PDA

View Full Version : A push off Mike Irving would be proud of...

madtowndrunkard
11-07-2011, 12:28 AM
That's a push off.... Offensive pass interference. Yea the defense had their chances, but rules are rules. If the WR doesn't use the corner to get leverage, that's an incomplete pass.

That was about as bad as it gets for officiating. The quality of the NFL gets worse and worse every year. Nice leadership Roger. Instead of being a distraction by fining players every chance you get, how about improving the officiating and at least make the games look legit.

Pathetic.

#1LambertFan
11-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Which pushoff were you talking about? The one in the first half or the 5+ in the second?

Steel_Bus_24
11-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Im not going to dwell on it like some other teams fans but I'll put my

"Refs you Suck"

out their too and move on

tanda10506
11-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Officiating was garbage, enough so that I made a thread on it. Horrible and probably asked for by Goodell.

jjpro11
11-07-2011, 12:53 AM
it seemed like after the holding call that negated the TD to start the game, the refs felt bad and gave them the benefit of the doubt the rest of the way. seriously, their defense never once held or interfered with guys as fast as Wallace and Brown?

CargoJon
11-07-2011, 01:05 AM
I still can't get past the fact that Ward gets laid out on a helmet to helmet, but no flag. Of course Clark gets flagged later for one not nearly so egregious.

#1LambertFan
11-07-2011, 01:26 AM
I still can't get past the fact that Ward gets laid out on a helmet to helmet, but no flag. Of course Clark gets flagged later for one not nearly so egregious.

What bothered me the most about that play was he Ward obviously had possession of the ball after his bottom/ back hit the ground and they overturned the call. Yes that was a helmet to helmet hit but I can picture it being a no call but to call Clark for leading with his shoulder (see Welker 2008 hit), and hitting helmet to helmet was ridiculous.

I'm an old fashioned guy and believe hitting facemask to facemask with a solid wrap is the most honest way to tackle. I'm sorry we now have to cater to people that were never meant to play football.

Oh well. Last venting post, unless my complaining helps our case against Goodel (if only). On to the "Columbus Discovered" thread

jjpro11
11-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Oh well. Last venting post, unless my complaining helps our case against Goodel (if only). On to the "Columbus Discovered" thread

i'll happily take a sweep by the Ravens if it means getting Goodell fired for good. but as you imply, that's just wishful thinking.

OX1947
11-07-2011, 01:44 AM
These rules and bull shit are getting out of hand. The hate I have for Roger Goodell and this league grows weekly. The thing that sucks about it is I love the steelers and football so much that I cant quit. Its disheartening. I want a new commissioner damn it. I am sick of this ****ing guy and his garbage league.

bornaSteelersfan
11-07-2011, 02:12 AM
The Steelers played crappy most of the game. Offensive turnovers and not being able to get a first down near the end lost it. I am truly sickened by the non-call on that hit on Hines. He clearly caught the ball, got hit and knocked out, then Harbaugh has the nerve to throw a red flag and question the reception! They overturn the play while Ward is still using smelling salts. Did Harbough take some lessons from that punk Billiphuk (remember how he did the same thing last season when they blew us out? On the only reception Hines had that game-to keep his streak alive-getting hurt on the play and out?). We should have finished that last drive with a TD-maybe even gone for it on 4th down (hell, Cower would have). We shouldn't always rely on our defense to win the game for us, at some point, the offense has to step it up. With the weapons we have, why can't we get at least 30 points on the board?! I'm sick of it :yuck:

mizzouristeeler
11-07-2011, 02:15 AM
The Steelers played crappy most of the game. Offensive turnovers and not being able to get a first down near the end lost it. I am truly sickened by the non-call on that hit on Hines. He clearly caught the ball, got hit and knocked out, then Harbaugh has the nerve to throw a red flag and question the reception! They overturn the play while Ward is still using smelling salts. Did Harbough take some lessons from that punk Billiphuk (remember how he did the same thing last season when they blew us out? On the only reception Hines had that game-to keep his streak alive-getting hurt on the play and out?). We should have finished that last drive with a TD-maybe even gone for it on 4th down (hell, Cower would have). We shouldn't always rely on our defense to win the game for us, at some point, the offense has to step it up. With the weapons we have, why can't we get at least 30 points on the board?! I'm sick of it :yuck:

With the guys we have on d how come we couldn't stop the effin ravens offense.

bornaSteelersfan
11-07-2011, 02:24 AM
Do you think Woodley being out may have had something to do with it?! I am saying the offense needs to run up some points and not rely so heavily on the D to stop them. Punting the ball with over 2 minutes to go is weak.

mizzouristeeler
11-07-2011, 02:26 AM
Do yyou think we should've been able to stop them?

bornaSteelersfan
11-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Are you arguing for the sense of arguing?! Whatever

#1LambertFan
11-07-2011, 02:30 AM
These rules and bull shit are getting out of hand. The hate I have for Roger Goodell and this league grows weekly. The thing that sucks about it is I love the steelers and football so much that I cant quit. Its disheartening. I want a new commissioner damn it. I am sick of this ****ing guy and his garbage league.

What does it take to get a new commish? Few players care for him. Most quietly hate him, and I know plenty of coaches and owners don't like him. Why is this guy still here, and how'd he get elected/ appointed the job?

mizzouristeeler
11-07-2011, 02:32 AM
The offense could've scored more, I know. But I can't let the defense get a pass for giving up a td. Sorry if I seem like an ass but all they needed was one stop. The offense gets a lead the defense protects it.

Steel_Bus_24
11-07-2011, 02:35 AM
The offense could've scored more, I know. But I can't let the defense get a pass for giving up a td. Sorry if I seem like an ass but all they needed was one stop. The offense gets a lead the defense protects it.

its not like they had the ball at the 50 either

bornaSteelersfan
11-07-2011, 02:47 AM
OK, agreed, defense should have gotten a stop. I know if Woodley was in there, Flacco gets sacked and game over. I am just saying that the offense needs to put up some numbers and run out the clock a little more. Weakly called incomplete passes late in the game that stop the clock certainly don't help.

defence
11-07-2011, 08:38 AM
First post so i would like to say hi to everyone in steeler nation. Tough loss!! I could not fall asleep after that; but when you really go over this game it was a playoff game being officiated by amateurs!! Not making excuses but when you have two evenly matched teams and you look at the 15 yard penalty on clark. That's 3 points at the end of the half!! Difference in the game!! Then ike's was a complete joke; set up first and goal!! Last play of the game; the push off; but the flag went against us somehow!!! Realistically; this was the difference and i can say i believe the steelers will be there in the end. We were the better team last night and we are the better team!!

Opt2loc
11-07-2011, 08:44 AM
First post so i would like to say hi to everyone in steeler nation. Tough loss!! I could not fall asleep after that; but when you really go over this game it was a playoff game being officiated by amateurs!! Not making excuses but when you have two evenly matched teams and you look at the 15 yard penalty on clark. That's 3 points at the end of the half!! Difference in the game!! Then ike's was a complete joke; set up first and goal!! Last play of the game; the push off; but the flag went against us somehow!!! Realistically; this was the difference and i can say i believe the steelers will be there in the end. We were the better team last night and we are the better team!!

:chuckle:

Nevermore
11-07-2011, 08:44 AM

If the ref holds his whistle until the actual end of the play with Rice pushing into the endzone in the pile during the first half, that's a big difference too.

The "better team" drove 92 yards in 2:30 against the #2 defense in the league for the win. PI didn't lose the game. Giving up monster numbers on 3rd and 4th down all night did. Two 3rd downs and a 4th down on that last drive, and the D couldn't get off the field.

The refs were bad... but they didn't make the game.

SteelCityMom
11-07-2011, 08:50 AM
If the ref holds his whistle until the actual end of the play with Rice pushing into the endzone in the pile during the first half, that's a big difference too.

The "better team" drove 92 yards in 2:30 against the #2 defense in the league for the win. PI didn't lose the game. Giving up monster numbers on 3rd and 4th down all night did. Two 3rd downs and a 4th down on that last drive, and the D couldn't get off the field.

Agreed...I can't think of the game off hand (it was either the Pats or Cards), but the refs got whistle happy before Ben was actually down (he was about to pass or at least get rid of the ball). So I get that gripe.

I really thought he was stuffed at first two though. He was just covered in manwich at that point lol. Were it the Steelers...I'd certainly have been ticked about it.

1/28/01
11-07-2011, 09:06 AM
:chuckle:

Yes, I found that part quite humorous as well :D

1/28/01
11-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Agreed...I can't think of the game off hand (it was either the Pats or Cards), but the refs got whistle happy before Ben was actually down (he was about to pass or at least get rid of the ball). So I get that gripe.

I really thought he was stuffed at first two though. He was just covered in manwich at that point lol. Were it the Steelers...I'd certainly have been ticked about it.

Nice, unbiased post. There were missed calls on both sides last night! They'll meet again in January!

defence
11-07-2011, 09:23 AM

I completely agree with you regarding the defence. They could not get off the field at all. But i only responded to the thread title "pushoff". So i thought we would talk about how bad the refs were. In fairness to the d. They had a huge series in getting the offence back the ball to kill the game. We all know what happened ; they couldn't do it!! If you don't think those two mistaken penalties were not huge. I don't know what to say!! That's 10 points off of officiating!! And ray rice was stopped!! He had no forward progress so they blew the whistle!! No worries steeler fans; we will bounce back. Gonna be a long week though!!

