PDA

View Full Version : When have we lost like this?

madtowndrunkard
11-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Ben and the O-line did their job..and we still lost.

I'm trying to think of a game were Ben and the O-line weren't the root cause of us losing. In the last 20 years how many losses do we have after leading with 2 minutes left?

Instead the defense and the coaching chokes.... wow

JCPsteelers
11-07-2011, 12:38 AM
well we did lose in the last seconds last year vs the Ravens at home. flaaco to housch

casteeler
11-07-2011, 12:42 AM
The Steelers get better every week but the Secondary is still very weak, 4 turnovers in 9 weeks.... Not gonna cut it, especially against the Ratbirds

GMU Steeler
11-07-2011, 12:43 AM
I recall we had quite a few losses like this in 2009.

SteelCityMom
11-07-2011, 12:44 AM
Ben and the O-line did their job..and we still lost.

I'm trying to think of a game were Ben and the O-line weren't the root cause of us losing. In the last 20 years how many losses do we have after leading with 2 minutes left?

Instead the defense and the coaching chokes.... wow

Pick a game out of the 2009 season (KC is the first one that comes to mind for me).

JCPsteelers
11-07-2011, 12:44 AM
I recall we had quite a few losses like this in 2009.

Oakland, KC in OT

Secondary is weak and Troy P isn't making a lot of plays back there anymore.

Steel_Bus_24
11-07-2011, 12:47 AM
well we did lose in the last seconds last year vs the Ravens at home. flaaco to housch

yep, just substitute McCushion for Gay and Smith for Housh

except this time the Ravens went 92......man thats ffing pathetic, take a bow for that one Steelers

Thats on the verge of our 09 Offense vs Clevened suckage right there

I can only hope they don't let this cost them more games, we can't afford to just sulk around for another month

We need to get back to kicking ass right away

jjpro11
11-07-2011, 12:48 AM
i never would have thought our oline would play so well and we still would lose.. i think that was the best game the oline has played against the Ravens since the days of Hartings, Faneca, and company.

tanda10506
11-07-2011, 12:50 AM
I don't think the secondary is weak, it just stopped Brady and has been number 1 for a few weeks now. The play calling on defense was horrible and it relied on getting pressure on Flacco which we did not do. The secondary is "good enough" and we've one games, even against passing teams like NE, but when we get zero pressure, Polamalu makes zero plays, and the same horrible defensive coverage's are called, they aren't good enough to still get it done.

ETL
11-07-2011, 12:51 AM
i never would have thought our oline would play so well and we still would lose.. i think that was the best game the oline has played against the Ravens since the days of Hartings, Faneca, and company.

And after 4 games - people were thinking the sky was falling because of the OLine woes.

guys, its a long season. We have a veteran team that knows how to win - let's keep our faith in them a little longer. Its not blind faith (like a bengals fan would be) but faith in their experience and track record.

Sean95m
11-07-2011, 12:52 AM
If David Johnson ctaches that screen pass that hit him on the numbers, there is your extra 8 seocnds and possibly first down the next play.

tanda10506
11-07-2011, 12:53 AM

Against Baltimore, I would have to agree. That was pretty decent and the offense as a whole wasn't to bad. We payed again for the ABSOLUTE ignorance of the screen pass, which was called by Ben. I don't care who calls it, it is absolute garbage, if we are lucky, the best case scenario is a few yards, the worst is a pick six. Wow, when you brake it down like that why don't we throw a few more :wave:. We have lost like this plenty of times though, this is not a repeat of the 09 season cause the team is playing better then that even with all the injuries, but sadly I think the results will be the same. The record will be better, but the chances of making the playoffs is average at best.

Kanata-Steeler
11-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Let's see, how about the last time we played the ravens. I think that time Ben and our Offense combined for a total of 6, or was it 7 INTERCEPTIONS against us?
gonna blame our Defense for that one too ?.
LoL..

GMU Steeler
11-07-2011, 12:54 AM
If David Johnson ctaches that screen pass that hit him on the numbers, there is your extra 8 seocnds and possibly first down the next play.

Yeah there's that play. If Ben doesn't throw the interception to Suggs in the third quarter. Lot of frustrating what ifs in this one. I think that's why it hurts more to lose a game like this than the Week one debacle because at least then you can tell yourself that the team was simply outplayed but in this, we had a chance to win and couldn't do it. Hopefully they'll be back and better than ever against Cincy next Sunday.

Wallace108
11-07-2011, 12:57 AM
The defense shouldn't have even been put in the position to lose the game. This is the third time this season that the piss poor play calling gave the other team a chance to win the game. The defense bailed us out the other two times. It wasn't able to tonight.

SteelCityMom
11-07-2011, 01:05 AM
Let's see, how about the last time we played the ravens. I think that time Ben and our Offense combined for a total of 6, or was it 7 INTERCEPTIONS against us?
gonna blame our Defense for that one too ?.
LoL..

Try to keep up...we're talking about this game, not week 1.

THE D SHIT THE BED. End of story. It's not the first time it's ever happened either. They are capable of having bad games as well.

SteelCityMom
11-07-2011, 01:10 AM
The defense shouldn't have even been put in the position to lose the game. This is the third time this season that the piss poor play calling gave the other team a chance to win the game. The defense bailed us out the other two times. It wasn't able to tonight.

The entire game, they were mostly incapable of both stopping the Ravens on third down, and they are still unable to consistently get the pressure they need...not to mention turnovers. (They had a blurb during the game that the Steelers TO production throughout the first 8 games is the lowest in NFL history...that's pretty bad.)

The Ravens D is nothing to sneeze at...but nearly the whole game, I felt like ours was. I love them, but they didn't perform up to standard tonight, and I felt like the margin could have been much higher.

Were all the offensive drives done to perfection? No...but they got the lead when they needed to. All the D needed to do was make ONE stop on a 92 yard drive, and they couldn't do it.

mizzouristeeler
11-07-2011, 01:17 AM
A few years ago I would've banked a win if they had 50 yds to go for a win. Now a 90 yd drive is nerve racking

bornaSteelersfan
11-07-2011, 02:41 AM
There should not have even been a chance for them to have a drive. Our 3rd down play was a weak screen pass with a bad throw that even if it had been thrown well, we don't get the first. Then a punt with over 2 minutes left. Cower would have gone for it on fourth and maybe called a bootleg. Offense could not put up the numbers they should and again we have to rely on the defense. This is a pattern with every game we lose that we should have won.

OX1947
11-07-2011, 02:55 AM
Prevent defense cost the Steelers the game. Like it has for several other teams in the past.

Sixburgher
11-07-2011, 03:01 AM
When have we lost like this? Do a quick rewind to 2009. A number of games were lost in almost identical fashion.

plenewken
11-07-2011, 06:32 AM
They beat us fair and square, period. Our defense couldn't stop them (see the embarrassing % of 3rd downs conversions), our offense didn't make the plays (Ben's INT, Johnson's dropped pass), and our ST screwed up (delay of game penalty costing us a possible FG).
Not the first time it happened. Based on what I've seen this season, 6-3 at this point is normal,
Several weeks ago, I said 11-5 at the end, it looks like a very realistic possibility.

btaylor179
11-07-2011, 08:02 AM
piss poor wr screen......i wish we drop that dam play from our playbook.....its the worst!!!!!!

BritishSteel
11-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Other posters have called it - the OT loss to KC in 2009 was almost identical to this one.

You win as a team and you lose as a team, however when we've done the Ravens in the past we've done it by getting into Flacco's head. I was genuinely expecting to see us giving him all kinds of defensive looks on that last drive, but we failed to bring pressure and Flacco was allowed to play his own game. I was genuinely astonished by how conservative our play calling was on D in that last Ravens Drive. It's like the coaching staff collectively lost it's nerve. Jacksonville kept the Ravens to a laughable amount of offensive yards two weeks ago with creative D play-calling and by bringing huge heat on Flacco - it was all there on tape, but we didn't, or couldn't do the same.

