PDA

View Full Version : Kapinos signed; Sepulveda on IR again

SteelCityMom
11-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Kapinos Signed, Sepulveda on IR
Posted 6 minutes ago
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Kapinos-Signed-Sepulveda-on-IR/f2135c6a-7555-48b1-aa3f-26c12e4033b6

The Steelers signed fourth-year punter Jeremy Kapinostoday to fill a void at the position, the team announced. Financial terms of the one-year deal were not disclosed.
This marks the second consecutive year the Steelers have signed Kapinos (KAP-in-os) to their active roster. Last season, Kapinos was signed by the Steelers in early December and remained the teamís punter for the final four regular-season games as well as the postseason, including Super Bowl XLV. He was released by the Steelers in the final cuts of the 2011 training camp and was not on an NFL roster this year.

Kapinos finished the 2010 season with a 41.1 yards-per-punt average for Pittsburgh, including a career-long 59-yarder in the season finale at Cleveland. For his career, he has averaged 42.6 yards per punt in 26 games played.

Prior to punting in one game in 2010 for the Indianapolis Colts, Kapinos spent the 2009 season with the Green Bay Packers and averaged 43.8 yards on 66 punts, including 15 punts placed inside the opponentís 20-yard line. He originally signed with Green Bay as a free agent on Dec. 3, 2008, and averaged 39.1 yards on 17 punts during the final four games of the season. He was not re-signed by Green Bay in 2010.

Kapinos originally signed as an undrafted rookie with the New York Jets in 2007 after receiving third-team All-America honors as a senior in 2006 at Penn State. He was released in training camp but re-signed with the Jets late in the season and played in the final game of the year at Tennessee. He averaged 41.6 yards on five punts against the Titans.

Kapinos will wear No. 13 for the Steelers.

To make room for Kapinos, the Steelers placed fifth-year punter Daniel Sepulvedahttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/daniel-sepulveda/296350b1-2a18-4909-88d5-e8d3db0de0a1/) on the teamís Reserve/Injured List after injuring his right knee this past week in practice. This marks the third time he has been placed on the Reserve/Injured List with a knee injury.

-----------------------------------------------------

As much as I love him, this has got to be the end for Sepulveda here. He just isn't reliable, from an injury standpoint, anymore.

California-Steel
11-05-2011, 04:30 PM
WTF!!!! Cut him like yesterday already.

Bayz101
11-05-2011, 04:32 PM
When Sepulveda first appeared on the field for us, it was evident the kid was cut out to be an excellent punter. He always impressed me, and everyone around me. With his injuries, it's just not looking good for him, and I wish him the best. As for Kapinos, he's a good punter himself. I remember him at Penn State. He'll be just fine.

davidtrout
11-05-2011, 04:56 PM
My heart goes out to him. Great talent, seems like a good guy, knees like toothpicks, sad...

DanRooney
11-05-2011, 05:35 PM
lmao.

This is ridiculously unbelievable.

tanda10506
11-05-2011, 05:37 PM
I dont know how somebody who is in 4 plays or so a game is always hurt. Kapinos doesnt kick as far, but he still is pretty good.

Fire Arians
11-05-2011, 05:45 PM
"You're fired"

SteelCityMom
11-05-2011, 05:56 PM
I dont know how somebody who is in 4 plays or so a game is always hurt. Kapinos doesnt kick as far, but he still is pretty good.

Yeah, he did fine last year. He doesn't have the leg that Sepulveda has (which I guess is a good thing :chuckle: ), but he's no slouch. All we need is someone serviceable...and Kapinos is certainly that.

stb_steeler
11-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Wonder how long the Steelers keep him until they actually cut him for good.
This is getting to be a broken record.

StainlessStill
11-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Everytime Sup is placed on IR, we go to the Super Bowl. Coincidence? Terrible news, likely career ending. The guy had the tools, but the tool failed him sadly. I wish him the best.

Atlanta Dan
11-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah, he did fine last year. He doesn't have the leg that Sepulveda has (which I guess is a good thing :chuckle: ), but he's no slouch. All we need is someone serviceable...and Kapinos is certainly that.

The drop-off may not be that much, assuming Kapinos does not get a punt blocked while he adjusts to game conditions

Ed. B. of the P-G (who from day one criticized the Steelers trading up to pick Sepulveda - a spot on position in hindsight) wrote back in August that he thought Kapinos might be the 2011 punter rather than Sepulveda

After Sepulveda re-signed with the Steelers this summer as a free agent, it was a foregone conclusion that he would return to punt for them after his second ACL surgery in two years.

No one bothered to ask Kapinos what he thought.

Kapinos signed to punt for them last December after Sepulveda's knee injury, and he did so through the Super Bowl. It's down to the wire now on which one they will keep.

Some other team is going to get a good punter for nothing early next week because the Steelers cannot keep both. The signs were ominous Thursday night in Charlotte for Sepulveda.

It's not just that Kapinos booted both of his punts 63 yards, one without a return, and had a net average of 59 yards compared to Sepulveda's two that averaged 40.5 gross, 31.5 net.