CargoJon
11-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Some of the defensive woes could be attributed to the fact that every single time I see James Harrison on my TV screen during a play, he's being held in a headlock by an opposing offensive lineman.

Nevermore
11-07-2011, 09:46 AM
And ray rice was stopped!! He had no forward progress so they blew the whistle!!

You think Smith pushed off....

I think Rice was still moving....

Agree to disagree.....

madtowndrunkard
11-07-2011, 10:17 AM
What's ridiculous is the fact that we've all come to accept bad officiating like it's part of the game. We've all come to believe that the poor officiating has no effect on the out come of the game. Even when it clearly does, we say " that's no excuse" ....like the team who got jobbed should be good enough to beat bad officiating and the opponent.

I do understand mistakes by officials. The game is fast, and often the difference between a call and no call is fractions of a second...or half an inch. In a day of instant replay with video evidence from every angle, most mistakes should be corrected.

The excuse by the NFL seems to be it's just human error. The entire game has "evolved" for better or worse, but officiating has done nothing to improve. When they do make attempts at improving, it's usually with a twist. You get a challenge, if you are wrong - you get punished...and left exposed to event of another "bad" call with no recourse.

Often it appears an official has an agenda. Like a home plate umpire who doesn't like the actions of a pitcher....suddenly his strike zone gets smaller. Last night the officials had clearly focused in on the Steelers corners. How you can ignore the push off and throw the flag on the steelers.... as if the officials were making every effort to ensure a Raven victory. If the WR drops that ball, it's game over anyway...the officials made sure of it.

The NFL has clearly made guys like Harrison a target. Harrison is an example to all other players. He does get put in head locks and held on every series. Never is a call made. The officials clearly impacted the out come of that game and it was clearly in the Ravens favor. Is it an excuse? I'd call it one of a few big REASONS we lost.... you can call it what you want.

Pedro Cerrano
11-07-2011, 10:21 AM
On almost every deep passing play there is some sort of contact. I think the game would be positively awful to watch if PI was called every single time. Same goes for offensive holding. At some point the refs need to swallow their whistles and wait for the blatant infractions. Either that or re-write the rules.

madtowndrunkard
11-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Worth mentioning is the PI on Taylor as well. Contact like that exists on nearly every pass play. The PI on Taylor was BS.... it's a penalty that turns the tide of a game. The Ravens didn't execute the play, and it wasn't because Taylor was "cheating" But the officials gave them the play anyway. Why doesn't the NFL expect more from their officials?

The incomplete pass with Ward was horrible.... the non call for a head shot was even worse.... 2 mistakes in one play....and they used instant replay to screw it up.

The first play of the game.... holding. Watch the play again.... it was a ticky tack IMO, but from the officials view who called the penalty it looked like he took him down. That flag would have been thrown 99% of the time....especially when you watch the view of the ref. The forward progress issue, is no issue iMO. The whistle was blown - dead ball - period. If he fumbles the ball right after, instead of falling in the endzone - do Raven fans argue the blown whistle? Of course not.

The NFL cares only about injuries, $, and scoring......the spirit of competition is a thing of the past. Competition is the only reason the sport is popular. It's getting harder and harder to watch. I used to watch games all day. I know only make an effort to watch my team.

Nevermore
11-07-2011, 10:40 AM
The incomplete pass with Ward was horrible.... the non call for a head shot was even worse.... 2 mistakes in one play....and they used instant replay to screw it up.

The incomplete pass call on Ward was correct per the rule book. The reciever has to maintain control of the catch all the way to the ground. It is a stupid rule and needs to be changed because it did "look" like a catch from all common sense, but it wasn't per the rule book. The most blatent illustration of this rule was last year when a Lions (i think) reciever caught a pass, then was PALMING the ball as he put it on the ground and it popped out because of the ground and was ruled incomplete. Any person in the world would have said "that guy caught that ball" but the rule says otherwise. The helmet to helmet was missed. Plain and simple. Goodell will get some cash out of it, but that obviously doesn't make up for it.

If you are going to argue the "push off" (which I contend was only made big because Collinsworth couldn't shut up about it... Note ole #22 wasn't arguing too hard after the play) as the reason you lost, I can argue the "hold" and the early whistle would have been the reason we lost if it had turned out different. It hurts being on the losing side of bad calls or no calls. Just remember this the next time we play and a Ravens fan complains about the call. This whole board rails against us when we make these claims in games we lose to the Steelers and everyone says "shut up and play the game" Not the same when the shoe is on the other foot I guess......

SteelCityMom
11-07-2011, 10:58 AM
On almost every deep passing play there is some sort of contact. I think the game would be positively awful to watch if PI was called every single time. Same goes for offensive holding. At some point the refs need to swallow their whistles and wait for the blatant infractions. Either that or re-write the rules.

Best quote from Collinsworth last night was definitely when he said "I bet these guys wish they could play without the refs" (referring to both sides in general).

That's pretty much where I'm at too. :chuckle:

The game and rules have been tweaked to all high hell, and it's ruining, rather than enhancing, the sport itself.

kirklandrules
11-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Just remember this the next time we play and a Ravens fan complains about the call. This whole board rails against us when we make these claims in games we lose to the Steelers and everyone says "shut up and play the game" Not the same when the shoe is on the other foot I guess......

But you do realize you are on a STEELERS forum, right? I imagine if I posted something on a Ratbird forum this morning complaining about the penalties, I would be told to shut-the-hell-up.

saveus1011
11-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Nevermore, you're an idiot.

I haven't been able to post as much as I'd like here (life and work have been in the way,) but I really feel like the officials let the Ravens get away with one, big time. Yes, our third down defense sucked and William Gay was wearing a Joe Flacco jersey under his Steelers garb, but the Ward "incompletion" and Torrey Smith getting away with a push-off are the ones that stick out as game changing (so did Ben's INT that led to a TD.)

I don't know, I hate complaining about officials and I'm still scatterbrained. However, it was way too obvious the officials were pro-Baltimore.

Opt2loc
11-07-2011, 11:22 AM

I haven't been able to post as much as I'd like here (life and work have been in the way,) but I really feel like the officials let the Ravens get away with one, big time. Yes, our third down defense sucked and William Gay was wearing a Joe Flacco jersey under his Steelers garb, but the Ward "incompletion" and Torrey Smith getting away with a push-off are the ones that stick out as game changing (so did Ben's INT that led to a TD.)

I don't know, I hate complaining about officials and I'm still scatterbrained. However, it was way too obvious the officials were pro-Baltimore.

:crying01:

fivedawg
11-07-2011, 11:26 AM
William Gay cant play on my flag football team....he at best shuld be in on dime coverage..or special teams.....4 or 5 times last night he totally got beat...and that td...HE STOPPED RUNNING!!! push offs happen all the time....comes down to they had 92 yards of field to go, with a little over 2 min and WE COULDNT STOP EM!!

kirklandrules
11-07-2011, 11:47 AM
However, it was way too obvious the officials were pro-Baltimore.

The poor officiating does piss one off when your team loses. The Ratbird fans probably weren't too happy with the whistle stopping play just prior to Rice's 2nd efforts on the goalline and I'm sure they were bitching on the holding call on the first play from scrimmage. I think the officials shit the bed (at least I said a prayer last night that they each would shit their beds and roll in it), but our secondary lost the game.

saveus1011
11-07-2011, 11:49 AM
I hate whining about it because you have to overcome it (and yes, I agree the secondary was ass) but it just seemed like the refs were determined to not give us calls.

#1LambertFan
11-07-2011, 11:54 AM
You think Smith pushed off....

I think Rice was still moving....

Agree to disagree.....

Wow did you take a helmet to helmet hit last night? The defense reacted to hearing whistles which allowed Rice to get in the endzone after being stuffed. Watch the play twice and consider all aspects of the game at once. That is the difference between a head coach and a ball boy.

OldSchoolfootballfan
11-07-2011, 11:55 AM
But you do realize you are on a STEELERS forum, right? I imagine if I posted something on a Ratbird forum this morning complaining about the penalties, I would be told to shut-the-hell-up.

Actually they are saying there was terrible calls both ways.

Respect5
11-07-2011, 11:57 AM
That officiating was suspect all around. That holding call at the start could be called BS and that would have changed the entire tone of this game.

The Steelers are still the Steelers and they will meet again in the playoffs. But, I feel the Ravens rebuilt their offense, strictly to matchup and beat the Steelers. And it is working like a charm. Smith is going to be a huge thorn in the Steelers side because he gets open so much! His hands will only get better and he will get more open.

See you guys back in Baltimore. I can't wait. No other team I'd want to face more than the Steelers. They are both the class of the AFC and one will represent the AFC in the Superbowl.

Nevermore
11-07-2011, 12:00 PM

Your team had the ball with 5:30 left to go in the game and a 4 point lead. Your team called pass plays that gained no yards and stopped the clock, thus saving our timeouts. Your team then gave us the ball with 2:30 and 1 timeout to drive 92 yards to win the game. Your team then gave up 2 third down conversions and a 4th down conversion on that 13 play drive. Your defense got beat twice in which the Ravens recievers simply dropped the ball. Once by Smith in the endzone and once by Boldin on the 10. So don't act like the "push off" in double coverage which is just as questionable as the hold on the first play of the game and the early whistle at the goal line was the reason you lost. Your team lost because it was beat. Period. No one expected Flacco and the Ravens to pull that off, but they did and they won.

Great game. See you in January.