PDA

View Full Version : Swaggering Ravens put chip back on shoulder

mesaSteeler
11-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Swaggering Ravens put chip back on shoulder
Friday, November 04, 2011
Mike Preston, The Baltimore Sun

Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs has the right idea.

He stirred the emotions in the NFL's best rivalry this week when he reclaimed ownership of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, talked about his warm and fuzzy relationship with Steelers fans and called out "Smiley," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward.

God bless Terrell Suggs.

There was some concern about the Ravens. After turning in two lackluster performances against Jacksonville and Arizona, I thought they might have lost some life and swagger. And then came Suggs, the NFL's version of Muhammad Ali.

There is no other way to go into Pittsburgh. You don't go in peeping and creeping, behaving like some little puppy with his tail between his legs. You dial the Steelers up and let them know you are coming to town. You remind them of how they got their butts kicked in Baltimore earlier this season and tell them it could happen again in their house in front of their fans and the nation.

Shannon Sharpe would say it. Sam Adams would preach it -- and start talking about bringing his lunch and a hard hat.

I usually am old school, but the Ravens cannot be quiet in this situation. It might appear they were afraid. When the Steelers left Baltimore a couple of months ago, "Smiley" said they would remember the things that happened here.

It was a threat.

Since then, there were reports that the Steelers did not like the way the Ravens tried to run up the score by going for two points and throwing late in the game. They did not like the Ravens dancing on the sideline and chop-blocking their defensive linemen.

And now, they are supposed to have all this momentum because they are virtually unbeatable at home and they got the Terrible Towels, tradition, a short memory and "Renegade," the greatest fight song in Pittsburgh since "Eye of the Tiger."

And blah, blah, blah ... enough.

It was only a matter of time before Suggs answered -- seconds in fact -- about as long as it takes for a reporter to get a microphone under his mouth in Ravens/Steelers week.

"We have been declared war upon," Suggs said Wednesday. "We are the enemy of the state, but who better than us? We're taking 53 men to the apocalypse and we ain't bringing flowers."

Oh, and I love the way he chided "Smiley."

Can No. 86 come out to play?

"I'm looking right at you [No. 86]," Suggs said. "I need you to play. Please put on that 86, and that smile and all those things you do. We need all that for this game."

Even Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb took a swipe at the Steelers by indicating that Antonio Brown was better than Mike Wallace.

Ouch!

Ravens coach John Harbaugh won't shut his guys up this week. He knows better. In this game, you have to talk loud and carry a big stick. Plus, what two better coaches to have in this series than Harbaugh and the Steelers Mike Tomlin? Couldn't you see them duking it out in a Wal-Mart parking lot? They both have chips on their shoulders, and their personalities are made for this game.

I'm glad to see some fight back in the Ravens. As soon as they heard they were 3-point underdogs, you could see and feel the attitude.

"I don't see us as the underdog," said Ravens running back Ray Rice. "The feeling is they are a divisional opponent, they're a rivalry opponent, and we know what this game means. If we win, we've swept them for the season. We don't have to worry about Pittsburgh no more the rest of the year. We control our own destiny. Coming out of this game, we know what it means. It's going to have that playoff-type atmosphere right now."

The underdog role for the Ravens is justified. The Steelers seems to have found its niche, especially on offense with Roethlisberger throwing a lot of short passes. They were impressive in their win Sunday against New England and had the ball on offense for nearly 40 minutes.

But, in a game like this, does it matter?

It's a major fight, two brutes going against one another. The Ravens won the first one, and they have set the tone for the second. This reminds me of the Ravens in 2000, when the Ravens had to travel to much-hated rival Tennessee to play the Titans in an AFC divisional game.

The Ravens were chirping then as they are now. Afterward, then-Ravens coach Brian Billick was asked by reporters about his players' trash talking.

"When you go into the lions' den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee," Billick said.

He was right then; the Ravens are right now.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11308/1187356-66-0.stm#ixzz1cjskxN9H

kirklandrules
11-04-2011, 09:00 AM
It'll be fun watching the chip get knocked off those shoulders. Seems to happen like this the past few years. The Ravens win the early, less meaningful games, only to see the Steelers burst their bubble.

bobby jr
11-04-2011, 01:01 PM
That's the way to go into Pittsburgh. Holding your head high, and no backing down.
Suggs and Rice have every right to be proud of the way the team handled the Steelers on 09/11, and as Rice said, if they win this one they will have the tiebreaker over the Steelers. (Which would mean that if the teams both make the playoffs and meet in the AFC Championship game it would be in Baltimore.)

