PDA

View Full Version : First thing Ben needs to do once he is healthy

section514
06-14-2006, 08:37 AM
I saw this idea in an article online, can't remember where.

Instead of doing a Poverty Neck music video, or chowin down on Chunky Soup, Big Ben needs to do a Public Service annoucement.

The Title:

Wear a Helmet

I am planning on using my students this fall write a letter to Big Ben to wear a helmet. I think that a bunch of 2nd graders writing hand writen notes will have a bigger impact than some newpaper yelling at him.

If there are any other teachers in this forum, I think you should do the same.

I am only a student teacher, so I am not sure how far I can take this idea this fall, but I am going to try.

Just an idea...

Ohio Steeler
06-14-2006, 08:44 AM
I just dont see Big Ben doing that, I dont think what happened to him will make him change his mind on the whole helment issue...

83-Steelers-43
06-14-2006, 08:50 AM
It still amazes me that the helmet issue is even brought up. How about just putting the bike down until your retired? I agreed completely with Theismann, Bradshaw and Cowher when I was first notified that he was riding a motorcycle.

During that time, everybody was making a big deal about him not wearing a helmet and I'm thinking to myself "why in the hell is he riding a bike in the first place?".

section514
06-14-2006, 09:26 AM
I just dont see Big Ben doing that, I dont think what happened to him will make him change his mind on the whole helment issue...

are you kidding me?

do you honestly think Ben will get back on a bike without a helmet, let alone ride a bike at all again? Ben is a stubborn kid, but not stupid. He learned his lesson, he had to of.

stlrtruck
06-14-2006, 10:02 AM
are you kidding me?

do you honestly think Ben will get back on a bike without a helmet, let alone ride a bike at all again? Ben is a stubborn kid, but not stupid. He learned his lesson, he had to of.

We can only hope and pray that he learned his lesson. I agree that he isn't stupid and that he realizes God sent him a Guardian Angel and that he shouldn't be testing him any more in the next 10+ years.

R2sojr
06-14-2006, 10:05 AM
i dont see him having much leway once his new contract comes out....he prob will be limited to only being able to watch movies and riding a moutain bike at the Point...if i were the steelers org. i would be strict with him...i mean i know hes young and has to live his life but this isnt your normal job...your comitted to a organization and ppl invest millions of dollars in you....if he cant make that sacrafice then somethings wrong...plus his agent should of not let him get on that bike...it was both imature on both there parts...a hard lesson learned:dang:

Suitanim
06-14-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm reasonably sure that Ben is going to be convicted of driving without a license, and will be sentenced to doing a bunch of community service. I'd not be at all surprised if some of that consisted of doing PSA's about bike safety and such, maybe even including PSA's about wearing a helmet.

caseydog
06-14-2006, 12:44 PM

I wish I knew ten-percent now, of what I thought I knew at 24.

When I was Ben's age, I was so incredibly smart. I knew so much more than those old farts who were always trying to "teach" me things.

Of course, now I AM an "old fart" and I don't know anywhere near as much as I did when I was young. Where did all that knowledge go? (sigh)

Who is Terry Bradshaw to give a young NFL QB advice? Sure, he's got those four rings, and he IS in the hall of fame -- but so what. He's just another "old fart" who doesn't know anything.

Ben is no different than most young men. We are all too smart for our own good when we are young.

caligirlsteelerfan86
06-14-2006, 11:23 PM
I haven't really said too much regarding this issue, because I'm just an outsider looking in with my own personal views and I can't speak for anyone but myself. I feel the very first thing he need's to do is to appologize to his family (well not really appologize, an accident is an accident) that he should have taken precautions to protect himself. Even if he wasn't an awsome QB with a bright future, he should think about himself and how your actions effect your loved ones. I think most of us buckle up when we drive, we drink and hopefully have someone else drive us home. I know a lot of people are annoyed with the helmet issue, but it's hard not too, it should be second nature to help protect yourself. So, I really believe he owes his family. Then he owes the Steelers, to me at first, it sounds bad, but it's true. He does have a lot invested in him! I have no clue what it's like to be his age and have so much on my shoulders. I am 28 an have an okay job, and I know I cannot go out on a Friday night to a bar and get drunk, think I have sobered up and drive home. If I get a DUI on my off time, I will be fired from my job and I don't make millions a year. Even without that threat I think of my family, friends, and others well being before I do my own. I hope he is feeling crappy right now (sorry if I offened people). He has to realize how many lives he has effected, he effected his family/friends, steelers org, fans, and last but not least the lady that hit him (honestly I feel worse for her even though she hit him, he shouldn't have been on that bike)! I do think he will learn from this event and he will own up to his responsibility as an avg joe like the rest of us would have too. I really hope he can continue playing, not for me as a fan, but for himself. I ran college cross country and had knee surgery and because of that lost my scholarship and that hurt, I know I don't have the skills Big Ben does, but it still hurts. Even though I do believe he made a big mistake, he does not deserve to lose it all, we all deserve a second chance. I wish him well, honestly I do. But, I am human, I am a STEELERS fan (team, not individual players), and I have my own opinioins (like *******s everyones got one). I hope he see's how mcu his family and friends love him, not really how us fans see him, but what his family see's and he will take care of himself. Let's wish him well and hope he continues to play and finish his dreams (I get worried even though they say he's fine, one good hit could ruin his careeer)! Get well first Ben, come back when your strong enough!

stlrtruck
06-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Actually, the first thing he should do when he gets home is sale all other motorcycles he owns. Then donate the money to charity.

WWIIOwheelz
06-15-2006, 11:45 AM
This will probably set a new standard in pro sports contracts. Even if it is unknown whether they participate in such activities, teams will probably err on the side of caution. This was too close to an ultimate tragedy.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
06-15-2006, 12:15 PM
It cost Ben some extra money spending a few days in the hospital.

Chunky soup was going to pay him $2,000,000 to be on the commercial with his mother.
Not that he "needs" the money........but hey.... 2 mil is nice

CAH
06-15-2006, 12:27 PM
The 1st thing he should do is apologize to Terry Bradshaw and Joe Theismann. He treated them terribly b/c they advised him to put aside the motorcycle until he retires. Ben is young and stupid but he has to learn to respect his elders when they gave him advice. They learned from experience, theirs or their teammates, and they must have liked Ben or they just wouldn't give a darn.

stlrtruck
06-15-2006, 01:16 PM
I thought they were still going to use him, just at a later date.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-15-2006, 01:23 PM
(now that I know he is going to be okay)

First thing he should do is rework the soup commercial..."Hi I'm Ben...I couldnt eat anything but soup for three weeks...and my soup of choice was Campbells!"

****I think I just became one of those people whos brains arn't fully developed....ITS A JOKE...LIGHTEN UP...he is going to be okay and we are set for another World championship!!!!:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: ****

SteelerzGirl
06-15-2006, 09:19 PM
One of the first things Ben should do once he's healthy is hire himself a personal assistant to take care of all his day-to-day stuff and keep him on the straight and narrow. I could possibly be available to help him out in that regard. :grin:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Once of the first things Ben should do once he's healthy is hire himself a personal assistant to take care of all his day-to-day stuff and keep him on the straight and narrow. I could possibly be available to help him out in that regard. :grin:

Well I would vote for you to be Ben's personal assistant. I'm sure you would keep Ben off those damn motorcycles.:bouncy:

SteelerzGirl
06-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Well I would vote for you to be Ben's personal assistant. I'm sure you would keep Ben off those damn motorcycles.:bouncy:

Awww... Thanks for your vote, BGF32! :smile: You're darn right I would keep Ben off the bike...(lol). :wink: