View Full Version : Not the same old Steelers

mesaSteeler
11-08-2011, 07:01 AM
Not the same old Steelers
User Rating: / 7
PoorBest
Tuesday, 08 November 2011 00:45
Written by Bob Smizik
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/30694-not-necessary-the-same-old-steelers

There is a tendency to look at the Steelers 6-3 record and believe with some degree of certainty that all will be well; that the team will rebound from the loss to Baltimore; that it will make the playoffs; that it might even win the division.

For example, I fully expect them to beat the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday at Paul Brown Stadium, not so much based on what has happened this season but based on what has happened in the past.

These are the Steelers, and our minds, and perhaps our hearts, tells us they do things other team cannot do.

Why, for example, should there be reason for concern about an uneven 6-3 start when we know their recent past? Who can forget 2005, when they were not only 7-5 but in the midst of a three-game losing streak and given up for dead only to begin a winning streak that did not end until they were hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.

If you believe in this team you believe for one reason: They are the Steelers. Nothing else, save some outstanding individuals, about the team shrieks of success. Only their history.

But history does not win football games. The NFL is no respecter of history. It’s a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. And lately -- 2011 -- the Steelers are not quite ordinary but also not quite championship caliber.

That 6-3 record includes a win over one team, New England, with a winning record. Those wins have come against opponents that are a combined 15-34. Included in those wins are a three-point victory over 0-9 Indianapolis, a team that otherwise has lost by an average of 19 points a game, and by four points to Jacksonville, which is 2-6 and held the Steelers scoreless in the second half.

The Steelers five remaining opponents (seven games) are a combined 21-18. Only two of the five have losing record. The one-time cupcake schedule is considerable more difficult than originally believed.

So if you are getting ready for a gallant charge to the finish and another trip deep into the playoffs, don’t be so certain. Yes, these are the Steelers. But they’re the 2011 Steelers and thus far they’ve done nothing.

Steel_Bus_24
11-08-2011, 08:05 AM
I would have had a negative outlook like this just a few weeks ago....but Im leaning on the side of us still being a title contender this season

The difference??? Max Starks and Gilbert....These guys are finally starting to stabilize our O-Line.....

Before, with Scott out there it was just a mess and there was no way we were going to be competitive with Pass Protection like that

As long as the Steelers don't let this last loss effect their mind, we should be able to rally and stay in the hunt....and if we can keep relatively healthy for a final push, we'll still have a good shot

FanSince72
11-08-2011, 08:48 AM
I see a team in transition.

This season we discovered things about our offense that we knew were there but the coaching staff was either reluctant to admit they saw those things too or was denying that those things existed. Those "things" were a pass-first preference and a more open and dynamic offensive capability which of course is not many people's vision of "Steeler Football".

Thankfully, Tomlin and others have come to their senses and recognized this tendency and are now in the process of refining it. But it IS a process and it will take time to sort through what CAN be done and hopefully they'll end up with a solid list of what SHOULD be done.
This type of offense is very different for the coaches, the fans and to some extent to many players themselves especially the veterans who have played more traditional "Steeler Football" for so long that it will take some time to adapt to the new paradigm.

But I think that in the end, changing our approach to the way we play offensively towards a more open-ended style of play will pay dividends but like anything else, will take time to refine. It is both fortunate and unnerving that we discovered all of this while the season is underway but it is what it is and I credit Tomlin & Co. for the willingness to work with it rather than stubbornly adhering to some mythical stereotype of how we should be playing football.

That transition is why writers and other watchers can't quite figure out what to say about us. But if this transition works out as I think it will, this team will be unstoppable and I can't wait to see the finished product!

steelfury02
11-08-2011, 09:15 AM
it's tough to say this but

Not every year will give us, the fans, the results we want - we have extremely high expectations - and as someone mentioned, the expectations are probably the equivalent of what Yankees fans expect out of their team every single season, year in, year out. That will always set us up for huge letdowns.

I agree - we are a team in transition and while we all respect a lot of guys that continued the winning Steelers tradition, I'm also looking to embrace the change, hard as it may be. The bottom line is that we all want this team to win, so whatever that means - I'm all for it. I'm not worried about older vets getting their respect - no team respects their players like the Steelers organization (i.e. Smith's situation, and a lot of others)

I'm gonna try really hard to take a step back and enjoy every week, every win no matter who it is against. I think we'd all agree this 2011 Steelers are at the very least competitors and a playoff caliber team - that alone could lead us anywhere.

Now let's go put that Red Rifle in his place!:tt03:

FanSince72
11-08-2011, 11:08 AM
it's tough to say this but

Not every year will give us, the fans, the results we want - we have extremely high expectations - and as someone mentioned, the expectations are probably the equivalent of what Yankees fans expect out of their team every single season, year in, year out. That will always set us up for huge letdowns.

I agree - we are a team in transition and while we all respect a lot of guys that continued the winning Steelers tradition, I'm also looking to embrace the change, hard as it may be. The bottom line is that we all want this team to win, so whatever that means - I'm all for it. I'm not worried about older vets getting their respect - no team respects their players like the Steelers organization (i.e. Smith's situation, and a lot of others)

I'm gonna try really hard to take a step back and enjoy every week, every win no matter who it is against. I think we'd all agree this 2011 Steelers are at the very least competitors and a playoff caliber team - that alone could lead us anywhere.

Now let's go put that Red Rifle in his place!:tt03:

Very true.

But when you love a team that since 1972 has been to the playoffs 26 times, been to the AFC Championship game 15 times, has been to 8 Super Bowls and won 6 of them...

it's kinda hard not to have high expectations.

JC16
11-08-2011, 11:10 AM
The old Steelers wouldn't have let the Ravens march down the field like that. On the other hand, Torrey Smith clearly pushed William Gay (http://thexlog.com/201111080825/xtra-point-football/nfl/offensive-pass-interference-torrey-smith/) on that game-winning play.

FanSince72
11-08-2011, 11:15 AM
The old Steelers wouldn't have let the Ravens march down the field like that. On the other hand, Torrey Smith clearly pushed William Gay (http://thexlog.com/201111080825/xtra-point-football/nfl/offensive-pass-interference-torrey-smith/) on that game-winning play.

Yeah I hear you.

But the only thing to do is to break the rear-view mirror and keep driving because what's behind you doesn't matter.

Fire Arians
11-08-2011, 11:47 AM
we don't have to win the super bowl, if we kick the ravens or new england out of the playoffs ill be satisfied with the season lol

but i would stop with that 'we aren't a contender' talk, we are. this team is going through a youth movement and will hit a couple bumps along the way. The amount of talent we have on the field can't be denied for long.

we just went up against maybe the AFC's best team and they brought their A game. We played without several key players and still gave them all they could handle, maybe even should have won. I wouldn't be so quick to lose hope people.

FanSince72
11-08-2011, 12:23 PM
we don't have to win the super bowl, if we kick the ravens or new england out of the playoffs ill be satisfied with the season lol

but i would stop with that 'we aren't a contender' talk, we are. this team is going through a youth movement and will hit a couple bumps along the way. The amount of talent we have on the field can't be denied for long.

we just went up against maybe the AFC's best team and they brought their A game. We played without several key players and still gave them all they could handle, maybe even should have won. I wouldn't be so quick to lose hope people.

Absolutely!

Right now we're just a 1/2 game out of first in the division and Conference-wide we're a six-seed in the playoff picture -- and there are still 7 games left to play.

We may not be in the driver's seat right now but we're definitely riding shotgun.

RatbirdExtreme
11-08-2011, 10:39 PM
we don't have to win the super bowl, if we kick the ravens or new england out of the playoffs ill be satisfied with the season lol.

I for one am not completely sure the Patriots will be in the playoffs. They lose to the Jets this weekend and I'm thinking their season is about as over as a season can be after 9 games.

And the Ravens? All I can say is this. Like the Steelers, we are pretty lethal at home, and that's what we are shooting for.

Steelerindc
11-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Bottom line these guys have to handle business from this point forward. We should have won that game but we didn't.

Let's get rid of the stupid Delay penalties that take out of scoring range. (on another note: if it takes that longs to decide if you want your "k" to kick a FG or not, then you need another kicker.)

We should still run the ball a bit more, it would make PA work a little better in the RZ. I think we will be ok.

SoCalFan
11-09-2011, 12:13 PM
We need to figure out some things on D...The ratbird game had all the makings of a blowout! Even with a limited recieving corp,they didnt really have an answer for us! IF we could have gotten off the field on half of those 3rd downs that were converted,Ben gets the ball that much more!=Blowout! No we are not the same old Steelers,but the league has changed as a whole and we are evolving! Im really excited at some of the young talent on this team! Believe me when I say,if we can get the rats in the playoffs (at full strength) they will be shell shocked and once again,knocked out of the playoffs buy the Steelers,AGAIN!!!:tt03: