he constantly have to rely on his defense to win games. If he's so great then why don't they talk about him on the pre-game shows? This is, obviously, going to be a hard pill for you to swallow, but Joe Flacco is NOT the saviour of the ratbirds offense. It's pretty sad when your best offense is your defense!

stlrtruck
11-03-2011, 07:19 AM
pumpling:

verb

The act of severely beating another person or group so badly that it appears as though they have also been prison bitch butt-raped during the said act. (A combination of the words "pumping" and "pummeling".)

Used in a sentence:

" Even though he seemed to enjoy the assplay, Tom Brady took a helluva pumpling from the Pittsburgh Steelers the other day."

Ok, tomato - tomatoe.

I'll pummel him and then you can pumple them. :drink:

SteelCityMom
11-03-2011, 07:31 AM

Yes, he had a decent game that day (with a TON of help from the defense). Other than week 1 and the Rams game, what has he done this season?

And yes, it's a no brainer that if this next matchup has similar stats, the end result will be the same...but you see, both the Steelers offense and defense has actually progressed (not regressed) since week 1. That's something you seem to just want to ignore completely. You don't have the ability to look at things objectively at all...just through purple colored glasses.

vasteeler
11-03-2011, 10:45 AM
hey booby jr, i know of a cool steelers site you should check out.........................just kiddin guys

bobby jr
11-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Yes, he had a decent game that day (with a TON of help from the defense). Other than week 1 and the Rams game, what has he done this season?

And yes, it's a no brainer that if this next matchup has similar stats, the end result will be the same...but you see, both the Steelers offense and defense has actually progressed (not regressed) since week 1. That's something you seem to just want to ignore completely. You don't have the ability to look at things objectively at all...just through purple colored glasses.

The Steelers have done better than I expected since week 1. I thought they would have a winning record by the time they met the Ravens again, because of their relatively weak schedule. But I didn't expect the Steelers to beat the Patriots, given their past history.

However, the matchup problems that gave the Steelers such problems in week 1 will likely still exist in this game. Will the Steelers offensive line be able to stop Suggs, who always seems to play his best against the Steelers? How will the Steeler stop Ray Rice and his quickness, his low to the ground running style gave the Steelers trouble in the first game.

Flacco also was especially efficient against the Steelers throwing for 3 TD's in Baltimore. I think Joe is highly motivated to beat the Steelers this year, because of what happened the prior years. He had perhaps his best game against the Steelers on 09/11 he will be up for this game too.

I believe to some degree the entire Ravens season is linked with looking to beat the Steelers. Remember, the Ravens made several personnel changes in the off season after studying how these changes would help them specifically with Steeler matchups.

Also NFL football is an emotional game and no team plays at their highest level all season. The Ravens were highly motivated for week 1 against the Steelers and had their best game of the season. Then week 2, the Ravens suffered a letdown and lost to Tennessee, a team which they should have easily beaten.

Ravens picked themselves up and easily beat the Rams, Jets, Texans. Then with the Steeler rematch coming up they lose to Jacksonville and squeak by the Cardinals.

Ravens likely looking past both these games to the Steeler rematch that had something to do with their poor performances the last two weeks. I think they will be up for this game and will play like they did on 09/11/11.

SteelCityMom
11-03-2011, 12:26 PM
The Steelers have done better than I expected since week 1. I thought they would have a winning record by the time they met the Ravens again, because of their relatively weak schedule. But I didn't expect the Steelers to beat the Patriots, given their past history.

Just to make this clear, the Ravens have had a relatively weak schedule as well.

However, the matchup problems that gave the Steelers such problems in week 1 will likely still exist in this game. Will the Steelers offensive line be able to stop Suggs, who always seems to play his best against the Steelers? How will the Steeler stop Ray Rice and his quickness, his low to the ground running style gave the Steelers trouble in the first game.

Why would you assume that they "likely" still exist? Seems to me that they have done nothing but work on and improve upon those issues that they had in week 1...with stellar results. Will Suggs get through the OL? Of course, he almost always does. Will Rice get some decent rushes? Maybe, that's not a given though. And how will they stop him? Probably the same way they usually did before, by tackling him. :chuckle:

Flacco also was especially efficient against the Steelers throwing for 3 TD's in Baltimore. I think Joe is highly motivated to beat the Steelers this year, because of what happened the prior years. He had perhaps his best game against the Steelers on 09/11 he will be up for this game too.

Yes, Flacco threw for 3 TDs...but those TDs were dependent on TOs.

Also NFL football is an emotional game and no team plays at their highest level all season. The Ravens were highly motivated for week 1 against the Steelers and had their best game of the season. Then week 2, the Ravens suffered a letdown and lost to Tennessee, a team which they should have easily beaten.

Ravens picked themselves up and easily beat the Rams, Jets, Texans. Then with the Steeler rematch coming up they lose to Jacksonville and squeak by the Cardinals.

Ravens likely looking past both these games to the Steeler rematch that had something to do with their poor performances the last two weeks. I think they will be up for this game and will play like they did on 09/11/11.

So you're still going to go with the excuse that they were looking past those weaker teams? If that's the truth, then that is on Harbaugh for not being able to properly keep his team focused. And if you really think that's true, you should probably be more concerned about that than whether or not they lose this next game. Underestimating seemingly weaker opponents is what kept the Steelers out of the playoffs in '09 (after a 6-2 start).

If you were rational though, you'd just accept that the Ravens actually do have issues of their own, and that they were beaten because the other team outplayed them...instead of making up lame excuses.

Sixburgher
11-03-2011, 12:27 PM
I see the idiot is still in "hyperblather" mode.

Atlanta Dan
11-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Well Flacco had an OK game on 09/11/11 vs the Steelers. 17 for 29, 224 yards, 3 TD's no interceptions..

And broken clocks are right twice a day