PDA

View Full Version : Defenseless reciever

fujirama24
11-07-2011, 12:51 AM
How did the refs call the defenseless receiver against R. Clark when the receicever had the ball in his hands. That call was straight crap. If I was in the stands the refs wouldn't have left the stadium walking. That was straight crap. What did u think.

GMU Steeler
11-07-2011, 12:52 AM
I was more pissed that they didn't call the one on Hines and then they called that. But yeah.

mizzouristeeler
11-07-2011, 12:53 AM
No uuse complaining now. Some of the calls were shit, but I don't want to start sounding like the ravens. Defense lost this game.

jjpro11
11-07-2011, 12:55 AM
the defense certainly did blow the game at the end.. but you can't help but be pissed off at how these calls, or inconsistent calls for that mater, are destroying the game. every time there is a big hit you have to wait 5 seconds to celebrate because they throw the flag so randomly.

GMU Steeler
11-07-2011, 12:56 AM
the defense certainly did blow the game at the end.. but you can't help but be pissed off at how these calls, or inconsistent calls for that mater, are destroying the game. every time there is a big hit you have to wait 5 seconds to celebrate because they throw the flag so randomly.

Yeah you think there's a stop and then the yellow flag comes out at the last second. Agh frigging Goodell and his pussifcation of this sport.

tony hipchest
11-07-2011, 12:59 AM
ryan clark couldnt be suspended untill he got atleast one more personal foul. he got that tonight.

the refs(goodell) arent looking to add strikes to ray lewis, hence no penalty. clark has been a marked man all season.

mizzouristeeler
11-07-2011, 12:59 AM
This year has seen some of the latest flags I have ever seen. They throw PI flags 20 secs after the play.

CargoJon
11-07-2011, 01:04 AM
Between the helmet to helmet non-call on Ward, and the countless times our LBers were held and thrown to the ground, I've figured out that the NFL is just getting hard to watch these days. the officiating is so bad.

Bayz101
11-07-2011, 01:04 AM
I find it ignorant that we have to rely on our defense to save our asses in pressure situations. If our offense would've came away with a first down, or at least without that delay of game, we would have been fine.

The calls we're shit, but it's no excuse. I don't know how many time's I saw Ike hugging and holding hands with the Ratbird's receivers and I don't care to look into it. Bottom line is, our OFFENSE need's to step up. The Defense held B'more to field goals the entire first half and at some point the offense need's to step up.

We WILL meet B'More again. And if things go are way for a change, we'll have Woodley and Harrison on defense.

On a side note: Great play today from J Cotch and Antonio "Downtown" Brown. Our catching squad is looking elite. On the defensive side of the ball, lots of credit to Harrison. Great return from the big guy!

steelerjim58
11-07-2011, 01:47 AM

No matter how well the d plays over the course of the game, all it takes is for them to give up a score at the wrong time to make all they did well to become insignificant. Granted, giving up a 90+ yard drive for a game winning td is the last thing we will think about. But the last possession for the offense was pretty putrid itself.

PhantomJB93
11-07-2011, 02:08 AM
Clark went helmet to helmet on that play so the penalty should have come anyway but I was a little pissed off when they called it defenseless receiver, that in no way should have been the call. Should have been the same outcome, but not that call. He was NOT defenseless, he had the ball in his effing hands.

jjpro11
11-07-2011, 02:34 AM
Clark went helmet to helmet on that play so the penalty should have come anyway but I was a little pissed off when they called it defenseless receiver, that in no way should have been the call. Should have been the same outcome, but not that call. He was NOT defenseless, he had the ball in his effing hands.

give me a ****ing break.. Lewis hit Ward with a blindside helmet-to-helmet hit from the side/rear.. Clark and the receiver were face-to-face when he hit him, trying to dislodge the ball. it's an absolute joke they'd call a penalty on the hit by Clark, but not on the hit by Lewis. Lewis wasn't even making a play on the ball. it's disgusting that in today's game, you pretty much have to let the receiver come down with the ball rather than going high and attempting to knock the ball out... because if you go high for the ball, you're almost always going to make contact with the helmet and draw a flag.

mizzouristeeler
11-07-2011, 02:38 AM
[QUOTE=jjpro11;960538 because if you go high for the ball, you're almost always going to make contact with the helmet and draw a flag.[/QUOTE]

Unless you're lewis

Nevermore
11-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Unless you're lewis

It was a missed call... Agreed. But it didn't lose the game. Throwing incomplete passes when you are trying to kill the clock with the lead and not stopping a two minute 92 yard drive lost the game for you....

