PDA

View Full Version : I Need to know...

FanSince72
11-04-2011, 09:14 AM
I didn't know where to post this, so if it needs to go somewhere else please do so.

Has anyone ever had their knee scoped for a torn meniscus?

I tore mine playing Frisbee with my nephew (thinking I was 18 again) and I'm going in for arthroscopic surgery next Friday.

I was wondering what I'm looking at in terms of recovery time as well as any other issues.

Thanks

Twentyvalve
11-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Scoped? Seems odd. Mine was discovered with an MRI. The procedure for fixing it is simple. Quick recovery too. And, you get some good drugs afterwards. I took two, hallucinated - I saw giant floating baby heads. That was the end of that!

Yes, wrong forum, and wrong site even. But, since you asked, I obliged. PM me if you want more info.

I didn't know where to post this, so if it needs to go somewhere else please do so.

Go Steelers!

There, on topic now!

Has anyone ever had their knee scoped for a torn meniscus?

I tore mine playing Frisbee with my nephew (thinking I was 18 again) and I'm going in for arthroscopic surgery next Friday.

I was wondering what I'm looking at in terms of recovery time as well as any other issues.

Thanks

Curtain_of_Steel
11-04-2011, 09:33 AM
You will be walking in a few days, doesn't take long to recover. Don't go and run amarathon anytime soon, lol

The only thing is, that they fix it the right way. At times a bilateral release is needed, which free's up the knee cap more which tends to rub after the meniscus surgery.

As for the right or wrong forumn? You will probably be tar and feathered by the message board patrol. Might get suspended for a week, fined by goodell and firm tongue lashing.
Who cares, its a message board, lol

Curtain_of_Steel
11-04-2011, 09:35 AM
oh,. you may have to have it drained a few times by this huge needle. So listen to what the doctor says to do, to minimize draining. My wife thought she was smarter, 4 drainings later, followed by the bilateral release surgery. Her knee is perfectly fine. even walked a 60mile charity gig a few weeks ago.

SteelCityMom
11-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Haha...wrong section, but certainly not the wrong site. Don't have to talk strictly football all the time!

Like CoS said, it's a message board...who cares!

steelerchad
11-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Had mine done 5 years ago. How well it recovers is up to you. I didn't have complete confidence in mine for more than 6 months. Mine was from playing racquetball. Dr. said it is classic cause for this injury because of the twisting motion, much like your frisbee throwing.
My knee was fine for everyday walking around, but getting back on the court caused me some issues. Started playing again in about a month, but it bothered me a little for more than 6 months.
Do the stretching exercises he gives you to do. Stationary bike is good after 2 weeks also. Low impact. If you play any sports this stuff is no joke. It will speed your recovery and increase your flexibility.

FanSince72
11-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Had mine done 5 years ago. How well it recovers is up to you. I didn't have complete confidence in mine for more than 6 months. Mine was from playing racquetball. Dr. said it is classic cause for this injury because of the twisting motion, much like your frisbee throwing.
My knee was fine for everyday walking around, but getting back on the court caused me some issues. Started playing again in about a month, but it bothered me a little for more than 6 months.
Do the stretching exercises he gives you to do. Stationary bike is good after 2 weeks also. Low impact. If you play any sports this stuff is no joke. It will speed your recovery and increase your flexibility.

My doctor put it to me this way: "In about three weeks, it'll all seem worth it"

Right now, my knee bothers me most when I walk or stand for a long time.
I'm a golfer and my golf swing doesn't bother my knee at all but walking the course does. I also cannot squat down to read a putt, which is something that I've always done but can't do know due to pain and swelling in my knee.

The odd thing was that when I tore it up, I didn't feel it right away. In fact, after my Frisbee session (which included much diving and spinning) I felt fine - even went to a driving range afterward to practice golf for the next day.

But after playing golf that day, I could hardly walk back to my car and it's been bothering me ever since.

They tell me it's mostly just junk floating around and getting stuck between the bones and it basically just has to be snipped and removed.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback (and from everyone else as well).