PDA

View Full Version : Should have tried FG

Dave C
11-07-2011, 02:26 PM
The fact that the Steelers D could not get off the field on 3rd down all game was enough reason to try to kick that FG and go up by 7. Tomlin blew it! I know Suisham hasn't had a great year, but you gotta try it. I've been a Steeler fan for 40 years, and have not been overly impressed with Tomlin as a head coach. His post game interviews and his generic quotes are as annoying as you get.

The Steelers lost, but you still have to consider they were playing very short-handed at wide receiver and linebacker. We get everybody healthy, and that game could be a lot different.

OX1947
11-07-2011, 02:38 PM
92 yards for our D, Id take that every day. Last night was one that didnt work out. No ones fault but the defense that couldnt stop it. No excuse.

Steelers have 7 games left. I do not see how they cant finish at least 6-1 and and have a 12-4 record. Ravens have a habit of sucking still this year. Steelers still have a chance to win the division. I am not too worried.

DoctorCAD
11-07-2011, 02:48 PM
They should have run towards the middle of the field 3 times to set up a shorter and better angled field goal try, and to take as much time off the clock as possible.

To do what they did is inexcusable. Offensive coaches must be made to pay for that one.

Even Pee-Wee football players know this.

92 yards, when you haven't been able to stop a pack of Cub Scouts on 3rd down is not the right option.

Face it, coaching lost (no, better to say gave up) that one by shear stupidity.

To get caught with a delay of game penalty in that situation is totally the coaches fault. How can they not be watching the clock.

tanda10506
11-07-2011, 02:50 PM
92 yards for our D, Id take that every day. Last night was one that didnt work out. No ones fault but the defense that couldnt stop it. No excuse.

Steelers have 7 games left. I do not see how they cant finish at least 6-1 and and have a 12-4 record. Ravens have a habit of sucking still this year. Steelers still have a chance to win the division. I am not too worried.

Suisham making a 50+ yard FG at Heinz Field is probably something we will never see, he isn't a good kicker. We would have been better off going for it on 4th then kicking the field goal. Being the way punts usually roll back for TD's I would have went for it on 4th down. Special teams played the punt well though, if we can't stop Flacco from going 92 yards with one time out then we don't deserve to win, especially since we didn't stop him at all on 3rd downs.

If we go 6-1 that means they have to lose 3 games for us to win the division, and that's not even including the Bengals in the conversation. The odds of winning the division are extremely slim.

NoFieldFive
11-07-2011, 03:21 PM
the delay was not intentional to put the kicker back another 5 yards? the punt was the right choice from that distance. the better choice would have been getting another 4-5 yards to set up a reasonable field goal and to have kept the clock moving

tony hipchest
11-07-2011, 03:31 PM
the delay was either intentional or a horrible inexcusable mistake.

SteelCityMom
11-07-2011, 03:42 PM
the delay was either intentional or a horrible inexcusable mistake.

I still can't find anything to confirm this (though I haven't looked hard in a little while)...but I've heard Starks say that the refs didn't reset the clock and that that is why the penalty happened so quick.

It was just a horrible mess either way though.

SH-Rock
11-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Well if you look at it. They pinned the Ravens deep and I would rather take that than the field goal, but since defense couldn't stop anyone, the Ravens won.

tony hipchest
11-07-2011, 04:01 PM
I still can't find anything to confirm this (though I haven't looked hard in a little while)...but I've heard Starks say that the refs didn't reset the clock and that that is why the penalty happened so quick.

It was just a horrible mess either way though.the freaking refs... that explains alot. i hate to give hakesheros wacky conspiracy theories any sort of merit, but yesterday when i read that 79% of the betting public were still taking the steelers -3, i made conscious effort to see if there were any strange inconsistancies in the officiating. makes you wonder.

FanSince72
11-07-2011, 04:23 PM
I thought Tomlin let the clock run out to get 5 more yards for his punter.

I think we should have at least tried the kick.

As it turned out, on the first play from the 7, Baltimore gained 23 yards to the 30 so what difference would it have made if Suisham missed?

Like I said in another post, if we tried the kick and missed, Baltimore would have had the shorter field to begin with and if they then gained the same 23 yds. on their first play, they would have probably scored sooner and at least we would have had maybe a minute left with a couple T.O's and only needing 3 pts. to tie.

Pinning them backfired not just because they scored but because by the time they scored we only had 8 seconds left.

NoFieldFive
11-07-2011, 05:04 PM
with the #2 defense in the NFL you should be able to count on your D to stop the other team from going 90 yards in 2 minutes

Fire Arians
11-07-2011, 05:11 PM
david johnson shoulda caught the ball.

in all seriousness, that FG was way too long to be kicked at the open end of heinz field. no way that would have been good.