For a fan base that throws stones for years at Ravens fans about complaining about officiating, there is hardly a thread without a complaint on this forum right now.

This was a great game that came down to the best team winning. I'm sure we'll see you guys again, but hopefully in Bmore this time.

Rick5895
11-07-2011, 07:07 AM
It was a missed call... Agreed. But it didn't lose the game. Throwing incomplete passes when you are trying to kill the clock with the lead and not stopping a two minute 92 yard drive lost the game for you....

For a fan base that throws stones for years at Ravens fans about complaining about officiating, there is hardly a thread without a complaint on this forum right now.

This was a great game that came down to the best team winning. I'm sure we'll see you guys again, but hopefully in Bmore this time.

I agree we should have stopped the 92 yard drive, however, the non call was huge, it would have resulted in 1st and goal and who knows what happens from there. And I agree it wasn't the difference in the game.
It was a great game, but what concerns me going forward is the state of officiating in the NFL. It is awful across the board and these missed calls may rear thier head in the playoffs or Super bowl and may cost a team the game then, no matter if its Steelers, ravens or anyone else.

Nevermore
11-07-2011, 07:15 AM
I agree. It was wildly inconsistent all game. I thought the defenseless receiver call we got was a pretty clean looking hit to me. I think the whistle on rices TD in the first half was pretty early as well. It is what it is. See y'all in January.

Stu Pidasso
11-07-2011, 07:20 AM

That's because there's a reason for it this time. I could see bitching about non-holding or false start calls, but blatant offensive pass interference on the TD catch? Helmet2helmet on one team but not the other? These are game changing calls, and worthy of criticism of the refs.

GMU Steeler
11-07-2011, 07:21 AM

Yeah bottom line is we should have stopped you guys on the 92 yard drive so I don't blame the refs for the loss. Not happy with their calls but they're not why the Steelers lost last night. What kills me is I knew how crucial that pick by Suggs in the third quarter was going to be because these games always come down to the wire. It was a team loss and an equal team win byour guys. Hope we get another crack at them because I think we'll win that. This one hurts to me more than a game like week 1 because they were in it till the end.

SteelCityMom
11-07-2011, 07:49 AM

This is out of left field. No one is saying that this call cost them the game...by any means. It was just bullshit, that's all.

After all the fines and penalties that Harrison and Co. had do deal with last year, and all the blah blah blah-ing from Goodell about player safety, you'd think something as blatant as Lewis' hit would have elicited a penalty. That's all. Consistency.

Nearly every person here (you'll always have the handful of random fans saying this or that penalty cost the game...in any fanbase) knows it was a collective team loss though.

That non-call was bullshit though, and it's not about whether it would have been a game changer had it been called...it's about the principal of it all. Our defense got called cheap and dirty by so many other teams fans last year because of calls exactly like the one that should have been called against Lewis. So, I think we have every right to complain about it from that standpoint.

TRH
11-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Well, the fact is, they don't call it on Lewis....but they call it on Clark. And yes, it could have affected the game outcome. We just don't know.
Wrong call.
Will Lewis being fined for "helmet-to-helmet"? There were 2 instances last year, all show clearly on instant replay over and over, where Hines was hit helmet-to-helmet. No fine.
Its a double standard and inconsistent. I'm not whining but when OUR players get fined for the exact same thing, somethings wrong. Terribly wrong.

mizzouristeeler
11-07-2011, 08:07 AM
The calls or lack thereof didn't matter when we should've stopped them, but lewis' hit looked even more blatant and no call. They need to fine refs for bad calls.

Nevermore
11-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Well, the fact is, they don't call it on Lewis....but they call it on Clark. And yes, it could have affected the game outcome. We just don't know.
Wrong call.
Will Lewis being fined for "helmet-to-helmet"? There were 2 instances last year, all show clearly on instant replay over and over, where Hines was hit helmet-to-helmet. No fine.
Its a double standard and inconsistent. I'm not whining but when OUR players get fined for the exact same thing, somethings wrong. Terribly wrong.

If Ray doesn't get fined, I'll be amazed. It was clearly helmet to helmet and he should have been penalized. But the refs in the game missed it. Period. Just like they blew the whistle with Ray Rice still pushing over the goal line.

It was a missed call, and a bad one. As for Clark, by the letter of the law I guess you call it because he hit the dude in the face with his helmet, but from my perspective that was a textbook football play. Player caught it, Clark hit him in the chest and knocked the ball loose. I'll take the 15 yards, but I think that was a legit football play.