Suggs saves his best games for Pittsburgh. If he played that way against everyone else he would be MVP.

It will be a war out there. As usual.

Opt2loc
11-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Just gotta love the hype.

stlrtruck
11-04-2011, 01:12 PM
That's the way to go into Pittsburgh. Holding your head high, and no backing down.
Suggs and Rice have every right to be proud of the way the team handled the Steelers on 09/11, and as Rice said, if they win this one they will have the tiebreaker over the Steelers. (Which would mean that if the teams both make the playoffs and meet in the AFC Championship game it would be in Baltimore.)

Suggs saves his best games for Pittsburgh. If he played that way against everyone else he would be MVP.

See that there is the problem jr. He saves his best game for the Steelers instead of playing every game as if it should be his best game. Maybe that's the problem with the ratbirds and every one else in the AFC North - they look at the Steelers and say, if we can only beat them we'll be made. The Steelers move on, the ratbirds - the bungals - the clowns, they are not our standard. Trophies are the Steelers' standard!

SteelCityMom
11-04-2011, 01:28 PM
I just couldn't believe Suggs actually stated that he exists to stop Roethlisberger.

Yes, I know he's sacked Ben more than any other player...and that he keeps Ben's ass in a fridge in his basement? (creepy much?) Big deal. Last I heard, they don't hand out trophies for that sort of thing.

Exists to stop Roethlisberger. How embarrassing. The Steelers are so deep in their heads.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/11/03/suggs-i-exist-to-stop-big-ben/?module=HP11_MYNFL

tanda10506
11-04-2011, 02:34 PM
I just couldn't believe Suggs actually stated that he exists to stop Roethlisberger.

Yes, I know he's sacked Ben more than any other player...and that he keeps Ben's ass in a fridge in his basement? (creepy much?) Big deal. Last I heard, they don't hand out trophies for that sort of thing.

Exists to stop Roethlisberger. How embarrassing. The Steelers are so deep in their heads.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/11/03/suggs-i-exist-to-stop-big-ben/?module=HP11_MYNFL

He has that ghetto thug mentality. Being able to say he "owns" one of the best QB's in the league gets him that "cred" that he wants, when really it has little to do with Ben and more to do with our LT. So if he "owns" Ben because he is able to get there once or twice a game when Ben is throwing, then does Ben own him everytime he doesnt get there and Ben completes a first down or TD?

GMU Steeler
11-04-2011, 02:39 PM

Suggs and the other Ravens are obsessed with the Steelers enough said. It's natural to want to beat a hated rival but the Ravens players seem to think that we're their only real roadblock to the Super Bowl when they have other problems.

Fire Arians
11-04-2011, 02:41 PM
i cant stand suggs cause he looks just like me, the mother****er ugly

steelerjim58
11-04-2011, 02:45 PM
I saw in one artice where thuggs said Ben knew he was one of the few guys in the league who could bring Ben down. I was wondering how that workrd out last year when Ben held him off with one hand and got rid of the ball to save a big sack.

tony hipchest
11-04-2011, 04:44 PM

It will be a war out there. As usual.the steelers will finish the season with more wins than the ravens so there will be no tiebreaker scenario you speak of boob.

atleast you admit that the paper tiger suggs, half asses it and loafs in 14 games out of the season, which helps explain why you lose games to the jaguars, nearly get your asses handed to you by cardinals, and were the only win in miami's 1-15 season :toofunny:

you'll never win a SB with that side show clown. he's as bad as flacco.

stb_steeler
11-04-2011, 05:42 PM

Dude u really need to step away from the model glue.:popcorn:

Mick0311
11-04-2011, 06:21 PM
See that there is the problem jr. He saves his best game for the Steelers instead of playing every game as if it should be his best game. Maybe that's the problem with the ratbirds and every one else in the AFC North - they look at the Steelers and say, if we can only beat them we'll be made. The Steelers move on, the ratbirds - the bungals - the clowns, they are not our standard. Trophies are the Steelers' standard!

Yes, I'm sure that's how that goes down. That makes sense.