The other bad sign for Sepulveda was Kapinos held the ball for No. 1 kicker Shaun Suisham while Sepulveda held for backup kicker Waters, who was cut Friday.

Why would Mike Tomlin not have Sepulveda holding for Suisham unless his job were in serious jeopardy?

Sepulveda and Suisham were together for just two games last season, and they needed all the real-time practice they could get. Thursday night was the perfect opportunity, and they did not do it.

It looked more as if Tomlin were getting Kapinos ready to hold for the regular season and be his punter.

Either way, someone will get a good kicker off the waiver wire or as a free agent.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11246/1172001-66-0.stm

steelfury02
11-05-2011, 06:08 PM
let's just not use a 4th rd pick on a punter again please - can get a good one in 7th or by tryout lol

In all seriousness though - I wish the dude well, he was a nice addition but we know what type of business the NFL is - and it is especially unkind to special team lifers

Stlrs4Life
11-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Shame, the guy gets injured easily, he was having a good season too. Kapinos will do fine.

SoCalFan
11-05-2011, 07:28 PM
This could be a blessing! More pressure on the offense to keep the punt count down! :noidea:

steelerchad
11-05-2011, 08:17 PM
I think this is it for Sepulveda. You just can't be worrying about your punters health every year. 3rd season out of 4 he's missing major time. He's done with us. Kapinos played well last year and should do fine. I'd like to see us ease him in and have him ride the bench all day Sunday.

Thank god we have Kapinos as an option. Berger and Ernster are available I believe.

TRH
11-05-2011, 08:21 PM
I can't take it anymore. Injured ALL the time. As a punter.
I loved Sep, but it just isn't worth it anymore. Release him. We'll be fine.

Is he made of glass or something?

SteelCityMom
11-05-2011, 08:31 PM
I think this is it for Sepulveda. You just can't be worrying about your punters health every year. 3rd season out of 4 he's missing major time. He's done with us. Kapinos played well last year and should do fine. I'd like to see us ease him in and have him ride the bench all day Sunday.

Thank god we have Kapinos as an option. Berger and Ernster are available I believe.

Berger and Ernster should be censored words on here. :chuckle:

I agree with you though...Kapinos will do fine. We don't need a perfect punter, just a decent one.

SoCalFan
11-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Kap will be fine punting!But can he throw for a first down?:noidea:

caplovestroyp43
11-05-2011, 09:24 PM
I wanted to VOMIT when I read this. Oh the pain, the pain of it all. :-(

austinfrench76
11-05-2011, 09:26 PM
My God. Even our hunter is kn IR!!!

austinfrench76
11-05-2011, 09:26 PM
That's Punter.

NoFieldFive
11-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Sepulveda has a strong leg but doesn't seem to do well keeping the ball inside the 10. not sure how Kapinos did in that area but can't be much worse

tanda10506
11-05-2011, 10:15 PM
I can't take it anymore. Injured ALL the time. As a punter.
I loved Sep, but it just isn't worth it anymore. Release him. We'll be fine.
Is he made of glass or something?

That's what I don't get, how do you keep getting hurt as a punter? He only kicks it a few times a game IF THAT. I feel bad for him, he needs to start taking some vitamins or something though, damn.

finesward
11-05-2011, 10:52 PM
That's what I don't get, how do you keep getting hurt as a punter? He only kicks it a few times a game IF THAT. I feel bad for him, he needs to start taking some vitamins or something though, damn.

yeah, because punters and kickers don't practice all week or warm up before the game, they only kick a few times a week IF THAT....I'm sure there's a lot about life and football you don't get.

OR, it could be that he tore his ACL multiple times in his career...

vitamins? really? :doh:

you should talk mr critical thinker

ricardisimo
11-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Can you say "Superbowl bound!!!"?

ETL
11-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Woooo Hooooo!

This is the best news yet! The last two times we went to the SB - Sepulveda was injured midseason.

(I was going to hire Tonya Harding's ex-husband to take a steel pipe and crack his knee but now I can spend the money on strippers instead!!!)

Pittsburgh's going to the Super Bowl....

Merchant
11-06-2011, 01:08 AM
What the fuk is this dude's deal? CUT HIM. Jesus christ.. how many chances can you ask for. Dude's worse than Limas Sweed.

BengalDestroyer
11-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Before the year started my bro and I asked each other how long until Sepulveda gets put on IR. I said he'd make it the whole year...he said six weeks...

It is a shame, a really good punter. Kapinos isn't bad either though....

55BaileyFan
11-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Its the way the game works...time to move on.

truesteelerfan
11-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Heck with it guys...As long as Kapinos is continuing to be a FA instead of being signed by another team, lets keep going with plan A Sep, and plan B- Kapinos....Daniel is more expensive yes, and better IMO- but if we were to do a plan like listed above, they would both have to be around a vet's minimum salary so they equal one full player.

ricardisimo
11-06-2011, 09:10 AM
What the fuk is this dude's deal? CUT HIM. Jesus christ.. how many chances can you ask for. Dude's worse than Limas Sweed.
It's not like the guy's doing this on purpose. I imagine he's torn up about it. You might also want to look at the rules governing cutting injured players before you lose any more hair over this. Not sure it's as simple as all that.