FanSince72
11-07-2011, 06:10 PM
david johnson shoulda caught the ball.

in all seriousness, that FG was way too long to be kicked at the open end of heinz field. no way that would have been good.

No argument about Johnson -- he catches that ball and it's all over.

But the field goal would have been 47 yards with no wind.

I mean I probably couldn't do it, but "open end" or not, a professional kicker should be able to.

jjpro11
11-07-2011, 06:50 PM
i was glad they punted at the time.. if he misses that, they would have gotten the ball in perfect field position to set up a game winning drive. i thought our chances of stopping a 92 yard drive with 2 minutes to go were better than Suisham making a 47 yd FG at Heinz.

StainlessStill
11-07-2011, 08:21 PM
i was glad they punted at the time.. if he misses that, they would have gotten the ball in perfect field position to set up a game winning drive. i thought our chances of stopping a 92 yard drive with 2 minutes to go were better than Suisham making a 47 yd FG at Heinz.

Shit, I was more indecisive as Tomlin was at that point! My brother asked me "What do we do here? do we kick it?" My response? "Absolutely! You get points anyway you can and make it one possession!" Then at the second I said it, I hesitated "....but how awesome would it be to end this game pinning them back with the defense on the field rather than risking a so/so Suisham and risk giving them the ball at the 50 yard line.."

In my honest opinion, I thought at that point in time that there was NO better situation than what we were in to finish the game. Defense on the field, 92 yards to go, a touchdown to win it. The odds were just HUGELY stacked against Baltimore and I loved the entire situation and I'm sure the majority Steelers fans did as well.

Point blank: Flacco Roethlisberger'd us!

stb_steeler
11-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Sweet cheeks at a 47 yard FG......he missed a few 42 yarders. The punt was a better thing to do.

Fire Arians
11-07-2011, 08:32 PM

I mean I probably couldn't do it, but "open end" or not, a professional kicker should be able to.

debatable whether he would have made the kick. suisham doesn't have the best track record past 40 yards. if we were talking a prime jeff reed then sure as hell you kick the ball.

i think from now on if we win the coin toss at home, we should choose the receive the ball. I'm sure tomlin's decision would have been more decisive if we were facing the closed end of the stadium in the 4th quarter.

jjpro11
11-07-2011, 08:55 PM
i think you also have to account for the fact that the Ravens already needed a TD. it's not like a FG would have increased the lead from a one point game to a four point game. it's all really moot anyways.. we were going to kick the FG, but play clock didn't reset properly and the bonehead refs didn't realize it. right now obviously you wish they had attempted the FG.. if they make it, it's a 7 point game.. if they miss, and with the good field position, maybe the Ravens score with some time on the board for Ben to put together a drive.

Steel Peon
11-07-2011, 09:25 PM
I thought Tomlin let the clock run out to get 5 more yards for his punter.

I think we should have at least tried the kick.

As it turned out, on the first play from the 7, Baltimore gained 23 yards to the 30 so what difference would it have made if Suisham missed?

Like I said in another post, if we tried the kick and missed, Baltimore would have had the shorter field to begin with and if they then gained the same 23 yds. on their first play, they would have probably scored sooner and at least we would have had maybe a minute left with a couple T.O's and only needing 3 pts. to tie.

Pinning them backfired not just because they scored but because by the time they scored we only had 8 seconds left.
All of this..........I would have said if you hadn't.

The only thing I'll add is for anyone who compares this to SBXLV, when Tomlin stupidly put in Suisam to attempt a 52 yarder. Like I've ranted about before, I was the only guy in the bar to say "What the hell are you doing Tomlin? He won't make this kick! Punt it or go for it on 4th!"

So, you'd think I'd be right behind that same logic in a similar situation this year, but things are slightly different now. 1) Suisam was not signed mid-year, like last year, and has gotten a bit more experience since then. 2) I know he can make mid-40 yd fgs and 47 seems more than makeable now. 3) We were in the lead by 4 and that 3 would've made a giant difference, unlike in SBXLV. 4) Everything else listed in the quote.

Another mistake there Mike.

jjpro11
11-07-2011, 09:43 PM
All of this..........I would have said if you hadn't.

The only thing I'll add is for anyone who compares this to SBXLV, when Tomlin stupidly put in Suisam to attempt a 52 yarder. Like I've ranted about before, I was the only guy in the bar to say "What the hell are you doing Tomlin? He won't make this kick! Punt it or go for it on 4th!"

So, you'd think I'd be right behind that same logic in a similar situation this year, but things are slightly different now. 1) Suisam was not signed mid-year, like last year, and has gotten a bit more experience since then. 2) I know he can make mid-40 yd fgs and 47 seems more than makeable now. 3) We were in the lead by 4 and that 3 would've made a giant difference, unlike in SBXLV. 4) Everything else listed in the quote.

Another mistake there Mike.

actually, i'd argue the opposite.. last year after he was brought in, he went 14 for 15 in the regular season. this year he's only 15 for 20. i'd have more faith in him to make both the Super Bowl kick and last night's kick if it were last year rather than this year.

RatbirdExtreme
11-07-2011, 09:53 PM
the freaking refs... that explains alot. i hate to give hakesheros wacky conspiracy theories any sort of merit, but yesterday when i read that 79% of the betting public were still taking the steelers -3, i made conscious effort to see if there were any strange inconsistancies in the officiating. makes you wonder.

Nah it was a badly called game all around. Check the Raven's board sometime, its full of OMG THE NFL AND REFS HATE BALTIMORE threads. I dont buy it as a Ravens fan, nor should you as a Steelers fan.

I will say this, and we can probably agree on this much. Roger would never admit it, but he wishes Baltimore and Pittsburgh would both just go away. All of his actions since taking over indicates he doesnt really care much for Defensive minded teams and play.

To the subject at hand, that was a complete mystery to me as well. But as a Steelers fan, wouldnt you take 92 yards to go, up by 4, and 2 minutes to go against almost every NFL team?

TRH
11-07-2011, 09:57 PM

I don't think Suisham makes that kick. He's solid inside 35 yards, but NO WAY i'd bank on him making that long kick.

steelerchad
11-07-2011, 09:59 PM
I was actually relieved we got the penalty and decided to punt. I didn't have confidence Suisham would have hit the 47 yarder let alone a 52 yarder after the penalty. I thought the punt was the right decision at that point and felt even better about it after Kapinos pinned them at the 8. The Ravens had only 1 TD all game and that was set up with a PI putting them 1st and goal at the 1. With 2 minutes, I figured we'd hold with a 4 point lead. Didn't work out. I don't blame the coaches though. I thought they played it right on Offense. Passing was OK with me. If David Johnson makes the catch or Moore is looking for the ball we probably kneel it out.

TRH
11-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Nah it was a badly called game all around. Check the Raven's board sometime, its full of OMG THE NFL AND REFS HATE BALTIMORE threads. I dont buy it as a Ravens fan, nor should you as a Steelers fan.

I will say this, and we can probably agree on this much. Roger would never admit it, but he wishes Baltimore and Pittsburgh would both just go away. All of his actions since taking over indicates he doesnt really care much for Defensive minded teams and play.

To the subject at hand, that was a complete mystery to me as well. But as a Steelers fan, wouldnt you take 92 yards to go, up by 4, and 2 minutes to go against almost every NFL team?

Um, when did the refs make a bad call that went against Baltimore? Why was Lewis not called for a 15-yarder for that helmet-to-helmet against Hines Ward? Hell, even the announcers were saying the league likely will be looking at that (fine) this week. Ryan Clark was called for his hit. And it changed the field position. No penalty on Lewis, there should be no penalty on Clark. Fair is fair.
What about the booth reviews where it clearly showed balls being almost caught, dropped, and "protected by the ground" that were NOT catches, yet one went in favor of Baltimore and the other against Pittsburgh.
I hear what you're saying a badly called game, i just honestly can say it wasn't "bad all around" as you say. It was bad for us, thats for sure.

I really hate to complain and whine about refs because we deserved to lose the game the way we played that last drive out, but for a minute (if i didn't recognize the head judge's face), i thought they had called replacement scabs in for the game. It was baaaaaad.

TRH
11-07-2011, 10:04 PM
I was actually relieved we got the penalty and decided to punt. I didn't have confidence Suisham would have hit the 47 yarder let alone a 52 yarder after the penalty. I thought the punt was the right decision at that point and felt even better about it after Kapinos pinned them at the 8. The Ravens had only 1 TD all game and that was set up with a PI putting them 1st and goal at the 1. With 2 minutes, I figured we'd hold with a 4 point lead. Didn't work out. I don't blame the coaches though. I thought they played it right on Offense. Passing was OK with me. If David Johnson makes the catch or Moore is looking for the ball we probably kneel it out.

agree w/everything you said. Johnson is definitely a goat today. He blew it big time.

And there was no excuse playing that soft, prevent defense, all but allowing them to march down the field, then leaving the end zone empty at the end for a receiver to run into. Really stupid.