Mick0311
11-04-2011, 06:24 PM
the steelers will finish the season with more wins than the ravens so there will be no tiebreaker scenario you speak of boob.

atleast you admit that the paper tiger suggs, half asses it and loafs in 14 games out of the season, which helps explain why you lose games to the jaguars, nearly get your asses handed to you by cardinals, and were the only win in miami's 1-15 season :toofunny:

you'll never win a SB with that side show clown. he's as bad as flacco.

Yes, if only Suggs could have gotten just one first down in the opening half against Jacksonville. Man, that would have proven his worth. He's such a bum.

steelfury02
11-04-2011, 10:27 PM
http://www.one4theotherthumb.com/images/stories/suggs3.jpg http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxT1UAj6L8bzAr_wqjhUPmN8DEeOBgz ZKTIdNWHjBiCqXFodDYFpV2vVaeJQ

Ohhhhhh WILLLLLLLLBURRRRRR

Deserei90
11-04-2011, 11:37 PM
http://www.one4theotherthumb.com/images/stories/suggs3.jpg http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxT1UAj6L8bzAr_wqjhUPmN8DEeOBgz ZKTIdNWHjBiCqXFodDYFpV2vVaeJQ

Ohhhhhh WILLLLLLLLBURRRRRRFugly as Hell!

Lokki
11-05-2011, 07:52 AM

Ohhhhhh WILLLLLLLLBURRRRRR

haha I just about spit my breakfast on to my monitor. Well played sir.

btaylor179
11-05-2011, 08:46 AM
thats funny as s$%t

steelfury02
11-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Anxiously awaiting Suggs and company's post game excuses and the inevitable

"We'll see these guys again - it ain't over yet . . ."

THIS GAME NEEDS TO START ALREADY!!!!!!!!

stlrtruck
11-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Anxiously awaiting Suggs and company's post game excuses and the inevitable

"We'll see these guys again - it ain't over yet . . ."

THIS GAME NEEDS TO START ALREADY!!!!!!!!

Get ready for some, well we have Rice and he didn't get enough touches.

or, Ben outplayed us today, we couldn't get through to him.

or, from the coach - We let the Steelers win this one.

bobby jr
11-05-2011, 01:08 PM
It's a rare player who can play at his best and dominate the opposition through an entire NFL season. Suggs has his good games, his great games, and games when he seems to disappear. However he is almost always at his best, or his near best, when the Ravens play the Steelers.

I'd rather see him play well against the Steelers than against Jacksonville. The Steelers are the Ravens divisional opponent and handing them a loss is more important than beating the Jaguars. Also the head to head results are very important in the event of a tie at the end of the season.

The Ravens will win the game tomorrow night because they have to. By winning this game the Ravens will be 2-0 and against the Steelers and will control their own destiny. Even if the Steelers win out, after losing to the Ravens, the Ravens can handle their weak opponents for the rest of the year. we will have the Steelers in Baltimore if we happen to face them in the playoffs. Big advantage for the Ravens there in M+T Bank Stadium.

As an aside, I heard on the radio that Steeler fans are extremely worried about this game tomorrow night.
The Steelers are of course very important to Pittsburgh, where fans take it very seriously. More so than most NFL cities. And evidentially a lot of Pittsburgh fans are not confident about beating the Ravens.

SteeleReign
11-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Get ready for some, well we have Rice and he didn't get enough touches.

or, Ben outplayed us today, we couldn't get through to him.

or, from the coach - We let the Steelers win this one.

And don't forget every Ravens fan's (and coach Hairball's too) favorite..."we got screwed by the officials..." :blah:

stlrtruck
11-05-2011, 01:40 PM
I've been thinking about this a little bit today...
but I believe the ratbirds are attempting theft...
SWAGGER
belongs to one...
IKE TAYLOR!

mizzouristeeler
11-05-2011, 01:48 PM
And don't forget every Ravens fan's (and coach Hairball's too) favorite..."we got screwed by the officials..." :blah:

God didn't want them to win the game

TRH
11-05-2011, 08:24 PM
We have to find an answer for Suggs this time. Someone has to contain him/block him. He OWNS us every game. When he plays against us, we make him look like Christ himself has come down to play.

TRH
11-05-2011, 08:27 PM
It's a rare player who can play at his best and dominate the opposition through an entire NFL season.

As an aside, I heard on the radio that Steeler fans are extremely worried about this game tomorrow night.
The Steelers are of course very important to Pittsburgh, where fans take it very seriously. More so than most NFL cities. And evidentially a lot of Pittsburgh fans are not confident about beating the Ravens.

Of course the fans are worried. A whole bunch (many of our best nonetheless) of our guys are out AND if Harrison plays, he won't be at his best either.
This isn't good for either side, because i think if the Ravens want to beat us again, they would want to beat us when we can say we're at our best.........not when a bunch of our stars are injured/can't play.

Fire Arians
11-05-2011, 08:59 PM
I've been thinking about this a little bit today...
but I believe the ratbirds are attempting theft...
SWAGGER
belongs to one...
IKE TAYLOR!

yeah they can't see him either :thumbsup:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn285/FDL_54/BurlaYouCantSeeMe.gif

SteelerEmpire
11-05-2011, 09:23 PM
When we suffered our SB hangovers and didn't make the playoffs is when the Ravens missed their best opportunities to get a SB trophy. They should have stepped up "then" and got their due, but they failed to do so. I think this Steelers team is only gonna build off of the momentum they have going. And since game 1, the Steelers have gotten better while the Ravens have gotten worse (esp. on offense).

1) Flacco's inconsistent. 2) The Pats offense is WAY better than the Ravens and they (the Pats offense) got "shut down" by the Steelers D. 3)even though our defenses are comparable, I think our WR's are better than their DB's IF Ben shows up to play. 4) this is a "revenge" game for the Steelers for that week 1 embarrassment. 5) the game is being played at Heinz Field, in primetime. 6) NO WAY the Ravens win this one !!!

cubanstogie
11-05-2011, 10:45 PM
It's a rare player who can play at his best and dominate the opposition through an entire NFL season. Suggs has his good games, his great games, and games when he seems to disappear. However he is almost always at his best, or his near best, when the Ravens play the Steelers.

I'd rather see him play well against the Steelers than against Jacksonville. The Steelers are the Ravens divisional opponent and handing them a loss is more important than beating the Jaguars. Also the head to head results are very important in the event of a tie at the end of the season.

The Ravens will win the game tomorrow night because they have to. By winning this game the Ravens will be 2-0 and against the Steelers and will control their own destiny. Even if the Steelers win out, after losing to the Ravens, the Ravens can handle their weak opponents for the rest of the year. we will have the Steelers in Baltimore if we happen to face them in the playoffs. Big advantage for the Ravens there in M+T Bank Stadium.

this post could be one of the dumbest posts ever. The Ravens will win because they have to. What does that mean. Don't answer it was hypothetical. And not that its true but even if it were does it matter that Steelers fans are not confident about beating the Ravens. Its irrelevant what fans think. Bottom line is this is usually a good, close hard nose game. Week 1 was different and Ravens came out sharp and took it to Steelers. Kudos to them, but we all know there are ebbs and flows throughout the season. Steelers are flowing and Ravens stuck in an ebb. Week 1 matters as much as Bens 6-2 record against Flacco. They are both in the past , bottom line is Steelers are playing better football. Even if you call the D's even our big advantage is Ben over Flacco. No sane person can give the edge to Joe.

bobby jr
11-06-2011, 08:03 AM
this post could be one of the dumbest posts ever. The Ravens will win because they have to. What does that mean. Don't answer it was hypothetical. And not that its true but even if it were does it matter that Steelers fans are not confident about beating the Ravens. Its irrelevant what fans think. Bottom line is this is usually a good, close hard nose game. Week 1 was different and Ravens came out sharp and took it to Steelers. Kudos to them, but we all know there are ebbs and flows throughout the season. Steelers are flowing and Ravens stuck in an ebb. Week 1 matters as much as Bens 6-2 record against Flacco. They are both in the past , bottom line is Steelers are playing better football. Even if you call the D's even our big advantage is Ben over Flacco. No sane person can give the edge to Joe.

Bottom line, the Ravens dominated the Steelers in week one, the Ravens are highly motivated to win this game, and the Ravens match up well against the Steelers.
I'm expecting another lopsided Ravens win today.

Ravens 32
Steelers 10.

SteelerEmpire
11-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Bottom line, the Ravens dominated the Steelers in week one, the Ravens are highly motivated to win this game, and the Ravens match up well against the Steelers.
I'm expecting another lopsided Ravens win today.

Ravens 32
Steelers 10.

True dat. But the Ravens also got dominated by Jacksonville. Sometimes teams just "don't show up" for games...