FanSince72
11-07-2011, 09:04 AM
I know there's a lot to say about the officials, or the secondary, or the fact that Woodley was out, but for me the turning point came when Johnson dropped that easy pass.

If he caught that ball we'd have easily gained 6-8 yds. and we'd have been able to not only run the clock, but probably have an easy shot at a field goal.
But that drop set us up to have to try to force yardage and two plays later we're looking at a 50-yarder to extend the lead.

I DO however take issue with not at least allowing Suisham to give it a shot and instead settling for the delay penalty to give more room to the punter. In hindsight, would it have made that much difference if we tried the FG? If we missed, Baltimore might have scored anyway but they also might have done so more quickly which might have given us an opportunity to force OT. I thought that decision was poor.

On the other hand, we had them on their own 7 and let them march up the field and to me that' was even worse. Hell, if we can't close out a game when we have a team facing 1st and 93, then we deserved to lose.

That said, Baltimore played a great game and they won fair and square, so props to them and we'll see what happens in January.

CargoJon
11-07-2011, 09:57 AM
IIRC the Bears loss in 2009 was similar as well to those games already mentioned.

I just kept waiting for the big play on the final drive. The INT, the sack, the sack/fumble, etc. It just never came.

I hadn't even thought of that Johnson drop on that pass, but that's another one that will now stick in my crawl.

Plus the stupid penalty that prevented us from kicking a FG prior to the Ravens last drive.

ZoneBlitzer
11-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Actually Ben and the Oline didn't do their job. They blew it with a non-4 minute drive late in the game. They squandered prime field position and failed to put the game out of reach.

SteelCityMom
11-07-2011, 10:05 AM
IIRC the Bears loss in 2009 was similar as well to those games already mentioned.

I just kept waiting for the big play on the final drive. The INT, the sack, the sack/fumble, etc. It just never came.

I hadn't even thought of that Johnson drop on that pass, but that's another one that will now stick in my crawl.

Plus the stupid penalty that prevented us from kicking a FG prior to the Ravens last drive.

I guess Starks was talking about that penalty, and he said the refs never reset the clock and that's why the false start came so quick. Whether that's 100% true or not, I don't know...but I do remember thinking it came awfully damn quick.

SteelCityMom
11-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Actually Ben and the Oline didn't do their job. They blew it with a non-4 minute drive late in the game. They squandered prime field position and failed to put the game out of reach.

While this is true, you can't pin the blame solely on them. They already had the lead, and the defense just had to stop that last drive. It was such a non-typical game for them...you'd have thought we played the Ravens offense last week, and the Patriots offense this week. One 3 and out the entire game. Last drives for both the Steelers offense and defense were pretty pitiful.

CargoJon
11-07-2011, 10:14 AM
I guess Starks was talking about that penalty, and he said the refs never reset the clock and that's why the false start came so quick. Whether that's 100% true or not, I don't know...but I do remember thinking it came awfully damn quick.

I remember Michaels and Collinsworth stating when the whistle blew that there was a problem with the play clock. Neither of them thought a penalty was being called.

ZoneBlitzer
11-07-2011, 10:38 AM
While this is true, you can't pin the blame solely on them. They already had the lead, and the defense just had to stop that last drive. It was such a non-typical game for them...you'd have thought we played the Ravens offense last week, and the Patriots offense this week. One 3 and out the entire game. Last drives for both the Steelers offense and defense were pretty pitiful.

Yes they were pitiful. While everyone was raving about Ben and the job the offense did against the Pats, I was actually quite concerned and not satisfied at all. Despite all the domination of the clock and territorial advantage, the Pats still had a shot at winning that game. That, to me, is not acceptable. You have to be able to bury teams and put them away. I like the look of this offense and I think they are under performing at the moment. I believe they have greater potential to put up points and put teams away. Lets hope that they realize that and work towards producing more touchdowns per game.

FanSince72
11-07-2011, 10:43 AM
You know, we could probably go through the entire game and find a whole box full of things like bad or questionable calls, or dropped balls, poorly defended passes, etc.

But the bottom line is that we put ourselves in a position to have any one of those things affect the outcome and that's on us. If we took care of business, we wouldn't have been in a position to have any of that stuff matter.

The funny thing is this whole "see-saw" thing.

Not too long ago we had only a few Offensive impact players and a shaky O-line but we had a deep and talented Defense. But now that we have a whole bunch of Offensive weapons and a relatively stable O-line, it's the Defense that's down to just a few impact players.

Weird.

FanSince72
11-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Yes they were pitiful. While everyone was raving about Ben and the job the offense did against the Pats, I was actually quite concerned and not satisfied at all. Despite all the domination of the clock and territorial advantage, the Pats still had a shot at winning that game. That, to me, is not acceptable. You have to be able to bury teams and put them away. I like the look of this offense and I think they are under performing at the moment. I believe they have greater potential to put up points and put teams away. Lets hope that they realize that and work towards producing more touchdowns per game.

What he said! :applaudit:

That's exactly what I've been thinking.
We need to learn how to stick the knife in and then lean on it.

For too long, we've scored "just enough" and almost every big game turns into a nail-biter when it doesn't have to be that way.

Opt2loc
11-07-2011, 10:51 AM
I think one of the main reasons the Ravens took this one:

3rd down conv 14/21
4th down conv 1/1

stb_steeler
11-07-2011, 11:11 AM

What ever happened to run game to run out the clock. If Ben got the first down on that last play, we'd be talkin bout a diff. ending!

FanSince72
11-07-2011, 11:15 AM
I think one of the main reasons the Ravens took this one:

3rd down conv 14/21
4th down conv 1/1

THAT was especially annoying.

They call two runs and it's 3rd and 4 and it seemed like it was like that all game long. By the second half I could have made a fortune betting on Baltimore to convert. Hell, even when we occasionally had them in 3rd and 10 or more I was worried.

Obviously Woodley's absence made a difference but that just points out the bigger problem of not having enough interchangeable parts on Defense.
The way it is now is if Troy, Harrison and Woodley are all healthy, we're OK.
But if you take any one of them out of the game, the whole Defense seems to become incredibly average.
We need more than just 3 impact players and what's more, we need to be able to play even if one or more of them are out - we need defensive schemes that don't always rely on those three guys being on the field.

StainlessStill
11-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Try to keep up...we're talking about this game, not week 1.

THE D SHIT THE BED. End of story. It's not the first time it's ever happened either. They are capable of having bad games as well.

SC, I think you're BY FAR my favorite poster. Every one of your posts makes sense at every turn. I agree. IMHO, sitting 6-3 isn't do or die. In fact, I actually loved the way the entire TEAM played last night minus that last drive. We have a good team still getting better and Baltimore round III is inevitable REGARDLESS of a win or loss last night. At Baltimore, in Pittsburgh, whatever, doesn't matter to me. We'll see those guys again. No doubt in MY mind we rebound.

therocksteeler
11-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Coaching
Time on offense
Capitalizing on turnovers
Making the plays

this is what won the game

therocksteeler
11-07-2011, 12:40 PM
SC, I think you're BY FAR my favorite poster. Every one of your posts makes sense at every turn. I agree. IMHO, sitting 6-3 isn't do or die. In fact, I actually loved the way the entire TEAM played last night minus that last drive. We have a good team still getting better and Baltimore round III is inevitable REGARDLESS of a win or loss last night. At Baltimore, in Pittsburgh, whatever, doesn't matter to me. We'll see those guys again. No doubt in MY mind we rebound.

:iagree: