PDA

View Full Version : AFC North could very well have three teams in the playoffs

steelax04
11-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Lots of scenarios, obviously, but there could very well be a 13-3 team with two 12-4 teams. If the AFC East beats up on each other enough, particularly with Buffalo playing @ Jets and @ NE, the AFC North could have three teams in the show.

If the Steelers can take care of business, and even just split the series with Cincinnati, the outlook is still very good.

Still half of the season to play, so it's wild speculation, but I thought it would be a good topic of discussion.

stb_steeler
11-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Good point......but it aint gonna be easy by no means. Looks like we'll have to do it the hard way if we can.

StainlessStill
11-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Honestly? Cincy is a good tester of a game. I do NOT believe they are better than Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Denver at one point was 6-2 in 2009. We were 6-2 at one point in past years and crumbled. Even the Giants some years ago had a 6-0 record but then collapsed because it's the second half of the schedule that defines good teams.

Now, I appreciate what Cincy is doing on the field, especially their trainwreck of an off-season and dealing with the crummy spot-light that always seems to come out of Bungle-town but starting Sunday, we'll see how they match up with the meat of their foundation. I don't see Cincy as a playoff contender. Maybe a tough opponent, but no contender.

stb_steeler
11-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Honestly? Cincy is a good tester of a game. I do NOT believe they are better than Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Denver at one point was 6-2 in 2009. We were 6-2 at one point in past years and crumbled. Even the Giants some years ago had a 6-0 record but then collapsed because it's the second half of the schedule that defines good teams.

Now, I appreciate what Cincy is doing on the field, especially their trainwreck of an off-season and dealing with the crummy spot-light that always seems to come out of Bungle-town but starting Sunday, we'll see how they match up with the meat of their foundation. I don't see Cincy as a playoff contender. Maybe a tough opponent, but no contender.

Did they really play any contender teams besides Ravens yet?

StainlessStill
11-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Did they really play any contender teams besides Ravens yet?

I believe they beat San Francisco but that's without looking at the schedule at the moment. I could be wrong. Other than that, cupcakes.

Edit: They beat Buffalo, not San Francisco.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5545/bungs.png

Fire Arians
11-07-2011, 07:27 PM
I believe they beat San Francisco but that's without looking at the schedule at the moment. I could be wrong. Other than that, cupcakes.

they lost to san francisco. strongest win they had was last week's win over the 4-4 titans.

but hey, they're still 6-2 and have been consistent, they're at least a pretty good team that shouldnt be taken lightly.

they still have 2 games vs the steelers and 2 vs the ravens. cincy might get kicked out of the picture if they can't at least split those games

stb_steeler
11-07-2011, 07:30 PM
^ I agree.......like i always say, any giving sunday!

StainlessStill
11-07-2011, 07:31 PM
^ I agree.......like i always say, any giving sunday!

Yeah. This rings true ESPECIALLY for the 2011 NFL season. Lets hope we come out firing on all cylinders because that place will be rockin'. Sellout.

Yehoodi
11-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Lots of scenarios, obviously, but there could very well be a 13-3 team with two 12-4 teams. If the AFC East beats up on each other enough, particularly with Buffalo playing @ Jets and @ NE, the AFC North could have three teams in the show.

If the Steelers can take care of business, and even just split the series with Cincinnati, the outlook is still very good.

Still half of the season to play, so it's wild speculation, but I thought it would be a good topic of discussion.

yes it is going to be a great Nov and Dec for games . . . and either one of our divisions (AFC north or East) could have 3 playoff teams . . . however, with both divisions having 3 teams with 3 or fewer losses it might be tough for one division to get two WC spots . . .they might en up canceling each other out and who is the division winner/WC position and the respective teams in the other divisions . . . quirky things can happen like Pitt/Balt/NE all having the say the same record, but NE would get the edge over Pitt as Balt would win the division even tho pit has the TB against NE,same could be true ot pit/cinn/ne have same record and pit wins the divisions and would then beat NE for a higer seed . . .

I do think each set of teams will have to sweep the 4th team, mia and cle, to have a sure shot of getting three teams in . . .otherwise i think it will be tough

i think this might be another year where a 11-5 team is watching in Jan, . . .

Nevermore
11-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Other than that, cupcakes.

Careful judging a teams validity based on who they have beat. The teams the Steelers have beat this year have a combined record of 15-31.

Cincy combined opponents they beat record, 16-30.

I think you are a better team than the Bungles, but Sunday will tell for sure.

OX1947
11-07-2011, 09:39 PM
I do not see the Steelers losing more then 1 game the rest of the season. So, 12-4 is the record I see. Ravens seem to play down to their competition. That win after being down 21 against the Cards may have been bigger in the long run.

Big Daddy Beast
11-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Frankly I'm not scared of the Cincy Kids, but this is the NFL. Any team can win on any day. Funny how well they're doing without two previous key offensive weapons.

Won't be the first time one division put in three teams. The NFC North has a similar situation brewing.

I actually favor the idea of running into Baltimore in the playoffs. Revenge is a dish best served cold, with a side of payback.

GMU Steeler
11-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Careful judging a teams validity based on who they have beat. The teams the Steelers have beat this year have a combined record of 15-31.

Cincy combined opponents they beat record, 16-30.

I think you are a better team than the Bungles, but Sunday will tell for sure.

Fair point. I do think it is legitimate to wonder how they will do against teams like ours and yours though. I'll also admit to being impressed with Dalton and Green both. And they flat out committed highway robbery on the Raiders in the Palmer trade.

steelfury02
11-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Next week's game in enemy territory is going to be tough. I have a feeling that the youngin's running that squad don't know any better, and might play us without any fear. We just don't scare people right now like we used to so they could at the very least make this one a heart attack. The Steelers aren't very familiar with this group of Bengals - very different (and improved) opponent.

Glass half full but man I just want to get a W at Cincy before the bye to give us something to talk about instead of the Stench that has come back again and is even more potent.

Fire Arians
11-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Next week's game in enemy territory is going to be tough. I have a feeling that the youngin's running that squad don't know any better, and might play us without any fear. We just don't scare people right now like we used to so they could at the very least make this one a heart attack. The Steelers aren't very familiar with this group of Bengals - very different (and improved) opponent.

Glass half full but man I just want to get a W at Cincy before the bye to give us something to talk about instead of the Stench that has come back again and is even more potent.

we'll see how the rookie reacts when he has james harrison in his face for the first time. I think that sight scares the bravest of souls :tt04:

Big Daddy Beast
11-08-2011, 11:51 AM
we'll see how the rookie reacts when he has james harrison in his face for the first time. I think that sight scares the bravest of souls :tt04:
Keith Rivers might tell the youngsters (on defense, natch) to be more wary of Hines than James. I'm just saying is all I'm saying.