IMO Ray should pay a fine and Clark should not. But as for the field, the call was missed. Plain and simple.

SteelCityMom
11-07-2011, 08:40 AM
This article has stills and analysis of both hits. I know Clarks was against the rule too, and I understand the penalty...but I feel his was less intentional as he was obviously attempting to jar the ball loose.

I feel like the NFL has lost it's grip on how it wants to handle player safety though.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/11/ryan-clark-ray-lewis-hits-in-steelers-ravens-game-will-be-talked-about-all-week/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

Nevermore
11-07-2011, 08:46 AM
I'd say clark made contact with his helmet, but did not lead or tackle with it. The hit looked perfect to me based on how I thought football was supposed to be played.

I don't know how to balance safety and football, but this is a mess right now....

CargoJon
11-07-2011, 09:45 AM
It almost seems like on any unsuccessful offensive play in the NFL these days, the officials look for somewhere to throw a flag. Unless you're Hines Ward of course.

As far as bitching about the refs and being like a Ravens fan - I was bitching about them when we were winning, too. I was bitching about the god-awful officiating in my wife's team's game (Saints) which they one. It was horrible. The league is getting tougher and tougher to watch.

Opt2loc
11-07-2011, 09:52 AM
It almost seems like on any unsuccessful offensive play in the NFL these days, the officials look for somewhere to throw a flag. Unless you're Hines Ward of course.

As far as bitching about the refs and being like a Ravens fan - I was bitching about them when we were winning, too. I was bitching about the god-awful officiating in my wife's team's game (Saints) which they one. It was horrible. The league is getting tougher and tougher to watch.

Like a Ravens fans?
I've been going through all of these threads and all I see is bitching about the refs.
You guys aren't acting any better or worse than any Ravens fan would have. I guess because you bitch about calls on other games or when you win makes your bitching okay.:thumbsup:

CargoJon
11-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Like a Ravens fans?
I've been going through all of these threads and all I see is bitching about the refs.
You guys aren't acting any better or worse than any Ravens fan would have. I guess because you bitch about calls on other games or when you win makes it okay.:thumbsup:

Ravens fans = blame loss on refs

Steelers fans = bitching about refs while winning, or after a win when the officiating was horrible. Blaming our players for the loss.

If you can't see the difference, then :monkey:

Opt2loc
11-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Ravens fans = blame loss on refs

Steelers fans = bitching about refs while winning, or after a win when the officiating was horrible. Blaming our players for the loss.

If you can't see the difference, then :monkey:

That is just your ridiculous opinion.

I have never blamed the refs for a loss. I bitch about the refs every game when they make mistakes, even when the Ravens win. Don't post about what you don't know about. :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
11-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Like a Ravens fans?
You guys aren't acting any better or worse than any Ravens fan would have. I guess because you bitch about calls on other games or when you win makes your bitching okay.:thumbsup:

I don't want to get into a pissing match about who bitches about refs more after a loss...but it's a little bit telling when there are a couple of threads at the Ravens official message board bitching about whether or not the refs will favor the Steelers like always BEFORE the game.

Every teams fans should be bitching about the refs (win or lose) in general though. They keep getting worse and worse every year. I certainly don't blame them for the loss...the Steelers have managed to win worse officiated games than that. They had a chance to put the game away on both offense and defense, and didn't. Simple as that. Kudos to the Ravens for getting it done this time.

CargoJon
11-07-2011, 10:15 AM
I don't want to get into a pissing match about who bitches about refs more after a loss...but it's a little bit telling when there are a couple of threads at the Ravens official message board bitching about whether or not the refs will favor the Steelers like always BEFORE the game.

Every teams fans should be bitching about the refs (win or lose) in general though. They keep getting worse and worse every year. I certainly don't blame them for the loss...the Steelers have managed to win worse officiated games than that. They had a chance to put the game away on both offense and defense, and didn't. Simple as that. Kudos to the Ravens for getting it done this time.

:applaudit: x 10000000

Opt2loc
11-07-2011, 10:22 AM

100% agree

Some Raven fans do think the refs favor the Steelers. By reading some of these post, some Steeler fans feel the same way about the refs favoring the Ravens. Bottom line is, get far enough ahead so the refs can't make a difference.

SoCalFan
11-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Bottom line is its CLEAR Clark led with his shoulder and accidentaly collided heads,and thats the grey area of the rule,which to me should not bring a fine!These guys are playing at full speed and if replay shows the tackler on the other hand leading with a shoulder,that really should nullify a fine! R. Lewis on the other hand was blantant in his attempt to destroy Ward! Oh yea,remember when Harrison was targeted last year as a dirty player,the league sent video to all teams on how to "properly" hit and tackle! Starring,you guessed it, R. Lewis! Thats why he wont get a fine,and if they both do,Clarks will be greater!

RichardCullinanForever
11-07-2011, 10:37 AM
And everyone has yet to mention that the Hines play was reviewed. It was called a catch on the field, the official went under the booth and had to watch the helmet-to-helmet no call 6 times in a row, and STILL had the balls to call it an incomplete pass. What a moron. If I'm basing my opinion on accordance to the NFL rules, I just don't think there was CONCLUSIVE evidence that showed that Ward didn't have control of the ball. Likewise, if it was called incomplete on the field, once again, I think the right call would be to rule it incomplete because it was too difficult to determine. These officials don't even know the rules of the NFL. And the other challenge, don't even get me started on that. These officials were morons, and the fact doesn't change whether we win or lose... I still think he had control of the ball, got hit, maintained control, fell to the ground while still maintaining control, and let if fall our a second or two after he made contact with the field.

Nevermore
11-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Player has to control the ball all the way to the ground in the act of a catch. The determined he was going to the ground in the process of the catch and since the ball ended up on the turf and not in his hands at the end of the hit, he didn't catch it. That is the rule...

Whether it is a stupid way to interpret a catch is up for debate, but it is the way it is currently written and was enforced correctly.

Helmet to helmet is not reviewable. And to change the "correct call" because you missed a penalty is not really the way to go...

The hit was worth 15 yards and a fine. You didnt' get the 15. Hopefully the league will maintain some consistency and levy the fine.

StainlessStill
11-07-2011, 11:35 AM
ryan clark couldnt be suspended untill he got atleast one more personal foul. he got that tonight.

the refs(goodell) arent looking to add strikes to ray lewis, hence no penalty. clark has been a marked man all season.

Say what you want about Ryan Clark but the dude ****ing BRINGS IT! Old-school football! The way football was meant to be played! Clark brings the damn boom and there's no doubt he's marked. Always will be. Ray Lewis on the other hand? Helmet to helmet on Hines but that's okay, I can understand somebody not wanting to get murdered. Hines got a helmet to helmet that knocked him out of last years N.E game, no call. Didn't Heath get his neck completely bent in half last year with no-call? Can't remember if they threw the flag on that or not. Coincidence? I think not. It's BS if you ask me but hey, we're fine. On to Cincy.

mizzouristeeler
11-07-2011, 11:39 AM
They didn't throw a flag on the hit on heath

stb_steeler
11-07-2011, 04:35 PM
100% agree

Some Raven fans do think the refs favor the Steelers. By reading some of these post, some Steeler fans feel the same way about the refs favoring the Ravens. Bottom line is, get far enough ahead so the refs can't make a difference.

BINGO!.......I was thinking the same thing, get ahead far enough then dont let the refs determine the outcome of the game. But you know theres still gonna be that one straggler thats gonna still be blaming the loss's on the refs. After all the Steeler fans are still engaging in Seadawg fans who still believe that to this day.

SteelCityMom
11-07-2011, 04:38 PM
BINGO!.......I was thinking the same thing, get ahead far enough then dont let the refs determine the outcome of the game. But you know theres still gonna be that one straggler thats gonna still be blaming the loss's on the refs. After all the Steeler fans are still engaging in Seadawg fans who still believe that to this day.

The only, ONLY time I ever nearly blamed the refs was after a game the Steelers won (Steelers/Chargers game of '08). That was one of those nutty games where it was nearly impossible to get ahead because of all the calls on the field. Typically calls go both ways though, so it kind of negates that.

jjpro11
11-07-2011, 06:45 PM
The only, ONLY time I ever nearly blamed the refs was after a game the Steelers won (Steelers/Chargers game of '08). That was one of those nutty games where it was nearly impossible to get ahead because of all the calls on the field. Typically calls go both ways though, so it kind of negates that.

the Jacksonville game from 2004 was probably even worse.. we were penalized 11 times to their 3. the phantom illegal contact calls were atrocious.

i hate when fans of other teams say Steelers get all the calls and that we have no right to ever complain about officiating.. all because of SB XL.. 2002 Joe Nedney's act job in the divisional round... 2005 Polamalu's INT in the divisional round.. 2007 missed holding call on Harrison in the Wild Card round. that's three outright incorrect, game changing calls in one decade during the postseason... two of which ended up costing us the season.