PDA

View Full Version : Looking better at linebacker

mesaSteeler
11-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Looking better at linebacker
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/30664-looking-better-at-linebacker
Saturday, 05 November 2011 09:00
Written by Bob Smizik

Itís been a good week of practice for the Steelers. They went from the probability of having none of their top four linebackers at their regular positions in the starting lineup to having four of their top six linebackers ready to go and in their proper positions for the crucial game tomorrow night against the Baltimore Ravens.

Itís still a game-time decision on right outside linebacker James Harrison, but the Steelers went from looking like this from left to right on the linebacker depth chart:

Chris Carter, Stevenson Sylvester, Larry Foote, Lawrence Timmons.

To this: Jason Worilds, Foote, Timmons, Harrison.

In the first group, only Timmons was a starter but he was out of position at right outside linebacker.

With the second group, Worilds is the teamís top replacement at outside linebacker and thereís a good chance he would have replaced Harrison, instead of moving Timmons over from the inside, if had had not been hurt at the same time.

Timmons and Harrison will be starting at their regular positions and Foote, in place of James Farrior. But Foote, a former starter, had been getting significant playing time even when the Steelers were at full strength.

Harrison is scheduled to see a doctor today to get final word on his availability and the status of the broken orbital bone that has kept him out of the lineup for four games. The Steelers are listing his as probable, which technically means

tanda10506
11-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Great news. Hopefully Harrison will get the pressure Woodley has been getting. My only woory is that he was playing below his average in the first few games, and now has missed more and has anothet injury besides his healing back. He is a true football player though, hopefully he makes a big impact. Im glad Timmons is back in the middle but we still need to put a CB on Dickson. Also, Carter played well when he came in for Woodley, I think as the game goes on we will see him more then Worilds. Overall, yes it is looking better at LB.

steelers33
11-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Great news. Hopefully Harrison will get the pressure Woodley has been getting. My only woory is that he was playing below his average in the first few games, and now has missed more and has anothet injury besides his healing back. He is a true football player though, hopefully he makes a big impact. Im glad Timmons is back in the middle but we still need to put a CB on Dickson. Also, Carter played well when he came in for Woodley, I think as the game goes on we will see him more then Worilds. Overall, yes it is looking better at LB.

Thats because his back was really bothering him those first few weeks. Maybe this injury was a blessing in disguise, because he's had time to heal his back and won't have to go through the wear and tear of a whole season. I expect Debo to play well, and plus we've won all the games that he's been out.:tt04:

SH-Rock
11-05-2011, 01:04 PM
The standard is the standard. I don't expect them to play at Steeler LB, but at least good enough to show that there isn't a deficiency.

Steelersfan87
11-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Carter has a good motor, but he gets completely stalemated as soon as he gets some hands on him. He's not strong enough. Worilds is definitely the better player right now.

DanRooney
11-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Carter has a good motor, but he gets completely stalemated as soon as he gets some hands on him. He's not strong enough. Worilds is definitely the better player right now.

Based on Worilds' last 4 weeks of epic play?

Steel_Bus_24
11-05-2011, 02:53 PM
I really worry about Worilds in run support too

Yinzer Dolt
11-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Whats the latest on Grubbs? Turf Toe? He has been out since week one, and a lot of their offensive troubles have been attributed to his back up not be athletic enough to reach the second level defenders line backers. The left side of their line has stunk it up and if he is a go, it could pose problems like week one.

SteelCityMom
11-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Whats the latest on Grubbs? Turf Toe? He has been out since week one, and a lot of their offensive troubles have been attributed to his back up not be athletic enough to reach the second level defenders line backers. The left side of their line has stunk it up and if he is a go, it could pose problems like week one.

From everything I've heard, he should be ready to go...though he's still listed as questionable.

Keep in mind as well, that we didn't have Starks in week 1 and we did have McFadden. We're a bit stronger in those areas now. It also helps that (probably) both Woodley and Harrison won't be out.

DanRooney
11-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Hope Kapinos is ready for the challenge. I expect we're going to see A LOT of him tomorrow.

Fire Arians
11-05-2011, 04:47 PM
having harrison back in the lineup would be huge

SteelCityMom
11-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Hope Kapinos is ready for the challenge. I expect we're going to see A LOT of him tomorrow.

He did fine last season, so I'm not too concerned.

Steeldude
11-05-2011, 05:46 PM
foote playing farrior's spot is not good news

Steeldude
11-05-2011, 05:48 PM
I really worry about Worilds in run support too

could it be any worse than woodley? we'll see.

tanda10506
11-05-2011, 09:20 PM
foote playing farrior's spot is not good news

Not bad news either, they are similar but Foote played well last week.

Fire Arians
11-05-2011, 09:25 PM

truth

id rather have foote in farrior's position than timmons in harrison's

Steelersfan87
11-06-2011, 01:40 AM
Based on Worilds' last 4 weeks of epic play?

Yes, obviously. Why would you even bother saying something so stupid? Because you "didn't like the pick"? Why don't you go complain about Ziggy Hood and Keenan Lewis more.

tony hipchest
11-06-2011, 01:57 AM

:huh:

why, does he play linebacker as well?

i dont understand why a punter discussion being introduced in a defensive thread.

punters are usually only seen A LOT when the offense fails, which has absolutely nothing to do with LB's.

:doh: (we'll be seeing more of the ravens punter tomorrow anyways, thanks to the steelers DEFENSE, and harrisons return)

Steeldude
11-06-2011, 01:14 AM

but he didn't play in farrior's spot? foote is one of the worst NFL LBs in pass coverage.

tony hipchest
11-06-2011, 01:28 AM
but he didn't play in farrior's spot? foote is one of the worst NFL LBs in pass coverage.actually he did. he moved over and made all the defensive calls and stevenson slipped into his/timmons spot.

Steelers inside linebacker Larry Foote received the highest of praise from the man he replaced Sunday against the New England Patriots.

"It was like I was out there," James Farrior said.

Don't get the wrong idea. Farrior wasn't being an egomaniac as much as he was taking a playful jab at Foote, his best friend on the team. But his words had plenty of validity.

It's not so much what Foote did after the ball was snapped to Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, although he played every play and had a big part in holding the New England offense to 213 yards in a 25-17 victory. That he was so solid came as no surprise. He proved long ago he's a quality NFL linebacker. He started every game for the Steelers from 2004-08, including Super Bowl XL and XLIII. He played the '09 season with his hometown Detroit Lions before re-joining the Steelers before last season.

It's what Foote did before the snap that was impressive. As Farrior's fill-in, he had to make all of the defensive calls and make sure his teammates were lined up correctly for each play. "When you're not used to doing it, it can be tough," Farrior said. "But he made all of the calls and all of the adjustments. He did an excellent job."

The big victory and Foote's performance made it a little easier for Farrior to miss the game, ending a streak of 93 consecutive regular-season starts dating to November 2005. He is out with a torn calf and could miss a home game Sunday night against Baltimore and a game Nov. 13 at Cincinnati before the open week. It's likely Foote will remain the team's main man in the middle.

"I'll never be compared to 51," Foote said of Farrior, the team's unquestioned leader on the field and in the locker room. "I'm not even going to try to be him. I just wanted to go out and earn the respect of my teammates and show them I could lead this defense."

There didn't appear to be any blown coverages by a Steelers secondary that played a marvelous game. Brady completed only one pass longer than 19 yards and finished with 198 passing yards. There also didn't appear to be any missed assignments in the run defense. Running back Kevin Faulk's 9-yard run late in the second quarter off of a direct snap was the longest in a game when the Patriots had 43 rushing yards.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Mission accomplished for Foote.

This was Foote's fourth consecutive start, although his first at Farrior's inside spot. Foote moved into the lineup at Lawrence Timmons' inside position Oct. 9 against Tennessee, bumping Timmons to outside linebacker because of All-Pro James Harrison's fractured orbital bone.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11305/1186558-87-0.stm#ixzz1cuMMN3jD

Steeldude
11-06-2011, 06:38 AM
thanks for the info.

i am not excited about foote having to cover rice though, but he knows the plays so i guess it is better than sylvester being in there against the pats.

in this game i think timmons should slide into farrior's spot. he's quicker than foote.

SteelMayhem29
11-06-2011, 12:50 PM
:applaudit:I really worry about Worilds in run support too

SoCalFan
11-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Worilds has not had enough playing time to prove himself against the run IMHO...